/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: GoogleWalkout.png (1152x1152, 2.24M)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201685
lkml.org/lkml/2018/11/27/984
twitter.com/BrianaWallace/status/1058026781037547520
medium.com/@googlersagainstdragonfly/we-are-google-employees-google-must-drop-dragonfly-4c8a30c5e5eb
cnbc.com/2018/11/27/read-google-employees-open-letter-protesting-project-dragonfly.html
pastebin.com/3Rn1dtFj
pastebin.com/x8FBQJLs
pastebin.com/T4VihSSH
gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wine#Sound
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Should I do it, install Linux?
I've been thinking it over for more than a year, proprietary OS became so utterly disappointing - unfriendly, bloated and in some cases useless, with their phony service and app "markets" where startupers peddle their digital fart in a bag and want me to believe that this is a community. I'm not a programmer or an IT man, my occupation is arts, I work with multimedia, so perhaps I'm unable to notice these changes early on, on the other hand my intuition tells that something's going on globally and in corporations, something I can't accept anymore, just couldn't figure out what it is.
I've been using win 10 and 7 for a couple of years since I bought a new PC that came with win 7, and after more than a decade with trusty XP they seem to be simply unnecessary "futuristic" GUI make-overs (the style of which I hate so much, terrible 7's Aero design that's not in any way prettier than Vista, and touchscreen-oriented sterile whatever in Win 10) with no radically new things I'd like to use, no desktop experience I enjoy or care about. With Mac it's the same story, except I don't even want to get a newer Mac. This pervasive "service/marketplace at home" philosophy seems to be everywhere now, yet from my point of view they have little to do with services or markets. This whole predicament's depressing, there's no communication between the big biz and users, those few honest public places of technology like universities are subdued or neglected, and the big brother of hi-tech knows what's good for me better than me.
Perhaps you'll reassure me, there are some questions:
1) Is it true that free OS have no software outside of the admin world? How hard it is to work with multimedia and make art on a free system?
2) Is it true that Linux can emulate Windows through WINE but does it unacceptably badly? I'll need some Win applications
3) Is it true that the new Linux sound system, ALSA, is inferior to the older one, OSS?

Didn't read but I'd like you to know that my opinion of you is still negative. You wrote whatever that is up there in an effort to waste my time and in some weird fetish way to satisfy yourself. I'm not sure if you're still wrestling with the fact that you have an extra chromosome or have come to terms with it and are lashing out. But one thing is for sure, you sure know how to write something I'll never read. You probably typed that whole thing out with your little dwarf thumbs. Incessantly tapping away at your cracked screen just to scrawl out a message that only the mentally handicapped that wrote it will read. I am absolutely appalled by the fact that this site allows for such people with blatant mental illness to post. It's not only a danger to the users but to society.

Current happening for kernel v4.19.x users:
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201685
lkml.org/lkml/2018/11/27/984

Easy command to check, courtesy of leddit:
journalctl --since=2018-11-01 --grep="EXT4-fs error

To answer your questions:
1) You can use Linux acceptably for creative work, especially if you work alone. GIMP, Blender and OpenShot video editor, etc. are fine for most creative tasks. However if you work with others who also use Adobe, Sony programmes and so on, you will probably have problems with compatibility.
2) WINE works but probably not for advanced/CPU heavy multimedia software like the stuff from Adobe and so on. It's better for simple Win32 business type apps, custom accounting software and whatever often runs fine under it.
3) PulseAudio is the main Linux audio system currently, though it might be replaced soon. Maybe on some technical level these systems are overcomplicated/unsatisfying but from the point of view of users -- including multimedia/creative types -- they're absolutely fine.

Oh Jesus that looks bad. Hopefully this Kernel has not made it into major distro updates yet?

>bug that fucks up the main and most widely used FS for anything Linux somehow makes it into the latest STABLE
Who the FUCK is responsible for this? This is literally Windows 10 data wiping upgrade tier retardation

Attached: 7ae.png (674x432, 20K)

Linus was on vacation. he wasn't present to stop the faggotry

How feasible is LFS as a first "distro" for someone who has used windows exclusively for more than 20 years?
This is a serious question btw.

It isn't.
Its not feasible for 90% of those who use gnu/linux too.

there is no fucking way that OP pic is real

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

twitter.com/BrianaWallace/status/1058026781037547520

>main and most widely used FS for anything [GNU/]Linux
How is ext4 still relevant in the year of our lord btrfs?

Still the default in most distros, jack of all traders, stable* and time tested.

*: assuming some brainlet doesn't fuck up the code, like they did right now.

This is cringe news, here's the actual happening at Google:
medium.com/@googlersagainstdragonfly/we-are-google-employees-google-must-drop-dragonfly-4c8a30c5e5eb
cnbc.com/2018/11/27/read-google-employees-open-letter-protesting-project-dragonfly.html

tl;dr google employees mad at google for developing a speacial google search for china especially made for state censorship, state surveillance, user tracking by their phone numbers etc.

"Stop using Google.' -- Varg

>soozuh
>mtay
Why do you lincucks just can't handle English? This hurts my brain just so much, I bet most of you also pronounce gif like gift, faggots.

kek, that will get you super fired, right?

>the default
You sound like a windows user

kys fag

>state a verifiable fact
>"y-you sound l-like a w-windows user!"
And you sound like those insecure "i-it wasn't gay because xyz" faggots. Are all /b/trfs users like this?

In one way or another, regardless if the executives in questions got metoo'd or not.

>get job at evil company
>get angry that you must to evil
Wow.

>she thinks English is the only language that exists and every word most have an English pronunciation.
Your dumb

Weird way to sexually harass a bitch but I won't argue with results.

What is the best Linus for gaming?

RMS/Linus*

Linus Techtips

soft updates > journaling

also if her claims are true.

>"Stop using Google.' -- Varg
While posting videos on Google's Youtube?

Do you know a small convertible laptop with touchscreen thats good for installing mint on?

user you really shouldn't use a touchscreen on Linux

It has, Arch has it for sure since I'm using that kernel version branch. Same with Debian and Opensuse too according to that kernel bug.

I know, but I need a tablet that can run X86 programms and isn't windows or apple.

Btrfs is for the LGBT only

Attached: 1444163690568.gif (500x460, 634K)

I'm ok with this.

So I tried installing Anbox and Sashlik to run an Android program on my system, but couldn't get it to work and chose to uninstall both. Now I am however stuck with two partitions (loop devices) that these programs created and I can't get rid of them. I just started using GNU+Linux two days ago so I feel pretty helpless right now. Even as root I can't seem to format these two. What I want is to have them gone and then remerged with my main partition. I'm on Linux Mint 19.

But remember, we linux NPCs must continue to religiously chant #Windows10Bad! Windows 10 bad guys amirite? Linux is programmed by competent coders, not like the street shitters!

Touch screens work great on Windows though'

Low IQ post

Low IQ individual

>deleted my logs to save 30MB of space
Paranoia here I come.

has anybody ever installed linux on a mbp mid 2009? any troubles there?

The only time I'll unironically say: no u

brainlet here
i kinda got hooked by FSF, RMS and all of that freedom. Im running debian but the system is kind of mess after all my attempts to tweak this or that as a noob. I checked FSF endorsed distros and PureOS caught my eyes.
But, isnt it just debian - what i have - without any traces of nonfree packages? And would I be able to install that shitty nonfree wifi driver? It is the only proprietary software I need. I will be that libre wifi dongle for christmas probably

What problems are you having exactly? Did you jump directly on debian without any prior experience? That's what I also did basically and it took me days and dozens of reinstalls to get things right.

hello frens, how would I achieve buttons that look like this in Linux?

Attached: Capture.png (454x266, 12K)

Why is portage so slow? I can do an entire upgrade+reboot with apt before emerge finishes calculating dependencies.

>user is an individual
welcome to 4channel.org

This is what happens when Linus gets forced to "act nicer"
Now millions of users will potentially get fucked over by this shit all for the sake of some devs feelings
Maybe this time they will realize why Linus acts strict/harsh for his high standards on making sure the very thing he spends his life working on doesnt end up with shit like this when hes in charge.

I want to use mostly terminal applications,whats the best distro for this?

>this is the first time ever that the kernel has had a regression

How do I enable ctrl+shift+ word selection in Debian terminal?

the WiFi drivers are proprietary iirc. use Ethernet during install

I'm new to GNU+Linux and need some advice.
Basically I want to switch distro from Fedora to something else because IBM shenanigans. But at the same time, I don't want to reinstall and rebuild everything manually. Especially XFCE configurations.

If I have a dedicated partition for /home, is it possible to install different distro and automatically reinstall all the packages I previously had as well as import all settings/configurations?

thx for the advice

As long as you dont format the partition and properly re-mount it as /home you wont lose any files including settings and configurations saved in the home folder, you should however always make a backup just in case something unexpected happens.
Packages will have to be manually restored.
If you need advice on an Xfce alternative to Fedora i would recommend Xubuntu.

I have a laptop networking card adapted to my pcie x1 slot in my desktop (how it came from the manufacturer) and the card does both wifi and bluetooth. On Windows 10 everything worked fine but on Ubuntu 18.04.1 the bluetooth functionality doesnt work. I have:
>kernel 4.15.0-39
>iwlwifi drivers installed and working for wifi
>dmesg: pastebin.com/3Rn1dtFj
>lspci: pastebin.com/x8FBQJLs
>lsmod: pastebin.com/T4VihSSH

Did you setup the ip info for the device?

I have wireless lan working totally fine, otherwise I would be phoneposting. Do you mean IP for bluetooth? Im a bit undereducated so Im sorry if I sound like Im asking a lot of stupid questions.

Been using manjaro cinnamon for a month now. While I enjoy it and it's a decent replacement for windows, it is just not smooth. I don't know why, I installed drivers, everything, but it's just not smooth. Windows stutter when being dragged, there is tearing, etc... I tried all the tweaks, but it's not smooth or snappy. I'll probably just go back to windows at this point.

Is it due to manjaro ? Is it due to cinnamon ? Is it just nvidia being shit on linux ? Feels bad.

install paludis

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html

Debian isn't endorsed because it offers repos that are non free, even though the stock install can be completely free.

I'm trying to run a game with wine, but I get this error. I tried switching from pulseaudio to Alsa but that didn't change anything. When I press the Test Sound Button in winecfg I hear the bleep. I admit that I don't realy understand much of what I'm doing right now, but I'm willing to learn.

Attached: audio error.png (736x140, 8K)

Use windows and you won't have that problem.

So I just rebooted my arch and I'm just being thrown into GRUB. Could this be related to ?

As a matter of principle, I refuse to own a tie.

I find ties uncomfortable, so I don't wear them. If ties were simply a clothing option, I would decline to use them but there would be no reason to make a fuss about it. However, there is an absurd social pressure on men to wear ties as a way of sucking up to the company.

When I worked at MIT, I was shocked that MIT graduates, who due to their ability and skill could have almost dictated employment terms, instead felt compelled to wear ties to job interviews, even with companies that (they knew) had the sense not to ask them to wear ties on the job.

I think the tie means, "I will be so subservient as an employee that I will do even totally senseless things just because you tell me to." Going to a job interview without a tie is a way of saying you don't want to work for someone who demands that.

The people who yield to the pressure to wear ties are victim-coperpetrators: each one who wears a tie at work increases the pressure on others. This is a central concept for understanding other forms of propagating nastiness, including nonfree software and Facebook. In fact, it was in regard to ties that I first recognized this phenomenon.

I don't condemn victim-coperpetrators, since they are primarily victims and only secondarily perpetrators, and they don't know about the latter aspect. But I feel a responsibility not to contribute to the pressure on others. I hope my refusal to wear a tie will make it easier for you to refuse as well.

The first time I visited Croatia, that country had a major PR campaign about being the place of origin of the necktie. ("Cravate" and "Croat" are related words.) You can imagine my distaste for that — in response, I referred to that country as "Tieland" for a while.

The Free Software Foundation's dress code says that a propeller beanie is required, but other clothing is optional. However, we don't enforce it.

Attached: propeller-beanie_900x.jpg (600x600, 40K)

Try twiddling the compatibility mode between XP and 7. wine can't always guess what sound API a program is expecting. Consider installing Lutris or PlayOnLinux rather than fuck w/ wine configs manually.

Looking into it. I actually already tried XP mode.

It's due to you not being able to read OP.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing

>installing Nvidia drivers without disabling secure boot

just fucking end my life already

yes actually.
Ive been a long time mac user, and by browsing Jow Forums, i was tempted to use ubuntu some years back, but just as a secondary os. And this summer, i finally sold the macbook air I had and bought refurbished T420S and sadly instantly fell for the arch meme, had a bad time, then i distrohopped and then i settled with this debian, where i tried i3 (again, because of this board and my personality of trying to "fit in while having no idea"), kde, now xfce. And because its the same install, even puring the previous DE completely didnt wipe it off fully, so i now have a hybrid ugly DE on top of debian where some stuff are just broken (for example I tried to install vs-codium - for of vscode without MS branding and dpkg showed me an error of of not having libconf-2-4, although i surelly tried to install using dpkg before, but apt cant find this package now).

Like, i believe im a fast learner and i have a dedication, but i tend to choose too much for my abilities, then i somehow find online a solution for the most critical problems, but because it isnt 100% perfect and i cant figure out why, i tend to get stressed.

Id so love to have a system and just stick with it. After all this mess, im leaning towards a low-on-resource but kind of nice, traditionally looking DE with a start/all-apps menu, a system where i can find most of the packages and system that will hopefully run smoothly.
Also, because of this board (but really, its just my insecurity) i developed to look down on things like ubuntu.

I dont really know why im
>nice blog
ing this shit to you, maybe just to spill it out.

anyway it feels good
so rather than try to fix the unfixable, i again, tried to look elsewhere - pureos. but probably, reinstalling debian with some common-sense de like mate might do the trick.
Im running on 4gb ram btw

Take it you checked the appdb on winehq?

From my experience every single Lutris installation script I've tried to use has never worked properly.

Jea, Only has old info for a demo and says it just werks.

>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wine#Sound
Have you tried any of those solutions?

Seems to JustWerk(tm) on Fedora, or at least no worse than I can do manually, but I've only ever tried ones from Steam or GoG. There's definitely room for breakage with that many independent parts.

No, I will now, thanks for the good info.

What should i use to make .epub files? I'm thinking of making one for the gentoo handbook so i can access it from my ereader instead of a crappy computer screen.

It's always recommended to use the Arch wiki as a reference whenever possible even if you're not using the distro itself.
t. Debian user

What does bluetoothctl list say?

Interesting, I would have ignored if i ran acros it myself, becaust of that.

How do y'all open your encrypted non-root/-home devices? Kinda annoying to open then mount everytime.

Nevermind this, I just had to regenerate my grub config.
Anyways, I switched to the LTS kernel for safety reasons

Most of the stuff on the wiki can apply to any distro other than things like package names and some config locations, i usually cross-reference the Arch wiki with the Debian/Ubuntu wikis but i've been able to set up more things by using the information on the Arch wiki compared to the other two.

What distros have the best communities? Which tend to be trendsetters?

Guys I really don't like Debian Stretch. It's been a huge pain in the ass. Graphics artifacts out the ass, doesn't turn on after being put to sleep; just goes to a black screen and I have to reboot. Steam never worked.
I'm looking for something to switch to for my shitty 5y old workstation.
I had Noobuntu 10.04 back in college and had no issues with it at all but people seem to shit on the new LTS and KDE.
What's the current meme distro that's not poz'd? No Arch or Slackware. Or Gentoo.

Attached: 1543555413722m.jpg (577x1024, 67K)

> best communities
Debian
> trendsetters
Fedora, Gentoo

If I want to use Ubuntu with KDE, should I just use KDE Neon or Ubuntu/Kubuntu?

>mfw Debian
>mfw still on 4.9 because Debian
feels comfy

Attached: 1400781750429 (2015_09_18 12_40_44 UTC) (2015_10_10 21_41_23 UTC).jpg (278x290, 18K)

Did all this already. Changed jack shit.

crypttab

>mtay
its mah-tey. people will incorrectly pronounce it as mayt. but no one has ever pronounced it as mtay. get better bantz.

If its amd64
Arch
If its i186
Update your computer and install arch

THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-30 21-40-24.png (183x38, 4K)

10.04 used to use Gnome 2, we are on 3 now and it's an aborted abomination. Mate is a fork of Gnome 2 and Xfce resembles it. Ubuntu has a normalfag version of both.
KDE is not that bad but I don't like it.
Kubuntu.
Debian Stable + Xfce is maximum comfy.

\[\033[01;35m\][\033[01;04;35m\]\u@\h\[\033[00;01;37m\] \W\[\033[01;35m\]]\$\[\033[00m\]

what is wrong with this PS1? Im trying to get name@hostname underlined and in fancy colours and it works although when typed input is longer than terminal window width it overlaps greeter text from the left on the same line
also sometimes parts of previous commands are appended to the end of that structure so my typing starts after that added part that doesnt interrupt typed in commands

I guess I should be grateful 4.19 fucked amdgpu so hard it can barely boot.