Why do they do this shit now jesus fuck

why do they do this shit now jesus fuck

Attached: Screenshot_5.png (1300x839, 1.76M)

Other urls found in this thread:

kk.org/thetechnium/1000-true-fans/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ad revenue

they are the exact videos that a person who would consider to buy a "gaming laptop" would watch

im not calling LTT fans the highest tier of intelligence, but you would think they'd be at least self aware enough to be against this shit

it works

*dumb face*
*bright background*
*outlined product*

JUST LIKE TO THANK OUR SPONSOR INTEL

every fucking video

Attached: 1542062163574.jpg (1533x1015, 198K)

If they are aware about this shit then LTT wouldn't be doing this in the first place.

Whoever creates those thumbnail images should be ashamed. They should withdraw into the darkness to consider what they've done and come out into the light when they've cleansed their soul.

They do hate it, but getting ~5-10% more views from normies was worth selling their soul to the clickbait devil

Genius built his business on an ad revenue model and didn't plan for the adpocalypse. If floatplane fails he's offing himself.

You do know that there's many statistics that prove that weird facial expressions + lots of colors in thumbnails results in more views, right?
Even YouTube suggests this in their documentation to do this. Literally every thumbnail is
>close up on face
>bright saturated colors
>huge outlined text
>circles, arrows and question marks
And as an accompanying title, it has to at least contain one fully capitalized word and question marks.

I automatically ignore thumbnails like that since it looks like generic ad shit.

Don't forget, it has to be 10 minutes long!

That's a requirement to be able to add as many midroll ads as you want.

You might, but one autist less and 1000 normies gained is better for ad revenue.

Yes I know of course. Prostitution for views, everyone can do. It's become normalized on YouTube now, so now most popular channels shamelessly exploit these forbidden techniques. Likewise when someone asks for a Like, I give them a dislike as punishment.

There a video on why he uses clickbait thumbnails.

Basically it works and he's not sorry about it either.

>That's a requirement to be able to add as many midroll ads as you want.
Please elaborate

It's to attract normies who are still new to tech or trying to get more into it. He's running a business to make money, so I can't exactly blame the guy. Other than that his video are still decent and informative.

10min allows for more ads lol, simple as that. I don't make videos but its been a meme for a long time that creators are "just trying to hit that 10:01". all clickbait videos for muh vidya and lifestyle blogs do it.

Midroll ads are "breaks" in the regular video that you wanted to watch that play for five seconds and then you can skip them. In videos shorter than 10 minutes you have a chance to get a midroll at at the beginning of your video. If the video is longer than 10 minutes, its long enough to justify more ads, the default on these are a midroll ad in the beginning and near the end, but the channel has the possibility to change the timestamps on these, for for example if there's a deliberate pause in your video between subjects for example, you can trigger the ad at that moment, it's more "natural." However, there are channels that exploited the power to customize when you can trigger midroll ads to have at least 10 of them in a single 12 minute long video.

because clickbait sells and people who watch gaymen computer youtube channels are by and large idiots of the highest order

this shit pays. that's why they're doing it.

They have a business to keep up with employees. What the fuck do you faggots expect ?

How the hell can he profit enough to keep a large warehouse and 25 employees afloat? He gets probably 2.5m views a day tops which is only like $2500 after yt changed rev

It's YouTube. It's full of cancerous children and retards who can't get enough of clickbait for some reason. The last freelancing job I had was actually for a network of "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT" and "HOW CAN NASA HIDE THIS FROM US?!" type bullshit clickbait.

I had to research a bunch of stories from suspicious domains on obvious clickbait headlines and come up with 2,000 words for all of them.

Also, every single YouTuber who has ever approached me to write scripts for them was cheap as fuck. They're extremely cheap. If only Mr. Beast would contact me for ideas, he loves spending money.

Is Linus legit or not? Serious question

He explained that in some cases a flashy thumbnail can result in a 50% increase in viewers, pretty sure he's fully aware how faggy it looks but that's the state of youtube.

It's not just views, which fluctuate. It's sponsors, advertising, affiliates and your own merchandise. Most of the product reviews and shit are paid for by the company sending the product. You rarely ever see a negative product review for that reason.

I code for a company which works for fb in making midroll ads. So any doubts other than algorithm i can discuss.

On that note though, even if your overhead is fairly low do sponsors reallly pay that much?

>le self-aware

To a channel with millions of views on every video? A fucking shit load. I know a Twitch streamer with only 200-250 average viewers that was making a few hundred dollars an hour to play some shitty weeb mobile game. Rich companies have no concept of money. They will pay a ridiculous amount of money for you to shill their shitty products.

Do they still get the ad revenue with an adblock? I've been actively avoiding to watch videos of exactly 10:01, 10:02, and the like, but if I could give them a nice big fuck you that would be peachy.

Attached: 10937399ecba071fe55abddebac4d774.jpg (1024x768, 61K)

>Mr. Beast
I hate that nigger. He gives away 10k to random twitch thots but says he'll ignore and block you if you ask him for money. Fucking kike, you want to give it away, GIVE IT TO ME.

Attached: lNt-Bo.gif (320x436, 3.84M)

Literally because it gets more views, they did a video explaining it and talking about how they don't like it but money is money.

Go to hooktube and don't give 'em views

Everytime I consider subscribing I see 3 phone, laptop or screen reviews that week
and why is the first 2 minutes of each ltt video useless talk?

soi milk

This. Some YouTubers even openly talk about how they do it and why it matters. Digibro has talked a lot about it and a few other YouTubers said that they tested having and not having a stupid face in the thumbnail and found that it actually made a difference.
>one autist less and 1000 normies gained is better for ad revenue
It's worse than that. If you want to obtain autist true fans (kk.org/thetechnium/1000-true-fans/) with the end goal of replacing ad revenue with Patreon, you still need to reach a broad audience from which to recruit these autists. Baiting normalfags is in your interest even then.

>adpocalypse
When?

Are midroll ads effective? Are you seeing an increase in ad blocking? Do you think the video ad industry will last or will video ads be replaced with the actual YouTubers talking about sponsored shit?

Didn't hooktube had to switch to the youtube api when the jews caught up to it?

yep
t. made hooktube

Do you think it would be viable to just download the video youtube-dl style and share it with the other viewers via WebTorrent? That way you don't need API access.

You know he doesnt actually give away most of the money, theyre paid actors for the most part

Yes. Few people hate it, but a lot of normies click it. A lot of "business organizers" click it and want to be in on it since it's the newest tech in a sense.
It's the future though. Expect more after the new year and leading upto new year on fb.
It wont be exactly in the middle in the future. It will be once but it will be in places where the actual video is useless.

So our ((contractors)) love that idea currently. People hate it but normies and business suits dont give a fuck.

I think you should meme the hooktube replacements that went up within a week of hooktube going down.

And when they go down a year or so from now, meme the dozen new guys. Youtube can't win vs yt-dl.

It's not too far fetched actually. Look at Discovery's "reality" shows for instance.

Can they sue you for developing/hosting a HookTube clone?

They won't. They'll eventually C&D you if you become a huge thing. Just a letter promising to sue unless you stop.

>facebook video
>midroll ads
Nobody can trust you. Facebook has kept incorrect statistics. All the numbers were blown up just to make facebook seem like a wise option to invest advertisements in. All advertisers got scammed, because scrolling over a video in your timeline counted as a full on view. Your ads mean nothing.

>why do they do this shit now jesus fuck
so you know what to avoid it's aservice really

Alright keep scratching the surface mate and stay happy knowing them.

they made an entire video that said "yeah, we hate it, i fucking hate that i have to make epic funny faces for thumbnails but it makes us money"

Attached: cuckmaster.png (269x173, 31K)

Linus himself said about it a while ago.

Actual OP here to that question, you dont know what midroll ads are. Better read up on them before you talk like a know it all. Stop talking like a leftists.
Just a hint, midroll currently is ads in between the videos. No adblocker will save them because they will be ingrained into the video itself.

To hit the 10 minute mark

They said that these thumbnails gives them 12% more views

No.

They turn me off. You'd have to be an NPC to like that.

I hate what youtube has become

>call out facebook on their bs and bad practices
>facebook employee gets butthurt
>"y-you're j-just ignorant!"
>Facebook knowingly cashed in on exaggerated metrics for video, according to documents from a class action lawsuit, at the same time the company’s increased emphasis on video inspired major news and sports media outlets to pivot coverage strategy to include more video content.
>literally public news

The fuck are you talking about. I posted . If you use adblock while watching a video, and you don't get an ad (sometimes adblock gets circumvented for a few weeks as they need to add the new exceptions), neither google nor the content creator will receive profit from that view.

This. The moment you could earn money by doing youtube vids it went down the drain. But then again, if YouTube didn't do it, someone else would have.

>video starts with "what's up guys"
>pause, dislike, close tab

At least it isn't
>What's up, folks!

Why do you watch content made for children?

I think you're overestimating the LTT crowd.
The entire category of content is meaningless for a regular audience. LTT aside. Are you buying a new headset/computer/mouse/whatever every month? Then most likely you're not buying the relatively high end stuff LTT is looking at. What's the point in watching endless benchmarks?

There's no point. They watch for the character. I'm not clean in this (if it's dirty). I watch many cooking shows where I'm extremely unlikely to make the dishes most of the time. Sometimes it's shit I wouldn't even try. Like eastern European fermented beet juice.

At that point, when you watch for the character you have to look at the insides of the video, ignore any factual value (LTT is very slim on this compared to better sources last i checked) and just look at the things they would enjoy that are overarching themes. I haven't looked at that. But I'm assuming there's some. Does it matter if they have some stupid thumbnail then? No.

You are asking this on a website that created bronies.

thank you for motivating me to install a browser extension that allows me to blacklist youtube channels and keywords. Blocked that effeminate faggot right away along with Kotaku and Late Night Shows/Jimmy Kimmel/Colbert etc

Attached: penn_jillette.jpg (300x400, 31K)

>They watch for the character
Absolutely true, in my experience. People come because they care about the topic but stay because they get attached to the personalities. It's like how they pick an anime for the cool robot fights, but end up rewatching it to see the cute girls interact again.
>fermented beet juice
You'd have to be either old or a hipster to make kvass out of beet juice. Rye bread is what you should make it with if you're new to the drink. It's easy as long as you can obtain the yeast culture.
t. Eastern European

The fact that you knew by beet juice he meant kvass makes me very happy to be here.

t. Grandson of a Russian expat

You know, it wasn't hard to guess he meant kvass. There is no other Eastern European fermented beet juice drink that I'm aware of, and I live here.

Don't get overexcited, user. Aside from the occasional moment of competence and the beet juice expertise this board is shit.

The amount of posts making fun of Linus in this thread that are valid are equal to the number of 6-figure cameras the poster can buy at the moment.

>it's your boy

Attached: yuck.png (600x550, 34K)

say thanks to Youtube Analytics

vids with this kind of thumbnail get more clicks, people are attracted to faces and specially faces making weird faces

They call this "engagement", all those 45-years-old youtube celebrities make his ugly face a personal brand. The reality Linus he will never get enough money for a living if his youtube channel dies, he also don't have any real life profession or job.

If you enjoy watching this low IQ moron's content you should reconsider your life.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Sword Art Online - Alicization - 01.jpg (1920x1080, 203K)

> posts indistinguishable from a chatbot
> regurgitates a dumb Jow Forums meme
> calls other people NPCs

I don't know how to break it to you, but

for me, it's jayztwocents

You are saying that about a website that has produced solutions to unresolved mathematical problems and made a meme the president of the united states of america.

I hate that, too

because it works
that's it
he even said that in one of his videos that he didn't want to, but it works too good to stop

There is a common spirit to all three.

Reminder that even if his content is shit, he has an enormous range of influence.

His 9900K video got more views than Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, JayzTwoCents, etc., combined AND doubled. So now you have 1.5 million people out there who think that the 9900K runs cooler and quieter than previous generations despite literally every other outlet saying otherwise.

Stats like that are why companies so desperately want to be shilled by him.

>because it works
but literally why when it seems like everyone hates it

Who knows, humans are mysterious things.

If I was an epic youtuber I could make an exact video on this

a lot of youtubers are doing the same stupid shit, They make that shit expression and use a random phrase instead of talking about what the fuck is going on on the video

>unironically watching zoomer tech tips
holy shit

Attached: cantwakeup.png (1281x1061, 812K)

Some of the really high budget stuff wouldn't surprise me, but for the most part the math checks out when you look at how many views he gets, and the fact that the videos are sponsored on top of that.

>expecting a man running a company with employees not to shill for money
The fuck are you faggots on about. Do you have literally zero understanding of how the world works?

Because when people already watch his videos most people just click it anyway. The real difference it makes is when the algorithm decides to start pushing his videos on to someone new. Most people eventually cave and watch whatever youtube decides they want to watch. They know what they're doing and most people aren't actively trying to say fuck you to the system and go against it.

Is this guy a woman?

Attached: how-men-and-women-take-photos.jpg (500x356, 32K)

So if it's completely for an algorithm then why does the algorithm promote these types of icons?

>Do you have literally zero understanding of how the world works?
Funny, I thought that in the real world, to make money you had to provide quality products to your customers.
LTT videos are garbage and he doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about.
The 51 y-o boomer in pic completely destroys him, yet he has way less subscribers, makes less views and has no sponsoring.

Attached: Based.jpg (900x900, 145K)

>friend disables adblock on youtube to "support the creators"
Anyone of you know someone like this?

Attached: mockingly laughing hands to knees pepe.png (515x821, 59K)

I somehow managed to delete an entire sentence while fixing a spelling error. I was going to say that it makes his conversion rate higher and gets people to actually click them when youtube decides to promote them, which causes youtube to promote them even more. That cycle is what leads them to spam it so fucking hard into people's suggestion boxes that they eventually just cave and watch one.

>, I thought that in the real world, to make money you had to provide quality products to your customers.
Look at apple vs motorola or intel vs amd kiddo

Sweetie, Apple and Intel are quality despite being overpriced.

That's because you're not Linus's target audience. His target audience does see it is quality for the most part. He doesn't care about you. Simple as that.
>but they complain about the thumbnails too
They still watch his videos, don't they? Most people don't really give a shit about the thumbnail. It's really just a marketing image to get people to click on the video. I suppose you also think that companies that advertise (especially if the ads aren't targeted towards you) are morally bad and probably have shit products.

Meanwhile, his target audience has minimal interest in the kind of content Christopher makes. It's not as flashy and energetic, and it's usually more technical.
Also, even his stuff that would appeal to them isn't as likely to get clicked because (shocker) he doesn't use bright, flashy, attention grabbing thumbnails.
All things equal, people are usually going to click the thumbnail they notice first more often than not.

I'd have agreed with you 5 years ago, but honestly I've had nothing but bad experiences with apple for the past few years. They're really losing their touch.
I used to really like my 17" macbook pro, but every apple product I've touched since that one died has given me some kind of problem that was only fixed by moving away from apple.

>They're really losing their touch.
That's not a specific Apple problem. The whole high-tech industry is basically turning to shit, quality is only going down.