Quantopian

Has anyone here used Python and Quantopian to create an algorithmic trading setup? Posting to Jow Forums as well.

Attached: quantopian.jpg (638x479, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nice quads

I am into algo trading, yes. I never tried to do anything in quantopian, but I watched some of their tutorials/videos/conference stuff. I mostly read the proper literature about algo and quant topics.

Why do you ask? What's on your mind?

Attached: literature.jpg (884x1056, 1.04M)

just buy link and hold faggot, also nice repeating digits

Attached: 1270700968643.jpg (1024x1224, 576K)

I'm thinking about trying to build a ML/algo trading system in Python and/or R that paper trades and dumps into Excel. Use VBA to analyze and such. Just a little pet project while I'm completing my undergrad degree in Finance.

Care to share that set of e-books?

Just shut your mouth, nigger. I want to have a conversation with the algo user. No brainlets allowed ITT.

wow I just keep getting dubs.

so did you. Anyways Im very interested in working for an asset management/sales&trading firm one day, and I'm teaching myself Python and R to help that process along. Might put a little bit of money into it if I can get it humming.

quantopian is a massive failure and this has been known within the quant dev industry for a while now. people aren't willing to share their successes and knowledge because they could be making it rich on their own instead.

algo traders at qfts/prop shops aren't going to waste their time on quantopian, and they certainly wouldn't share internal strategies outside their company.

so what we have is a situation where beginners come in and make the same mistakes that older guys already made 5-10 years ago, and they're making the same mistakes because no one is coming in to tell them "hey, this works and this doesn't work."

the majority of the algorithms on there are pretty much the same and essentially failures. the only time i would dick around on the quantopian is if i wanted to try something extremely out there just for the shits.

>real-time application
>python

>the only time i would dick around on the quantopian is if i wanted to try something extremely out there just for the shits.
This is basically the whole point of my interest, Im not looking to actually make money. I have to start somewhere in the algo world though. It's just too interesting. Reading about RenTec's Medallion Fund started me down this path.

Worth noting I do some value investing and some derivatives trading, largely based on nonsense (gambling) and event based stuff

>I'm thinking about trying to build a ML/algo trading system in Python and/or R that paper trades and dumps into Excel.

Python is the weapon of choice then. Depending on what time frame/market/data set you will operate you should consider investing in proprietary historical market data. Please do not and I repeat DO NOT depend on free FX market data from a shitty retail broker. This is strictly a no go. I know this first hand.

Concerning sharing the the books: I'm seriously limited speaking bandwidth. You will find all of these books here: gen.lib.rus.ec/. You now know the titles/authors - it should be easy.

With historical data you will be able to backtest properly following some of the advice in the literature I pointed out (i.e. not falling for biases, traps etc when backtesting). You should then be able to forward test on a Interactive Brokers or Tradestation account.

Also have a look at Tradestation's own Fisherprice version of a programming language for their proprietary platform. It looks shitty, but it is a real option for what you're trying to do.

I have a TD Ameritrade account and use their ThinkorSwim platform, hopefully that'll work. Thank you for the advice and resources. Do you have a suggested starting point/top 5-10 books in that list relative to what I'm trying to do?

Sorry mate, but the fact of the matter is that if you're the type of person saying "i want to do algo trading for citadel/2sig/millennium/schoenfield/renaissance then you're unlikely to be the candidate that they're looking for.

As I said in my other post you need to find a good mentor if you want to break into quant trading and you're not going to find one posting on the internet. people are not going to mentor people who might take the knowledge and bail after a few years. they also want people who show extreme promise which essentially means math/stats/physics PhDs from MIT/Stanford/Harvard/Princeton.

This is not an industry every joe schmoe with "a passion for machine learning" has a chance in. i can't even remember the number of times kids reach out to me asking "how do i become an algo trader? what kind of gpa do I need? should i learn python?" If those are the types of question you're asking then you're not going to make it. The last student I mentored was top 6 in the Putnam in his sophomore year and now he's doing high energy physics at Stanford.

Yeah Im not looking into algo trading as a career, that's way above my paygrade. this is resume padding and a fun challenge because I am bored with classes. I wouldnt even fit into their culture, Im a BSBA conc. in Finance for a reason.

Im trying to do something quantitative to offset my involvement in my universities trading club, which is almost entirely qualitative.

Just some additional remarks, I guess:

I always thought exactly this. Who would want to share a working setup? And else: Who would deliberately show his way and work of making a maybe promising start for such a setup a essentially money earning algo? Never understood the business model of Quantopian, because it cannot seriously be what they claim it to be.

TD Ameritrade is fine, but I do not know about their market data and paper trading friendliness so to speak. You will have to try. Literature: Start with the old, but very solid: Barry Johnson - Algorithmic Trading & DMA and you can easily read Kevin Davey's "Building Winning..." on the side of that.

Forgot a thing: What this user here said, I don't know... I myself started having a PHD in a soft subject and I got into investment banking's DCM. Not too much of a quant position, but still... If the op seriously wants a job in HFT/HF/Prop he should aim for it. It's possible to achieve that.

DCM is not at all the same as algo trading and investment banks don't hold a candle to the competitiveness of the companies that were listed

getting any job at a HFT/prop shop is possible, but the algo trading jobs truly are unreachable for the vast majority of people

>I always thought exactly this. Who would want to share a working setup? And else: Who would deliberately show his way and work of making a maybe promising start for such a setup a essentially money earning algo? Never understood the business model of Quantopian, because it cannot seriously be what they claim it to be.

This resonates with me, reading about it made little sense relative to the allure of the Medallion fund at RenTec. I was like, "Why the fuck would these cheesedicks post this shit for free if Simons and Mercer are up 2500% since inception?"

Seems ridiculous. Theyre called black boxes for a reason.

>TD Ameritrade is fine, but I do not know about their market data and paper trading friendliness so to speak.

I have a full account, so I have access to live (not delayed at all) data and delayed data through my paper trading account. I imagine that the slight delay on my Paper account will pose some problems

> Literature: Start with the old, but very solid: Barry Johnson - Algorithmic Trading & DMA and you can easily read Kevin Davey's "Building Winning..." on the side of that.

Thank you!

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 3.14.12 AM.png (1962x1258, 644K)

Why are you so aggressive? Ok, I was not trying to devalue what you said, but instead making a point for the possibility of achieving unlikely things. I was not saying anything about DCM being close to prop trading or quant heavy for that matter.

If you're interested, we could share mails. You can reach me for another 60 minutes via [email protected].

Im interested in sales&trading at a sell side firm (think citi, JPM, UBS) or AM at a buyside firm (think vanguard, fidelity)

Alternatively doing something at a PWM firm, maybe investment sales. I love public speaking.

This is correct but youre kind of missing my point, Im not looking to get a job at RenTec or Two Sigma, that wouldn't fit my personality, unless I could do something like IR or Inv Wholesaling for them. I like public speaking and relationships more than coding.

Agreed. Honestly Id even put strict IBD above my paygrade as well. The work/life balance doesn't sound sustainable or worth it. I have friends in that world, not my thing. The people I know and like are in equity and debt capital markets in one way or another, so this is cool to hear.

>This is correct but youre kind of missing my point, Im not looking to get a job at RenTec or Two Sigma, that wouldn't fit my personality, unless I could do something like IR or Inv Wholesaling for them. I like public speaking and relationships more than coding.

Neither of those companies hire for those positions.

Looks like I don't belong at those places then. Can easily achieve the same comp at one of the places I listed, and I would probably enjoy it more. Knowing anything about this can only help my chances at getting an internship and eventually a FTO at a propshop/HF/PWM/AM/sell side/FA where Im better suited than a HFT/QHF

sent you an email from a permanent address. Thank you!

Received and replied!

user I was you a long long while ago. So I went to Jow Forums. That was just before the rise of shitcoins. I found me some investors and I did get some real life experience. I can't really bothered to read the whole thread so sorry if I'm not contributing anything new.

I read til there and this user pretty much gets it.

My best advice, there is no shame in taking a few hundred bucks and doing some live trading. Yeah sure u might loose all of it but the experience u gain is worth more than paper trading imo. That being said, you won't find much value in posting here nor on Jow Forums.

How much do you value your user status? Because what you need, is to connect with the right people in the industry. So if you are down to fuck with real money, post some contact data.

Algotrading is a meme. You can't predict the market.