What are some projects I can put on my resume as a cs student?

What are some projects I can put on my resume as a cs student?

I'm a first year cs student, currently in an intro to cs class that is taught in java. This is really the only programming experience I have so far. Before college I started teaching myself C with some free online resources, but then life circumstances put me on hold, up until i started school, so I never got back into continuing learning C.

Given that my expertise is minimal to none, what are some beginner friendly projects I can do on my own to put on my resume? I started college late at 21 and I would like to be done and working as soon as possible.

I don't game, so gaming mods aren't really of interest to me. Somethings that interest me are UX design, data science, graphs, etc. which all seem to require to my understanding a significant amount of background before getting into.

Sorry for the brainlet question as most of you have probably been coding since in the womb, but I want to start working/internships, but i'm not going to wait and rely on my knowledge/projects from class to put on my resume. I just don't know where to begin.

Attached: h8F8A62A3.jpg (500x543, 25K)

>I don't game
Then why the pokemon?

Because Pokemon are cute

cause its a meme

Install gentoo

Bump, similar situation guy

Attached: Screenshot_20181028-003448_YouTube Vanced.jpg (2560x1440, 1.03M)

god I wish that were me

idk, what are some programs you wished existed?
write them or something

write impractical and completely useless, but interesting software
like all the PhDs do

a program that converts Celsius to Fahrenheit.

learn python and use scrapy/selenium to scrape data off the web. design a simple database in postgresql and put the web data in it. use that to do a simple machine learning project. maybe scrape pokemon sites and determine the best pokemons from that?

>bootcamp
it’s a meme for a reason, although you’ll end up with a lots of projects under your belt and enough programming knowledge to build up a decent career in programming

to add to this, you don't really need to know all the advanced stats and other things for machine learning algorithms. you can just learn about the individual types of machine learning from a high level perspective and let scikit do the heavy lifting after you figure out which algorithms to use.

>it’s a meme for a reason, although you’ll end up with a lots of projects under your belt and enough programming knowledge to build up a decent career in programming
>it's a meme
haha yeah, getting a job is my favorite maymay

>fell for the job meme
I feel bad for you

Join some clubs and get a leadership position, or just join some clubs period. Often times clubs do community service work that will really help pad a resume.
Jobs fucking love non school involvement, its much more useful to see "user was in xyz club and did this" rather than "user regurgitated 12 chapters and got a gpa" because realistically, how useful is getting an A on a test versus the experience gained in being in a club.

Also go to conferences. This is where you network and see what is useful.

why?

join a tech club, if they don't already then make absolutely damn sure they start hosting some sort of campus outreach/bootcamp/competition, put that on your resume.
code monkeys are a dime a dozen (literally, in india). people who can explain an idea coherently to the non-technical are worth nearly their weight in gold. at least their weight in copper

because ryan reynolds is kewt af

Efficient ROT13 encryption algorithm.

I am wondering why you are bothering to put uni stuff on your resume this early in your degree? I am half way through my second year and I still don't think its valid to put the stuff I'm learning on my resume. What job would involve any sort of material covered in a intro to programming class?

>not wanting to have colorfull pixels shaped as strange animal
pleb