What is it like working at a start up?

Are they worth working at or should they be avoided?

Attached: 20181130_004629.jpg (1080x1197, 473K)

Imagine working at McDonalds for $2 an hour.

>starbucks
>skinny as shit
>almost certainly poz
>lesbian hair
>no shoes
>huge ugly backpack
I guarantee they're all bankrupt

>keep minifridge full of onions next to desk
>drink onions from straw while actively coding cause no time for meals
>piss into jug cause time is too valuable for bathroom breaks
>do this 18 hours a day
>hope you get bought by Facebook/Google/Apple

Attached: facebook office.jpg (2048x1537, 948K)

Attached: Screenshot_20181130_015307.png (440x578, 217K)

I show up to work everyday at 8:00 AM and usually don't leave until 7:00 PM. Everyday at noon when the CEO finally strolls in after a night spending our seed money on hookers and blow I'm assured the company will take off after the next round of funding and they will finally be able to stop paying me in their worthless cryptocurrency that no one's even heard of.

Guaranteed this guy drinks soi by the gallon

Why do most of them seem to obsess about bugmen stuff and having bean bags and ping pong tables in the work place.

>What is it like working at a start up?
massively lower pay, more work, more hours, less job security, no room for career growth

Attached: 1515693299903.png (663x762, 231K)

They need actual employees to scrape money off retarded venture capitalists, and real engineers won't fucking touch it since they have no actual plan. So they use that shit to draw in literal sõyboys who are so malnourished and pumped up on "science and computers fuck yeah!" they don't even realize that their job is bullshit and they themselves are completely incompetent.

>This guy is launching 12 STARTUPS in 12 MONTHS and basically YOU'RE FUCKING STUPID
>CLICK Here to find out

>grow 12 inches in 12 weeks with one weird trick!

>huge ugly backpack
Huh?

Im still in uni but i really hope i dont have to work at some numale-in-a-box

Can't go bankrupt if there is no money movement in the first place

startups are the new way to smash and grab millions for the young.

Good idea because the boomers worry their investment stream in the traditional companies will go to zero, eg kodak, GE, GM etc etc, so they need to put 5~10% into startups

"foreigners can't squat"
-- everyone, china

Because mentally, they are children. That is all.

Supposedly 2 of his startups make him at least $50K a year, though I don't think they were included in the 12. And according to several articles, the purpose of the startups were more or less a way for him to experiment, with the notable exception of a single page app he made called "Go Fucking Do It" or something. An app where you enter a thing you want to do, a date to complete it by, and a dollar amount, and if the task isn't completed by that day, then it'll automatically pay HIM that amount. Apparently has attracted investor interest.

Sorry, big mistake there. He makes at least $50K a MONTH, not a year.

>An app where you enter a thing you want to do, a date to complete it by, and a dollar amount, and if the task isn't completed by that day, then it'll automatically pay HIM that amount.
Just launch the nukes already Kim.

This. Don't accept stock options, only take a high salary.

But who checks if the task was completed?

They should be avoided but sometimes working for one is necessary to get your foot in the door of an industry. A common career path is to work startups for a few years then get hired by a big well paying company (it's what I did).

> Low pay. Long hours.
> The stocks they give you are worthless 90% of the time
> They like to make you sign a contract that says you're "self-employed" so no vacation pay, sick days, severance pay, benefits etc.
> No job security. The company can disappear overnight because of a failed kickstarter or an investor pulled out.
>The manager/owner is usually just some asshole who had enough money to launch a startup not somebody who knows anything about managing employees or running a business.

>launching 12 startups in 12 months
that's how you detect the greedy mediocrity, 20 years ago they called themselves wall street traders, today they are """entrepreneurs"""

Depends on where you live, I work for a startup in the UK and I've had a great experience, unfortunately you have more visibility of people at C-level and generally they are terrible people.

YA FEEL ME?

Attached: Ron.png (960x594, 664K)

One guy tried to hire me for his startup as "CTO", lol.
I declined.
Even now after years their website is non functional, all they do is go to conferences and most of the work is done by Indian freelancers. In their case it was even worse than a normal startup, it was a crypto startup.

Most startups are founded by psycho entrepreneurs (like the one in the OP) who want to become the next Jobs or Elon Musk. They don't actually care about growing a stable company, they just want to sell their startups as soon as possible to Google or any other big tech company.

>glance at text and posters on boards
>black lives matter immediately jumps out

Yet no black people to be seen.

the alt righter

didn't you notice the faggotry flags right in the middle?

Attached: 317F40CF-AE80-412A-A934-C48E6EC3B4CF.png (395x429, 347K)

It allows you to enter a Supervisor email address which manually checks the task. So it's like streamlined findom, except you give your money to this guy.

> findom
Exactly what I was thinking.

That guy is failboat

that's what a manic episode looks like

They're bullshit

If it's an established startup, the salary outside retarded places like sv will be comparable to that of the local branch of $BIG_COMPANY. While the startup has a chance to go under, it's usually very small at this point in its life. You will have enormous opportunity for mobility - you could be a janitor and upgrade to a software engineer under the right circumstances, and you can actually be promoted without being part of the sales team, which is impossible at $BIG_COMPANY. On the other hand, if you are really bad at your job, you could get fired, which doesn't happen at $BIG_COMPANY. There's also usually a lot less office politics going on.
Overall, the environment is significantly more friendly and meaningful than at $BIG_COMPANY and I'll definitely move on to another startup once I'm done with my PhD. On the other hand, I'll never again work for $BIG_COMPANY, this was hell on earth.

that fucking onions face is too perfect to be real

Weird, I remember this guy on /v/ but the headline is that he was making 100 games in a year

Not all are like this, but here is what I've seen:
Extremely lean and experimental, which means they can maneuver quickly and suddenly based on whoever is piloting. This is not as good as it sounds.
Shit pay, high hours, promises of making it big.
Lack of HR and the like gives the chance of favoritism.

Ask as many questions as you can think of to whoever is in charge. If you aren't hooked by the dream and the projects, don't do it. If the company seems a bit sketchy, refuse the position. If they have a bunch of meme perks but are lean on standard benefits, exercise caution. Some of these are standard procedure for any job, but a lack of dilligence in any area will bite you in the ass. Do not treat it like working at a standard company. You have been warned.

With HR, favoritism is guaranteed. Without HR, it's a much fairer playing ground.

On a scale of 1 to 4, how accurate is this

Attached: BytuapVCMAI1aXM.jpg (600x337, 29K)

Generally very accurate.

It depends entirely on who owns the company.

Not entirely. When HR is involved, women and minorities can lie out their asses to get literally anyone they don't like fired, even founders and C execs. Men, on the other hand, can't do shit even if they're being mistreated. Moreover, women and minorities will always be passed up first for promotion before anyone else is considered at all.
Without HR the bossman chooses his friends above all else, but it means anyone can attempt to become bossman's friend.

what is it like to have friends?

Because these are the job benefits that replaced pensions, medical plans and paid vacations in the gig economy.

I think software has given startups a bad name. My sister works as a lab tech at a startup that does genome splicing. It sounds very exciting because investors will dump huge money on them, and the effects are seen immediately. She makes ~$50k (no college degree) with health benefits, and the work sounds meaningful because everyone helps each other and really has to pitch in rather than just being assigned a single task and that's your sole job responsibility. And a lot of the people she works with are hold phds.
Might just be due to her management, though, that she's having such a positive experience.

Paid vacations are mandatory as decided by the country. So are medical plans, but medical plans aren't forced to be particularly good. However, since healthcare the world over is a joke nowadays, most people don't care much for health plans. As for pension, that has never been offered by any company not government-associated, historically.

Offered a position at a startup as Chief Security Officer, asked the guy after his hour long pitch how he planned to monetize his service ("mainly through traditional means, running ads on the website and things like that") told him to fuck off right then and there.

Don't trust anyone running a startup.

You sound like a huge jerk.

>t. Startup (((CEO)))

>asked the guy after his hour long pitch how he planned to monetize his service
Correct move
>told him to fuck off right then and there.
Also correct move.
>Don't trust anyone running a startup.
That wasn't a startup, that was a joke trying to become a startup. Stop being retarded.

That poor squat ankle mobility

>Black Lives Matter
>it's all white and Asian people

>recycle bin
>not a trash can to be found
nobody in this office actually uses them for recycling

> As for pension, that has never been offered by any company not government-associated, historically.
i work for a bank, i'm pension eligible after 10 years
my dad had a pension from sears when he retired
my mom has a pension from her hospital
today they're a lot less common, but they still exist outside the govt

>Black lives matter
What kind of cuckold would work here. Asians should be embarrassed of themselves

I don't think you understand my point. How do you make people still give a shit about their jobs when you keep making them worse for your own bottom line? That's how they came up with all that bullshit about ping pong tables and bean bag chairs

Attached: C5dHsfwVMAEqqnj.jpg (768x429, 48K)

I tried to do the walking barefoot everywhere meme. I have athletes foot or ring worm on my big toe. I haven't been able to get rid of it since March.
Any technology out there to finally get rid of this disgusting thing?

Banks are government-associated. Sometimes they're even government-owned.
Same for most hospitals.
Now sears, that's really surprising on the other hand.

Eat lots of apples and douse it in lemon juice and tea tree oil.

>government owned
I think we know who owns the (((banks)))

why don't you just go to the doctor dude thats fucking disgusting.

Antibiotics

Never heard of doing this but I'll give anything a shot. Thanks!

Poor unifag. That may be out of my budget. But I agree. I want to cut it off sometimes

>h..hey guys, let me take off my shoes to make this photo more powerful. That even a faggot without shoes can make money!
>There's nothing impossible! Just bee yourself!
this faggot can't even squat like a true slav

doesn't your uni have a clinic? mine does and its just 6 dollars for a visit. I got ring worm when i wrestled in HS and all i need was to put some ointment on it for a bit till it went away.

I work as an intern at a """"""""startup""""""""" (theyve been a startup for about a decade and a half now) and I'm the only person theyve had in an IT position. They have a bunch of developers for their web products, but they have more products than devs so they have no fucking time to deal with internal support. So I'm basically the band-aid to their broken IT arm despite them being a tech company. Its a fucking nightmare. I dont know if this is the norm for startups, but if it is it will be hell for anyone sorry enough to work for them.

So to answer the question, avoid at all costs.

spending some cash is better than dying mate
ask a friend or two for a loan

where does it say that? I doubt the employees even notice

that sounds like the consensus in this thread aside from sister

I'm in good ol' murica, where banks are "regulated" (but tons of unethical and illegal shit still happens).
The hospital my mom was at is part of a privately-owned hospital network. The only reason she has a pension was because she worked there before it got bought out and that benefit got cut for new hires.
Sears has had pensions for a long time, though they're basically worth nothing at this point.

i remember working at a startup doing IT
>no asset management of any kind
>had to argue with owner to get money for new servers
>devs demanded root access in prod since they couldnt be arsed to use proper permissions and fix their scripts, owner saw nothing wrong with this
>usually had to go fix shit at midnight at least once a week
>no AD or GPO on windows machines, had to constantly reinstall windows when windows users inevitably got viruses
>owner embraced BYOD but never gave me funds to ensure our data wouldnt walk off
never again

The funniest thing is that him and the Asian above him are the only ones with actual work on their screen;

>go to interview at startup
>there are 8 other guys there, all interviewing for same position
>owner shows up 20 minutes late
>has us circle around him, he fires off questions
>most seemingly have no relevance or depend on specific language questions
>when it was me and 1 other guy, he wanted us to argue over who was more qualified
>decided this wasnt worth it and left
thank god i abandoned that crapshoot, they went under less than a year later

>The manager/owner is usually just some asshole who had enough money to launch a startup not somebody who knows anything about managing employees or running a business.

This one hits too close to home. Was working at a startup building some new algo trading software for financial markets. The product itself was fucking SOLID, but the guy running the show had no fucking clue how to run a business and we wound up running out of money because it was being allocated improperly.

wtf lol that sounds like some dumb ice breakers you do on the first day of class.

Because they don't want you ever leaving. They want you to work and LIVE in your office, go to the gym in your office, eat at your office, play ping pong and video games at your office, etc.

That sounds fucking awful, honestly.

Attached: 1541262979430.jpg (665x706, 277K)

Exactly. For those thinking about working for a startup, the absolutely most important thing in the world are the people running the company.

If they're incompetent or dishonest, that's a huge red flag and you shouldn't work for them. If they're highly competent but highly dishonest, you have to consider very carefully if you're clever enough to navigate the minefield of getting financially shafted. Those skilled enough will likely make a windfall in that kind of scenario. Everybody else will give their blood and sweat and end up with very little.

Remember, you are trading your life for a promise of a lot of money at most startups. You can never get that time or your youth back. Be sure to spend those precious resources wisely and be careful of falling for aggressive or deceptive sales pitches. Make sure you negotiate a reasonably good salary. It should at least be comparable to what a typical salary in a large corporation pays because it's still a bargain for the startup as they'll expect you to work insane hours and potentially wear a lot of hats. On the issue of equity, demand to see the company valuation sheets based on a fully diluted basis.

He had already secured angel investors to start the company. Didn't have a working product yet though. I was guessing he was going to pump and dump as fast as possible

Depends. Most start-up founders are deluded psychos, and basically run an open-field zoo. You'll work endless hours for shit pay, but the experience you'll get will be huge, broad, and you'll be able to tackle pretty much anything coming at you after a while. Don't hope to last longer than a year in there though. Just shit and get out.

Other times the startup is actually the pet project of some R&D dude with a fat rolodex. In that case it'll still be chaos and you'll still have huge opportunities for experience, but you'll also be surrounded with brilliant people and will be well-paid. You'll fucking love it and will cry when you will be sacked next year.

what kind of generic ePiC thread starter shit is this, you made this pointless thread fully knowing that a startup is a risk to work at, it could randomly go under and you be out a job, much greater chance of this happening at a startup then a normal stable job.

based

All of that guy's startups involve buttplugs

>what's it like working at a startup
My first full-time job was a startup that went under a year after I joined
For 4 months I was the only person in charge of the security department
0/10 don't recommend

>Earning more money than you and does stupid shit for fun and profit.
Haters gonna hate.

I run a startup in Australia.

So long as you have a bit of cash to back you, the "grind" is nothing like what they make it out to be.

The hardest part is that there is just thousands of things you don't know, and there is no checklist to follow.

If you have a degree, some spare time, and a little financial stability, I would recommend joining a startup if you have the opportunity. It probably won't be the greatest thing to add to a CV, but the learning experience is great, and if you put in the work, you could definitely make the startup into a success too.

I left a large company to work at a startup. The pay is lower, but the environment is a lot more fun, and I actually care about my colleagues.

It's scary, it's fun, and you don't have to do it forever. It's worth doing at least once while you're still young.

Depends. Is it able to currently make money? If it's profitable from the get go and there's good pay & perks, might not be bad.

Not profitable? Nah.

>obsess about bugmen stuff
Where do I apply to the bugmen home?

>exposed ductwork
whose idea was this?

And everyone else is on Facebook, which happens to be their product.

Attached: 1506228634710.gif (320x320, 240K)

costco?

Sup, Cirno.

Fun

I work for a middle-stage startup (~100 employees) in SF and I love it. AMA