Pirates had to pay millions for spreading the NES ROM around

pelaajalehti.com/uutiset/pariskunta-maarattiin-maksamaan-miljoonakorvaukset-nintendolle-rom-sivustojen

There was two internet web sites which spreaded around NES ROMs freely to anyone who downloaded them. Nintendo saw it as illegal act and sued the couple who ran the sites to the court.

The men had to pay 12 million euros to Nintendo or face lengthy prison sentences.

This will now be a valid scare tactic for others who ran ROM sites and we may see them disappear.
But this wont stop spreading the ROMs anonymously as torrentes.

Attached: nes-console-set_0.png (742x442, 186K)

Other urls found in this thread:

torrentfreak.com/nintendo-wins-12-million-from-pirate-rom-site-operators-181112/
eurogamer.net/amp/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good thing this is America, designated street shitter

Good, if you spread piracy on public access places you deserve to get fucked.

This is why we have a private tracker general on Jow Forums

Fellow Pekka, could you at least post english version next time?

t. anomuumi

torrentfreak.com/nintendo-wins-12-million-from-pirate-rom-site-operators-181112/

Nintendo ‘Wins’ $12 Million From Pirate ROM Site Operators

Yes gaijin buy that pokemon red ro-... port for 5.99 burgerbux.

>it's unfair, all works should be in the public domain after 10 years

Attached: full.png (406x438, 8K)

well you cant buy Nintendo 8 bit console or its games anymore as new

exvept the "Nintendo Mini" which doesnt even have the games you want

ok I get it that Nintendo wants to close ROMs of those games found in Nintendo Mini but what about all the rest of the games?

besides not all NES games were made by Nintendo, they were made by other companies for Nintendo system

>yes goyim, Nintendo should file copyright claims on behalf of other companies with no relation to Nintendo, and even defunct companies, and get all the compensation
>extending copyright hundreds of years it's totally good for innovation and fair to the original author even though he's long gone
The only worse thing than an NPC it's a legit kike

>proprietary software
What do they say about sticking your dick in fire

You know the really ironic part is Ninendo have been caught using ROMs downloaded from sites like this in the past. And i'm pretty sure the Mini consoles have used them too.

And Nintendo really need to put 16bit games on their online service thing.

It's retarded how if these sites didn't exist, Nintendo wouldn't be able to sell the roms themselves in classic consoles, virtual console and with the nintendo online subscription, since they use the same rom files people could download. There's also an argument for preservation of games. Anyways, I got a copy of each and every single one, downloaded them beforehand. Since I knew this shit would happen, it convinced me to finally get all of them at once, so in a way, Nintendo lost, at least to me.

These games came out only a few years after that printer sent RMS off the deep end, he hadn't really been able to spread his ideologies yet

Poo in the EU. It gets more cucked every day.

That's right. In America it would be the capital punishment.

friendly reminder to never ever buy anything nintendo again

Attached: niggers.png (375x190, 7K)

Retard. Anyone with a brain thinks that copyright law has gotten way out of hand.
Gotta defend Disney and those poor multi-million dollar corporations though, right?

>Pirates had to pay millions for spreading the NES ROM around
no, an ad+malware serving platform had to pay millions for attracting users and income to their website using a brand's properties

And why should this not be allowed??

there doesn't need to be a reason, it's the law
when you do something illegal, you may be punished for it
when you do something illegal, and profit from it, you morally deserve to be punished for it

they didn't get what was coming to them, they deserve the firing squad instead of a fine

Bootlickers need a firing squad.

>when you do something illegal, and profit from it, you morally deserve to be punished for it
Are you seriously claiming that laws are inherently moral?

they have one, and they shoot lawbreakers with it

willfully and deliberately profiting from disobeying laws inherently immoral

>willfully and deliberately profiting from disobeying laws inherently immoral
Immoral by what kind of standard?
People have moral obligations to each other, not to a book of rules.

>People have moral obligations to each other
then the spreader of malware, the seller of data, the charlatan, the thief, the profiteer, is looking after whom?

himself? his other?
and?
that is moral, when it stops there?

they were no provider to community, they were a profiteer

I didn't claim that all illegal behaviours were moral, only that laws aren't intrinsically moral.

then i show my statement again, with clear emphasis
>when you do something illegal, you may be punished for it

>when you do something illegal, and profit from it, you morally deserve to be punished for it
>and profit from it

Why does whether you profit matter?

cheaters will burn
everyone else is following the rules, someone breaking the rules to gain a financial advantage over other shall meet the rope

you are an idiot, why don't you read a book called Basic Economics

eurogamer.net/amp/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

Fuck nintendo and their faggot supporters.
Nintendo has been profiting from this shit and rom sites kept the games alive and also the gathering of those people in forums and chsts helped to find unreleased games and also lost roms.
Inb4 reee phone poster
I am getting a haircut faggots, shitposting never stops.

>LoveROMs.com and LoveRETRO.co
literally who?

t. entitled manbaby

I have most of the ROMs and ISOs I could need over a hard drive that surely will end up dying in like 3 days just fuck with me.

Anyways, this won't stop distribution. Not now, not in the following years. Europeans can't do dick to change that even by law.

Show haircut or suck a dick, your choice.

A couple of ROM sites in a sea of ROM sites. Nintendo can't shut them all down, and more will pop up in their place.

>laws working as intended before lobbyist manipulation is entitlement
t. Neoliberal corporate bootlicker

>"gayming" fads start to wean
>re-invent the wheel again
>still no more money
>sue a few good men for 12 million$ to get money

HOLY SHIT. WHAT DID THEY HAVE TO PAY FOR BATTLETOADS ?

[spoiler] you have to be at least 30 years old to get this one [/spoiler]

Attached: MV5BYTFmM2FiMTEtYTlmZS00OWU0LWI0N2QtYTkzMzE4MDk2YzkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,73 (730x1000, 202K)

What would be the best way to make ROMs and such available to the public without it being taken down in like 3 minutes

If people are looking for something I have, it'd be nice if I could make it accessible. I don't think it's anything to worry about right now but hey, maybe in the future.

Change all the art to your own, you can't copyright game only the art

I wouldn't mind, I draw like a 5 year old but some people would probably have a fetish for that.

>inb4 cant find anything beyond 4th gen because cd/dvd sized

I saw some underage redditor posts but holy shit son you took it to an entire new level.

it was ironic you unironic fuck

>unironically ironically saying "ironic"
kys boomer

>le funneh boomur may may xddddd

thanks for saving me the time to reply to this asshole

there is literally nothing more npc than shilling against piracy

How are ROMs proprietary software when the emulators are libre and distros like trisquel have emulators available and they don’t even have firefox available because it’s not libre enough for them.

i fucking love romnation. it even works without javascript. hope this doesn't happen to them. i think they never allowed downloading ROMs of Nintendo's own games anyway.

Emulators are piracy too.

Piracy (context: software) means the redistribution of copyrighted software. Emulators don't fit that. But I know you're baiting so fuck it.

>Emulators don't fit that
Atlus Filed Copyright Strike Against PS3 Emulator

Goy, you should buy that game again 20 years after its release and give money to the company that bought the company that bought the original company and in which none of the original people who worked on the game are left

Any reason why NES ROMs aren't old enough to become public domain?

can we just fucking range ban the subcontinent already

because firefox has nonfree code and emulators don't? what does any of that have to do with ROMs? i hope you are reddit

>piracy
>Emulators are piracy too.
There was no piracy committed here. It's a case of copyright infringement.
What you're referring to as piracy, is in fact, unauthorized copying, or as I've recently taken to calling it, unauthorized sharing. Piracy is not the act of obtaining an unauthorized copy of a copyrighted work, but rather robbery or criminal violence at sea.

Many computer users make unauthorized copies every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the act which is widely performed today is often called piracy, and many of the people who do it are not aware that it is basically copying, and not stealing.

There really is a piracy, and some people are doing it, but it is just robbery at sea. Piracy is an act of theft: an action at sea in which goods are forcefully transferred from one ship to another. Piracy is important to be aware of, but unrelated to unauthorized copying; it can only function at sea. Piracy is normally not used in combination with unauthorized copying: the two acts are basically separate. All the so-called piracy is really unauthorized copying.

Because they were advertising the fuck out of their emulator being "the way to play persona 5" and posting links to ISO dumps.

Just like a lockpick manufacturer is perfectly legal until they start marketing their products as the best way to open bike locks and save money by stealing said bike.

Same reason why old Diney movies aren't public domain, they'll just keep renewing copyright

>Any reason why NES ROMs aren't old enough to become public domain?
Copyright lasts 70+ years in most countries.
>they'll just keep renewing copyright
You can't renew copyright. What Disney's doing is bribing and lobbying politicians to extend the duration of copyright for everyone.
It's up to 95 years now. Totally crooked.

Kill yourself law follower. Steal everything you fucking bootlicking nigger, there is no moral obligation to pay for anything, stop being brainwashed.

Bring multi million dollar doesn't make them wrong

Guess I'm gonna go hunt for torrents that have all GBA, GBC and genesis games in case things get retarded. I've had nes and snes for awhile now. The pack with every NES rom is less than 1gig, go grab it and keep distribution alive.

>Copyright lasts 70+ years in most countries.
Copyright should expire once the console life is over.

It's funny how shit like what happened in OP's message causes more people to host them even more, with the added feeling of scarcity it even causes more and more people to get them.

desu huge corporations have twisted copyright law into something that's SO extremely restrictive the people who first made copyright law are turning in their graves

Lobbying hundreds of thousands of dollars on a single candidate per year should be illegal, period.

nah, only when stock dries up. If you can buy it legally at equal or below launch prices, I think it's fine for it to have a copyright still. It's stuff like NES carts that haven't been widely available for decades that is ridiculous.

But I can't play PSX games on PS4.

Copyright should expire in 10 years or less.

Right now, why is society even issuing copyright and protecting it if we can't get the copyrighted materials into society freely within anyone's lifetime?

I guess they're killing art that way.

>t. a NEET

They already did.

Imagine when all the shitheads like toriyama fucking bites it, no more people to use on promotional material, just a name in a franchise with no direction or future.

20 years would be fine. The entire 8 and 16 bit generation and all the good 90s cartoons would be public domain. Imagine.

>but what about all the rest of the games?
They would rather those games be erased from history than have someone play it without having bought it decades ago.

>morality without God

No. One of the problems atheists have is the unbelievers' assertion that it is possible to determine what is right and what is wrong without God. They have a fundamental inability to concede that to be effectively absolute a moral code needs to be beyond human power to alter.

On this misunderstanding is a supposed conundrum about whether there is any good deed that could be done only by a religious person, and not done by a Godless one. Like all such questions, this contains another question: what is good, and who is to decide what is good?

Left to himself, Man can in a matter of minutes justify the incineration of populated cities; the deportation, slaughter, disease and starvation of inconvenient people and the mass murder of the unborn.

I have heard people who believe themselves to be good, defend all these things, and convince themselves as well as others. Quite often the same people will condemn similar actions by different countries, often with great vigour.

For a moral code to be effective, it must be attributed to, and vested in, a non-human source. It must be beyond the power of humanity to change it to suit itself.

Its most powerful expression is summed up in the words 'Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends'.

The huge differences which can be observed between Christian societies and all others, even in the twilit afterglow of Christianity, originate in this specific injunction.

so dont distribute ROMs over your website? Upload a torrent.

So why don't these sites run on IPFS instead of public DDL again?

Sounds like banks, corporations, govt's and the 1%. They don't get punished tho.

>steal shit
>make money off of distribution of stolen shit
>owner of stolen shit sues you and tells you to pay up
>this is unjust somehow
really makes me think

And at the end of 95 years they'll do it again, basically renewing copyright

Don't some of these Nintendo emulators require a copy of a console BIOS to make some games work properly? Most people just pirate that stuff and that's highly illegal.

>Left to himself, Man can in a matter of minutes justify
Justification through religion for atrocities are perfectly common.
>The huge differences which can be observed between Christian societies and all others
Is the hypocracy of the scripture and the actions.
At least mudslimes don't pretend to be peaceful and loving.
All morality barely reaches further than the closest circle and it never reaches universally

>justification for religious atrocities

Another favourite argument of the irreligious is that conflicts fought in the name of religion are necessarily conflicts about religion. By saying this they hope to establish that religion is of itself a cause of conflict.
This is a crude factual misunderstanding. The only general lesson that can be drawn is that Man is inclined to make war on Man when he thinks it will gain him power, wealth or land

Copyright law shouldn’t exist in the first place

yes they need BIOS and BIOS copying is illegal but there is no point in games themselves being illegal

Not playing only free and open source games

Shame on you goyim trying to deny the yellow jew his shekels.

Attached: 1396727686933.jpg (656x850, 300K)

t. I only do what a space wizard supposedly told me to do

People have morals because it's a feeling required for survival. Things are considered good or bad depending on the results, immediate or long term. If morality solely depended on christian beliefs we'd still have people beheaded because they "spoke god's name in vain," however people understand that the right of freedom of speech is more important since it results in better survivability towards the group, more topics can be discussed, and there's no harm with it.

What you’re describing isn’t morality, it’s a kind of quasi-moral zeitgeist that will shift and change as time goes on. Morality is only morality if it is based on something that is beyond mans power to change.

>People have morals because it's a feeling required for survival.
Most higher order morals have nothing to do with survival. Like giving to others when you'll never get anything back from it. It is pretty arrogant for one religion to claim to be the source of morality though

>space wizard

The Christian God isn’t a wizard nor does he live in space.

Who are you describing user?

Nice job with coming up with shit that doesn't exist. Morality to an extent differs from group to group, that's normal, not everything works out the same way socially between certain circles. However it all boils down to the same thing which is survivability. There's actual scientific evidence of this. What you're trying to make up is some make believe that there's something that can determine how you feel about certain things? Are you actually proposing you're an NPC?

I live in Spain, they don't give a fuck about vídeo games piracy here.

Groups where people tend to be more kind to each other tend to have a higher survivability rate.
He is, he can split oceans, create a huge flood with water that came out of nowhere and create planets and shit, also according to them the world is flat. That boils down to being wizardry because the laws of physics doesn't apply to him.

>atheist doesn’t believe in morality

Well I never.

>However it all boils down to the same thing which is survivability
survivability boils down to survival of the fittest which is generally considered immoral

The um, ones without morals have spread prodigiously and shaped the entirety of your history.

Just saying.

Attached: alexander.jpg (1200x720, 442K)

That’s not a wizard user.