I'm currently a senior in high school and I got accepted into a [spoiler]state[/spoiler] school that's pretty...

I'm currently a senior in high school and I got accepted into a [spoiler]state[/spoiler] school that's pretty affordable and has a good compsci program. The only problem I have is that it's known, at least in my area, as a notorious party school so i'm getting hounded that I shouldn't go since plenty of people go to party, drink, and either graduate with a useless degree or drop out.

I'm conflicted.

Attached: fshjfhsa.jpg (600x800, 75K)

I'm now a junior and it feels like literally yesterday I was senior in high school

Please whatever you do or wherever you decide to go just remember the following
GO TO CLASS
make a point to never miss one lecture

for me i went in being too cocky. I still haven't learned the humility I need. I barely tread water here and I want to scream or throw myself off a building

>state school
it will be okay but just know every ivy kid will waltz thru life with thei rpaid for 4.0 and shit on u for life

just dont hang with those dumb fucks.

its a university, its bound to have a large group of people who are there for academic purposes. You'll be fine.

avoid the party goers at all costs, not worth your time. Go to all your classes, only reason you shouldn't show up is if you're dead. Hardly worth it to retake a class, which can be embarrassing to say the least.

If you don't have it out of your system you'll probably get sucked into it and fuck up desu

nobody cares about where you got your degree from by the time you apply for that second job. yes a degree from an ivy-school opens doors bot once you got your foot in you gucci

Zoomass?

not true an ivy is worth any amount of money, even millionaires are butthurt they can't go

I bet youre a san jose state nigger.

you'll either 1) be a nerd and not drink or party, ever or 2) someone party as a CS major and get major pussy with your immense intellect. Guess which one is more likely.

Chico?

going off.

Lurk for at least 2 years before posting.

you're not going to an ivy unless you can make ivy connections

>The only problem I have is that it's known, at least in my area, as a notorious party school so i'm getting hounded that I shouldn't go since plenty of people go to party, drink, and either graduate with a useless degree or drop out.
Then don't party or drink you dumb fucking retard. Do you lack agency?

If you're coming straight out of high school here is my advice: Get a shitty job and work it full time for a year, then go to uni afterwards.
Unless you're highly motivated already, you're going to go to uni and drag your feet and fuck around and waste your time because you don't appreciate how much life sucks and how good you have it. Don't go to uni because someone else said you should. Boomers are fucking retarded and think that a degree is some sort of miracle key that gets you a 300k salary job anywhere you want. It's not.

why are you afraid of parties you fucking faggot

Why does it matter whether the majority of the students party or not when the only thing you're going to do anyways is show up for class and then spend the rest of your time not doing shit on campus.

Even if you're forced to live on campus there's nothing forcing you to socialize.

Hey, the more retards you have in your classes the better it is for you if the professor grades on a curve. Also you're the only one with agency on choices that concern you directly, you can go to a party and still not be take on the party lifestyle.

I know where pic related is

This is true, if you're not motivated in your field.

TL;DR just drink with smart, productive people

>plenty of people go to party, drink
What's wrong with partying and drinking now?
Sure partying and drinking *too much* is an issue, it can honestly be very helpful.
You won't get through uni without a good network, and you won't do well after uni without a great network. Find out where the people you want to associate with hang out.

For me, I found a group that does a lot of infosec stuff and CTF practice - these guys also smoke a lot of weed. Several job offers have come through here.
And there's another group that does a lot of drinking together, which has been fantastic for sharing solutions to hard problems last minute.
Also just bonding for QoL.

This guy is right. Don't hang out with idiots.

This is extra true. I'm wondering if this aversion to drinking might be a result of strict US laws on alcohol?

>the party lifestyle
How is this such a binary thing? Just party and have fun with smart people you like for fuck sake.

smart productive people dont drink

>and has a good compsci program

No such thing.

Lots of bull shit advice here.

1) You don't habe to go to classes, just make sure you don't fall behind with your stuff.

2) Programming is not as easy than it looks. Just make sure you practice as much as you can. If you do an assignment, try to play with the code to get the details.

3) Going to parties if fine. Younobly zave one youth an literally decades to slave to the money. If you "party hard" with 38, you've done something wrong.
Just avoid fall behind. Grades aren't worth shit, unless you want to work for Google: practice beats grades 10/10 times.

4) Get into internships early. 2nd or 3rd year. You can have only A grades but won'get a job without relevant experience.

5) Work on your stack - cobstantly. Learn at least one language every year, get comfortable with Linux and bash and 3 top ten languages (just google).

6) You can't call yourself programmer if you don't know web development. But don't stay there forever, its good for easy money but the bottom of what peogramming can be.

7) Don't feel guilty if you don't enjoy programming in the first or second year. It takes some time to get the basics, to find out what YOU like:
Apps? Databases? Networking? Embedded systems? Kernel programming? Numerical algorithms? Scripting and deployment? Servers? There is so much to learn!

> tl, dr: work hard, play hard, change lifes

This.