Why everything has to keep changing. I just want to go back to Win 7, Android 4 and pre-CoCk Linux with Gnome 2...

Why everything has to keep changing. I just want to go back to Win 7, Android 4 and pre-CoCk Linux with Gnome 2. With win xp I kept using it for like 7-8 years since I switched to it in 2003 to play Vice City and use TV tuner. A lot of time has passed so I was ok with switching to win 7 especially that it looked nicer and offered some new cool features like Aero Snap. But then they just announced 8 out of the blue. I was hoping to wait it out but 10 turned out to be a disaster also, and what's worse they fell for continous update meme so it means we are stuck with it forever until Microsoft will go bankrupt. Same with browsers. I don't really see any new features in my browser compared to what I used in 2008 but the updates just keep coming. Why updates, I just want browse websites, it's just HTML and CSS + java script to make meme unusable webpages for normies with everything moving around so finding information you need takes an hour instead of minute. Webpages are just bunch of text and 2d images, what is there to change? Do we really need a 69 version of Firefox or Chrome so the hamburger menu website will work even slower than it used before because someone really need to put a 3d HTML 5 dancing hamster in the background? Or office packets. Even if you add something new (which will be used by 0,00000001% of the users which for some reason need do something more complicated than a VLOOKUP) than don't change the interface with every version. If your changes are so miniscule that you have to switch all the buttons around to pretend that you have actually done something then maybe you shouldn't release the new version in the first place. Just like smartphones. An exciting new technology has been changed to an interactive tv where all you can do is just to click on colorful icons. Producers were unable to create anything new which could improve the usability so now we have all this shit technology like bezel, notch and 5 cameras (as if 2 weren't already too much)

Attached: 1393715293571739438.jpg (599x780, 281K)

Other urls found in this thread:

neocities.org/browse
androidpit.com/innovation-sacrificed-profit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Where's the unsubscribe button

learn how to make paragraphs nigger

Attached: 1541521420896.png (417x578, 195K)

t. autistic manchild with nothing to look forward to in life so he only reflects on his past

>thanks for coming to my TED talk

i feel u brO

You forgot the "x"

Nigga I ain't reading all of that.

Windows 7 and Android 4 (before all the material design bullshit) are peak comfy
Windows XP service pack 3 also bretty gud if you don't agree with 7 for some reason
Also classic Firefox, 3.something before they went full retard with the numbers and everything became super laggy

We have to go back

Attached: main-qimg-fec710a867d041851351f9e11cfcf8a2-c.jpg (602x565, 84K)

Attached: IMG_2301.jpg (1079x1028, 184K)

yup

nice formatting brah

Attached: 1470558039944.jpg (392x500, 151K)

How can I make modern android look like old one?

you could make the homescreen look like old versions by using a custom launcher
But it doesn't affect the rest of the operating system
or the apps

Face it, the good times are never coming back

Attached: IhjlPPU.png (652x520, 305K)

Yeah, remember when computers were fun to use? Remember when the internet was just a clusterfuck of small forums and personal blogs and IRC chats people would use after school/work? I got my first computer in 2004 so I was lucky enough to get to experience the tail end of the glory days of the web.

I think what I miss the most is the truly unique hardware like old PowerMac G3s and G4s and especially SGI machines, which were being thrown away and given out like candy around 10 years ago. Sun also had some nice hardware. Everything now is shitty x86 hardware with Winshit 10 in an ugly RGB lit gaymur window case. Even cheap PC cases looked alright back then. The only thing remotely comparable now is some Dell prebuilt cases.

Also fuck reddit. It's an unusable dumpster fire. I want my tiny forums back.

Attached: original_1b30958b764079ca21db7f48f022c808.jpg (612x410, 59K)

>Yeah, remember when computers were fun to use?
Or when technology itself was actually fun. You could read the news and anticipate something cool. Maybe new game, console or other hardware. When I was looking at PSP or Nokia 6600 I thought that it is amazing and I really wanted to have it. That hardware had personality, it was unique and it was fun to use. And now every smartphone looks exactly the same, they are just changing the proportions.

When I read the news I just think to myself "I wonder what they will fuck up next". It's like the whole wolrd got stuck somewhere between 2012-2014.

Also check out neocities
neocities.org/browse
There is a lot of hipster stuff there but it brings some memories back of how Internet used to be.

Attached: nokia-6600-i1.jpg (770x433, 37K)

I think what I'm missing in the hardware is sharp edges and corners. A lot of early 2000s computers could pull off the rounded look by having transparent plastic and stuff but these days everything is just an undefined, smooth blob of tasteless shit. The blocky and sharp shapes on older devices makes them look and feel more substantial. They felt more like machines than the children's toys we have now.

NeoCities also cool. I made a couple sites there.

Attached: chess.png (640x480, 29K)

technology is starting to stagnate. I remember when your 4 year old computer would be worthless because so much new tech would be developed in 4 years.

He'd be called a redditor if he uses proper paragraphs that are easy to read.

True. I'm using a Core2 Quad machine from 2007. I also have a Nexus 5 from 2013. Both work fine still.

Asuka is worst girl rei is best girl

Attached: 36E90B2A-5233-49D8-9598-73F2A8E0777C.jpg (197x300, 40K)

ok brainlet

I'm still on Win7. lol But, you are right to a certain degree. The reason for the most change is something called, "Planned Obsolescence."

Attached: 1536854965485.jpg (640x951, 44K)

both shit
MOMMY GF MISATO IS BEST GRILL

Attached: 1517904268115.jpg (736x414, 47K)

based

OP here, I prefer Rei too but I really like the image I have posted. It's one of my favourites.

That's why I use gentoo. Openbox will look and feel the same forever. If a package gets bloated with >9000 deps with an update, I just keep the old version. Also, that fucking CoC doesn't bother users. Linus actually did the smart thing and told people to request changes upstream, eg. in that stupid covenant. When this gains traction, that ada dude won't be so proud of his "achievement".

What does the arrow pointing her cleveage say?
Koko ni... What?

i can't read nip but i remember someone here translating it as
>LOOK HERE!

I'm having a hard time reading this clusterfuck but I understand anyway.
We are at a point where everything is change for the sake of change. For some reason we are no longer allowed to stick to something and improve it and instead throw away and start something new.
Windows 7 for example if all the effort that was put into windows 8/10 was just put into making Windows 7 better, Microsoft would legitimately be better off
Phones also didn't need to change, ~2014 phone design was good enough we don't need to have all this stupid curved screen and notch rubbish that was just there to get people to buy new phones

Every new movie is a remake or sequel/prequel to an old one...

Attached: sad pepe black background.jpg (800x450, 34K)

Attached: 1FC.gif (500x384, 392K)

No he wouldnt

Reddit spacing is something else

I agree with op

Android 4.4 was good

Stop.

./Subscribe

I agree, we're out of luck and its only going to get worse unless there is actual consequences to webdevs and other developers for "I'm just doing my job." nazi like excuses.

Attached: Disaster Girl Meme Zoe Roth Now.jpg (410x492, 25K)

Koko ni chumoku

Yeah, we need Nuremberg trials for webdevs.

Fuck this thread makes me want to get a new battery for my old Nexus 5 and load up Jelly bean on it.

I tried using my galaxy s2 the other day to chuck lineage on it but it seems to have bricked itself. It will boot to recovery and odin but i cant get anything to work or actually recover

Ah yes, I remember playing Point Blank on an SGI box like the rightmost on that picture. And it was plenty fast, probably something to do with competent programmers.

>technology is starting to stagnate.
Very true. My Samsung S3 is not that much worse than S8 or S9 in terms of hardware, it is just not supported anymore and that is really all. And I dropped buying the S9 since it is far from clear that the Spectre/Meltdown issues have been cured yet. I'll wait for S11.

Linux is better now, Android 8 with LOS is comfy. It exists uMatrix, uBlock, KDEconnect, retroarch that works, wine that mostly works, fdroid, newpipe, orbot. I can phonepost. I can listen to vaporwave while programming from remote with an ssh connection using termux.
I like the present more, you are just removing the emule virus dispenser, limewire and msn status.
The only thing that was good in the past was Google and the fact that Java was new and less used.
You can emulate your beloved j2me if you want.

all these "old" phones wouldn't be slow if someone reminded programmers about optimization.

Nowadays, devs don't really care about optimization (especially in video games). So if something doesn't run well on any current platform, they'll blame it on the manufacturers.

Latex makes any grill good.
Koko means "here", and ni means "direction of"

Attached: picture10.jpg (395x600, 40K)

Just stop watching movies and TV. Read books instead. Documentaries and educational are okay to watch, though. Everything else is mind-rot. Avoid most music with lyrics, too. Instrumentals are typically better for the mind.

I had a Sony Ericcson P1i earlier, very comfy phone. The baseband part was excellent, connections were reliable when others lost their connections. It even had a plug so you could connect an external antenna.

The applications though were disasters, examples of outsourcing gone mad. For instance the RSS reader became slower to use the more feeds you had in the same folder. Bizarre. I also had Opera mini, this made by real programmers, and it flew on the 300 MHz 32-bit ARM processor.

Today you need a 1 GHz 65-bit ARM to make a watch face trundle along in acceptable frame rate.

Also, interesting to see how many in here agree that keyboards must return, and that clam shell form is good. I agree. Sadly marketing people don't pop in here to look for inspirations.

Attached: mayumi_asuka04.jpg (556x490, 41K)

the eternal cry of the boomer

New phones come equipped with 4-8 gigs of RAM, 2-3GHz CPUs and graphics chips that can rival 2008's fastest GPUs, yet all of them perform like dog shit due to all the data collecting and advertising going on.

feel like shit just want him back

Attached: proxy.duckfuckgo.com.jpg (1978x1626, 766K)

[THE BOOMER INTENSIFIES]

I hear rumours that stopping Google Services on your phone makes it a lot speedier and also makes the battery last longer. You will of course lose maps and navigation as well as the spying.

>Why everything has to keep changing
It's the will of the Changer of Ways, the Chaos God of Change, Evolution, Intrigue and Sorcery, he who weaves the threads that connect every action, plot and subtle intrigue in a galaxy-wide game of manipulation and subterfuge. At the end of each of these threads lays the ensnared soul of a human puppet

Attached: Tzeentch_Changer_of_Ways.jpg (727x1024, 297K)

>t.Jordan Peterson

t. human puppet :-)

What manga is this?

>Latex makes any grill good.
this tbqh

I just wait for postmarketOS or any other Linux on phone (I suppose I could use Halium but Android part is scary) to support calls, that shit is fast, newest Linux software is faster than original Android 2.3.6 on shitty phone with 800MHz CPU and 512MB of RAM

I want Usuka to bite me with her perfect teeth

Using Linux since 1998
Shit is still the same as it was then

what now?

This thread made me go grab my old Razr phone and I guess I can still fluently type in T9Word. Muscle memory is a crazy thing.

I haven't read the text but I can sadly relate to this statement

Absolutely this. 4.4.4 was the best Android version and the last good, for that matter. Everything after is a pile of trash. Same thing for windblows and 7.

The latex threads at are quite tasteful.

Attached: plastic_little04.jpg (712x1024, 124K)

>this isn't LaTeX

>Android 4
Jesus Christ, no. 7.1.2 was the peak of Android.

The latex clubs 2 blocks down

Sorry but this is the technology board. We love technology! If you're afraid of new things, that's okay, but you're in the minority here. Also, Windows 10 is a good operating system. Sometimes change is good.

>liking technology means mindlessly sucking the cock of all who produce it
Modern tech is shit

Subtle troll

>FORM OVER FUNCTIONtm
Don't you know the latest sensation rocking the nation user?

Not knowing what a redditor's post looks like, what good fa/g/got you are, and it isn't even meant as an insult, like, there should be more of you.

what, and then be called a reddit fag?

>Win 7
was always botnet
>Android 4
If you have an old phone that supports it then just revert to an 4.0 ROM, it should still work fine
>Linux CoC
Literally does not affect you in the slightest as a user
>Gnome 2
Use MATE

tl;dr quit your bitching OP

ive asked myself the same thing since websites stopped using simple html

Install Ubuntu MATE.

Funny then that uses ultra plain HTML for the FAQs.

>my neighbors used to listen to justin bieber
>now they dont

>unless there is actual consequences
There are consequences. They are called "outsourcing."

Webdevs are made redundant and with no trial.

>muh nazi
why so Obsessed?
This isn't Jow Forums

True, despite all the shit that happened, Linux overall did improve: more compatibility, more software and more choice. Good FOSS Android ROMs also appeared.
However, "mainstream" stuff definitely got shittier. Versions of Windows past 7 have no technical reason to exist, "updates" on phones unironically exist just to cripple the OS and have you buy the latest one, and current smartphone designs rely on dumb gimmicks like notches and a million cameras. Fuck this shit.

You are the problem, not the technology.
Windows 7 is shit, it's older now than XP was when 7 came out, and if you aren't using Linux by now you are an idiot. You can get your Gnome 2 with Mate, it is literally the same fucking thing. Android 4 was garbage, Android 8 is much better and secure - it even has a sandbox FFS.
If you think that browsers aren't improving you are also a blind idiot. AV1 just got into mainstream browsers, Firefox is being rewritten in Rust and it becomes faster, fucking peertube is a p2p youtube for browsers - it's like a wet dream from 2007.
AMD just announced 7nm tech, it's amazing and I'm really looking forward to it.
New programming socks are being sold every day.
Stop being a pathetic joyless negative idiot. People like you are making me sick.

Attached: lookindown.jpg (536x536, 52K)

I was agreeing until you mentioned Rust.

You can't deny that Quantum is faster and Servo beats records.

>Why everything has to keep changing.
Here is one explanation:
androidpit.com/innovation-sacrificed-profit

Computer technology has undeniably been getting better. The reason it may not feel like it is due to the recent social issues surrounding it. They include
- total data surveillance
- normalfags taking over the Web
- moderation centralizing (Facebook, Twitter, leddit, Discord, etc. don't really allow communities to manage themselves)
- SJWs converging major FOSS projects
- (the most recent one) Internet infrastructure providers becoming increasingly politicized
These are not problems you can solve by going back to early 2000s Internet. We know it fail. The only real solution I see is in P2P -- not federated -- networks/application platforms. If successful, they will at least make it possible to create Internet communities that don't answer to global moderators, have better data privacy, are harder for normalfags to discover and opaque to Internet infrastructure providers. If it becomes possible to find work on P2P networks (e.g., via pseudonymous freelancing applications), it will make FOSS projects more resistant to SJWs, too, because they won't be able to fire you.

Attached: consolidation of consumer internet.jpg (900x2002, 439K)

opera mobile LABS edition is the greatest browser
my barnes and noble franken-nook was running full fledged scripts

Hello, Russian.

Have you noticed that Asuka cosplays are on average better than Rei cosplays?

>technology is starting to stagnate
Not all of it. Some technologies, like desktop CPUs, have simply reached maturity. Others, like SSDs and DNA sequencing chips, are still full Moore.

>Everything now is shitty x86 hardware
This is changing.

this is because developers are hired for a full time job. let's say firefox devs. They design UI to the point where it's ok and usable. What to do then? Fire them? Does not work that way. Assign them to iron out bugs? No, not competent enough, or will never comply. So they sit there and continue to """"improve"""" their shit. To cater for more (retarded) people, to stay competitive.
also low server costs (to distribute updates) and more powerful hardware allow or shitton of constant updates and shit optimization
I cannot(not that I ever want to) comfortably browse facebook with a 200$ machine, while in the past same machine would be 5X slower, but would run any webpage with no problem.

THIS IS GOING TO GE ONLY WORSE

I started out on Win95 and have basically used every consumer version of windows.

95, 98,98SE PLUS, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 10.

I've never had a problem adapting to them. I actually wouldn't go back to 7, they are still often brought into the shop for repairs, but I wouldn't use them for my personal machine.

I started on 98, and I agree, until W10. There are just some things about it that drive me up a wall, like the forced updates and the attempts to switch things to be Microsoft store only, and cortana in general. I reinstalled W7 because I'm hoping some of these things will get progressively better with updates.

>They design UI to the point where it's ok and usable. What to do then? Fire them?
There are still useful features missing that they could implement.

just make yourself a hole in the dirt and live there

>Documentaries and educational are okay to watch
Not at all. They pretend to be true.

OLD GOOD

NEW BAD

>4.4.4 was the best Android
Yes, I agree
I could get tons of data from devices running that version
Security was an unknown word in that version

The idiot UI designers people hire now a days are too stupid to fathom useful features outside the most bare bones basic internet browser features.
Unless your Vivaldi and in that case your entire team is just UI since your already using chromium and you end up with a browser that has alot going for it

>your entire team is just UI
Not sure about that. They are working on a mail client and is dogfooding it. That has to be original work since it is not part of Chrome.