Cheap desktop

what's the thinkpad of used desktop PCs?
I've used exclusively a laptop since I went to college, now that I want a cheap desktop I only find dell optiplex and hp elitedesk in the 100-200 price range (probably refurbished office equipment)
do you have one? I know they have a proprietary PSU but I'm not aware of other problems
I know a ryzen 2200g build would be way more powerful and future proof but seems to cost at least twice with the current RAM prices
I've ordered a optiplex 9020 minitower and I'm planning to stick a low profile GPU in it, how fucked I am?

Attached: elitedesk.png (573x430, 81K)

>I've used exclusively a laptop since I went to college, now that I want a cheap desktop I only find dell optiplex and hp elitedesk in the 100-200 price range

so you're an college educated person with $200 budget?
shouldn't you make that in like... 4 hours?

Install arch

that's what i was about to suggest
i'm running one now with a 3570 in it as a media consumption machine. it will actually fit a regular (a smallish one anyway) video card. i've got a 760 in mine.

I'm a dropout and a NEET, still I have enough money to buy a mac pro but why should I?

>it will actually fit a regular (a smallish one anyway)
how about the power supply, did you upgrade it? for smallish I should look for low profile or what? sorry never build anything, I can replace thermal paste but that's it

I'm probably going for KDE after years of unity/gnome (kde on ubuntu was always shit in my experience), does arch still have good builds for it?

yeah, i replaced the PSU with one I had lying around as well, though I probably didn't really need to. By smallish I just mean not one of those extra-long monster GPUs like a 1080 or something with a huge cooler. something average sized like an old r9 280 would be fine

>what's the thinkpad of used desktop PCs?
an used thinkstation

Attached: thinkstation p320.jpg (1060x596, 82K)

do you have one?
is a xeon fast enough in single-core?

I don't remember the model, but I fished a server out of a uni office dumpster. Quad-core 2.4GHz Xeon, with 16GB of, iirc, ECC ram. Literally nothing wrong with it at all. Has at least four hard drive bays, and they even left the caddys.

If one can find the right places, people throw out really good stuff. At my apartments near the uni, someone tossed an i7 3770 with 8GB of ram pre-built. Motherboard was shit on it, but I already had an i5 3570 machine. I even bought a newer motherboard because I had recently switched cases and decided it was time to step up to USB 3.0 and gigabit.

>what's the thinkpad of used desktop PCs?
old servers like pic related

Attached: poweredge r210 i.png (768x239, 44K)

>no sound
>power hungry
>noise
I'm not convinced

>still I have enough money to buy a mac pro but why should I?
I fail to see where exactly did I suggest you to buy a fucking mac pro , but if you have enough money to buy one then why the fuck are you trying to build a $200 misery box?

Attached: 1520161904332.jpg (320x320, 12K)

>implying audiophiles wouldn't jump at you for even suggesting integrated audio cards
Realistically even a $10 USB audio adapter would work fine.

More frustrating is how little room they have, though I've used some that had a right-angle PCIe adapter. Unfortunately it just refused to run multiple PCIe gpus I tried, probably due to asinine locked hardware. That's the worst part of certain workstation/server shit, that hardware can be locked out.

Basic productivity machine for $100

HP t620 plus thin client, $40 eBay
Win 10 LTSC, $0 hwidgen.mk3
Average 24" 60hz monitor, $40 eBay
Keyboard & mouse, $20 Amazon

The t620 plus has half height pcie if you want a dGPU.

Will suck for gaming but be fine for school.

>no sound
add a usb sound card or a pcie one
>power hungry
43 watts idle
see pic related for energy star rating
>noise
i sleep with my r310 in my room and i can't hear it at all. Just don't get a loud one if you want it in the same room as you

Attached: energy star rating.png (816x370, 61K)

>only find dell optiplex and hp elitedesk in the 100-200 price range
And does that not tell you something? They are fucking everywhere for a reason.

>thinkpad of used desktop PC

Dual cpu xeon workstations like HP z600.

I'm not rich and I don't have money to waste, I was wondering if a $200 used pc with a $150 gpu is enough for everyday usage and light gayming (for the most part emulators), my T410 with its first gen i5 is showing its age now
what do you suggest except calling me a poorfag?

>They are fucking everywhere for a reason.
what do you mean? they are bad? I just thought companies renewed their PCs about every 5 years so the market is flooded now

>r310
I checked the prices and now I'm interested, any pic or other info on your setup user?

>$200 used pc with a $150 gpu is enough for everyday usage and light gayming
you're gonna get performance similar to paying 3x as much 3 years ago
if thats enough (and it should be) then you're fine, dont shit yourself

>HP t620 plus thin client, $40 eBay
These are really comfy, often come with a Windows 7 Embedded licence so you can use that for years after Microsoft finally pulls mainstream Win7 security updates.

Attached: mum.jpg (1200x671, 142K)

>They are fucking everywhere for a reason
Yeah, the reason being that they're good machines and lots of big companies who do real work buy them.

Attached: prety.jpg (1280x853, 135K)

>I'm not rich and I don't have money to waste, I was wondering if a $200 used pc with a $150 gpu is enough for everyday usage and light gayming (for the most part emulators), my T410 with its first gen i5 is showing its age now
It's absolutely fine. I use an OptiPlex 7020 (i5, magnetic HDD) with Debian/MATE and it's absolutely fine. Never wanted anything faster.

did you install a discrete gpu on it?
I've already a spare SSD and it has already 8GB of RAM, enough for my needs

No I didn't, I just use the Intel integrated graphics, I don't play any games, just surf the web, program, read things, all these things feel very fast. If you don't want to play games you only need a GPU to go to 4K on these machines.

Making $50 an hour would put you in the top like 3% of earners in the US. Are you retarded? Not to mention about 30-35% of that will go out in taxes depending on where you live. Like 25% to the feds, then state, possibly a city tax if you live in one of those kinds of shitholes