/msg/ - Media Server General

Servers: Plex or Emby? Or are there other viable alternatives?
Players: Do you use Kodi or something else? Are the Plex/Emby applications worthwhile?
What torrent providers do you use?

Attached: mediaservers.jpg (1024x539, 48K)

Been using plex since 2012, pretty tired of it because the android apps are shit and HDR playback is a pain. Literally the only good plex clients are apple tv and web.
Looking for something else

even though i hate it and it's garbage client i use plex; because emby is fucking garbage in every regard and there don't seem to be any real alternatives.

I am on the same boat. Plex is not perfect, but i prefer it over Emby.
The mobile app is pretty garbage tho, but i still use on the commute

I use kodi on the computer connected to my tv and plex on other tvs. Kodi fucking sucks though, sometimes it makes it so windows volume control doesnt work, sound is either on or off but you cant turn it up or down

Plex just werks and I have an nfs mount to my nas that I can just plop folders in and everything is smooth. The main client I use is on the xbox and it seems to work fine, I'm not very picky though, more so just like being able to keep a library and appreciate the amount of work Plex does for me with metadata and shit.

my issue with plex is i dont want to deal with making sure everything is named exactly right. Not to mention some shows (like american dad) have their info for season/episode in some places like imbd incorrect so then episodes dont play or get named correctly.

Why not just use Kodi with Plex?

For remote streaming?

Plex Server
Kodi Application

Hmm gonna try tomorrow

>he uses sickrage

Attached: yikes.png (632x756, 71K)

i have a 2008 netbook (so specs similar to a 2003 desktop computer) and plex just works.
i use it to remotely stream all my downloaded movies and TV shows.

the only thing i wish it had was the ability to 100% turn off transcoding.
this CPU can't even handle encrypted connections (HTTPS/SSL/FTPS) much less video transcoding.
luckily all my media players can natively play all my content.

Anyone have experience with using Plex on a remote server? I have a server in Europe and I'm in North America, and sometimes the speed will tank (not even fast/responsive enough to stream FLAC). Is there anything I can do about this?

port forwarding?

for some reason when logging into my remote server through the plex site, it has to reroute the connection but when i directly connect to it using my web address, it works perfectly.

Plex is a hard pass because they route a bunch of stuff through their own servers
Does emby do the same?

I have no problems accessing the server, either directly or through plex.tv.

U mad fag?

sounds like a server problem then.
plex is just a simple video streaming software that lets you transcode or natively stream your video files but with a good GUI.

my 2008 netbook will have problems streaming when i use SSL or try to transcode video but that's only because of the server's specs.
disable SSL and transcoding and it has no problem streaming +25Mbps content

I use Kodi and pull the videos and other content from my NAS. The openness and add-ons make it totally worth it. Haven't had any complaints.

Why do we hate Emby?

Kodi, and just use the network share feature of whatever OS I'm on

Universal Media Server
Everything else is bloated garbage

Attached: logo.jpg (217x220, 16K)

>HDR playback is a pain
Explain

You worried the gubmint gonna get you?

>Microsoft language bad!

have to modify plex client profile xmls manually with codec / direct play profiles for h.265, HEVC, etc. I don't think they've ever fixed this.

It's a pain. Else PMS will try to transcode and playback won't work. Everything should just werk

>not compatible with anything
Enjoy your shitware

Plex is arguably the most tolerant of them all in this regard, for Kodi and Emby everything has to be named correctly or it won't pick them up at all.

I use Emby, it's fine!

After fooling around with Emby i find myself strongly suspecting that its basically the backend of Kodi turned into a web client. Though Kodi's backend has changed significantly in v18, so perhaps Kodi is for now, better than Emby.

I thought people hated the Emby application? They only like the server.

Emby is alright as a backend. The android app and web ui are shit. Good kodi integration, fortunately.

any protocols that are good for streaming? i currently use smb on openmediavault.

Plex With Transmission + radarr + sonarr + jackett + /ptg/
dual xeons with 64gb ram and 35 TB used

Pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20181201-023601.jpg (1080x2340, 476K)

i use plex app on fire tv and plex server... it have fuckload of bugs, like videos stopping and closing like they ended, refusing to load giving false messages like not enough internet speed or computer to slow, while refusing to load even a bit of the video file. Anyway there really no alternative to it, so i just it...

Emby is fine you fucking autists

Kodi is king nowadays. Only downside is Initial set up of SMB share is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Emby + Kodi through Emby Addon (not Embycon) is the best possible combination.

Attached: D63BEE75-E01E-4E10-B4D9-91E5A45D3E53.jpg (4032x3024, 2.13M)

Not the application.

Don't you need a VPN for those torrent setups?

honestly, why don't run a normal Windows and use a media player like mpv or VLC?
Should work on all TV's that are connected to a computer.

Maybe in clapistan.

Not remote control friendly. Interface not made in mind with TV displays.

is there anyway to prevent my plex server from trying to transcode audio in my videos? my potato “server” can’t handle the transcoding. the client is a nvidia shield and even though it can play media with EAC3 audio just fine by itself, when i try ti stream something from my plex server it’ll try to transcoded and just freeze.
This happens just with the shield, everything works fine with the Smart tv, ipad and web apps.

There are bluetooth keyboards with integrated touch pads available. This should solve the problem.

for kodi i just browse by files and then naming doesnt matter at all

I have an openmediavault server with an mpd user on it, does that count

I'm sitting all the way over the couch, even if I make the desktop larger it's not going to be a nice experience. The UI just isn't built for a TV set. It's much nicer to just use a remote with a nice interface.

yes, it may be true.
I just see people having a lot of issues with codecs and steaming and stuff and as a person who does not even own a TV and watching all his series on a PC, i find it the best way to just use a software player on Windows.

>Java
>not bloated garbage

Attached: 1537915488893.jpg (250x180, 4K)

>Servers
SMB for LAN, SFTP for WAN
>Players
VLC on android, MPCHC on windows

Fite me

look at this super boomer

Attached: 1536962741856.png (376x341, 103K)

Good taste Jow Forumsentooman

Attached: 90d879c036663f7952f9b1b4b6184d4c.jpg (512x710, 223K)

Either