Optical storage

long live the optical drive! Who still uses these handy little bastards?

Attached: OWCDVDR8XNP_gall3.jpg (500x500, 111K)

Go to rest, Terry, you're dead.

Attached: 1479578142105.jpg (1232x1040, 183K)

I just got a USB Blu-ray drive a few months ago, it sees rather frequent use

*waves a lordy arm* Over here, OP. I do onsite technical support. You never know when you're going to hit a machine that won't boot off USB (for whatever reason: too old, buggy BIOS, and UEFI can be a cunt about it too) - at which point you are so glad that everything since 1997 supports El Torito.

how bout that M-DISC, lads

I did hand in my homework at a CS course on a CD a week and a half ago. I'm not dumb to plug-in my pendrive into uni computers that probably are full of viruses. CDs cost 2$ per 10 here and I save 3-5 projects onto one.

I need an optical drive to install my eroges

Attached: KIMG1554.jpg (1681x993, 302K)

Here, user.

its shockingly nice to see useful things still appreciated on this oftentimes godforsaken site.
you give me hope on occasion Jow Forums thanks.

I keep my backups on dual-layer DVDs.

2000 years after they invented the codex, we're back to carving information into stone.

>he doesn't live two blocks away from a corner store that sells $5 movie discs
what's your excuse?

I have a little slot-in USB drive I use every now and then.

I don't think that in 100 years from now there will still be mdisc compatible burner on the market. Just use some htl bdr, they are cheaper, still made of inorganic shit and will last probably 20 years at least

I love them.

i bought few moths ago usb-bluray drive

You missunderstand mdisk, the burners need to be mdisk certified to make mdisk but normal optial drives can read them fine.

I just replaced the DVD drive in my tower with a blue ray drive that has mdisk support. Plan on making some long term backups of pictures and stuff.

I refuse to buy one of these new cases that lacks a 5.25" bay. I'll always have an internal optical drive in my system.

>normal optial drives can read them fine
I didn't know that, thanks

I seldom use it but there's no reason not to have one in these big computer cases. I occasionally need to rip a CD or Blu-ray disc, or just want to read an old backup. It blows me away they are making huge full ATX cases with no 5.25'' bays. Absolute retardation.

I do sometimes. I never adopted bluray so I still just have a dvd burner but it's my only DVD player and yes I still have a collection of DVDs. I also still have lots of old cdroms infact just recently I dug up my old copy of 3d Ultra Minigolf by Sierra and was seeing if it could run under Windows 7 and found out how to get it to work. Good times.

The hell is Gene Starwind doing in battle armor?

I've seen them use the space to shove more fans in the front.

I use optical discs in my Mac G4 Computers.

fuck I miss lightscribe

Muh optical drive's more for ripping music CDs than for backing up files now.

I hate optical media. They're loud, slow, clunky and unreliable

>Loud
Do you mean the spinning of the disc? The actual pathetic fuck is wrong with you?

I still use CDs, DVDs and MiniDiscs (although they're magneto-optical) for my Sony MD Recorder.

>unreliable
Yeah man, SSD's sure are the way to go. is direct proof of that. If you're talking about the drives, not discs my advice is not buying cheap chink shit, same as with all technology really.
I still have a lightscribe drive and got some discs recently. It was hell trying to find software for it, nero's design program won't install for some reason.
Based thread really, have you seen any other threads of this topic? Just curious.
They're pretty great if the claims are true. Speaking of other disc formats, I think BD-RE XL and DVD-RAM are particularly outstanding.
Anyone used these?

Again, I assume he bought the cheapest shit and always burnt everything at max speeds. By the way 8cm ones are always silent no matter what.

they are far more reliable than any other form of storage when handled properly

no data loss, no magnetic fuckery, no mechanical failures in the disk

ideal for long term archival purposes

>Who still uses these handy little bastards?
My 58 year old mom.

I do.

bump

Attached: MXL7-DVDRAM-sideA-296x300.jpg (296x300, 21K)

>episodes of TOS that reference computer tapes have aged better than muh disks in scifi from the 90s
I don't really hate optical media like I hate the memory of floppies but there's a reason they're dead and mostly gone and it's because it only makes sense as a distribution channel.

A local store has Blu-rays for $5 so I've been buying shit here and there, up to ~30 movies. I've also started buying DVD and Blu-ray box sets

Kanye...is that you?

ok pajeet

Even then it's not exactly loud. I mean fuck the exhaust fan in my bathroom is like 3-4 times louder than a disc drive. The buzzing of a fucking microwave is louder than a fucking disc drive. A FUCKING low speed ceiling fan is louder than a fucking disc drive!
The fuck kind of autistic shit is this guy on that a fucking disc drive is too loud? Seriously what kind of anal retentive fuck cares about this shit????

>8cm ones are always silent no matter what
And what the everliving fuck are you going to fit on 1.4 gigabytes a month before two thousand fucking nineteen?! Your diary?!

In case I need to re-install my Strat-O-Matic baseball game from the CD.

Attached: Youkilis_white_sox.png (636x333, 414K)

I have about 1TB of blank CDs and about 5 TB of blannk DVDs
I have no use for them
Money wasted

Time capsule.

>200 years lifespan
>compact in size
>often used as weapons
>fits average /g size

Attached: 28394324.jpg (1920x1080, 302K)

Me

Attached: 39067.gif (320x240, 53K)