What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: perl.gif (643x326, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

harmful.cat-v.org/software/
sites.google.com/site/steveyegge2/ancient-languages-perl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Python. Nobody needs that gay shit anymore.

Larry Wall looks like a pedophile.

Nothing. It's still a great language that's ubiquitous on Linux and BSDs and always be better than python for one-liners, regex, and text parsing.

"Perl 6" is not Perl, Rakudo is not Perl

Perl 5 the one true Perl!

It wasn't designed to be remembered.
Like, literally.

It can't be parsed correctly with external tools. That should tell you all you'd need to know.

terry davis was closer to god than wall :( wall is a bad protestant. he needs to question the scripture more. davis always reinterpreted his relationship to god and temple OS reflected that.

i think it's so weird how we have parts of life that we choose not to examine. like, wall was crazy about computers. but did he examine his relationship to god, or what the LORD is? no, he did not.

Its variable binding semantics and its C interface is better than Pythons. And better is worse, according to worse is better.

There was a five year gap between Perl 5.8.0 and 5.10.0 (the next stable version). 2002 to 2007.

That was the biggest fuck up in the history of the language, because that was right when the time Perl 6 was announced, so everyone thought Perl was dead, and that was right at the time Python was gaining popularity. Everyone jumped to Python and Perl has been crippled since.

It's basically the opposite of ML. And I'm not even a fan of ML based languages.

It absorbed too much "worse is better" from its common user land.

I still use it everyday at work. It's very comfy

Do you use a time machine to get to work?

Not him but I use it too and I prefer it to python

The part of the backend I work on has been around for a long time and has survived a few major refactorings. We are now slowly adding signatures instead of the crufty @_ preamble.

>Not him but I use it too and I prefer it to python
why? I don't like python, but I prefer using C and bash.

Was about to rant but I decided to be short, I don't like the 10 thousand things I need to install for python, Perl is more slim. I agree with C and bash in the appropriate cases tho.

use v5.??.?? isn't perl either.

Underrated post

I hate python for that reason too, since it seems to be overkill for most of my work, but my coworkers are so insistent on using it over bash scripting. I used perl back in college and it seemed pretty neat, but I never really got into it. What do you normally use perl for?

It looks like garbage
code is completely unreadable even if you are a seasoned perl coder

Attached: im324-Eclectic_shorthand_by_cross.png (324x616, 102K)

people are much gayer now, it's a fact

sauce?

bisphenol from plastic bottles?
Overartisanship

>sauce?

Evidence of the glazzies, brother.

Perl had lioe a 15 year gap between perl 5 and perl 6. It's my understanding that LW had some sort of cornea replacement surgery during that time period. Meanwhile Python rode an assfull of dicks into the niches previously occupied by perl, into the hands of brainlets, and into the shit ridden streets of India. [Side rant: do anything mildy useful in python,

yeah, without any knowledge of perl6 I've still felt it as a shadow looming backwards from the future over the perl landscape. Vapourware of sorts.

It runs on Parrot, not necessarily the JVM.

perl golf is worse than evil c.

Moreover, what went right?

t. never seen ioccc entries

in the classical Unix fashion Perl is a by-masters-for-masters language and it was just too easy to write completely unreadable code in it - mostly when wielded by people who didn't know better
when Python came out it was hailed as the second coming of christ that will fix everything ever and a lot of people quickly jumped ship
now, decades later, it is evident that Python fell into even worse traps, but it still has tremendous momentum so it just keeps on going even though it should be burned and the ashes scattered
these days there are also numerous other scripting languages like JS and Ruby which have much more hipster cred so it's unlikely Perl will ever return to the position it once held
oh well, Perl 5 is still a perfectly fine language, but you have to exercise some restraint or it ends up in tears

Some of the strangest looking human beings I've ever seen used Perl

They're weirder than people that like Haskell

Attached: 1541916163007.jpg (593x448, 32K)

It actually runs on moarVM. ParrotVM is dead.

This. It's because some of them are admins thinking they can into programming nao.

Perl's dead, baby.

Perl's dead.

Kossai Kinya, Hipporito, or Mariko made Abramermin of Mercury and made Ebenki's cistol the ultimate sack?
(19:59 of November 15, 2018)

2018/11/15 at 19: 54 ● 7 planet Lucifer? How are you? 19: 56 Hitman? 19: 58 A funny thing?
19: 50 Abramermelin Ebenki's cistrum is in a state of packing? 19: 51 Copper? Psyllium? Tomorrow?
19: 22 From the back of the head, the ultimate idiot? Homepage? Busan? 19: 48 back, head discomfort? An eternal idiot?
19: 06 Excretion image? Busan? The Ultimate Sistrum? 19: 07 Eternal idiot? Fatwa? Kashi Kinji?

2018/11/15 at 19: 37 ● Planet Lucifer and Planet Minerva are about Raaf and Ketu? Planet Lucifer - Rahf. Genetic relations also?

Magical association made abacus man of Japanese animation, manga and game with planet Lucifer and planet Minerva Abramerin.
Do you start with Belle Rose? k Country involved too? Genetic relations also? (Another name for Planet Lucifer is Feuton?) (19: 31, 2018/11/15)
Kossai, you seem to be threatening the baby with a bomb? Is it just after death? A company relationship? Suicide induction? (11: 22 of 2018/11/15)
Are babies, kokeshi, excrement and Ebenki 's schistrams being protected by titanium? (9: 43 of November 15, 2018)
Rado sonde's abramerin and ed is in a state of wrapping? Busan relation? Mr. hp? (___ ___ 0

At the planet Lucifer and the planet Minerva Abramerin, Hipporit covered the ultimate face mask of my face on my face,
Koshi Kishi makes my face the ultimate manuke face? (19: 33 of November 15, 2018)
Is your baby 's genitals stolen to disturb my heterosexual luck? Invincible and Ed did it? (10: 48 of November 20, 2018)
Your face is the ultimate face finger! Is it because Mariko? (17: 09 of 2018/11/15)
It seems me a meat sprout is planted? Is it a left butt? Kossai? (12: 14 of 2018/11/15)
Busan, what is wrong with Tsushima is coming to me? Ed relation? Diorama? (9: 44 of November 15, 2018)

The Perl family of programming language: Perl 5 and Perl 6 (also known as Raku).

So, yes, "Perl 6" is Perl.

>see this
>now you realize there's no hope left for Perl

Attached: 2000px-Camelia.svg.png (2000x1462, 166K)

>code is completely unreadable even if you are a seasoned perl coder
where did this meme come from? it's really not that hard to read if you understand the language

It's completely true and on purpose, most of the perl users nowadays are all "use strict" "don't do it that way" nonsense. At that point you might as well just use a different language. Ugly perl is beautiful.

kekola

a cute

Stop trying to push this meme, there is no such thing as Perl 6

Attached: _.png (399x299, 17K)

Perl6 is the Duke Nuk'em Forever of programming languages

python started being taught in schools, people recommended python to beginners because it forces indentation and more conventional coding practices, all the plebs using perl went onto use python/php/etc
that is to say nothing went wrong, perl just dropped a bunch of dead weight

>TLDR; Perl 6 is the Duke Nukem sequel of language releases.
perl5 and 6 are different languages for different purposes, the analogy is fine since it was overhyped, took years to develop, came out of the blue and under-delivered, but it's still a decent language that's worth looking into if you're into that kind of thing

if you're not using strict or warnings, which may perl programmers don't use, there's a lot of scenarios where you can produce very counter-intuitive statements that are difficult to translate into more sane code, couple this with every workplace having those few ancient and undocumented perl scripts creating a situation where people would much rather just leave the perl script to do its thing rather than even attempting to start cleaning it up or even rewriting it primarily because they don't have enough experience with perl
tl;dr ain't nobody got time for that

>if you're not using strict or warnings, which may perl programmers don't use, there's a lot of scenarios where you can produce very counter-intuitive statements that are difficult to translate into more sane code
this, also, use strict enables based binding checks

linkedin:
Perl in United States 25,785 results
Python in United States 112,608 results

It's not a bad language but they lost a self inflicted cultural war with perl6.

The python 2/3 split is way bigger than perl 5/6, nobody uses perl6 it's a completely different lang.

Love perl, started learning it a month ago, and it's great. It's cool how flexible the language is. Would I use it for large projects? No. Would I use it over python to create a quick script? Yes.

Attached: sketch-1542229365510.png (1080x1440, 1.88M)

>nobody uses perl6 it's a completely different lang.
lol I though perl6 died during production.

there's a couple implementations and honestly on paper the lang looks great. I'd much rather perl6 than python but that is not in the cards.

That was PHP. Or ECMAScript 4.
That said, it took - I believe - at least 3 failed implementations.

>one-liners, regex, and text parsing
That would be bash.

Nah, not bash. Different coreutils, maybe. Awk of course, but awk is super verbose and inconvenient.

even if people were using perl6 it's not like they makes any claims about compatibility like python3 did and anybody that knows anything about either language will tell you that they're not similar languages

Actually GNU bash 4 is a bloated piece of crap and has regex built-in. For those and other reasons shell scripts are not portable.

well GNU bash has a built in tcp stack, it's just an awful language and perl was the obvious choice back in the 80s.

>well GNU bash has a built in tcp stack
so do perl and python, but that is even less of a reason to use them

That's just the thing, when bash doesn't suffice, it's trivial to put in a couple awk or sed calls. But bash can do a lot natively now.

>For those and other reasons shell scripts are not portable.
That's why POSIX or /bin/sh is used.

bash is just a shell, not a language. You can certainly script with it though.

It's both though and it's not JUST a shell.

This, words of truth right here.

I can see you never used scripts for serious stuff.

>using scripts for serious stuff against better knowledge
I can see you are a nodev.

They need to get perl 5, make a perl 7 release without breaking compatibility with perl 5, and forget that perl6 never existed

I'm convinced half of Jow Forums are NEETs.

Are you joking? Have you ever held a job that heavily relied on linux?

This guys, lets rakudo die and keep going on better things.

>look into programming language
>designer is a practicing christian
>turn 360 and walk away

Attached: 1538577483659.jpg (2100x2100, 681K)

He has something in his teeth. What language?

JavaScript

python -m SimpleHTTPServer
muh tcp steak

use awk

Perl is considered harmful by the great masters of Unix.
harmful.cat-v.org/software/

only reason go isn't considered harmful is because it's the """brainchild""" of rob pike, hard to take their credibility without a grain of salt

Attached: portrait.jpg (500x335, 19K)

you can always rely on Steve Yegge to cut through all the bull/memes/hype/hearsay and give actual FACTS as to why a programming language is good or bad:
sites.google.com/site/steveyegge2/ancient-languages-perl

youre a conman, huckster and snake oil salesman Brenden, the fact that you try to meme yourself as a christian on an oriental tranny board speaks volumes of your spiritual values

PHP was easier for shitting out web stuff, no one bothered maintaining GUI library bindings, and Perl 6 took too long to happen. That said I love Perl and I will use it until it is no longer feasible, which will probably never happen. Ever since Plack became a thing a small knit community of Perl users have built stable equivalents to any part of the average Ruby, Python, JavaScript, PHP, etc. toolchain. Besides machine learning and popularity it's keeping up in almost every metric with its scripting competitors.

Perl in 2004 is a different beast than Perl in 2018. Conventions and best practices have changed for the better in a huge way. A couple of the criticisms in this article are still valid today, but the rest are attacks on the Perl culture of the time and Larry himself. Those arguments don't really hold weight considering the state of tech today. Everything else has degenerated into something far more terrible.

Perl in 2018 is basically irrelevant. The only reason to write Perl in 2018 is because you wrote Perl in 2004 and it's 20% easier to update it to Perl in 2018 than to rewrite the whole plate of spaghetti into python.

I really wish Larry went with Rakugo for the Perl 6 alias, but that's just the weeb in me talking. Raku isn't bad, Rakugo just reads/sounds right after so many years of Japanese instruction/anime.

I like the language and think it has merit today, despite becoming increasingly unpopular. Its more expressive than any other language that I've touched, has a mostly if not totally apolitical community, and CPAN is full of incredibly stable modules, many of which would've been adopted into the core by now, if Perl's maintainers weren't so conservative with their choices. Nothing else comes close. Maybe in another world ES7 and beyond would be the way forward for me, since so many of its new features are undeniably Perl-ish, but I can't deal with the constant bickering about gender and Trump. If you're going to argue at least argue about things even remotely connected to the language. I don't mind a good flamewar between nerds every once in a while, because you can almost always learn something from it (that's part of the reason I've stayed here so long), but I'm not interested in learning about someone's genitals or sociopolitical leanings.

fpbp

>Implying that JavaScript was ever designed

python isn't a shell

You are retarded

>tfw just started perl section in my scripting class

Wish me luck

>referencing "worse is better"
go back to infinity

>mentally ill people
>great masters of unix

you don't make a camel as a mascot and expect anything to go right

$_

That's a dromedary.

>Uriel
>great master of Unix

Attached: 1523118342981.jpg (650x564, 76K)

>Plack

What other outposts of perl still thrive for the perl inclined? Hot tips?

Did I just see that in powershell?