Why is it so comfy, bros?

Why is it so comfy, bros?

Attached: 1200px-Visual_Studio_Code_1.18_icon.svg.png (1200x1195, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/java
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Studio_Code
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/16131
github.com/VSCodium/vscodium
github.com/Microsoft/vscode
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's coded by professionals who actually get paid for their talent

It's fuken based.
Literally just werks and I don't see any advantages in using anything else.

fpbp

>inb4 reeee buttnet reeee!

FPBP. Freetards can't cope enough

just use the build directly of the open source repo, not the microsoft version

b-but vscode is freetard software

It's open source, but Microsoft has employees that write the code. Imagine getting paid to create software!

It's not developed by them, that's the key point.

Free Software does not mean not being paid to write it, nor does it mean the software being gratis.

No Java support. Shit.

>Java developer
>brainlet
every time

code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/java

Because of the inegrated terminal I dont have to change windows when I want to compile something

Because it collects all your data, duh!

>talent
>"let's design the GUI"
>"up until now each and every single program in windows has had the sidebar to the left."
>"let's put it on the right!"
>"we need to have a way for people to give us suggestions."
>"let's put a smiley in the top right corner of the window that'll snap a screenshot of your code every time you click it!"

I asked in sqt but
I'm using Ubuntu and my menu bar in vscode turned white after an update. How do I change it back?
(pic is from google since I'm not on my laptop right now)

Attached: 1524980119175.png (956x159, 446K)

Any one tried vscodium?

And shit vscode is outdated in arch's repository.

I am using nvim and want to switch to vscode.

Yeah it just means that everyone can fork your project and offer it at a lower price / for free and slap their name on it

Because the vim plugin is good enough. Vscode literally saved my life from a existence of suffering.

Using vscodium on macOS. It's literally the same but without telemetry and shittier icons. I removed the document icons and swapped the app icon from regular vscode.

Thanks user
How is it compared to atom?
I tried atom a month ago. It used to take too much time to open up on my laptop

install gentoo

Not him but I'm always having problems using java in vscode. I've just given up.

>comfy
>literally
>unironically

words used by retarded people

I personally prefer it more than atom. Has more things built-in from the getgo, default settings are also more tolerable. I'd prefer it even more if it felt more "native" to my OS but neither does atom. From my experience, atom does take a long time to boot up and I haven't had this with vscodium.

Thank you user

Attached: best-of-luck-fren.jpg (250x223, 8K)

>achieving ultimate comfiness isn't his one single truly important life goal

I fully disrespect you as an user and a human.

>"Editor"
And that's without extensions

Attached: explorer_2018-11-13_20-01-13.png (726x481, 25K)

Mine is 187 MB, maybe stop language hopping and learn something you can actually excel in.

>718 MB of extensions

what

fuck vs code

>"let's put it on the right!"
as far as i can tell its still on the left, maybe you are talking about another left that is right?
>"let's put a smiley in the top right corner of the window that'll snap a screenshot of your code every time you click it!"
left click on that button -> hide
WOW that was hard

I have not even included the exentsions folder you fucking lying faggots. The extensions folder is in your home folder and not in Roaming and Local. I don't use VSCode for anything except for JS/Vue.

>Mine is 187 MB
Fucking brainlet. That's VSCode only but since VSCode is based on Electron which in turn spawns fucking Chrome containers, you'll have full blown cache folders n sht.

Proof how clueless nodejs hipsters are. They don't realize what's happening below their ultra high level scripting language.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Studio_Code
>Visual Studio Code collects usage data and sends it to Microsoft, although this telemetry reporting can be disabled.[20] The data is shared among Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries and with law enforcement, per the privacy statement.[21]
How important is this feature in an editor?
>github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/16131

Was meant towards visual studio

>MUH PRIVACY
>MUH SECRET SAUCE CODE
seriously kys

absolutelly based and redpilled

No telemetry. Jef brains ides are a million times better

>we'll fix it we promise xoxoxoxo
>thumbs down
>never gets fixed

Attached: 1512875793449.gif (200x350, 157K)

same here but for python. both jedi and the new language server fail to parse some files so i have to use pycharm.

Based and redpilled

Tried installing community version one time and it fucking took forever when I selected a couple of C /C++ add-ons. Worst mistake of my life trusting this overengineered piece of shit.

We're talking about Visual Studio Code, not the full Visual Studio.

My bad. Not really in the loop I guess. My opinion would probably be the same if it's a bloated nightmare and I can't do simple tasks easily.

Visual Studio (the old one) is a behemoth that is frankly far too complex.
I'm sure it's great if you're making some seriously complicated shit, but most of its use today is just grandfathered in.

I used it for years in my last job on a WPF project that was endlessly chasing its tail - the whole thing got so bloated it took up to 5 minutes at times to compile for debugging.
I still have nightmares about it. I love my VSCode so much...

You can move everything around in visual studio and if you log in your preferences follow you. Basically everything is customizable.

Obviously fuck wins.

If you think VS Code is comfy try spacemacs. I still use VS Code for some work and Vue.js stuff but every new task I move to spacemacs becomes more efficient and squishy.

I don't get it. It's not an IDE by any stretch of the imagination. So why would you use it over the thousands of better text editors out there? Unless you're using Typescript or something that only it properly supports?

It's not about how complicated the shit you're making is it's about how involved your development team and deployment process is. MSVS is a one-stop-shop for version control, cloud deployment, cloud monitoring, setting up automated test scenarios, debugging (including debugging things that are running in external environments). In terms of being an IDE it's a damn good one. It's just a shame that the compiler/builder that all those features are built around is pretty shitty.

It's a comfy midpoint between editors like sublime and vim and IDEs like VS or eclipse.

It really shines when doing web dev. It ships with a nice integrated terminal and a minimal and discoverable interface (ctrl shift p). All extensions 'just werk' and it has a ton of them. Extension development difficulty is somewhere between vim and emacs difficulty, so actually pretty easy. Install the material icon set and the Vim extension for maximum comfy. I use it for Vue.js stuff and it's real nice for that. For everything else there's spacemacs :^)

is there a icecat-to-firefox type fork of vscode?

thats only in the microsoft version.
the open source version doesnt have the NSA spyware.
theres 3 major verison of vscode.
the officially distributed one by microsoft with all the bells and whistles. the open source one that is compiled from the official repository. and the fork called visual codium or something like that.

>the open source version doesnt have the NSA spyware.
It literally does, you can't disable telemetry at compile-time, only via configs.

maybe i should rephrase.
the open source version lets you disable the NSA stuff. the ms version does not(even if you set the config to disabled i doubt its actually doing it). and codium completely lacks it.

Did you set your locale to he-IL or something?

You can do the same with VS Code.

github.com/VSCodium/vscodium

vscodium

It's decent.

Attached: hapysneku.png (700x632, 522K)

I installed it yesterday
OOB it opens up quickly on my toster whereas atom take too much time.
Though uninstalled it after using it for hour or 2 cuz muh vim.

I definitely can recommend to text editor to others.

Does jetbrains even have a simple text editor? Pretty sure they only make full blown IDEs.

>poofessionals ist a good thing
no

What differs it with atom and brackets?

bloat proprietary piece of shit

Attached: nano.jpg (480x480, 58K)

Late, but this is controlled by "window.titleBarStyle". They changed the default setting two updates ago, which is why it changed for you recently.

>nano
>not busybox vi

>>"up until now each and every single program in windows has had the sidebar to the left."
>>"let's put it on the right!
Are you have stupid

Attached: mystery.png (1303x744, 187K)

how do i put in my own custom compiler on it?
>just started using it this week after years of not programming

trying to restart my life, hope it works this time

Freetards need to learn, they can't escape the botnet. If they were freetards, they pick up on Ted's teachings and go postal on tech giant's.

Can anyone recommend some extensions?

instead of tech giants, why not ur mum?
>glow nigger

Attached: 1541964158513.png (610x613, 107K)

vscode is so goddamn wasteful and power hungry
I get worse battery life with just vscode open than if I was running a full linux instance in a VM and writing software through ssh.

How to move this shit from system disk?

I don't understand how any tech nerd would not use Emacs. It's probably the most worth learning piece of software.

I hate it.
It looks, feels and werks identically to Atom.
For a light-weigh text editor, I prefer Sublime.
Otherwise, regular Visual Studio.

I use it in my college html class and it's nice.
I got a plugin to live preview (when I save) the page I'm working on in a second pane
Pretty based even for entry level things like this class

>Not multi-platform

Just use Qt you faggots

Attached: 1521205436925.jpg (580x346, 50K)

>a nice theme
using Material Dark Soda rn, pretty nice
>rainbow brackets
extremely useful no matter the language

>not multi platform
since when?

why would I?
>obscure key bindings, learning them would take a lot of time
>terminal application - font height limits things (e.g. pane resizing precision). also looks fugly
>according to google, installing and configuring extensions I almost take for granted in vscode would take me ages in emacs
to me emacs is simply not worth the effort

>It's coded by professionals who actually get paid for their talent
So is Visual Studio, so is Sublime, so is Atom, yet they aren't as good.

It's just a pity that the Haskell Plugin is not as good as Atom's.

>Visual Studio
Suffers from 20+ years of technical debt. It was the undisputed champion among IDEs until very recently, and it's still the best for writing enterprise Windows software, vidya, and cross-platform mobile apps with Xamarin.

>Sublime
From a strictly technical perspective it's actually better than VS Code. It lost developer mindshare only because 99% of its users were merely putting up with the "your trial has expired" dialog box. Then VS Code launched as basically a slower but free version of Sublime and everyone switched en masse.

>Atom
Made by clueless devs who didn't get the memo that Moore's law has been dead for half a decade. They unironically thought CPUs would be fast enough to run that hog by the time they hit version 1.0.

My concerns with Atom is actually not so much speed compared to VSC, but usability, features (e.g VSC suggests to install missing plugins, when you open a file in a "new" language) and design.

>proprietary software
Literally is MIT-licensed: github.com/Microsoft/vscode
>Not multi-platform
Runs on Windows, Mac, Linux

>build tool
>primitive static analysis
>VCS integration
>basic project utility
>file browser
So it's Kate, except with visible keystroke lag and 10x the RAM consumption. I'll pass.

Does kate have as code code completion for many languages though?

how much does VSCode cost?

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about. Whenever I see this thread, all I can think of is the visible keystroke lag. It is so awful I don't think this thread would exist if microsoft hadn't paid anyone to make it.

Attached: RNe9Vz2.jpg (1024x576, 138K)

about 200 MB

Its a slow piece of shit i hate, but i yet find alternative. All things i tried either have half assed language support or are classical (as in slow as turtle) "ide"

>java
>not using STS

Faggot

Are you have stupid user?

Use kate

sublime for project development, vim for quick half second fixes.

Attached: blessed_image.png (1280x720, 1.89M)