Best living programmer thread? Best living programmer thread

Best living programmer thread? Best living programmer thread.

Attached: john-carmack-featured-1024x683.jpg (1024x683, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kernel.org/doc/html/v4.10/process/coding-style.html
youtu.be/VW6tgBcN_fA
dtrace.org/blogs/bmc/2018/09/18/falling-in-love-with-rust/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

gaymers rise up

Me myself.

oh, sorry.. didn't see the "living"

Attached: 220px-Terry_Davis_2017.jpg (220x202, 16K)

rms

Attached: rmssexy.jpg (1920x2560, 1.16M)

I don't have a picture of me right now

What's the deal with him using his laptop in weird places

Why would you make a thread and immediately kill it?
Since got (((suicided))) there's no one better
RMS has done great things for the free software movement but he's a shit programmer
Seriously read some of the GNU code, looks like complete shit

RMS is shit

Yes, boys?

Attached: 1539442984259.png (1668x920, 1.64M)

Probably Carmack because he's continued to innovate throughout his whole career as an actual programmer. People like Linus and RMS eventually moved on to more management like roles.

Carmack is an e-celeb. Terry barely qualifies as an intermediate level programmer.
There are far better programmers alive, you just don't know them.

Attached: Robert-Sedgewick.png (340x341, 120K)

*Blocks your path and smiles at you with his chad posture overpowering your senses*

Attached: 3904705823.jpg (980x525, 100K)

>15 million lines of code kernel
>CoCked
Linus is a nigger and always been

He wrote git. Case closed. He's in a different galaxy as far as programming goes

Linux AND Git. Is he the most influential person in tech?

/thread

From what I've heard, git code quality is actually pretty shit as well. Too lazy to check right now

Too confusing for you*

Git is a train wreck. Its claim to fame is "at least it isn't CVS or SVN".

>a train wreck
>used by everyone and their cat

Attached: What_am_I_reading.jpg (526x300, 59K)

Windows is a train wreck and it's used similarly. Popular does not mean good. Git is useful, but it's only moderately better than the alternatives, and the alternatives are terrible.

Which makes it unequivocally the best

Sure, but if the only trains you have derail all the time, they're still a train wreck. Which is what git is.

Isn't that a download manager? Whenever i see that in instructions I just copy/paste the link in Firefox and use a real download manager to get my files.

>Isn't that a download manager?
kek
get out of Jow Forums

Yikes

best devs in the world are in aerospatial and video games

>kernel.org/doc/html/v4.10/process/coding-style.html
>First off, I’d suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards, and NOT read it. Burn them, it’s a great symbolic gesture.
Fucking kek.
based but bluepilled

Ahaha

Even the function behind her is wrong
How hard would it be to at least make it believable ?

The code doesn't matter. Her social network - contacts at major "news" companies, social media "influencers", rich investors and modern American nobility - is what matters. Everyone involved in this farce will make money no matter how incompetent Kloss is or what they teach their "students".

the absolute state of Jow Forums.

crtl+f Fabrice Bellard

seriously, Jow Forums?

Scott Meyers

Attached: perfect_setup.jpg (1024x724, 164K)

Bram Cohen
Best known for inventing the torrent protocol

based

I wish he wasn't that fat

truth is, we'll never know the name of the REAL best living programmer.

>In 1997, he discovered a new, faster formula to calculate single digits of pi in binary representation, known as Bellard's formula. It is a variant of the Bailey–Borwein–Plouffe formula.

Bellard's entries won the International Obfuscated C Code Contest three times.[2] In 2000, he won in the category "Most Specific Output"[3] for a program that implemented the modular Fast Fourier Transform and used it to compute the then biggest known prime number, 26972593−1.[4] In 2001, he won in the category "Best Abuse of the Rules" for a tiny compiler (the source code being only 3 kB in size) of a strict subset of the C language for i386 Linux. The program itself is written in this language subset, i.e. it is self-hosting. In 2018, he won in the category "Most inflationary"[5] for an image decompression program.[6]

In 2004, he wrote the TinyCC Boot Loader, which can compile and boot a Linux kernel from source in less than 15 seconds.[7] In 2005, he designed a system that could act as an Analog or DVB-T Digital TV transmitter by directly generating a VHF signal from a standard PC and VGA card.[8] In 2011, he created a minimal PC emulator written in pure JavaScript. The emulated hardware consists of a 32-bit x86 compatible CPU, a 8259 Programmable Interrupt Controller, a 8254 Programmable Interrupt Timer, and a 16450 UART.[9]

On 31 December 2009 he claimed the world record for calculations of pi, having calculated it to nearly 2.7 trillion places in 90 days. Slashdot wrote: "While the improvement may seem small, it is an outstanding achievement because only a single desktop PC, costing less than US$3,000, was used—instead of a multi-million dollar supercomputer as in the previous records."[10][11] On 2 August 2010 this record was eclipsed by Shigeru Kondo who computed 5 trillion digits, although this was done using a server-class machine running dual Intel Xeon processors, equipped with 96 GB of RAM.

Damn.

The man is a legit genius

His hobbies are travel and answering a million emails, I think he just misses his emacs.

Attached: serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fwww.joyent.com%2Fcontent%2F10-about%2Fmanagement%2F2-bryan-cantrill%2Fhea (1200x1200, 68K)

and here i am cant understand when to use interfaces in php

(You)

Is the guy that made forth still alive?

>Implying he wasn't in the right place at the right time
All of the BSDs have significantly better written code than Linux.

>>Implying he wasn't in the right place at the right time

carmack was at the right place at the right time
torvalds was at ...
gates was...

of the three, two are GOAT tier, and one sucks. being at the right place does not mean much

Attached: linux.png (381x215, 9K)

I don't think he's personally written much code in decades, so you're probably not seeing his code.

He did a lot of work on lisp machines and emacs back in the day though.

>He did a lot of work on lisp machines and emacs back in the day though.

he also wrote texinfo which every fucking man page directs you to, in hopes that you will stick knives in your eyeballs.

carmack is a full-autismo workaholic and honestly that's most of what gets you into the top tier. He's been working on difficult stuff for decades.

chuck moore? yes.

>that's most of what gets you into the top tier

seriously? so any autistic spergloard can drink diet pepsi and order pizza and come out with DOOM when the rest of the world is selling shit?

k.

Attached: the_face_of_happiness.jpg (708x588, 66K)

Carmack is the only one who is actually skilled. Linus and Bill are both shit.

>check thread
>many posts
>no mention of Donald Knuth

Seriously guys?

Donald Knuth is the greatest living programmer.

I'll agree except that torvalds>>gates

carmack is of course in his own league

too smart for /v/, too cool for Jow Forums. He doesn't belong here.

I cannot believe his wife's daughter forced him the CoC

Based.

youtu.be/VW6tgBcN_fA

>speaks so much truth about the company he's working for that that zucc calls the bogs to remove him from the stage

carmack is based

Attached: 1541617311714.jpg (682x600, 104K)

>ywn be an alpha-autist like Carmack

link hour and half video. don't mention WHERE HE'S BASED.

fail. fucking fail.

You're a fucking retard

>still no proof

from the moment he walks on the stage

Yea? Name one game he made

Attached: big_three_alive.jpg (817x333, 64K)

Go back to you sub IQ gorilla monkey nignog

TeX

Attached: 4818477029_d2502b9a6f_b.jpg (1024x683, 234K)

Donald Knuth

Attached: faggg.jpg (400x400, 17K)

who's this cute trap owo

>no theo de raadt

You might be right if it was authors of best programming books.

He created Linux.

Attached: 1407629273294[1].png (900x900, 281K)

but at what cost?

no, I mean that hard work is 90% of what makes the people who are the best in the world actually the best.

look at olympic athletes, sure they have genetic advantages, but they wouldn't have any of the success without an insane amount of hard work

Terry Davis

Who is the hottest female programmer who is legit and not just an attention whore?

Only /v/irigins think Carmack is some kind of genius.

>living
you did that to exclude terry didn't ya

Daddy jeff has the perfect desk.
Close to the window is always the perfect seat.
Only exception is on long haul night airplane flights

that is free muscle

Attached: THE BADDEST BITCH.jpg (600x618, 88K)

>
What you're referring to as linux is in fact GNU/LINUX or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU + LINUS

No, Linus Sebastian wrote Linux, the kernel. GNU/Linux is the GNU operating system using Linux.

he's more of an educator not an implementer, please post any significant software that he wrote

bryan cantrill now uses rust
dtrace.org/blogs/bmc/2018/09/18/falling-in-love-with-rust/

good for him, i bet he gets a lot of use out of it unlike the javascript babies shitting up the community.

He doesn't make vidya or rant about CIA niggers on twitter, how are we supposed to know about him

Attached: dream_in_code.jpg (1280x720, 167K)

>Carmack is an e-celeb
He's the principle author of Id-tech 5. He's no Linus who barely touches the codebase instead electing to direct the project or RMS that hasn't written anything since the 80s, he was still the primary architect up until he quit at ID.

Two of the best programmers alive.

Attached: Jon_'maddog'_Hall_gives_Theo_de_Raadt_a_set_of_red_plastic_horns.jpg (1024x768, 135K)

>git is only marginally better than svn
Man if must be nice being young because this 30 year old boomer had to actually work with subversion.

He always looks so happy to be using a computer.

mark tarver is a contender imho.
>genius in multiple fields
>develops languages ahead of the curve and drops them like he doesn't care
>redpilled on software licensing
>papers catch up to him and his ideas

git was preceded by sun's NSELite as well.
>no one knows this

Not the best, but very fucking good

Attached: picture.jpg (350x263, 56K)

See filename

I'm going to save this one to use as bait later