/aocg/ - Advent of Code 2018 General #0

Previous thread (from last year): yuki.la/g/63983855

The time is ticking edition

adventofcode.com/
>Advent of Code is a series of small programming puzzles for a variety of skill levels. They are self-contained and are just as appropriate for an expert who wants to stay sharp as they are for a beginner who is just learning to code. Each puzzle calls upon different skills and has two parts that build on a theme.
You need to register with an account but you can appear as anonymous.

Last year was comfy as fuck. It's less than 24 hours until the first puzzle unlocks, let's get these going.

Attached: e351da609565c7eefa1a0b63c3bd7a9df20018b90103e45a85d7ff210a2037ed.jpg (1920x1080, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tickcounter.com/countdown/855031/advent-of-code-2018-first-day
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Here's last year's calendar.

Attached: advent of code 2017 calendar.png (3282x2475, 3.35M)

Are you training for it? I've been doing the 2015 problems during the week

Why train?
OP claims the puzzles are for a variety of skills.
I haven't wrote any code in like five months and I think I'll try it.

I'm participating for the first time. I'll see how it goes. Good occasion to exercise C, which I rarely use.

Been too busy to train specifically, but normal programming should've kept me fast, at least at writing it. I'm using python for this year, so I'm already getting shafted on speed.

I'm going to be too fucked to compete this year, but I might have fun trying to do it in haskell or something. Will definitely join the threads to meme on the problems

Going just for completion here, doubt I can top the speed needed for the global leaderboard. At least I'm in a private leaderboard this time.

Attached: advent of code 2017 leaderboard completion.png (6250x2000, 1.04M)

The puzzle are easy, but if you're aiming to complete them as fast as possible as soon as they come out, it requires a certain mindset

This year's private leaderboard
368748-e33dcae3

Previous thread this year

Attached: 1537049604023.png (10000x10000, 378K)

>tfw have to wage cuck and can't stay up this year

Attached: 1493227262008.jpg (473x1051, 91K)

What's the limit for how many can join?

I'll kick anyone who hasn't completed any challenge in the past 5 days in this one though.

First time doing this, I'm so excited!
Will be using Nim probably.

Attached: 1543465327348.gif (168x168, 286K)

>same time as the christm/a/s stream

Attached: 1543499259493.png (948x720, 438K)

First time as well.
I thought about doing nim but python-type-indentation put me off.
JavaScript it is

I've been waiting for this! Haven't programmed anything since last years AoC though.

D, nim, crystal, or modern C++? I'd do rust but I find myself fighting the compiler too much for simple things. God forbid I need to use a mutable graph for a problem.

Rules not clear. Do you need to solve them in specific time frame?

Crystal looks fun

No you can solve them whenever you want if you don't care about getting on the global leaderboard.

You can solve them sixteen years later if you want to, the time thing and the leaderboards are just a dick measuring contest. They usually max out within a few minutes from what I remember.

Last time was fun, will try to do it in MATLAB again.

see that december 3 image?
how they try to fit the golden ratio to fucking anything even though it relates to absolutely nothing at all? like, rotating it so a part of the wave matches and call it a day? freaking ignorant who only saw one day that it's a cool thing to do, and repeats it believing he's a super art expert?
yeah, that kind of treatment like it's a super magical shit.
Hokusai clearly didn't give a shit there.
kys

t . Didn't do last year's puzzle and doesn't get the joke.

Who /1LangPerDay/ here?

Attached: 1519028016074.gif (1200x1200, 479K)

>look at last years
>they expect you to authenticate to see the full problem
yeah no, I'll just sit here and play video games thanks.

Fuck me user, same. Im a fucking cs student at uni and i havent coded since april other than little tidbits. This math is killing me, and its not ecen proofs, its fucking stats

Good job batman

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-30-03-44-46-045_com.android.chrome.png (1080x1920, 259K)

Gotta find a job so I will probably pass this year.

I usually don't do these sort of things because I hate the stress of competition and knowing that whatever i come up it will be shit.

Thanks boyy

Doing it in Haskell as usual.
It's always comfy.

That's why it's worth doing, adversity builds character la

*cough*
Stop being opressive.
Sjws and trannies hate adversity. Affirmative action, communism and gibs is all they like.

Who /haskell/ here?

>builds character
Fitting since I've always thought I was lacking.Guess I'll give it shot. Will I still be able to participate if I skip the 7 days? Finals are next week.

>Will I still be able to participate if I skip the 7 days?
Yes of course.
You get points depending on how fast you do the challenge, but there is no maximum time and each day there is a new challenge, so even if you want to hop in after a week or so that isn't a problem.

I'll use HolyC

bless

I'll just lurk the threads and get comfy hanging around with people who are better programmer than I am.

>6am local time
What are these anti-EU times? Don't they fucking know there are times where both eu & burgers are awake?

>mfw the best threads on Jow Forums are back

Attached: network_administrator.jpg (1920x1080, 331K)

I've been practicing little puzzles for the last week, I've used Haskell, Rust, and C++. So I might language hop a bit, not sure. Looking at the puzzles from last year, a lot of them seem to be more easily solved with a pen, paper, and a calculator.

6AM isn't that early. Set up an alarm.

Fuck yeah, can't wait for the images for the Jow Forums AoC calendar, last year was EBIN :DDD

I hope /ourguy/ #193354 joins this year's event

Guess I'll participate this year, been avoiding it for years because I pretended not to be technical anymore.

That's the perfect time user, just get to bed an hour or two earlier. I'm usually up at 5am every day so I'm trying to figure out how to make the midnight puzzle work; I'm seriously considering splitting my sleeping schedule into two chunks and waking up for an hour at midnight.

i had forgotten how good it feels lads

Attached: file.png (840x48, 12K)

I was thinking of trying another language this year, but I'll stick with perl because it's so comfy

>he isn't in the Jow Forums leaderboard this time

Attached: 1451183166954.jpg (441x385, 49K)

nufag here. how many people on Jow Forums did it last year? thinking of joining just to beat everyone desu

Over 150 participated in total, 50 or so completed all the challenges.

>tfw brainlet couldn't get through the first one by myself
topkek

what do you mean it hasnt even started yet..

last year's, my friend

maybe he is talking about last year.

Holy shit how?
Damn, these should be captchas for this board.

i don't have an account on social media so i guess i can't play

oh, r*ddit doesn't need an email address, nevermind
anonymous user #383838 reporting in

nice get

PEN-N-PAPER

How many days until the first brainlet filter?

Attached: 152145.png (335x337, 151K)

approx 0.6

Did this (day 3) trip people up last year?

I don't get why this fucked up so many people. I literally did the first star on paper because it was faster. Did have to code part 2 though, just accidentally introducing technical debt into my coding challenges.

>i solved it the braintlet way

It's okay to give up. Not everyone has what it takes to be a programmer.

I did it a couple of days ago, neat problem. I was quite lucky though because my first solution only needed minor modifications for the second.

>still have the AOC 2017 day 3 tab open in my browser

Attached: 1543554830077.jpg (1280x720, 141K)

kek

I got ill near the end last year so missed days 20-22 and only did them in August.

Day 8
the first week you gotta build up the hype

>tfw went from being in top 20 in 2015 to top 100 in 2016 to hundreds in 2017
i can only imagine how much worse it will be this time around

6AM is the perfect time for this desu
Later would be to late; you couldn't solve the puzzle before going to work/uni
Earlier would be too soon

Italy here
It's unsurprisingly the best time they could have given us

>Why do the puzzles unlock at midnight EST/UTC-5? Because that's when I can consistently be available to make sure everything is working. I also have a family, a day job, and even need sleep occasionally. If you can't participate at midnight, that's not a problem; many people use private leaderboards to compete with people in their area.

Is #193354 still around?

you can make a reddit account without giving them an email.

Best brothels in Germany.

Anyone wanna give the time in non-burger terms? What is "eastern" supposed to mean?

UTC-5 when there's no daylight savings time

6AM in France, Germany and Italy, if that helps

Thanks. So about 11 hours and 40 mins.

good times

will be participating again this year

tickcounter.com/countdown/855031/advent-of-code-2018-first-day

If you go to the website while logged in it will tell you exactly how many hours, minutes and seconds to when the first problem unlocks.

Glad to have the best part of the year back.

What lang should I choose between (Planning on just using this to learn the ins/outs of a new lang):
C++, D, or Ruby?

Any way I can give myself a custom name? One option is to make a reddit account (and hope the username I want is available)

There's already a countdown on the site.

If you got first place sitewide, would you remain anonymous?

Yes

So can I claim to be in the lead while doing nothing?

First time doing this.
How hard do the puzzles tend to be? Does it just want a textual answer?(so we can use any language)

Nobody will believe you if you can't prove it.

Puzzles are quite easy but slightly ramp up in difficulty. And there's a few difficulty spikes on the way. Yeah, you're given an input and the answer is usually a number or short string.

Attached: 1536064810667.png (9216x6912, 3.18M)

>Any language?
Yes. In some cases, though, not having to reinvent the wheel tends to be faster (which is why many people choose Python and the like). I did some of the challenges in C and didn't have too much trouble

>How hard
Eh... It varies. Starts off easy and gets progressively harder.

First time here as well, probably gonna be doing it in c++. Not the fastest language but feel most comfortable with it desu

Attached: 1543441658368.png (787x830, 733K)

>>Advent of Code is a series of small >programming puzzles
C or JAVA?

Any language you want