/ag/ Audio General

Discuss speakers of various kinds.

Toroidal transformer meme edition

Attached: 3B3E4C70E9DE42238F86E5663A7B5DD9_120752.jpg (6904x3712, 3.88M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Amplifier-Bluetooth-Subwoofer/dp/B071JN7GXN/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543549286&sr=1-3&keywords=smsl amplifier
nuke.nonsoloaudiofili.com/DynavoiceDefinitionDF8/tabid/275/Default.aspx
dynavoice.se/en/artiklar/definition-df-8.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

literally nothing wrong with toroidal transformers

fuck you

good goy

provide 1 (one) reason they're bad

PREVIOUS THREAD

provide 12 reasons they're good

>make claim they're a meme
>can't back it up
based

they look cool
maki

Attached: jbl-northridge-e50-19434.jpg (950x631, 62K)

Has M-Audio fixed the heat issues in their monitors yet?

I'm the OP and ironicaly they are better but useless in amps/audio world

Attached: 3690581438001_5259926079001_image-1482524833403.jpg (2048x1536, 458K)

rate

Attached: 1523888066999.jpg (800x500, 31K)

>be harman
>re-release the speaker that made you who you are today
>for 4x the price you can actually get the originals for

Currently using a pair of Denon sc-a76 powered by a Sony STRDH520.

The Receiver is great its just hueg. What would you guys recommend for a much smaller replacement?

upgraded drivers/terminals/paying for brand

amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Amplifier-Bluetooth-Subwoofer/dp/B071JN7GXN/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543549286&sr=1-3&keywords=smsl amplifier

So I'm using bookshelf speakers with a stereo receiver with a sub out. If I wanted to add a sub, should I invest in a MiniDSP or something to high pass the main speakers or is the sub out just fine?

why do cerwin vegas get so much shit?

Attached: 799f76566608e61789f74a5a97dd6b43.jpg (1417x1200, 232K)

the sub out will work fine

Attached: 4149jdcSAAL._SY300_.jpg (434x300, 15K)

because they're party speakers

Jow Forums recommendations for good amp for 250 or below + speakers 250 or below.

take into consideration shipping costs too by the way.

Sub would likely have a crossover built in

Has anyone used genelec monitors before? Looking at the 1236a

Attached: serveimage(4).jpg (1142x1400, 155K)

Is it better to lay monitors flat? Got a pair of hs8, gonna buy a stand for them and have at the right distances and all, its just i womder why the hs10 were flat and i only occassionally see the hs on their side?

spend more on powered speakers instead of splitting it with an amp

in case you want to keep it simple, get some powered speakers like said. then if you feel you want to move onto a different system, you can. but if you're satisfied with the monitors you're still safe

Someone tell me JBL LSR305's are overrated and which active speakers to get instead for that price point please.

looks like a boss out of duke nukem

do i pay local repair guy to fix my marantz pm151, or buy onkyo a9010

driving q acoustics 2010i

onkyo

depends. the waveguide is pretty much unique at this pricepoint.

an alternative which sounds a bit more flat but with more natural depth is Mackie mr524

you guys literally have 0 clue about audio and just post graphs that don't convay all info but you convince are definitive benchmarks and buy shit that looks new/expensive/classy

these threads literally make people waste 1000s of dollaroos for 0 performance improvement over 60$ crap.

There's a ton of old teslas available here, are any of then any good?

wat

3 examples

Tesla speakers. Made in ČSSR.

very sensitive to mains dc which cause humming

I’ wandering how they sound with sub

Are sure that you need THAT much of sound pressure? Would not hurt to have some headroom, but still. Where do you plan to use them?

don't have a sub yet, can't tell you

>mains
>dc

How much does sticking speakers on your desk affect the sound? I overheard something about low frequency distortion at work today.

Don't tell me you haven't done tests yourself? Jesus what a dumbass. Even if you're too poor to buy proper testing equipment, you can still rent it.

How to connect 2 Studio Monitors to a PC?
Via Cable i am getting buzz Noises. Mobile is no Issue though. Via a Audio Interface?

google - toroidal transformer humming mains dc-offset

Buzz Noise just starts... when the PC activates some more Power / USB Ports... in Bios everything is good...

you will need device called
Asus xonar essence One

what makes ls50w specially interesting is they are Roon certified

>dc offset filter

no all he needs is a SMSL SU-8 with xlr

redpill me on power conditioners. i'm looking at getting one so I don't have to use a cheap multi outlet cord

Audiophool lifestyle garbage

Attached: 8030A-LS50.png (1200x1110, 246K)

What have you done to me. The foam have improved these speakers bigly.

Attached: download_20181130_231449.jpg (2048x1536, 287K)

>The foam have improved these speakers bigly.
LOL another one

ok retard

we already know you are retard by looking at the photo, no need to tell us

Do you guys like yamaha receivers? I bought a referbished one for cheap 2 years ago and i think it works okay

upvoted

People can make fun of you for your anti-pussy foam as much as they want, but I'm sure it offers some absorption in ultra high frequencies plus it looks like it offers some diffusion. The corner trap probably can absorb a bit deeper. Keep it setup how you think it sounds best.

I used to have a Yamaha, it worked well.

pls resband

Can someone suggest an amp/audio interface for the RE20 Microphone?

Im never going to use them at 130db, i know theyre capable of bs levels but i figure when you have no real budget why not go for the best reference speakers money can buy. The cost is also in the fact that you have to essentially build a room around them

I thought the whole point of foam in the corners is as a bass trap. That doesnt look like its going to be doing much

Can you recommend a pair of powered monitors for less than 200€, that are not garbage? I am going to use them in a desk and in a small room from time to time.

Those cheap ass foam panels barely do anything except dim the highs and absolutely nothing for bass on any level. You need very dense and thick fiberglass/rockwool

why do they exist then? even my high school music rooms had them. what specific products would you reccomend for corner traps them?

>offers some absorption in ultra high frequencies
not him but would this mitigate coilwhine from a computer PSU? I can hear that shit even when the computer is off, only switching the PSU or the wall off causes it to trail up then off and stop

yes but youd need to enclose it

That's probably a ground loop hum of sorts. I get this same type of thing when the main lights are on instead of the lamp

No idea why they exist other than because people will buy them anyway. If you want to do it right find a home improvement store and buy some 2-4" Rockwool/Roxul/dense fiberglass. Take a tape measure and measure about 6-9 inches out from the corner (45 degree angle, not along the wall) and start cutting and stacking the rockwool into shape. Wrap and glue with fabric when you reach the ceiling. Or there is tube ones but I've never messed with those myself but they should be mostly the same

>ground loop hum
can I feasibly fix this?

Depends if that's what it is first, and second what causes it. In my case I can't do squat other than keep using the lamp. Start with the PC on and everything else off. If it still makes the sound turn off other things until it hopefully goes away. If it's lights or something in another room then options are limited

>Start with the PC on and everything else off
I can turn everything else off via the wall switch and it will still hum, guess I;m fucked

its a tricky thing. the easiest way is those ground loop lifters but theyre dangerous because they lift the ground completely.

hum destroyers sort of work but honestly not very well. audio interfaces works better.

i use audio interface but still i get a bit of hum, i think from the power lines. power filterings did not work with the cheap ones. i havent used ups to test though

Bump

electrical devices in your home generate a lot of noise into mains grid (led bulbs, switching psu's etc...).
power conditioners duty is to filter out that noise as much as possible, and provide lightning strike (over voltage) protection for devices connected to it.

Attached: shunyata-denali-6000s-guts.jpg (2400x1600, 2.1M)

Fuck led bulbs honestly. They are still not there. Incandescent all the way.

not him but if i can't be solved through normal means such as filters, would it be the best cause for a call to an electrician at that point?

Electricians are dumb asses. Theyre not going to be able to fix it.

some of them are "modular type".
distribution box upgradeable with different external filters.

Attached: audioplan-powerstar-powerfilter.jpg (927x805, 675K)

So if you kick that thing hard enough will those not isolated copper wires short and (if your protection won't work in time) burn your house/some part of wiring inside?

the lsx is different from the ls50 though

They won't be better

but user, kef is the best speaker brand ever

And Beats is the best headphone brand ever

Attached: FQhOHQoczdY[1].jpg (200x200, 12K)

there is no good audio brand though in existence that doesn't blatantly wants to rip you off

Hey capacitive coupling is basically the same as sticking a brick-wall sinc low pass filter with a cut off at DC in the signal path.

got monitor audio BX2 for like 3 years
I like them but they are my first speakers that did not cost $30

shortcomings I can think of
- I feel they are bit fatiguing, I have them fairly close and they are fairly large
- in two songs I noticed bit resonationion at some very low frequencies, two songs are nothing out of 1000 but it does make you feel bit unhappy, though I heard that higher the speakers go, the less sons you enjoy as you hear more imperfections, but I dont think I am anywhere there

Recently I see Jamo S803 being raved about, how awesome they are. I can buy them for 250€
Should I buy them and either return if they are worse, or sell used monitor audio if they are worse?

The thing is that jamos woofer is 5” while monitor audios are 6.5"
and jamos are even bigger lol, I have these at desk like 80cm/2.5' from my head, just beyond fingertips when I outstretch my arm...

I am powering with a small smsl sa50 now.
Should I even be looking at different speakers, maybe better amp or subwoofer should be first.
But with subs its always the size and reputation and price and value I feel like I am not getting.

Attached: S-803-11.jpg (2000x2000, 907K)

>good audio brand
>KEF
Please stop

>Should I buy them and either return if they are worse, or sell used monitor audio if they are worse?

sure why not

>The thing is that jamos woofer is 5” while monitor audios are 6.5"

doesn't matter that much. the tuning can be vastly different or in other words, bass response could be about as equal but that doesn't matter that much. as long as they sound authoritive (big)

amp is fine. a sub is not usefull if you feel like you don't have enough bass. it's better to have an optimised listening scenario if it was about price. like if you only listen nearfield, get speakers that are optimised for nearfield and place them optimally. bookshelf speakers are not considered for nearfield purposes thus causing problems in nearfield sometimes. if you want to consider a sub, consider atleast $400 for a reasonably good sub.

I'm going to buy these speakers soon.
Dynavoice Definition df-8, 740€ the pair, it's a killing price.
Like Indiana Line, these are almost unknown in outside italy-europe, so the only reviews available are in Italian, but the graphs are not language-dependent nuke.nonsoloaudiofili.com/DynavoiceDefinitionDF8/tabid/275/Default.aspx
Product page: dynavoice.se/en/artiklar/definition-df-8.html

Their frequency response is 23-32.000hz, and since I have many 88.2/24, 96/24 albums to listen to, I'd like a receiver that can reach those frequencies, and, considering that they can handle 200w RMS (280 peak) at 6ohm, an AVR strong enough to power them.
So I started looking for at least 150w RMS 6ohm @channel, and I found that the Denon x1400h can handle 145w per channel, but can pump only 430w in total, and I'd like to put those speakers in a 5.1 surround, so it seems too low power to me.
What AVR should I be looking into?

Attached: 81k3gOBo5LL._SY741_.jpg (482x741, 28K)

beats is shit, you only think its good because of the marketing

beats' marketing is shit and you only think it's good because you're weak minded

no
they making it for 30 years and oldest units still works perfectly

Beats is not bad as well as KEF, they both make mediocre products and sell it mostly with help of marketing

Most likely those are chink speakers not that I have anything against chink tech.

Whats are opinions on Neuman kh805 vs genelec 7360 (with not neuman or genelec speakers)?

no
this is DC-filter

Attached: DC Blocker.gif (485x420, 8K)