/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %builtin/keyword%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1542228261026.png (704x1024, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

grammarbook.com/punctuation/hyphens.asp
torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#TBBJavaScriptEnabled
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows#UEFI_systems
eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-10-31-geforce-gtx-1060-vs-rx-580-7001
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love you all!

Attached: 1539570467892.jpg (1920x1080, 807K)

install CRUX

I love you too.

Attached: 1541456657170.jpg (360x360, 51K)

First for systemd-less, gnu-free Linux.

>systemd-less
Yes
>gnu-free
GNU is free, Linux is a kernel

Attached: 1482187973552.png (700x693, 137K)

But Linux is systemd and GNU-free.

grammarbook.com/punctuation/hyphens.asp

Attached: Screenshot_20181114_131306.png (384x285, 51K)

Sounds like someone is anti-competitive!

What's the best Snake game for Linux?

Attached: Cgasnake.png (533x400, 23K)

I have problems with playerctl. It can't recognize spotify or audacious, it sees vlc though. It outputs only "No players were found". Version is: v0.6.1

Hey guys i'm completely new to tor and the new tor addon feature in the latest icecat build. Can anyone tell me how I connect to the tor network using the addon that they gave us in the latest icecat? Don't really understand what to do

what's the best way to backup for something on the network? right now I use just cp and rm in a script but it doesn't take transfer errors into account. is there a more "professional" way to backup? the script checks for files at least 1w. copies them on a smb drive and removes them from source

How do I stop getting cucked?

nSnake my nigga

Attached: snek.png (1280x720, 15K)

sorry mate, but that didn't work. still no sound card found.

By realizing videogames are toys and finally let go the one reason holding you back to live a free life.

Post the results of
lspci | grep Audio

But dungeon crawl tho

Installed dwm and exec dwm is in my exec, but it won't start with startx. I never encountered this problem before in previous installations, any solution

>00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

Attached: Embrace.jpg (1920x1080, 192K)

Attached: Extend.jpg (1920x1080, 274K)

Attached: Extinguish.jpg (1920x1080, 184K)

found the problem, I don't have monospace font which is weird. How do get this package on void?

help any1?

Why not just using the Tor browser?

Ah, yes, America. Noted champion of free speech.

cause i have icecat

Di dyou run the modprobe command with sudo?
snd_hda_intel is the driver you need for that card.
You may need to check if hd audio has been enabled in your kernel.

All along i've been telling you not to use gpl. IF you used a proper license that protects your self you wouldnt be in this position!!!

Fuck off Microsoft

Attached: Microsoft hates GPL.jpg (1920x1080, 133K)

Attached: beware of BLOAT.jpg (1920x1080, 132K)

Ok, I found that I need to type "dbus-launch --exit-with-session" before "awesome"(my wm). How can I do that with LightDM? Is that even possible?

Attached: papież ati.gif (120x120, 79K)

xinitrc

Attached: fuck systemdicks.jpg (1920x1080, 88K)

Last, fuck Microsoft

Attached: this is where we are going.jpg (1920x1080, 136K)

So... I just left my laptop with Manjaro updating, and when I came back it started to tty instead of Gnome, I tried xinit and xstart and it says Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

Can anyone help me? I'm pretty new to Linux in general...

Attached: 20181114_164357.png (500x546, 330K)

I want to access a Windows Spanned volume on my OpenSUSE system.
How do I add the ldmtool /dev/mapper thingy to fstab?
The /dev/mapper/blah keeps disappering on reboot.

rsync?

See, tor browser exists for a reason. You use it to vanish in the masses, since all tor browser configs, user agents, etc are the same and it's configured not to leak data. Since you're new to tor, using tor browser is your best option.

>configured not to leak data
Javascript is enabled by default and they willingly enable it when creating the bundle.

torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#TBBJavaScriptEnabled

Their justifications have no merit. If you'/re going out of the way to download the tor bundle, and care about security, you can easily enable it on websites that need it.

As with all security related measures, it should be OPT IN not OPT OUT.

But LightDM takes care of launching awesome. How I would put "dbus-launch --exit-with-session awesome" in xinitrc?

How do properly set up scrot for i3?

bindsym $mod+Print --release exec --no-startup-id scrot '%d-%m-%Y_%l-%M-%p.png' -e 'mv $f /home/user/Pictures/Screenshots'
bindsym $mod+Shift+Print --release exec --no-startup-id scrot -u '%d-%m-%Y_%l-%M-%p.png' -e 'mv $f /home/user/Pictures/Screenshots'
bindsym $mod+Ctrl+Print --release exec --no-startup-id scrot -s '%d-%m-%Y_%l-%M-%p.png' -e 'mv $f /home/user/Pictures/Screenshots'

It takes a screenshot but it saves it to my home directory, not my Screenshots directory

I asked this in the /sqt/ but I'll ask here as well.

I know Steam has that thing they're doing now where they support nearly all of their games through some WINE-based compatibility thing, and for what I have on GOG, I figure I can just run through WINE itself. Am I wrong in thinking this? I wanna move 100% away from Windows but I'm a babby and need muh games. Also do emulators like Dolphin and PCSX2 run well through WINE or have linux alternatives?

You open it with your favorite text editor and add it at the bottom with a & at the end

Dont use the mv part just put the path with the filename

Hi,

I'm looking for a question I may not know the answer to, but on which I can make an educated guess.

Will there be any issues if I run an XMPP server and a NextCloud instance at once on one VPS? It can take it, but will it clash in some way?

I'll try prosody for the XMPP.

Thanks!

Attached: acabcb988a953fb6.jpg (700x397, 95K)

Proton does not support every game. Offical its only a small portion.
Just because its on gog dosent mean it will work.
Opt in to the steam beta and download the client and turn on "steam play" aka proton.

But I want LightDM to launch my WM

Nothing fucking prevents you from using a login manager, its going to source xinitc

So I'm likely better off just dual-booting then?

So the command would be

scrot "date.png" /home/user/Pictures/Screenshots?

Build a micro atx pc around a 1080 and use it for gaming exclusively.

i am on windows 10

how do i put linux on the open part of my drive? I'm downloading arch rn btw

Attached: thisisametafilenameplzloveme.png (1366x768, 200K)

>Also do emulators like Dolphin and PCSX2 run well through WINE or have linux alternatives?

Dolphin and PCSX2 are available for linux.

Why dont you try it out?
Its not a thermonuclear warheaed launch system :)

>amd apu still not working 100%
what happened? thought amd was doing more work, can't afford a gpu now and keep having to hard reset my machine every once in a while

Should have gone nvidia, i told you bout those poor amd shills.

Nvidia is literally dogshit on Linux.

Make sure you're using a recent kernel.

Its literally the best performing driver available on linux.

had a nvidia card but ended up selling the rig because i wasn't gaming anymore
i am, even trying the RC kernels. even with the latest 4.19.2 still getting the problem.

How to disable GTK theme in Firefox?

As a matter of fact, why are all dark GTK themes shit?

Follow a guide

>Wake up sheeple!

Attached: foss.jpg (509x286, 41K)

Are you using Fedora ? Don't try obscure shit

ubuntu lts

>i am, even trying the RC kernels. even with the latest 4.19.2 still getting the problem.
What GPU is it?

>Doesn't even support Wayland
>Literally cucks you

ryzen 5 2400g

yes, I did run "sudo modprobe snd_hda_intel", it gives no output if it did anything. and yes, I did activate HD audio, but installed all codecs inside its option as modules. activated OSS emulation as well

How come when I try to update libc++ on Arch it runs benchmark tests? Can I get it to not do that?

they also added the tor extension for icecat as a reason, if it wasn't good enough they wouldnt have added it, im tired of people shilling me >install x

no my question is how do I use the default built in tor extension

Wayland chooses not to support nvidia, something they for some reason boast about all the time while their shitty software mopes around being a shit
Also.
why would they want to support such a hobby project that dosent support nvidia.

I already blow you out of the water with teh phornoix benchmarks showing unanimous superiority for nvidia carts.
Even the 1060 rapes the 580

Turn off tests. Im pretty sure its in the pkgbuild default

2200G on Manjaro working just fine

>turn off tests
that's what I wanna know how to do

Make sure fast startup is disabled in Windows.

Then you can literally follow wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide

Deviation: You don't need to create an EFI partition, as Windows has already created one (text is cut off on your screen, but seems to say EFI). Make sure to point /mnt/boot to that partition.

Install bootloader of choice while adhering to wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows#UEFI_systems

Which DE is the least buggy to use with Debian stable?

Best way to make kde neon look as retro as possible

Is there a list of popular distros one should avoid?

>Even the 1060 rapes the 580
eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-10-31-geforce-gtx-1060-vs-rx-580-7001

Why would you post things that are just flat out false?

No. They are popular for good reason.

using AMD FX-4100 with onboard graphics. Dolphin run GC games flawlessly in 720p upscale. could use the GoG installer for all Legacy of Kain games, Deus Ex, and Alone in the Dark:TNN, with no problems

How would one go about switching DEs? Like for example if I'm running xfce and want to try out MATE, then decide I want to stick with MATE, how would I go about installing and switching to MATE, then removing xfce?

a DE is a huge pre-arranged pack. generally your DM as a way to choose your WM before logging in

So add the cmake switches that disable tests,examples to the pkgbuild and compile

I want to nuke win10 off of my desktop and use either debian or ubuntu. Everyday tasks, homework, games, etc. I know Ubuntu gets all the official support for things. I don't want rolling release. I have Solus on my laptop for a while and am happy with that but want stable for my desktop. Is there any reason to use ubuntu lts over debian stable?

Attached: 1539281944771.jpg (740x638, 125K)

think about this: is there any reason to use debian
>ancient packages that don't get bugfixes because muh stability
>makes you install firmware yourself
sounds like a sane desktop distro worth recommending

Yeah makes sense. I don't want to be fighting the system to get proprietary drivers and codecs and shit to work. Probably just go with ubuntu.

What would be the Lesser evil if I want to play proprietary video games? I used to think was console gaming but there's no mods so you can't modify the software and its use is restricted to small family of appliances.
as cool as proton is I'm not sure if Steve is much better either on Linux nativity or in a windows partition.

too true, KDE froze for no reason while writing this post.
maybe I should switch to lxqt? Its not like I use many of the features in KDE anyway.

I use Syncthing but I've been wondering if there was a way to schedule or automate rsync. the fact that it can identify and change only the differences between two versions of a file is an advantage over Syncthing.

Attached: Screenshot_20181112_124134.png (1922x1080, 2.42M)

seen some people use sony-misc font and really love the look. Installed it and it's all squished together. Is this not a monospace font? How do I fix it? I see people use it in there terminal all the time

Dumb question but,

I use rofi and i3, and I like it. But is there a way to be able to run rofi as sort of a pop up terminal to run commands? Similar to Mod+R in qTile or what Awesome has?

go to the arch wiki for rofi and look at the first part on using it as a dmenu replacement

ty

Okay, solved it.
It was with stterm
Changed pixelsize to just size