What happened with SSG? Raja was hailing it as second coming of Jesus with muh 8k video...

What happened with SSG? Raja was hailing it as second coming of Jesus with muh 8k video, but after he "left" AMD never mentioned it again.

Attached: 76826-radeon-prossg-image2-1260x709.jpg (1260x709, 295K)

>join competitor
>continue praising your previous employer
that's not how it works, he shits in different street now.

They're still decent pro cards that are priced well. They have lower TDP and my buddy uses one to drive 3x 4k displays using mini-DP to DP

Should have mentioned he uses this one specifically. Was paired with an i7-5820k. It's now paired with a Threadripper 2950X for video editing. He got this card when it was on sale for $230.

Attached: Screenshot_20181113-113124_Newegg.jpg (1080x2220, 402K)

It's normal pro card, i'm talking about meme cards that Raja shat out for Bollywood with on-board m.2.

Yea I just saw the SSG part. Thought you were originally referring to the Radeon pro series as a whole. It seems those SSG cards are a really niche product. Most of the people or companies who actually need such a thing are probably not willing to take a chance on new tech.

Didn't RED pimp them up and say they went into their new Hollywood render farm? I suspect there's a few studios running on that who have no idea what the back end hardware is.

Could be. All of it is one big business related tax write off for them, so spending $2 million or more on an entirely overhauled render farm means nothing if they don't know what they're buying really.

I do sincerely wish AMD gets their shit together with the video cards in general, both professional and consumer. I have a GTX 980Ti that I'm loathe to let go and i don't want another Nvidia card because o refuse to pay the g-sync tax. But AMD's cards are so rough around the edges.

It's difficult to buy them as a normal consumer but they're available to businesses. I think as said RED snapped a lot of them up; they've filled their niche. AMD probably doesn't want to spend too many more VEGA10 dies fulfilling any demand, since it's such an expensive die. Hell, VEGA20 is probably cheaper by a large margin, even with 7nm's increased cost per transistor.

>But AMD's cards are so rough around the edges.
Not really. VEGA64/56 is actually really good value right now, with 1080/2070 being >$500 on average, and most VEGAs being

I should have clarified. I meant the software and driver's side of things. I owned an R9 Fury-X when they first launched and it was a fucking nightmare. No game day drivers ever ready, having to rely on beta drivers just to not get artifacting in 2D applications.

AMD always seems to be the first to do new hardware stuff (GDDR5, HBM, smaller nodes) but they fall through in software support in regards to their driver division. At least they did unless they've changed vastly since then.

Drivers around the time of the Fury's launch were pretty shaky, yes, but they have unironically fixed their shit. The only thing that's still busted is Windows OpenGL support (still slow as hell, but stable). Hell, I have a Fury Nano, and I never get ANY crashes unless I over/underclock it too far in Wattman (my Nano is a pretty shit performer, can't get past 1050MHz even with maximum voltage). I also have an RX 560 and haven't had a single graphical problem on Linux, and didn't even have to install a 3rd-party driver to use it (looking at you, Nvidia). I've tested on a wide variety of applications, 2D and 3D. They've dumped a TON of money into their driver division, and I honestly find their drivers a better experience than Nvidia's.

Hmm. I was thinking of getting an RX 580 while they're still ~$250 just to make use of the freesync in my 1080p panel I have currently. My 980Ti is still a solid performer.

I'll have to think about it. I'm on Ryzen as is so I'm not against AMD, just don't want to get burnt again

no they're really not that rough around the edges anymore, either that or Nvidia has gotten worse. Probably a mix between the two.

drivers has improved DRASTICALLY. I went from a 1060 to a vega 64 (grabbed that sapphire that was on sale for ~$400) and I honestly will say AMD has better drivers than nvidia now. much nicer, cleaner control panel, built in overclocking, and amd releases like two - three drivers a month. always fixing stuff and improving stuff. like amd released a driver for the fo76 beta before nvidia even did. actually I don't even think nvidia has released a driver yet for fo76 at all.

SS/g/
Street shitter technology

Huh. Well no shit. I've been out of the loop for a while because I bought the 980Ti and stopped looking around. There's a reference Sapphire Vega 64 on Amazon for $450 with a 10% off code as well. Worth it? Or should I shell out for a better cooled model?

A 980Ti is pretty solidly better than an RX 580. The 590 looks promising, but will probably end up being a sidegrade for your 980Ti. The 580 is slightly better than the 1060 in every metric, worse than the 1070. The 1070 is about equal (slightly better than, sometimes dramatically better than) to the 980Ti. Stick with your current card until AMD's next gen launches, or get a VEGA 56/64 (which would actually be a pretty solid upgrade).

The reference card is pretty good, and is most compatible with watercooling if you wanted to use that. If you repaste it (take the cooler off, put Kryonaut, MX4, or some other high-end paste on, even liquid metal) you can get about equal performance to the lower-end AIB coolers (ASUS, Gigabyte).

Unless you're willing to mod, I would shell out the extra cash for a AIB version. For the price I got mine I was able to easily slap on a Morpheus ii on it for $480 total. Cheaper in total than any AIB card. You can run a vega 64 with the reference cooler, as the cooler is actually a carbon copy of nvidia's vapor chamber FE cooler, but it really holds back the vega 64. Vega 64 really pushes it the cooler to its limit.

Though from what I've read the reference cooler is more than enough for a Vega 56 though.

Reference was:
>core: 85c
>hbm: 95c
>hotspot 97c
>45% fan speed
>1410mhZ average core clock
>920mhz average hbm clock

Reference mx-4 repaste:
>81c core
>89c hbm
>93c hotspot
>148mhz core
>945mhz hbm

Morpheus
>65c core
>64c hbm
>80c hotspot
>1510mhz core
>945mhz hbm

This. Custom loop w/ waterblock (requires at least 1 240mm radiator solely dedicated to the VEGA to match the Morpheus II) >= Morpheus II > AIO Liquid >= Sapphire Nitro+ LE >= Sapphire Nitro+ = PowerColor Red Dragon > Asus > Gigabyte >= Stock
All of these are for both VEGA models. The FE Liquid/Morpheus II/waterblock are the highest-performing VEGA possible by far, though, since it got the highest binned VEGA10 dies AND 16GB HBM2.

Did it require any special modding to get the Morpheus to fit? Any difference because of HBM modules? I actually own a Morpheus 1 with a special 5 pin to 2x 4 pin PWM splitter so the GPU board can power the fans. I used it on my Radeon 7970.

well I guess its technically a mod but I used the stock, reference retention bracket rather the one included with my morpheus ii as people recommend it. it apparently applies a little bit more force than the one included with the morpheus ii. all I had to do was use the morpheus screws with the stock bracket and remove the springs from the stock bracket. though the retention bracket that comes with the morpheus ii works out of the box and a lot of people just use it. vega uses the same mounting holes as the fury so its a perfect fit.

some people do extra modding by keeping the stock front plate by cutting some of front plate off to make clearance for the heatpipes and keep the stock backplate. though you don't need to do that.

I can't comment about the Morpheus i though as i own the morpheus ii so not sure what the difference is.