How do you set yours up, Jow Forums?

How do you set yours up, Jow Forums?

Plex or Emby? Something else? Universal Media Server?
Do you use Kodi? If so, with what device?
Do you pay for features?

Attached: 1543448301637.jpg (1280x720, 215K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/PseudoTV/PseudoTV_Live/archive/master.zip
ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/addons.superrepo.org/v7/addons/script.module.pyfscache/script.module.pyfscache-0.9.12.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't use Plex because of all the fake laid-back hipster language in their marketing emails. It seems like a company made up of 100% douchebags.

I dont need to send my files to a server just to have them sent back to me on another computer in my house. I have a router and a brain for that.

Nigga you can stream shit without leaving your LAN with Plex.

I get mine from Perimeter.

Plex w/ lifetime subscription
Plexamp is a great frontend for music
at least they don't fag up the icon during faggot month, and I think the CEO is a Trump supporter, just a hunch.

my DNS-325 does the job for me, and Windows detects the network share just fine. I always wanted to go with a media player but all of them were too stupid to figure out my NAS apparently. I don't want to switch my NAS just to compensate for their tech

Implying it doesnt check in.

The best plug in I ever found was something called Pseudo TV Live. It let you use your media files to create TV channels which you can surf through. It felt like the glory days of 90s channel surfing. There was almost no load time in switching channels, the files would play in a random spot, so you'd catch random cool moment in the middle of a show, and since they are your files - no commercials.

Attached: 1530377670207.png (380x349, 70K)

holy shit
I always wanted this

Attached: 1536962741856.png (376x341, 103K)

Emby server, Kodi with Emby plugin, MPC-HC on my main desktop and Emby in a web browser on things where I watch videos too infrequently to be worth having something set up specifically for that use case.

All right I'm switching to Plex

Where do I find this Plugin? When I google it I just find shitty scripts to run on another machine.

I'm fucking around with it right now
github.com/PseudoTV/PseudoTV_Live/archive/master.zip
works with the latest version of kodi 17
and you'll need to download and install this first
ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/addons.superrepo.org/v7/addons/script.module.pyfscache/script.module.pyfscache-0.9.12.zip

Windows Server 2016 running raw SMB. I have an old SFF desktop converted into a media center PC running Ubuntu which streams video from said server over a 10Gbit LAN.

Read any of the support requests, they are huge fucking douches.

They get pissed off when people say X doesn't work and try and disseminate with canned responses, if you keep pushing eventually they will just admit its never going to get fixed or implemented and basically tell you to fuck off.

Using Universal Media Server. Currently streaming anime to my PS3.

well, what is your setup

about to try this. did you get it working?

>kodi 100% cpu malware
>repo not working
>plex want 10$
Enjoy your shit faggot.

I'm new to using Plex, I know that DVDs run at 480p but when they're played from their source media they're played at the TVs resolution. However when I stream them from my Plex server, they're clearly lower quality. Is that just how it is? Or is there a setting to change while ripping the DVD (Handbrake btw).

yeah, i got it up and running
it's pretty based

are you streaming across your network I assume? check your transcoding settings in plex

If you have a brain the fucking use it instead of making retarded comments like this.

Who cares? It's a good service.

Yes streaming across my LAN but not outside of it. I believe I'm transcoding when im ripping (CPU maxes out and gets very hot, takes about 30-90 minutes depending on DVD).

I've heard Plex can transcode on the fly, am I fucking up by transcoding when ripping? And if so, can you rip a DVD and keep it whatever its native file type is?

Plex is free. Only 10 dollars for extras, which are nice features for some. I suppose you have a custom closed source option which can compete? Otherwise, fuck off.

Thx user

Attached: 1538169702296.gif (367x219, 523K)

Why do you want to do both at the same time anyways?

Plex can transcode on the fly but you need a decent cpu. My celeron n3150 can do it for low Bitrate 1080p but I have a 30s buffer time at starting and it maxes out the cpu. A raspberry pi is way to weak. If you have a flex pass you can use intel hardware acceleration, which should greatly improve the speed.

Doing both at the same time is the default setting for Handbrake. Because I'm unfamiliar with the software I just rolled with it. Moving forward I dont think I'll do both though, because...

The hardware shouldn't be a problem, given that I'm only going to host to my LAN I'm hosting the Plex server on my main machine with an i5 6600k at 4.2. Initially I was going to use an old laptop with an i73630QM, still might down the line if it can keep somewhat cool.

look into ripping the DVD with something like DVD Decrypter then using MakeMKV to change the container of the video to MKV which will leave the video/audio untouched (which is what you want, because the quality will be better)

this is assuming what you're ripping are movies or tv shows, i don't know how Plex handles extra content like behind-the-scenes documentaries

Thanks user, I'll check it out when I get off work.

I know this isn't /hsg/ but you do realize that a overclocked i5 is not at all energy efficient. Even your old laptop with it's 45W tdp is probably overkill, if course in comparison with your pc it's a much more sane solution. Just be prepared to pay 50 bucks for the electricity each year.
I doubt you can underclock/undervolt that 3630qm, so use it in energy saving mode only. Clean the fans and renew the thermal compound, that should keep temperatures and energy consumption lower.

I bought plex pass cause i had that sweet 50% off offer($75 for lifetime) which then drove me to set up a server. Plan 1: use a nvidia shield, cause everyone says its an awesome low power server!

...The fuck? Trying to load up my collection(4tb of hevc and AVC movies and TV series) took literally 4 days! And once it was all set up(though tons of the posters for TV shows and movies never loaded) the shield was totally unusable. It would literally take 2-3 SECONDS to scroll through the apps on the front page. Fucking waste of $150.

2nd option: Buy an old optiplex with a i5 4570, 8gb of ram, and a quadro K620. This ones actually working quite well. The scrapper took maybe 3 hours to scan my library(400 flac albums, 350 TV series, some with over 200 episodes. 1000 movies) and actually loaded all the posters and screenshots. Only downside is the thing eats electricity and humms loudly enough to be annoying when i'm in the same room.

My setup prior to this was a USB 4tb drive plugged into a chinese android box(s912) running through Kodi. Now i have the shield replacing that box, and its using kodi with the same HDD... And thats where i watch 90% of my shit, so i dunno why i actually bought the plex shit now that i think about it...

>Do you pay for features?

Attached: 1511156757154.png (846x900, 448K)

>work
I thought this was a neet board?

I use Plex because it was good when I set it up and I cba to seitch. If I were to set up a new server today I'd use Emby.

I paid $4.99 for the Plex iOS app but I've never paid for the server software.

here. The reason the pass is worth considering is the hardware transcoding capability. If you have an intel chip or a discreet GPU you can easily double your transcoding potential with that feature unlocked. If i didnt get the offer for 50% off i never would have bothered though, and i sure as fuck wouldnt do a monthlee or annual pay plan(fuck that...)

Okay, you seem like you know a bit about both. Would you mind telling more about them? Like what their key differences are and what advantages/disadvantages they might bring?

I paid plex pass just for GPU transcoding since it's working better than cpu transcoding

Plex, torrent daemon and smb server on my old desktop converted into an OpenMediaVault homeserver.

Set up deluge torrent daemon to move finished downloads to the media/movies directory if the tracker matches the private tracker i usually dl movies and shows from.

Plex monitors that directory and I rarely have to manually clean any file names. Plex needed less babysitting than Emby and Kodi so that's why I went with it. I trust that Plex Corp business model aligns well enough with people pirating their content that Plex Corp safeguards the metadata they probably steal from me well enough.