Pixel art image restorer

I'm working on this algorithm to restore pixel art images. Since it does not work on 100% of the cases I wonder if Jow Forums wants to tell me how shitty it is.

github.com/victorqribeiro/pixelRestorer

Attached: comparison.png (600x488, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kronbits.itch.io/pixatool
lospec.com/pixel-editor/
piskelapp.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nice work, user
I'm not knowledgeable in image processing but it looks nice and the effort is appreciated
keep it up

Attached: 9e6367b2acd245d2c508f1cefc1c6fa3.png (2560x1440, 2.37M)

I don't know. I would like to see how it does with bigger and more complex pictures because when you have something simple like that you'd be better off if you would just redraw it manually.

It's a work in progress, but if you read the README there's a lighthouse image as comparison; those artifacts that happens due to compression are a pain to create regions - like with the paint bucket.

>Javascript
Come back when you can code your algorithm in C or C++ faggot.

Your program should try to guess the number of different colors on the image so that two pixels that are supposed to be the same won't end up being different due to jpg artifacts (you can see this happening with the lit square on your pic). Also, the user should be able to set the number of colors or enter a list of colors manually in case your algorithm fucks up.
Computerphile has a video on this iirc, that would probably be a good starting point.
p.s. fix your spelling, it's artifact, not artefact.

Use a better example the dark colors are hard to see.
Try and minimize total color usage across image, you're using extra shades that are very close.

this is easy as fuck, you're talking about restoring them to remove compression artefacts, right?

Yes, there's a function that does that commented out on the code.

It's not the language is the algorithm. I made it in JavaScript to post online to share with people. You were able to see it running without have to do a thing, besides going to the link.

Right now I'm not reducing colors. There's a function that does that in the code, but it's commented.

To be honest I'm tired of being nice. I could write this in the GPU but then stupid people as yourself wouldn't know how to compile it.

But why?

I was going to make a color cicle animation with a pixel art image I got online. When I inspected it close I saw the artifacts; then I thought to create something to address that.

I don't really have anything to test this on.

But your README could use a slightly better explanation what that does. Also maybe some hints about what file formats are supported/suggested for input/output.

wow this is really slow
I'd rather do a reverse image search

That I can comment on:
Reverse image searches suck at locating the cleanest source.

Actually AFAIK there is no real method to do this; finding "clean" / original sources is a rather big problem.

or you find out that you are trying to restore a non-pixelart

Attached: pixel-art-template-mario-nothing-like-a-good-illustration-kart.jpg (1000x1000, 41K)

Nice
Keep it up

kronbits.itch.io/pixatool
rather than restoring, converting to pixel art makes more sense

you mean, reduce it to it's real pixel size? I already have the math to do that on the code, it's a matter of calling the function.

I'll look in to it later.

Hey thanks. I had a few ideas a while back for this kind of thing but never got around to it.

That's fucking great. Godspeed. It could effectively be a PNG->jpeg->PNG image cleaner. Unfucking vector arts that were wrecked by being foolishly saved as JPEG possibly due to social media upload.

yes, it would be cool

How do i into pixel art?

1) Open MSPaint
2) Select Pencil Tool
3) Zoom in to 4x or 8x depending on if you're going for 16-bit or 8-bit aesthetic

Congrats, you're pixel art-ing.

I mean you might as well pick something that has actual layers and the ability to overlay sketchs over what you're pixelling, but the entire point of pixel art is that it doesn't require special tools, just an eye for precision.

Oh, man, I tried this and my information is WAY out of date. I haven't pixel art-ed since 2004, I guess. What you REALLY want to do is zoom into 8x or 16x depending on aesthetic.

lospec.com/pixel-editor/
piskelapp.com/