What are your thoughts on IoT, Jow Forums?

What you we think about IoT? Would you have it in your fridge? In your home? In your car? Personally I'm really excited about this tech for business but I don't want it in my home.

Attached: robot].jpg (1440x1920, 328K)

Other urls found in this thread:

csoonline.com/article/3126924/security/here-are-the-61-passwords-that-powered-the-mirai-iot-botnet.html
youtube.com/watch?v=oCB1ac4jIrE
google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2013/jun/19/xbox-one-drm-second-hand-restrictions-abandoned
m.ign.com/articles/2013/08/12/xbox-one-no-longer-requires-kinect-to-function
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

IoT is a shit idea. Sure, sensor data and automation control can be useful, but that can stay in the LAN.

Awesome idea, awful execution, and as a result a huge security risk from XDRANDUM hackers and governments.

>your fridge gets ransomware; it locks the door and turns the cooler off until you pay up
>your thermostat gets ransomware and turns the heat to max
>your light bulbs become part of a Mirai clone botnet
>your door locks fail into a fail-open state

Yeah sounds great where do I sign up

What is awesome about it? I feel pretty much all of it doesn't need the "internet" part at all.

If they wanted to do the kind of things their doing today with IoT they should've overhauled a lot of systems protocols. They slapped it on to something that wasn't designed to handle it.

IoT offers centralisation and control in real time though, LAN can't realistically do that in all IoT applications like vehicle telematics.

Attached: Bosch-connected-vehicle-graphic.jpg (800x426, 71K)

I really dont see the point. Why would I need internet in my fridge in my car?

Who centralizes all IoT things? Theyre all proprietary vendor specific shit islands.

And yea, LAN could obviously also take in data from your car once you are home. That you need IoT in the car *while driving* seems unlikely and more of a security/privacy risk than anything else.

And if you are a car rental company and need to track your cars somehow, I'd label that car tracking rather than IoT.

Surely the manufacturers would make it reliably secure though?

the no. 2 actually has already happened but not because ransomware but because pajeets that code for the jewgle thing totally fucked up the NEST pajeet botnet thing, I worked for an electricity company were they offered those pieces of shit in a IoT plan to boomer texan oldfags and the amount of complains were ranging from hillarious to eventually sad when this old boomer that his wife had pneumonia and a bunch of other boomerfag diseases died because the fucking botnet thing though it was a great idea turn their house into a literal igloo in the middle of a cold wave. Fuck IoT, its totally unnecesary shit.

I suppose LAN could do that but then you'd have to do the information processing and analysis yourself, so you'd need a pretty beefy dedicated system for that. IoT outsources that requirement.

Fortunately even smartphones are beefy today, never mind desktop computers.

No problem wrangling 1 million data tuples (say, 1.5GB of data) into a graph. Your year's worth of collected data is processed in a minute or so.

Bahahaha no. Regulations will make an effort to stop these devices from shipping with default credentials, but the problem is they're manufactured in countries other than the USA so regulations dont matter.
csoonline.com/article/3126924/security/here-are-the-61-passwords-that-powered-the-mirai-iot-botnet.html

I have a pair of these in my lounge (inb4 richfag, I wish) and then a bunch of Philips Hue lightbulbs and Eve wallplugs. It's useful to be able to yell out something and have lights go on/off, or to control simple things like fans. IFTTT support is nice as well. But all that's just about convenience. I don't think I'd go for a IoT door lock or cameras. Too hackable.

Attached: v_8A0A9690.0.jpg (1200x800, 106K)

do you also enjoy watching your wife getting fucked by strangers, user?

Attached: images(28).jpg (640x392, 18K)

>wife
lol
But I mean yeah, my gf and me are in open relationships so whatever

How does that work with light? Can i just shout "Aziz! Light!" and it turns on for me? How expensive are these gadgets? Well, i would only buy ones made in germany though. Can't trust all that american shit nowadays.

the only time I could say for certain that IoT technology made my life easier was when I walked past the couch my roommate was playing battlefield 1 on and randomly said 'xbox go home' and it closed out of his game

You just need a half decent phone that has Siri/Hey Google/Alexa/whatever, the Hue lights' app works with most of them. You name them whatever and just say 'Hey Siri, turn on the TV light' or 'turn on the lounge fan'. It's pretty easy and I don't care if some script kiddy hacker wants to mess with my low voltage lights.

That was a fun time to be alive.
youtube.com/watch?v=oCB1ac4jIrE

Was? I'm celebrating 5 years with my Day One Xbone today, mandatory Kinect and all :^)

Oh god, they haven't fixed that? I used to to do that to my best friend all the time, I just haven't been round his house in years.

This is so cringey, fuck gaymers seriously.

No it's no longer mandatory, not after all of the backlash about it

What backlash?

>tfw M$ wanted to watch your every move so bad they tied their consoles functionality to having a camera on you at all times.
google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2013/jun/19/xbox-one-drm-second-hand-restrictions-abandoned
m.ign.com/articles/2013/08/12/xbox-one-no-longer-requires-kinect-to-function

You have a fridge in your car?

To store beer of course

IoT is a dumpster fire, with the possible exception of IIoT (as long as it's actually secured)

>What are your thoughts on paying to have an additional surveillance device in your home?

They already have my smart phone they can use, isn't that enough?

What's IIoT?

IIoT is the Industrial Internet of Things. It is the application of IoT to the manufacturing industry, and it is revolutionizing industrial automation.

I actually used to work at a place that did IOT shit. The thing I was working on before I left was some shitty baby monitor.
I can assure you, it was just as much of a dumpster fire as you thought it'd be. Fucking massive security issues and the thing was ridiculously prone to crashing.

As I have stated. Megaman Battle network was a warning about how the IoT faggotry would mean the end for everyone

What was the IoT application of the baby monitor? Phone app? Also what kept going wrong with the project?

Yes, there was a phone app, which we didn't actually develop.
>Also what kept going wrong with the project?
Horrible technical and non-technical leadership. Poor planning. Incompetent developers, etc.

>there are people who not only don't care about their own privacy, their children have had their privacy compromised to the botnet from day 1