So my girl is wanting to get into music production and says she wants an apple laptop, so I say to myself ok...

so my girl is wanting to get into music production and says she wants an apple laptop, so I say to myself ok, I'll get one with minimum specs, look up what people are saying you need and I guess its mostly an i7 processor is the most important followed by ram, makes sense and holy fucking balls they are at least like $1200. I'm a windows fag and like to save money by buying the drives, processors ram etc., separately so I look into that. upgrading these fuckers is damn near impossible for a casual like me. soddering and chip replacement? what in the motherfuck is up with apple's expensive ass computers and why does my computer illiterate girl think its industry standard? I guess you save money on the software with garageband but fuck man. ITT apple hatred.

Attached: applecmptah.jpg (1024x614, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MKJjLwMUPJI
warosu.org/g/thread/S67971601#p67978678
warosu.org/g/thread/S67971601#p67978693
youtube.com/watch?v=yCX1Ze3OcKo
youtube.com/watch?v=yRh-dzrI4Z4
masterclass.com/classes/deadmau5-teaches-electronic-music-production
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

shameless selfbump

The only reason to ever use Mac for music production is Logic.

Just build her a desktop hackintosh

is that like garage band? Idk anything about this its all my girl asking for shit. I'm trying to convince her to go for a windows instead but I am kind of worried ill get fucked over in software fees

post nudes faggot

so like a regular custom rig but a bootlegged OS x maverick or whatever the fuck is the weekly os they have? thats honestly not a bad idea.. maybe I could have two partitioned SDD's one that boots windows and one that boots OS x so I can just dump all my money into a single mega computer

I have none of her atm and I promise you dont want mine.

Punch her in the clunge for even considering a mac, then get her an average laptop + ableton.

So basically, there's no reason to ever use Mac.

Attached: 1525097684468.jpg (644x1049, 215K)

> its mostly an i7 processor is the most important followed by ram
You don't need an i7 for music production anymore, and you haven't for a long, long time, unless you're doing like 40-something live tracks or 20 with heavy software effects.
RAM is more helpful, probably, but 8GB is enough if your GF can tolerate not using browser at the same time as music production.
Baseline Macbook Pro is adequate, and the new Mac Mini would work great, too, if GF doesn't mind the loss of portability.
Depending on what GF wants to do, even the cheapest current Mac laptop might work -- for example, if she just wants to use it as a multitrack recorder/gigging laptop with a handful of live tracks and couple live effects.

>ableton.
decent laptop with specs she needs plus a $230 would that even net me anything better than putting that money into the mac itself? I really dont want to spend that much money for software. though now that i think about it maybe thats part of the price of a mac

btfo

Ableton is a shitty choice for a lot of musicians. It's a very niche product, which works great for playing pre-written loops in a live, dynamic setting, which makes it amazing for a lot of electronica.
It's absolutely horrible if you want to play non-loo-based music, such as basically everything that's not electronica and even a lot of electronica.

I don't know much about this, but be sure of what are the requirements for a "good" performance in music production. Some friend of mine was complaining about latency while playing an instrument through his gayming pc. A problem he did not have with his mac. Maybe there are laptops that can be as good, but don't blindly choose one.

ill probably get a refurbished with an i5 then, i'm sure she can handle not browsing and nothing too big at least not now. if for some miracle she actually sticks with it, i guess we can upgrade later

You see all those nice ports that would be so useful for music production?
They're not there anymore. Professional musicians ran away from Apple a long time ago.

as a foreigner to the lands of music production, may I ask, where did they go user?

If you have lots of free time, build a Hackintosh like I did with OSx on a dedicated SSD. Fuck partitioning 1 SSD. Just keep OSX contained on its own disk for when you have bootloader problems and upgrade issues (which will happen), and it won't mess with the windows bootloader (which is very strict about where it lives on the disk).

Otherwise, look into buying a 2012-2014 used MacBook pro for around $250-500 and upgrade the RAM to 8-12GB and get an SSD for it. Buy Logic Pro or whatever for $200. Don't waste your money on DAW plugins (maybe just get Serum and melodyne). Torrent or buy Deadmau5's masterclass on EDM production. Use YouTube tutorials. Good luck.

PCs. The one platform that doesn't try to jew you by constantly throwing out and changing ports that you buy peripheries for, even when those ports worked great.
youtube.com/watch?v=MKJjLwMUPJI

A fuckton of people still use Macbooks. The trend lately is even using a fucking iPad strapped into a gig case with all of the other wired up, ready to plug in a guitar and microphone, with an out line ready to plug into the mixer.

you're getting mixed up with fl studio and its pattern system.
Ableton is only loop-oriented if you use the session view.
If you use the arrangement view (the regular timeline interface) it's the same as every other DAW.

thanks bro, I think im gonna do the hackintosh idea, but ill look into the used macbooks see if theres anything worth my time

was a macbook hatred thread but is now a music production thread in Jow Forums

Attached: 6YpbEEV.jpg (480x272, 21K)

I'm using an older version of Ableton so maybe new versions have improved on it, but arrangement view is ill-featured compared to other DAWs.
It's great for organizing the loops you created in the session view into a song (ie. an arrangement), but other DAWs have a huge leg up over Ableton when it comes to non-loop-based music.

The core of Ableton has always been the loop-based session view, and using Ableton to *perform* with those loops, and the Ableton guys realize this. They're best in class when it comes to this niche. They don't really try to compete with Pro Tools, Logic, etc. with a more "conventional" multi-track style DAW.

>my girl is wanting to get into music production and says she wants an apple laptop
enough red flags to make Mao dizzy. Dude, lets cut the BS here - hooker be cheaper, prob more intelligent and def lower maintenance. Think Different - Hire a Ho, Yo. Thank me later.

OP, here's a guide for what components are best for a music production computer:
warosu.org/g/thread/S67971601#p67978678
warosu.org/g/thread/S67971601#p67978693

Forget about Garage Band. It's the equivalent of MS Paint of the music production world.
Apple has a pretty good DAW called Logic, but I don't think it's the best.
If she's gonna make electronic music Ableton is the best.
If she's gonna produce recordings in a real studio with microphones and instruments, Pro Tools is the industry standard.

If you go with Ableton, consider pirating the complete version from audioz.download (it's the main audio piracy community in the world and very trustworthy).

That said, Macbooks are the de facto standard, and musicians are morons who will think less of her if she ever wants to collaborate with them using a non-Mac computer, so consider a refurbished MBP or something like that.
Or just get her a normal laptop following the guide above and have her switch to Mac when she gets to the point where she's collaborating.

I'll link you a guide on how to start learning production that I wrote a few minutes ago. Brb.

>my girl is wanting to get into music production and says she wants an apple laptop
laugh her off.

Most producers I know, me included, never use the session view at all.
Ableton has its advantages and disadvantages, but it's insanely flexible and allows you to have whatever workflow you want.

im trying to be supportive, if she makes a career out of it someday thats more money in my pocket, plus she frequently has sex with me so yeah haha im doing fine guys dont worry about me

sounds good bro ill check it out

This isn't true at all. As much as I fucking hate Apple, the music industry has basically been using macs since the 90's, so software is a lot more stable and mature for their platforms. The last thing you would ever want is some random crash due to the software not being as fine tuned on Windows and causing the song you've spent hours on to become corrupt or lost.

I used to work for a local studio as a sound engineer and that's all they use. I eventually broke down and just built a hackintosh because I kept getting memory leak issues with the DAW I was using as the time.

I wouldn't use a laptop to begin with if she's actually wanting to take it seriously. Convince her to go hackintosh and save a lot of money, OP.

Here:

it is industry standard though. Coming from a music producer, most daws, and all the big ones, are optimized for mac simply because thats what the industry chose to use back in the day.

You had a hackintosh that wasn't buggy as shit? Doesn't osx do weird glitchy stuff if not ran on mac hardware?

Music production in a real studio is a completely different world than making electronically-produced music in the box.
The former pretty much requires Macs. The latter is fine enough with Windows to be worth the savings many times over.
Windows today is much better than it used to be.

You still haven't told us what kind of music she wants to make.
Does she want to go to a school/college for it or she wants to learn on her own?

she wants to write and compose live music, mostly for other performers. she's not interested in electronica stuff at all. personally I think she could benefit from having the knowledge and familiarity but I dont really know personally

when I say live I mean late 2000's taylor swift stuff I guess. I think she wants to be a producer of musicians and be able to handle whatever weird thing some future potential client might want, but shes new so it doesnt have to be that great now. as far as school is concerned, shes straddled and balanced on the fence. its money and time and im already going to school for EE and we have two kids

>Music production in a real studio is a completely different world than making electronically-produced music in the box.
This. Nobody uses faggot fruit shit in the real world.
youtube.com/watch?v=yCX1Ze3OcKo
You don't write modern classics from Starbucks on a toddler toy fruitbook.
youtube.com/watch?v=yRh-dzrI4Z4

Attached: 1512623072850.jpg (1222x855, 154K)

There are specific components you can use that will give you a pretty much seamless experience. I forgot what the website is called, but there's an entire community that has tested what works well in a hackintosh and what problems you could run into with components.

Let me just laugh at how naive you are.
1- someone who needs to have someone buy them a macbook just to START making music is very far from having what it takes to be successful in this insanely competitive field.
2- even if she had everything in place, was talented, had unique music that stands out, etc. the chances of her being successful are incredibly slim, since she'd be competing with a ton of people even more talented and well connected than her.
At most she'll be able to find local employment if she gets a degree in it and goes for a more traditional career.
3-IF all the stars align and she manages to become successful, the main way to make any significant money is to start touring, which means that in the very best case scenario you'll find yourselves in different countries more than together, which will take a colossal toll on your relationship, and will 100% result in a sad breakup.
You'll be the cuck who financed her career and will spend a sad lonely existance while she enjoys the best that life has to offer in the best places of the world.

But this will never happen, so you'll just waste money buying her the modern equivalent of a strat because she wants to be a rockstar, and she'll waste her life following an unattainable dream that she's most likely not cut for.

t. guy who's wasted his life trying to become a producer.
Everyone I know (online and irl) wants to kill himself for taking this road.
Not worth it.

MACTODDLERS

B

T

F

O

Attached: 1537882323302.gif (245x180, 674K)

You mean something like Max Martin?
That's basically 50/50 traditional music recording and electronic music.
It's much harder to make a catchy high quality pop song than it is to make a high quality song of an electronic genre.
She's either gonna need some serious talent, or some serious training.
Music school is strongly advised.

Also, I hope you live somewhere with a strong music scene like LA, NY, Nashville (if you're into Country), etc.

Can she play instruments?
Does she have any experience with music?
How o!d is she?

>so my girl is wanting to get into music production and says she wants an apple laptop, so I say to myself ok, I'll get one with minimum specs
What a dick.

making music is easy, making good music is hard

t. /mu/tant

It is industry standard. As in even if it's a 2011 MBP you gotta have an apple mac book on the dj set of your a fool.

>this is what appletoddler subhumans actually believe
lmao

>his OS can't preview web links with a simple gesture

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 6.22.53 PM.png (1820x1150, 532K)

Pretty much, look up dj sets online, live remixes, etc

The thing is your audience is about getting smashed and blowing money to look rich and cool. The social status is more important that anything else.

Just get her a used dried up cum everywhere shitpad and install gentoo and loonix music software.

This is what your audience believes too.
Regardless of what you personally think about Macs, not having one will hurt your image which is very important for any music act.

>dj sets online
no one cares about your street shitter raves poojeet

> You don't write modern classics from Starbucks on a toddler toy fruitbook.
dude literally says in the video you linked all you need is a laptop with a single microphone in a garage or some shit -- he'd probably say in a starbucks would work too.

>Implying you would leave your house to see so live

Yo, been producing for ~17 years exclusively on pc's, heres my advice. Go with the macbook and logic pro. Why?
>macbook
Obviously the status of having an apple product among peers.
It uses core audio, a dream to render stuff on, always sounds much snappier and more on-beat than an asio render given enough power.
Pretty sure some DAWs use AU and VSTi now.
>logic pro
Shes going to be making music with live instruments in, maybe even recording live stuff, it has notation sheets to work with which is useful for that.
Although logic is a slog to work with compared to newer DAWs, its a brilliant starting point, as moving to anything else after will seem like a breeze for workflow.

If she was making DnB or other electronic stuff id just say macbook+ableton, stick by her user.

how will mactoddlers ever recover?

>It uses core audio, a dream to render stuff on, always sounds much snappier and more on-beat than an asio render given enough power.
Core Audio and ASIO have absolutely nothing to do with rendering.

we live 50 minutes from LA, school is not off the table, I'm studying to be an EE so literally any money she makes from it will be extra money so im not concerned about how feasible it is.personally im fine if she ends up being a housewife but i definitely want to give her a shot at her dream

>Shes going to be making music with live instruments in, maybe even recording live stuff, it has notation sheets to work with which is useful for that.
The best DAW for that is undoubtedly Pro Tools.
It's what every serious producer and engineer uses in real studios, and if she learned Logic she'd have to eventually abandon it for PT.

> It uses core audio, a dream to render stuff on
core audio is the secret ingredient here. You can get decent sound on PCs, but you can fuck shit up if you're computer illiterate. This is something Apple invested in getting working well back when their motto was "it just works".
A Mac will give you a great sound set up with 0 effort.
A PC can get a good sound set up too with ASIO but it can be intimidating if you don't know what a device driver is. Most of my musician friend with PCs are crippling themselves because they've never invested in ASIO4All or shit like that because they have no clue to even start looking at that shit.
It's not even a question of power -- but getting that latency down from 1.5 seconds that you'll never get timed/on-beat to If she was making DnB or other electronic stuff id just say macbook+ableton, stick by her user.
DnB is still best done with a tracker like renoise. Heck, I'd even probably say fruityloops is better for DnB than Ableton. Ableton is great for most styles of EDM though.

Yeah right, that's when you render and notice it doesn't sound as good as when it was playing live.
It's got to do with latency and dynamic range

she just wants macbook
hackintosh won't do
she won't make any music btw

guitar, piano, vocals
got associates in music from local community college

hello, xfs rajeesh

>>wanting to get into it
im not going to buy top shelf for something shes thinking about doing

>LA
This is a gigantic advantage.
Literally the best place to be for this kind of work.
Tell her to focus on networking as muc as she does on her skills. Perhaps even more.
School will help a lot with both the skills and networking, as well as giving you a piece of paper that will facilitate getting her foot in a lot of doors.
Tell her to look for those feminist groups that want to make music production a 50/50 male/female ratio. Those will help her a lot (they'll also make her a man-hating feminist, but she'll leave you anyway so it's not a problem).

Lots of studios have both Logic and Pro Tools so musicians/others involved can work with whatever they're comfortable with.
Although their staff and services provided might only be available Pro Tools.
When you've spent $100k+ on studio equipment a $3k Mac and $500 on software to make your clients happy isn't a big deal.
IME, musicians prefer Logic, Studios/Arrangers/Engineers/Producers prefer Pro Tools. Which one gets chosen tends to come down to whether Producers initiate the process or the Musician.

>she wants something
>she wants you to pay for it

Attached: 1523787155205.png (216x233, 31K)

this is the answer.

???
ASIO4ALL is literally just an installer that you run like any program, and you don't have to touch anymore.
It even comes with some DAWs.

Lmao

I don't think you understand how computer illiterate the average person is.
When they get 1.5 seconds of latency, they don't think, "hmm, do I have shitty drivers? let me google audio drivers." They think, "my computer's too slow I need to buy an expensive one."

Musicians use whichever daw they like.
If she wants a career working in studios and collaborating with engineers, producers, and whatnot, PT is what will give her less problems.

this

$3k Mac

Sound cards

/thread
This might seem a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but it's things like these that determine the future roles in the relationship. You can be the man of the relationship, or you can be the ATM cuckboy that gets dumped when a more attractive male arrives.

MACTODDLERS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Attached: 1538365484979.gif (416x506, 21K)

Mhh... Maybe you're right.
Apple's "just works" philosophy might be better for retards because it makes things easier, but it doesn't mean that if something is slightly more difficult to use it's of lower quality. Especially if you are able to use it.

im trying not to devulge any information but we are married and share a bank account also she works, im the tech savy one and shes the plays a guitar one so im trying to figure out what she would need to get into production, ffs guys i only made this thread cause im pissed at apple for monopolizing haha

This changes everything.
From the OP it seems like she knows nothing about music and just decided "i think producing music is cool".
But it turns out she's a musician that wants to go into production.
Definitely get her a mac with Pro Tools.
No doubt every other choice will be problematic compared to this.

Mac is just superior for music production in many ways, but not so much that is really makes a difference unless you're serious about production. If she is just doing this as a hobby, you'd be fine going with a pc (although windows is absolute shit for retarded poorfags or children with no money), and if she's doing it for work then she'll make back the money the mac costs so no big deal.

I've been producing for 13 years and I've used both and I would recommend mac wholeheartedly, but she's not going to notice the difference.

What DAW is she going to be using? She doesn't even know does she...

Just buy her a high end Logitech webcam and let her upload videos to Youtube. She'll get far more success from that than she ever will from some fruit toy and a ton of pro software she'll never learn or figure out.

Attached: 1513524291190.jpg (1024x576, 57K)

/thread

Based Zimmer. Maccucks utterly BTFO.

>upgrading these fuckers is damn near impossible for a casual like me. soddering and chip replacement? what in the motherfuck is up with apple's expensive ass computers and why does my computer illiterate girl think its industry standard? I guess you save money on the software with garageband but fuck man. ITT apple hatred.
>macshit
Found your problem.

How can macintrash even compete?
masterclass.com/classes/deadmau5-teaches-electronic-music-production

OP if you listen to these Mac faggots you're an idiot. Windows has been fine for music production since Windows because they reworked low latency audio. First of all of you buy a Windows machine you'll pay less for more and second of all you can pirate almost anything. Many VST plug-ins aren't cracked for macs. Logic isn't what it used to be. The most powerful DAW is still Cubase but it's expensive. If you don't want to spend money I recommend Studio One.

*Since Windows 8

>Studio One
nigger, you serious..

Elaborate. What is wrong with Studio One?

Nothing wrong with it.
It's just not as good as the competition.

Nice arguments you faggot. Now tell us why it's supposedly not as good as the competition?

1. It's not a good starter DAW with its extended layout
2. It's not an industry standard DAW, so you won't have as much support as with the others
3. Price and Pricing model is the same nowadays as the other DAW's

I've used Studio One in the early days, it was okay but it wouldn't certainly take it as a main DAW

No.

>1. It's not a good starter DAW with its extended layout
Are you retarded? It had the same workflow as Cubase, Logic and ProTools, only easier.
>2. It's not an industry standard DAW, so you won't have as much support as with the others
Spoken like a true clueless Boomer. I want you to exactly point out how using Studio One will hinder you working in a studio. You obviously don't know how mixing engineers work. You'll send them stems anyway, no mixing engineer works with project files. You can connect SO to any mixing desk.
>3. Price and Pricing model is the same nowadays as the other DAW's
Just pirate it lmfao.
>I've used Studio One in the early days, it was okay but it wouldn't certainly take it as a main DAW
Early days lmfao. Studio One has changed a lot and actually become a monster DAWs with features no other DAW has. ARA/Melodyne is a killer feature. Only VariAudio comes close to it. The way you can combine VSTis is unbeaten in studio one.

>t. guy who's wasted his life trying to become a producer.
>Everyone I know (online and irl) wants to kill himself for taking this road.
>Not worth it.

Damn man...

I dabble in music production as a "hobby" and I'm kinda thankful I choose a degree which allows me to have a reasonable amount of money. I've started my degree 10 years ago and even then I was quite aware of the dead-end that pursuing music production as a professional career would be (unfortunately). I'm kinda wondering if you were aware how tough the world was when you choose to go down on that path.

But not all is bad, I think you should pivot towards some sort of IT related dayjob. Music and music production requires a sort of systematic thinking which also comes quite in handy in IT in general.

Also OP, Mac still is the preferred hardware for audio production, but don't chill yourself in grabbing a higher end model for her.

Get her an older macbook or mac mini with most importantly: a decent cpu, 8G of ram and as much usb outputs as you can. The newer macbook models are pieces of shit in that regard. Also --> Screen Resolution

I'm happy for your choice man.
Music production as a hobby is probably one of the best indoors hobbies you can have, since it's both technical and artistic/creative, and the feeling of completing a song/album that you're proud of is unlike anything else.
It's just not easy to monetize, so unless making music is the one and only thing you care about in the world, making music is most likely going to hurt the other aspects of your life.

PS. in the post you're quoting was being semi-ironic in being exageratedly harsh, so don't take it so seriously.

1/2

>I'm kinda wondering if you were aware how tough the world was when you choose to go down on that path.
I was well aware of it, but my choices were very limited.
Due to my life situation I had to choose something that I would've been able to learn entirely at home for free, and that didn't require a degree (health issues that keep me at home are also why I dropped out of hs).
My choices were:
>graphic design
already dabbled in it and it's probably the most saturated market ever
>various online hustles
hard to start if you have zero money and no way to get it
>programming
viable, but I never put any effort at school, so I wasn't good with math and I thought it would be too hard for me
>music production
always wanted to start doing it seriously and I love electronic music
If I'm fucked either way, might as well choose something enjoyable.
Or so I thought.
Now I regret not choosing programming.

Although I seriously believe I have a huge potential for success, since I'm able to invent new production and sound design techniques that allow me to make super unique music that nobody would even be able to reverse-engineer.
The problem is I've been severely depressed for the past few years and I've barely worked on anything for 3 years, so I'd have been in the same situation regardless of what I'd have chosen.

>But not all is bad, I think you should pivot towards some sort of IT related dayjob. Music and music production requires a sort of systematic thinking which also comes quite in handy in IT in general.
I'm actually considering learning programming right now and make software for my techniques, but I don't know if I should invest the time instead of trying to make my music work.
Though the time I'd spend programming would've been wasted on the Internet anyway (if I even manage to make myself learn programming lol).