Why did Microsoft remove this nifty little thing in Windows 8? Why do we still not have an alternative?

Why did Microsoft remove this nifty little thing in Windows 8? Why do we still not have an alternative?

Attached: widget.png (198x159, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/security-updates/SecurityAdvisories/2013/2719662
dennisbabkin.com/ctm/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you know that rainmeter exists right?

it had some nasty exploit, allegedly.

>relying on third party programs for a feature that was already implemented 10 years ago

Attached: IM THE COATHANGER IN YOUR MANS VAGINA.png (443x531, 48K)

Because
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/security-updates/SecurityAdvisories/2013/2719662

yeah and that feature was implemented like shit

read

>"An attacker could create a malicious Gadget and then trick a user into installing the malicious Gadget."
sure is shocking that something that you download might be malicious

Attached: boo.jpg (510x430, 47K)

CPUID HWmonitor, dummy.

see

how about you try the actual program instead of assuming shit
it's far more useful than that meme gadget

Man I sure want to install shareware bullshit for extra features I don't need

if you're too retarded to read all the information then sure, get that cute little speed-o-meter, I'm sure it suits your 3 y/o brain better.
kisses on the belly 4u

Internet Explorer is the built-in browser
>"relying on third party programs for a feature that was already implemented 10 years ago"
Why install a different browser when Internet Explorer was already implemented 23 years ago?

>not wanting to waste time on reading unnecessary stats = retarded
bet you're one of the people that think the harder software is to use the better it is

how fucking hard is it to click the download button on the rainmeter website you fucking braindead moron?

the difference here is that internet explorer is a piece of shit, widgets do what they're supposed to do well enough
>inb4 muh ricing
fuck off back to /wg/

you're an apple user aren't you?

point is i shouldnt rely on shitty proprietary third party software for a feature which was inexplicably removed
if i was an apple user why would i be complaining about windows removing a feature i use? you must thing youre special for using arch with i3

I use windose seben.

>tfw "shitty proprietary software" (even though windows is shitty proprietary software) uses less computing power to display information than the microcock gadget.

wow, excellent job completely misinterpreting my point by ignoring the part about third parties. glad i'm saving 0.1% of my processing power by installing something some random lad put up online

if you genuinely feel that way then literally unplug your lan cable, toss your computer in the bin and get a fucking type writer if you care so much about third-parties WHILE USING MICROSOFT WINDOWS MIGHT I ADD

you can still get a windows 7 style experience on windows 10. just install some 3rd party applications

Attached: desktop_gadgets.png (1202x1924, 2.42M)

Only trust our appstore goy!

And which ones are you using?

Classicshell & 8GadgetPack
Unrelated, but I also installed Locale Emulator for VNs and Volume2 to control the volume with the mousewheel when the mouse is on the taskbar. super convenient. I got tired of physically raising and lowering the volume each time so I just do that instead

>2 clocks
>2 dates
-2/10

>Microsoft is aware that some legitimate Gadgets running in Windows Sidebar could contain vulnerabilities. An attacker who successfully exploited a Gadget vulnerability could run arbitrary code in the context of the current user. If the current user is logged on with administrative user rights, an attacker could take complete control of the affected system.
>In addition, Gadgets can access your computer's files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time. Gadgets could also potentially harm your computer.

you could always use conky

My Windows 7 Still has them.

Attached: stillcangetit.png (1054x1068, 813K)

>HURR, I'M SO NEW I DON'T KNOW WHAT KONFABULATOR WAS

nigger, third party widget engines predated Windows Gadgets, were more full-featured, more efficient with resources, more abundant in options and widgets and were just overall generally BETTER than Gadgets.

Oh, did I mention FREE?

>not wanting to waste time on reading unnecessary stats
YOU'RE ON FUCKING Jow Forums, YOU DINGALING!

You literally are wasting time with every fucking post.

install conky

You can literally use the widget engine of Win7 on 8 or 10.

dennisbabkin.com/ctm/
Compact Tray Meter
Thank me later

Attached: nicotine.jpg (720x677, 40K)