Os on usb flash drive

I need to buy an usb flash drive and I noticed that if I slightly exceed my budget I can buy a flash drive that, according to online tests and reviews, has almost 3x read speed, slightly lower write speed and higher random r/w speed than the hdd of my notebook
would installing os and programs on the flash drive and using the hdd for storage be a bad idea?
pic unrelated

Attached: 1543572489460.png (900x1259, 1.06M)

I wanna stick my face in that

imagine the smell

Braps, probably

Only makes my boner harder!

yes because not all flash drives are meant for longevity and endurance, hope you back up that fucker. be sure you test the USB drive as well just to see if it actually reaches those advertised speeds

that and you're putting the point of failure on the USB port, if this was for a laptop it'd be incredibly stupid because a big enough shock or disconnect means you fucked up your current session and whatever was open, plus USB ports are kinda valuable on laptops especially the ones that only come with like 2 ports, enjoy needing a USB hub with you whenever you want to plug in more than just a few things

plus some USB devices just get hot with sustained usage

it's sorta fine for desktops or where you don't expect any movement around the USB ports, IIRC some linux distros are designed around that and will run off USB drive or SD card just fine, especially for low cost PC

but unless you're getting a huge increase in performance, the downsides don't seem to be worth it

absolutely

Attached: 0d538e46cdc66db88ee4b5d62e9dae2f.png (2113x3000, 3.71M)

2.5" enclosure with usb3 and a proper SSD will be better and more reliable. And it'll be easy to replace a cable, but if you break the plug on a flash drive, you're probably fucked.

Wait this thread was about USB drives? Though it was about anime asses.

Nah replacing the plug on a flash drive isn't hard it just requires knowing how to solder and stuff and having access to equipment.
And you'd need to destroy the casing of the drive usually so the longevity will get hurt unless you 3D print a new one.

Yeah. I'm assuming that if OP had to ask what he asked, this wouldn't be an option for him.

Why not both?

Attached: 13908427834892798.gif (326x466, 1.17M)

Probably even though you don't have to be rich to own or know someone who owns soldering equipment... The 3D printing will probably be problematic but I think there are places now you can pay to have your design printed? At least in the US so technically those can be overcome but he'll still have to ask for help soldering or design/modify a case himself.

depends on the OS. What OS will you be running on it?

The usb flash drives usually aren't build for as many r/w cycles and heavy use anyway, at least not compared to SATA SSD.

Attached: catch.gif (312x224, 302K)

Most of Jow Forums won't help you.
I will.
Ask me anything.

the flash drive in question is a low profile drive and I would never disconnect it from my laptop(it has two other usb ports besides that one, more than enough for me)
my idea was having a bootable partition the same size of the flash drive on my hdd and doing a back up once a month
the only issue is the possibile performance degradation caused by the lack of trim on usb drives, I wonder if limiting the writes would prevent it

the typical erase cycle of flash memory is 10,000 to 100,000 so he could just move everything to another memory block?
Gamer girl piss

If you moved /var, /tmp and /home off of the drive, that would eliminate pretty much all writes and should prevent degradation, yeah. And without /home on the drive, infrequent backups wouldn't be an issue either. Just don't be surprised when real r/w speeds are half of what was promised.

>not using 10 flash drivers in RAID mode as your main driver

Uggo fat legs

Gay faggot get out.

no u ghetto monkey

Attached: sBJG8sT.jpg (1294x478, 69K)

Go masturbate to the sticks on the ground.

*SSSSSSSSSSSSSNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFFF*

Mmmm. Magazine ink. The best smell.

Silly user, anime girls don't smell.

I'm looking for the same but to my router, it has 1xusb3 and 1xusb2.0. I want to put an external hdd on usb 3.0 AND openWRT over usb2.0 drive.
I want that to pimp router functionalities beside dns,dhcp,wan,firewall basics, and messing with router flash nand at some point it could break, so want to try everything over usb device, like filesharing, lamp, adblockers, etc....
Any hints?

Attached: openwrt_574-308.png (574x308, 52K)