Please help, Jow Forums

Please help, Jow Forums.
Lights went out in a pretty ugly way. When they came back, I found myself with pic related.
The system loads, but the home drive is missing. Checking from a livecd, with gparted and fdisk, shows that sd5 is of an unknown filesystem now. I don't remember if it was ext5 or ext4. I wanna say ext4, but I'm not sure. I don't know what sd3 and sd4 were, but I don't really mind. If I can just backup what was in sd5 and format, that's fine by me.

Is there any way to recover the data that was in sd5, or am I fucked?

Attached: how fucked am i.png (778x850, 91K)

>backup up data AFTER disk failure
lmao retard

Fuck
I'm repartitioning right now and I do it quite often

install gentoo and kys

Install arch

The disk didn't fail. The OS partition is still working. What failed was the home partition, as well as others.
The data should be there, and way back in the '90s I remember taking a failed HD to get ghosted or whatever, but I don't know if I can just set a flag or something in order to at least get access to the data so I can make a backup through wifi or burning DVDs or something. That's why I'm asking.

As you might notice from the flags, I actually had installed gentoo. In Calculate form.

And sorry about taking time to reply, but I'm using an outdated palemoon version and posting is fucking hell.

Begin by making a map of how the partitions were before, posting what operations did you try to perform on them, and at what point approximately did the lights go out. Also avoid using the drive as a boot drive, post from your phone or a live CD if you have to.

>Begin by making a map of how the partitions were before
How would I go about that?

>posting what operations did you try to perform on them
Nothing. After noticing only the OS partition had loaded, I ran an old version of puppy linux I had, and ran gparted and fdisk -l, the result of both of which are in OP.

I guess what I'm asking is, what operations could I try to perform on them?

>at what point approximately did the lights go out
Around 12 hours ago.

> Also avoid using the drive as a boot drive, post from your phone or a live CD if you have to.
Yeah, I'm posting from a puppy linux livecd I had customized a year or so ago. That's why I'm having to use an outdated version of palemoon.

>How would I go about that?
from memory, try to guess what partitions did you have installed there. Just swap, root and home?
>I guess what I'm asking is, what operations could I try to perform on them?
So the system was just sitting there idle when the lights went out? Copying files? Browsing the web? If so this just doesn't make sense, ext4 has journaling so that the filesystem remains in a consistent state when it has a hard power off
My advice is to get another drive with similar or bigger capacity, image the drive onto a file on the new drive, and then try to use filesystem repair tools on it

Windows doesn't have this problem.

>from memory, try to guess what partitions did you have installed there
The ones listed in OP look correct. Just the default Calculate partitions. Swap, root and home, yeah.

>So the system was just sitting there idle when the lights went out?
Nope. It most likely was uploading files (qbittorrent open with 20+ torrents in the seed queue). Maybe I was also downloading, I don't quite remember. I had gone to the kitchen to make some food.

>My advice is to get another drive with similar or bigger capacity, image the drive onto a file on the new drive, and then try to use filesystem repair tools on it
Thanks. But do you recommend any tools to use on it without having to image it into another drive?

Again, I had this problem with Windows in the '90s, and got the stuff ghosted. But I was wondering if there was a way to maybe set up a flag so the partition is recognized as ext4/5 manually.

>I actually had installed gentoo
kek'd and czech'd

Attached: 13817843.jpg (500x364, 22K)

Update:
I'm running testdisk. Hopefully it'll help.
Closing everything because hopefully that'll help with performance. See you again in about 20k cylinders.

>do you recommend any tools to use on it without having to image it into another drive
No, that's the point. You backup its current state so you can go back if whatever you try actually makes it worse. Especially given that there seems to be some hardware level failure because otherwise the partition types just disappearing like that makes no sense. Once you do that try ext4.fschk.
But yeah, just get a new drive, shouldn't cost more than 30 bucks for that capacity. And it you end up not needing it at least you got somewhere to make backups so you don't have to go through this bullshit again.

Step one is running fsck.ext4. If that doesn't work see if ext4 has a heavier repair tool like xfs has xfs_repair. Also try mounting it read-only.

this is the only good answer

Windows doesn't have this problem

yeah, let's just run shit on a possibly failed drive without making a backup first

I seriously doubt anything has happened to the drive if it's still showing partitions and shit on the drive. Probably all he needs to do is run fsck because the drive wasn't cleanly dismounted.

even then, you never know if "repairing" the filesystem won't involve forgetting half the inodes in the process

Windows definitely does have this problem. There's even an equivalent to fsck called chkdsk on windows.

If you weren't in the process of modifying all that stuff the data should be left alone. This situation is exactly what a journaled filesystem is meant to protect against.

I guess we'll see when OP comes back

that shouldn't happen because of the FS, did you have no serge protection?

>tfw you forgot to buy sage protection

>tfw your father forgot to buy pussy protection

>mfw your mom forgot to buy whore insurance

Attached: 1540741456175.jpg (898x628, 42K)

OP here. Solved it. Thanks.

testdisk didn't work. It actually recognized like 20 partitions.
fsck.ext4 did the trick (I was desperate and went yolo). The disk had like 500 errors. By which I mean, I had to press "y" like 500 times. But I'm now back in Calculate, and everything's working fine. The OS is working as if nothing had happened, with all of my config like it was when the lights went out. Old files are opening fine. Newer files are opening fine.
I'm still backing this shit up and reformatting as soon as I can though.

Thanks. You guys saved my ass.

Oh, and the journal was also fucked, but it was the first thing it repaired.

Good to know OP. Backup that shit and keep an eye out for IO errors from the kernel in the text console or dmesg, just in case

what did he mean by this

>and reformatting as soon as I can though.
retard

Reformatting is probably unnecessary but definitely keep regular backups of everything you care about.

Thanks user. dmesg looking nominal here, but I'll be checking periodically.

Oh. Cool. Just backing up then.
Thanks for the help.