/wdg/ - Web Development General

Threads need to stop dying while I'm asleep edition (not that anything could be done; we hit bump limit, but just like probabilistically: stop)

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.org
codecademy.com
hackr.io
theodinproject.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg_computer_fire.jpg (600x931, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

material.io/
pastebin.com/ZmAfrHMj
stackoverflow.com/questions/42036349/uncaught-typeerror-intermediate-value-is-not-a-function
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/:not
udemy.com/the-web-developer-bootcamp/?ranMID=39197&ranEAID=jU79Zysihs4&ranSiteID=jU79Zysihs4-2.pMG5KVQuyvO7iKxtMKPg&siteID=jU79Zysihs4-2.pMG5KVQuyvO7iKxtMKPg&LSNPUBID=jU79Zysihs4
freecoursesite.com/1-the-web-developer-bootcamp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

material.io/

R8 my PostgreSQL
pastebin.com/ZmAfrHMj
>inb4 shitskin

Attached: sql.png (684x842, 30K)

>those fields
fap material 4 me tbqh

I need some help trying to figure out what is the correct selector for stylus' 'code area'. I want my theme to be applied to everything but the 'code area'. * :not(.CodeMirror) doesn't work for some reason.

Attached: 1529059824016.png (1224x746, 77K)

how I would do this:
{
*{color:black}
.code_area{color:red;}
}

all your websites are insecure
if your website runs javascript, its insecure.

I've been studying more for like 3 weeks and I have realized a couple of things.
1) MDN deserves the first place on the beginner resources. The degree of understanding I got from there is miles ahead freecodecamp and codecademy.
2) After this info overdose I made the mistake of making things overly complex when building a website.
3) It's stressful when you get stuck for a couple of hours on a simple mistake
4) I like this, time flies when doing this shit.

Also thanks for the threads and the resources.

Attached: 1530908198953.jpg (637x706, 74K)

I mean, if you're a beginner no matter what you gonna make mistakes. We all do. Programming really enforces learning from them and evolving. You need to be good at doing research.

If you can do that, you will be a good programmer.

Been studying web development for a while. I want to get a remote job, what should I do? I can't network irl. I'm confident in my skills, I only need to find someone who will let me prove myself, how do I go about doing that?

Anyone use h2o as their web server?

So I am on my second week of my first inetrnship for a start up. The first week I learned bootstrap and now I am doing a course on Vue.js. Prior to this I have never really bothered with frameworks and although I can definitely see the advantages of using bootstrap for fast CSS and grid I am having trouble seeing the point of Vue.

To me vue seems redundant and bloatey in that it isn't anything new but just more shit to learn to potetntially have javascript shortcuts. What can you guys tell me about this? Like is there more to it?

>You need to be good at doing research.

I actually think that's one of my strongest skills, I've always loved researching pretty much everything.

yeah it is pretty cool
but my use is nothing serious

>I've always loved researching pretty much everything.
Research the link between Irish and Scottish and the Scythians.

My use wouldn't be serious either, is it true it's simpler than nginx

Same, but I want to keep pic related working.

Attached: 1517250369397.png (327x423, 27K)

well for nginx there are a lot of docs and you just install binary
with h2o you have to compile it and there are not so many docs
but I am not complaining it is fun using it

i mean, lately you use frameworks for everything otherwise you end up with long ass javascript code which is annoying and terrible to look at when something breaks and stuff like that. Also, working with frameworks makes it easier for people to understand your code if they have studied it or know it so...

forgot to add that it also saves time

Why would i need a framework? What can't i do with simple good ol HTML CSS JS and Back end Node for example? I legit struggle to find a solution for it, i just made a calculator using only React and it has been a fucking mess of a code (in my opinion) and i am sure it would have been way easier and faster without it. So, basically, why use a front-end framework

Attached: 124812948128571.png (400x400, 154K)

Dunno, I haven't dug into JS so far yet but I feel the same about CSS frameworks.
I get Bootstrap was useful in the past, but aligning shit with flex, grid and media queries is easy as fuck and I don't need a fucking framework to style my buttons or make a navbar.

Got it. Weird af, but works.

Attached: 1528014271366.png (1258x751, 78K)

what is there to rate?
The lack of replacements?
The missing ddl and dml statements?

it's mostly for making it responsive out of fucking nowhere, having automatic sticky navbars, having premade form validation, etc

is this valid css? I didn't even know :not existed

I'm learning bruh, just working with select since is safer for a beginner, no data gets harmed

congratulations man, thanks for sharing, today I learned something new

Attached: 1535565053996.gif (624x664, 1.26M)

select is dml though

Part of a webapp I'm working on involves getting images from another site (cross-domain) and putting them into a collage. I want the user to be able to download the collage, but I'm running into all sorts of issues with canvas tainting and CORS stuff. Any ideas on where to go? I'm really lost

Parallax scrolling makes me sick, and more and more sites are using it.

>what happens when you webdev without an i7

holy FUCK I spent like 16 hours trying to fix something and I was just missing a single flag ajsklfhgds
polite sage

namecheap says they have a black friday sale, it's in just 8 days. should I wait?
if it's just for 5% I won't wait until then since I won't be buying extra domains.

So I'm using sockets.io to emit an 'update' that increments a counter server-side. it also passes the width of the object that called it (emit('update', 'update'.css(width)). How do I make it so the server updates the width? All I can do from the tutorial is print the width to the console

What am I doing wrong here?
This code is mostly copied.
The contents of the function or whatever is in the second line don't run at all.
var waitForCanvas = timeoutms => new Promise((r, j)=>{
var check = () => {
canvas = document.getElementById(name);
if(canvas) //Canvas exists
r()
else if(timeoutms

That pc must have one of those new Intel™ Molten Lake® CPUs I heard about.

i figured it out :)

you're missing a semicolon after the }) on line 16.
stackoverflow.com/questions/42036349/uncaught-typeerror-intermediate-value-is-not-a-function

getting a remote job as a junior developer is pretty much impossible, ur too much of a possible liability for the company

get a normal job or two first then try to get a remote one. or negotiate with ur superior to let u work from home more

I'm using a video header for the site I'm building, but in some situations the video stops playing or doesn't load anything other than it's first frame (when I reload the page or hit F5, for example)

is this normal?

>I don't need a fucking framework to style my buttons or make a navbar.
Post a site you made. I bet it looks like trash.

Using a framework for a calculator is a bit of an overkill but good practice I guess. React is really good for server side rendering and updating itself as its state changes which is really useful if you're building something that needs that kind of functionality. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with bare bones.

Attached: 1517127962701.jpg (1920x1080, 1.63M)

Any decent jobs in Philly or NYC? I'm not a hotshot, but I do have some professional experience and a bachelors degree. I need to live somewhere with public transportation.

lol

Not him, but that's insidious. This is why I always include semicolons.

Yes, there are in fact jobs in major cities. Some of them are bound of be decent by your standards. Have you tried looking?

Yeah man I've looked a little. I just wanted to get a sense of things from actual professionals. There's bound to be several of you who actually work in these large northeast cities.

As a full time full stack web developer I can honestly say that these threads are absolutely horseshit.

>on call tonight for master push
>I actually get called to fix a ton of shit
>tfw drunk and stoned

oh lawdy. Already push one patch and it worked somehow.

>full time

What you trying to prove, that you're not a freelancer? lol

As a senior-level multi-full-stack lead project developer, fuck yourself; these threads are great.

What's the most popular method of styling components in React nowadays? Styled Components, CSS Modules, something else?

Asking this again because i didnt get an answer last time;
What's the best and most lightweight frontend framework to go with node.js

(async ()=>{
waitForCanvas(2000)
})();

Anyone have any idea why this isn't waiting for the canvas like it's meant to?
Code after the function call ends up running before the waitForCanvas function.
Am I supposed to somehow use await or something? I tried to find out how to use await but all tutorials I could find were insane, as with all Javascript tutorials.

It's mozilla-made pseudoclass, but afaik it works in chrome-based browsers too. No idea about the others, you can probably read it up here. For some reason I couldn't get it to work with classes, but hey, my case was pretty unusual- theming webextension's gui with webextension while ignoring (about:config override) the fact that webextensions shouldn't work on moz-extension:// and other moz-schema pages.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/:not

Preact, maybe?

what time is it

That's it. I surrender. I am concluding that I have no option but to learn web development if I want to program certain things.
What is a non-Pajeet stack of technologies? I hate that PHP shit and I want to write as little pooscript as possible

Hello guys, I wish to scrape the content of attributes with python to make it easier for me to reference them, but I'm utterly unable to pull them out, once I extracted the input tag I can't go any lower.

is there a way to fetch the content of title = "" ?

Attached: 2018-11-14_12h00_12.png (1459x771, 88K)

On front-end you don't really have a choice and have to use HTML, CSS and JS. There are several databases you can use on back-end and pretty much every programming language has got some server framework to work with.

hi, I'm a javascript noob and I'm trying to store an element object as a variable. Problem is that pic related returns an HTMLDivElement which doesn't let me call aloha.getElementById("id"); later.
What is the common way to handle this?

Attached: pic related.png (516x117, 6K)

it seems it is well supported by pretty much all browsers

Is VUE worth learning or is it a meme hipster framework made recently for no fucking reason because React and Angular can do the same shit ?

Attached: 367373467.jpg (477x477, 41K)

Django vs Node for back-end? Pls halp.

Attached: 35225323525.jpg (500x500, 74K)

IDs should be unique, so you don't really ever need to call element.getElementById(). document.getElementById() should always suffice.
If you absolutely want to search for an element in an element, you could try using aloha.querySelectorAll() instead.

>can't manage to change a fucking border with material-ui

this is so bad, I'm never using this framework again after this. It's not listed anywhere on the docs or anything, fucking bullshit dude

I am learning VUE right now at my internship and it seem stupid. I have never used a javascript framework and I dont see the point. I feel like for the easiest of tasks it makes coding faster but the moment you go outside that you end up doing more work to get something going. Like I really dont want to learn this.

been learning html css js and such
but i need to get a site up yesterday

are there any build from template/drag and drop setups a noob could use to put something in place today, but then also have access to the code to build and customize as time goes on?

Attached: ext.jpg (900x900, 116K)

wordpress... sort of, it's drag and drop, but to modify something you pretty much have to do black magic with plugins php and js

>wordpress
ugh... any others?

If you're not proficient at prototyping by yourself, this is one of the few understandable uses for WordPress.
Although, almost anything you can do in WP in a few hours you should be able to do without it as well..

Why do you consider it a mess of a code? Calculator doesn't sound too much of a mess to make. How many components did you create?

brainlet here. wtf is node.js for

It's primarily used for developing server side or desktop applications in JavaScript.

okay thank you. for some reason this guy in myVUE tutorial wants me to use node.js to use a webpack template? why would I need node.js to do that?

Node is used to run webpack and compile and minimize your VUE components. You can use vue without webpack but in real life you'll basically always use some module bundler like webpack to bundle and make the Javascript assets delivered to the client as small as possible.

hmm well I guess I got no choice other than to get used to it. Its just hard because the guy in the video is german and has a weally bad wisp.

Maybe you should just find a tutorial that's easier to understand

The Udemy Web Developer Bootcamp is 95% off right now, it's available for $10, is it worth it?

Attached: 1541523775554.jpg (1537x1600, 195K)

For those of you who are self taught, how long did it take you to find a job at a company?

Attached: gonna kill my feels .jpg (1232x1226, 374K)

Is there any way to make an element sticky positioned relative to the viewport if I have it nested in various divs?

Checked.
Also, drop a link to the course, I might find you a download. If you find it useful I'd suggest paying for it.

udemy.com/the-web-developer-bootcamp/?ranMID=39197&ranEAID=jU79Zysihs4&ranSiteID=jU79Zysihs4-2.pMG5KVQuyvO7iKxtMKPg&siteID=jU79Zysihs4-2.pMG5KVQuyvO7iKxtMKPg&LSNPUBID=jU79Zysihs4

Black Friday sale so I don't have much time to figure out if it'll be worth paying for it, $10 at 95% off sure as hell is a good offer

From basic research I'm currently considering either this or FreeCodeCamp

Udemy is constantly having sales. Even if you miss this one, just wait a few days or weeks and they'll have another sale going.

I started making webapps on the side to make some extra cash.

How do you deal with some many frameworks and forks all over the place? Some things that were released 3 months ago don't work anymore, it's a nightmare of dependencies and interactions.

Udemy is always on sale as the other user pointed out.

Here's the course:
freecoursesite.com/1-the-web-developer-bootcamp/

Someone gifted it to me, did 80-90% of it. It was a good starter but it's a bit old, anyway I would recommend it, but as many other websites/tutorials it just scratches the surface.
I'm still learning (hell I started pretty much from scratch) and my tip is:
>codecademy for a first contact
>move to freecodecamp, do the HTML and CSS exercises
>move to MDN and read every fucking guide about HTML and CSS, specially flexbox and grid
>Create some shit (currently doing this myself)

From there, follow that route with JS, use freecodecamp for a bit of handholding, then expand that knowledge with MDN.
After that I plan on grabbing a book as well.

Also, the biggest mistake I made was trying to do a lot at the same time. Take your time and don't make a step further until the previous one is rock solid.
I'm unemployed right now and in 3 weeks doing this full time I've learnt more than in months fucking around in my free time.

>make some extra cash.
have you really made anything?

Attached: 1542305967840s.jpg (119x125, 3K)

yes, but keep in mind I live in the 3rd world.

Not him, but how long did it take you to learn html & css? I'm studying finance and accounting and I hate it. I thought about getting into web dev and just learn on my free time. I'm hoping I'll be able to land a job in the future.

hello,

I used to keep my classes and functions in includes folder, but since i tried to organize my folders according to laravel layout I don't know where to put them now. config folder, any other ?

I only made few folders so far since i'm novice and this is my first project.

Attached: dirstructure.png (477x183, 15K)

Well I started on my free time as well when working a full time job that killed my will to live so my time wasn't really productive.
I'd say git it a couple of months. Learning the basics is easy but then you have to practice, start to notice common patterns. Most likely you will breeze through the tutorials and then when you have to build something you will feel blank.

And I'm giving too many tips considering my life is a mess right now, but if you hate what you're studying and you aren't too far into it, consider dropping. I wish I did.

Cheers pal

I just finished the HTML lessons on freecodecamp but I'm a bit disappointed, I imagine by exercises you mean the lessons because I can't find any exercises.

I'd like a bunch of exercises where I can practice all the stuff they teach you in the lessons, like make you build something by yourself, rather than follow along lesson/exercises

Thanks for the information though, I hope to plow through this stuff and start making money with webdev as soon as I can, I already know how to program but without a degree I have a hard time getting a job and freelancing that kinda work is harder than webdev too.

Yeah I'm only taking like 3 classes and failing 2/3 of them. I just can't see myself doing accounting as a job. I want to drop out, but I feel like my family will just be worried about me. School is very important to them and they just want me to have a good life after they're gone.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do before?

Updating on this:

The Udemy course we were talking about a couple of posts up has some neat exercises in it to practice this stuff, I'd like more but for now these will do

I worked rearing sandworms. I never gave a fuck about my degree or college. Getting a degree just for the sake of it won't make your life better.

Course is good overall but tries to grasp many things in short time. You'll get a nice overview but that's it.
Hardest part for me at the beginning was filtering and choosing my resources.

>Hardest part for me at the beginning was filtering and choosing my resources.
iktf

Would you mind adding me on Discord or Steam or whichever chatting thing you use more often? We both share the goal of learning this shit well and fast, I think it would be extremely useful to stay in touch.

Granted, you're 3 weeks ahead of me so I'll be tailing you for a while.

Here's my Discord tag if you're interested
ItDepends#7248

Fellas, I'm fucking desperate here.

Nobody is hiring me, I have no professional programming experience and there's no start up companies in my country. They all ask minimum 2 years of experience even for junior positions.

Upwork keeps rejecting my profile as well. What the fuck can I do?

Post your portfolio on here, so we can see your work.

How did you get an internship? All the internship around me requires me to be in college like wtf difference does it make

What are good design patterns for secure routes in Node JS?

Is writing a router that pulls in middleware to call next() or return an unauthorised message good enough, should the controller handle authentication? It feels a bit flaky to have a single function call in a route dictate whether people have to login or not to access [veryImportantData.json]

Another option would be

app.all('/secure', checkSecurity);
app.post('/secure', etc);

Questions about using licenses on social sites like GitHub.

1) If I add an MIT license file in a commit further down the line (i.e. not first commit, but many many commits later), can somebody legally fork a previous commit without the license, slap their own license on it and then order me to take down my repo because some past commits are unlicensed while they have licensed those commits as their own, therefore granting them ownership of the code within?

2) Is there a notable presence on GitHub, Bitbucket, etc, of people trawling through public repositories looking for unlicensed work they can poach and license as their own?

Make your own software and sell it