Job thread

What's your job and pay? Do you like it?

Help Desk'er here. 2K (after taxes)
The pay is not too good, and the job is not terribly exciting.
I feel like I will spend too much of my precious time just restarting passwords.

Anyone got some career advice?

Anyway, JOB THREAD.

Attached: go-forward.png (886x886, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hackersforcharity.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

$2k a year? How are you alive?

I hate job and office lab rats full of retarded zoomers.

3.5 an hour, chef

NEET

Sometimes I sell things on ebay when I get hungry enough.

Are you a burger clap?
Even if you're not, you should be receiving food stamps.

I'm not black enough to receive food stamps. Plus I have too much in my Roth IRA to qualify for food stamps.

Buyer for food distribution company. Mainly a generic office job that pays about $50K .Nothing exciting but it pays the bills.

All of these jobs people complain about are nothing compared to the tough jobs our ancestors had to do like working in coal mines.

No a month

Chances are your ancestor did not work in a coal mine since the mortality rate was insane, so families tended not to actually get formed.

That still sucks tho.

Pencil pusher making 55k usd at big 4 consulting. First job out of college, it sucks

Attached: 1446517973899.jpg (1024x942, 139K)

taxi driver
€14/h
it's not too bad, except the long hours and when you gotta carry fat people up stairs

>Math PhD
>300k starting
>any job I want

20 hours a week delivering pizza, 40 hours a week working overnights at a hotel as an auditor. Pizza is 11.50++ per hour and auditing is 15 per hour.
Went to community college for a degree in information security and loved my time there, but I live in a tiny town with no need for what I know outside of the two managed service providers. When jobs open up there for something like a sysadmin, network admin, or even fucking Help Desk, they require a BS in Compsci and get applicants. What kind of compsci Bachelors holder wants to do this kind of work?
In the mean time while our houses lease is still active I'm using my time at the hotel to study for certs and move on to a job in a field I actually studied for.
Thanks for reading my blog please remember to like and subscribe.

Silicon Valley software dev
~$175k/year
Strict 9-5 with "weekends offlimits" policy

It's enjoyable (work too) but I plan to save up a nice chunk and then switching jobs to something with that pays less but has a greater impact on humanity as a whole

Get a cert in AWS, Azure or Red Hat.

After 6 months searching I finally almost have all my stuff together for a volunteer position. I hope to get my character references back this weekend, then they said it's about 1 month wait time for the background check. If I work hard and get lucky, by 2020, I might be making minimum wage!

startup in Tokyo
~3600 USD / month = 42k / year

Japanese companies pay shit because the idea is that you're locked into one company for the rest of your life.

Attached: 1535178231939.jpg (683x700, 176K)

kys disgusting pedo scum

From my time living in Tokyo (upwards or 2 years) I got the impression that one could reasonably live somewhat affordably compared to other cities, especially if you're willing to commute. While I lived there, I paid a fraction of what I pay now in silicon valley for rent…

Draftsman for steel constructions. I earn $20k a year after taxes and social security in eastern Germany, which is actually well above the average entry wage in my region. Can't complain. Rent and utilities on a one bedroom apartment are like $500 a month.

Yeah I mean I save $1000 every month. My apartment is in Tokyo with a 1 hour commute. Rent is $700 (tiny 1K).

bump for advice

There are startups in Japan?!
good to know i guess

Retail PC Repair (actually a fucking secretary for the store, helping costumers, and phone operator)
Fucking minimum wage
I fucking hated it, literally just quit because the managers are piece of shit
Hopefully i'll get my meme certificates and get a "real" IT job.

wantedly.com
You'll still be a dancing monkey, even though you're not teaching English.

DOT?

>What's your job and pay? Do you like it?
I won the lotto a few years ago. I make about $2 million/year on the dividends.

whats the max pay out after taxes?

Also need some advice.
>too ashamed to say my salary in my third world country
Right now have to decide between two job offers:
1) I will have enough to NEET payment, almost no work, a lot of free time to play games or trying to learn things. I had to pay for food, rent, etc.
2) I will have two times more payment, i don't need to pay for food/rent, yet i had to work, a lot, i won't have free time and my own pc to code for myself. If things will go too good, even more profit/maybe even payed travelling in other countries.
Both choices have their merits/demerits. Like, safest option just to neet. But, second option can be best if things will go too well.

Attached: literally my situation.jpg (1919x1078, 346K)

>>>leddit

hackersforcharity.org/
Do good work, get references and build out your resume

I walked away with a little over 52 mill after Fed and state taxes. Spent 10 million on house, cars and family then invested the rest.

Payments Investigator at bank (looking for lost payments, making new payments, calling banks etc etc) Job is ok for a lazy pleb like me

Not so fast moron

front end code monkey, mostly angular
slovakia
€15k
better than being neet

Why don't you move to Germany or Poland?

>tfw amerifat and cant just move to other countries like they're states.
Not that user, but like to entertain the idea of living abroad for a few years. Too bad its unrealistic for someone with not many skills.

Java/Spring backend developer for an ISP
Denmark
$80k with 6 weeks vacation.
It's alright.

What do you do as a backend developer?

Masters degree from most prestigious college, researcher.
Not getting into jobs because there aren't any pre-doc positions.
Unis know they can use and abuse you for free until you receive phd candidate level.
Slaving in uni for 700 €/mon gibs from state.
My job agent leaves me alone, he usually deals with drug addicts, not doctorate students.
Its been two years.
Offing myself when im not getting into a 1.4k /month stipend next spring.

Wish me luck i guess

jr frontend dev for an agency which makes dynamic adverts for top tier brands
only make 22k in london which is pathetic though and everyday is mundane shit work in basic html/css/js we don't use any frameworks or preprocessors just google's enabler and shitty doubleclick

Junior java developer, data forensics analysys sector

Spain

Flexible hours (can enter and leave whenever between 7 AM and 8 PM as long as in the end of the month I do 160h)

24 free days a year, can choose which days I want to take. Some days are cheaper and cost less than one day.

21k€

It's pretty comfy though Im craving better, newer technologies

17k yuros a year, italy

I'm a really bad js and php developer so i dont complain idk whats the reality of how good and bad devs can be, because this is my first time working in a company, but i know that I'm seriously a really shitty developer

I'm Jow Forums janitor. Fuck dumb frogposters.

a student job as a software developer in intel.
30$ per hour

How much you make?

You mean median entry wage...? Average cannot be that low in Germany, even eastern.

nice larp

22k yearly in London? Ouch

Rentier reporting in. Not having to have a dayjob is nice I guess.

> What's your job and pay ?
Distributed databases and systems developer in a Big Data shop. It's a part time student job so I get 1K a month.

> Do you like it ?
I mostly enjoy the studies it pays for. It's pretty fun but get repetitive after a while.

I keep seeing people who work as "developers" but what does that mean? Are you creating new programs, fixing old ones? What kind of duties does your run of the mill developer do? For instance your boss says "user I need you to finish X by next Friday" what is X?

Although not specifically hired as one, I'm now working as an Angular front end developer for about 30k/year in Belgium (about 21k after taxes). Will probably be put on C#/ASP.NET projects later (which I'm desperate for since JS really grinds your programming passion to fucking dust)

Our domain is damn boring but most collegues are nice enough and the wage is pretty good for this place so I'm not complaining. I can save some money fast (about 1k a month) but can't really afford to live like a king.

It is adding new features to existing programs, fixing bugs and developing new ones yes. It's also figuring out what customers want if your shop is small.

You should learn about SCRUM if you want more insight into how you will be managed. Everyone and their dog is implementing that now.

1750yuros per month in Belgium? Isn't that near poverty level?

Freelance sys admin / sys engineer / dev ops / cloud container pipeline evangelist / whatever.

Daily rate is $ 800.

Work is fun, good food and coffee, cool perks although not as many as the actual employees.

Actual income after taxes is impossible to tell, because you try to keep your income as low as possible to avoid taxes.

Belgium.

Not if you're 23 and splitting costs with your girlfriend in a different city than Antwerp or Brussels

Once I finish my masters thesis it should rise with another 100 euro after taxes too

If you don't mind me asking: where do you find your freelance work? I have a feeling that business in our country kinda tries to avoid freelancers these days but I only have two data points to back my feelings up. Good sites with actual Belgian clients?

cloud automation engineer / devops / sysadmin / whatever the fuck buzzword you prefer
AUD$75k

.NET Junior Full Stack Dev at company growing out of start up phase

$40K a year

I trained in java/python and abit of c++ but took the first job I could find after college

I fucking hate it - I never really cared about OS/language/framework debates but now i understand microsoft hate.

C# is good and feature rich but also so dull and sterile, 90% of my time is spent solving some stupid issues in the .NET ecosystem. I want off the microsoft ride

Thinking about moving into pen testing in the new year since i have a bit of a background in network security

Programmer for a marine tech company, first job out of university that I started this summer.

Making $60k equivalent. Like $43k after taxes.

But since I made enough on crypto last year to almost pay down my mortgage, it's way more than I need. I have like $2k a month I don't know what to spend on

Teacher in 3rd world European shithole making around 500 usd a month after taxes. If I didn't live with my parents, I would have starved to death. I don't have to work too much, but it sure as hell doesn't feel rewarding either, this salary is a joke even by my country's standards.

>Be me
>Finish uni after 4 years
>Distinction in a STEM Masters
>Come home
>timetogetmydreamjob.gif
>Email dozens of companies
>Scour LinkedIn for jobs
>Sign up for multiple agencies
>Nearly a hundred applications
>Three months later still unemployed
I'm finally getting some traction and have some applications in progress, but fk me is higher education oversold.
Feel like I should've saved myself three years and $50k+ and gone to trade school

Attached: pepecrimson.png (900x900, 487K)

There is an over saturation of university graduates. A half decent trade school could churn out the entry level programmers, sys admins etc at the same quality with 1/2 the cost in a 1/4 of the time.

University has become just another scam for easy cash.

>Get a degree, they said
>You'll get employed, they said
I realize that now bro... Just wish I could go back and tell my 18yo self

Attached: 1543432791087.png (656x755, 39K)

eh dont blame urself i did networking at a trade school came out and did nothing with my qualifications idk why

I went through Uni and got a comp sci degree, for me it was worth it but I wasn't just doing it to get a career it genuinely interested me and my parents helped with some living costs so my student loan is ridiculous.

It might pay off for you in the end still fren.

Without trying to sound arrogant: work finds me. I get a number of projects offered every week. Most of them are not really relevant or pay too little or require relocating, but some are good if I were looking to change jobs.

It's gotten to point where I don't answer the phone for unknown numbers, because 90 % of the time it's a recruiter. If they insist on calling me back without leaving a voicemail message, I flatout block their number.

My LinkedIn profile lists all my projects, jobs, educations and experience in great detail. I get a lot of requests to connect from recruiters, but I only accept people that I've actually interacted with.

I have a few recritment companies that I worked with in the past and who treated me right. If I find a job opening that I like, I send it to them to see if they can get me in. Usually they can, because all job openings in Belgium are handled by a lot of recruitment companies. They will hire you as a freelancer or employee.

The to end client it doesn't make a difference if you're freelance or employee: they pay a daily rate to the recruitment company.

The demand for my expertise (and plenty of others) is so high I'm in an incredible luxury position.

The downside is that IT evolves so fast, it takes up a lot of time and effort to keep up. I probably spend around 14 hours a day on a computer and it's starting to take a toll on my physical and mental health.

>Come home
>timetogetmydreamjob.gif
This was you mistake. You were supposed to do this while you were still in school. I had my full time job offer the beginning of my senior year.

*isn't ridiculous.

Even if you never use it, any qualification like that shows you can at least show up for work and aren't completely retarded which puts you above 25% of the population

if your budget is $700, you might be able to live closer if you're willing to get a bit smaller. Esp if you're OK with a share house (you don't have to actually talk to the other people). I was in a $400/month share house in Nakano (utilities included), it was terrible but also saved so much money

Not that guy but fellow Belgian infrastructure/cloud consultant. I have an (American) agency that finds gigs for me, these are almost always for Fortune 500 companies. We do niche stuff though and usually are subcontracted by the company that got the actual gig. You're almost never going to get these big gigs as a solo freelancer.

So if you're a brogrammer looking to freelance you should and/or can:
extend your scope outside of Belgium
find an agency that can middleman/broker gigs for you
join one of the Deloitte's type companies and have the life sucked out off you

2400 euro per month in the Netherlands

.NET Dev, first year of employement

its a medium/lowish amount of money for this position and I'm taking care of my autistic/traumatized/kinda fucked in the head wife who got kicked out by her parents and is dealing with burnout for now but the silver lining is that I still manage to save some money (400 a month) every month and we live decently (able to buy stuff we want like vidya, clothes, going out to eat to nice places etc) and I'll get my MCSD in January and I'll go back to school part-time to finish my MSc next year. Meaning I'll be able to negotiate a new, much higher salary (going to ask for 3200 but aiming for 3000-3100). Additionaly my wife will start doing her PhD next year during which she'll get paid and those things combined should vastly increase our quality of life.

That said I love my job, our team is usually building some of the most important stuff in our company so the bar is high and we get to insert a lot of our own ideas into the product. I genuinely look forward to going to work the next day sometimes on sunday.

thanks for reading my blog btw make sure to like and suscribe

Tokyo

$5k/month, goes pretty far tho cuz I don't have to pay for a car or crazy expensive health insurance. But normally the salary would be less , but Igot lucky in not being totally autistic and being actually good at programming.

Thank you everyone for sucking so hard I look good in comparison

should have bugged the shit out of your professors for internship opportunities. degrees don't mean shit without experience.

Real talk: there are a billion programmer jobs out there. Problem is a lot of them are shit, but they're out there.

Good ones are basically gotten by networking at dumb events/having a really good recruiter work for you

Thanks frens... Honestly I had a blast at uni, and chances are I'll get work eventually, I just feel that degrees are irresponsibly oversold by schools; kids should be made more aware of other options

Attached: 1543514953302.jpg (603x603, 63K)

>make 1750 a month
>«but when I finish my masters Ill make 1850!»
Quite weak cope, dont you think? Just shows how insecure about your income you are

>I have like $2k a month I don't know what to spend on
Drugs and hookers?

Mechanical Engineer, about $70k this year after bonuses. I do like it a lot, doing design work right now, but might give project management a try after a few more years.

You speak truths anons, this should be an employment advice thread

Attached: nedok.jpg (567x642, 51K)

Backend/devops code monkey here, I'm making about 2k€ after taxes every month.
It's fine since I'm living in second world country. Probably I could buy half of my shithole with my yearly wage.

Ever since I got kids of my own, I think teachers are way underpaid and underappreciated.

Hang in there.

Also imo get a shitty job at a place with good programming jobs e.g. helpdesk. As long as you are not a sperg and show you have a good attitude etc it's easy to get promoted from within a company if you show interest in certain fields.

Most management types I have spoken to look for people with the right attitude over some anti-social genius hackerman sterotype.

Based

>What's your job and pay?
I'm a 100% motherfucker
Whatever I get my hands on
>Do you like it?
Fuck yes

agreed. There are basically two tracks:
- people who can become project managers or above later (ie basic social skills)
- wizards

Being on the wizard track can be fun but you actually gotta be good. Being on the first track is more rewarding cuz you get to do a bunch of stuff and be more visible in the company, but it requires you to be.... like the most basic level of competent at dealing with people. At least more than the other engineers around you

Team around you is the most important. Good team can make jobs very rewarding.

Wow, that's interesting to here! I can imagine companies wanting to spend a lot of money to get themselves into the cloud. Don't worry about sounding arrogant, you can be if you're competent ( I don't like this mentality of ours ). I have been interested in cloud computing such as AWS and Azure for a long time now, too. I'm doing a thesis in machine learning but to be honest it's vastly overhyped in my feeling.

I already felt I spent too little time working on my LinkedIn but now I'll be sure to do that asap.

I wonder how old you are to have reached such a good position?

And, yeah, keeping up your physique as a programmer/IT guy is a bitch. I started biking to my job and I must say that just doing 10 km per day already makes a good difference to how fit you feel at least. Might not want to do that in the centre of Brussels though ...

>fellow slovak
1,2k/month after taxes as Linux L2
regular 8x5 shifts too, working full remote from home on east side of country so no money out on commuting, flat, share food with family so pretty nice amount goes into savings

but my jew manager decided that they won't be paying overtimes in money at all, only in alternate vacations (this gave me another 300 per month netto too) so I guess it's time to polish my CV and look for more comfy company

Actually it's not because €2700 before taxes for someone who did industrial engineering in Belgium is already pretty high. I already negotiated this confidently but they want to wait to pay me in full 'till I have my thesis ready. I think that's fair enough. If they don't deliver I walk, simple as that.

I'm going to be switching jobs in the near future to hit that sweet 3k mark though. I think if I get a MCSD or some shit I could easily find such a job.

Could you maybe give a few examples of these agencies that act as middlemen? Because working for a consultancy firm that isn't McKinsey or something doesn't seem to great giving the wages and the time you have to put in relative to that etc.

I'm pretty internationally minded and I don't mind working remotely or travelling a lot. Don't want to move permanently though (I care too much about my family and my future wife who wouldn't be happy moving).

Plumber here. I make around $150,000 a year (new construction). I work on new Hospitals installing Medical Gas in Texas. The work I do is for super anal people who are obsessive compulsive and nit pick every fucking detail. Lives depend on it, literally. Didn't pay one cent for school. Zero tuition debt. My house is paid for, Im 42 (6 bed, 4 bath, two story house with pool and land). I haven't worked a weekend in maybe 6 years.

My brother went to college for 4 years (same time it took me to get a journeymans license and med gas endorsement), and he makes 45k a year and has 34k in debt left to pay off. Fucking idiot.

Attached: med gas.jpg (3648x2736, 3.11M)

peak boomer

Attached: file.png (380x349, 95K)

And set for life.

>Fucking idiot.
Why so belligerent towards your own brother?

>6 bed, 4 bath, two story house with pool and land
I understand the pool and the land but cannot fathom the bedrooms. Why? Why not go on a nice vacation instead?

Radiologic technologist

about 32K dollars after tax (Shekelistan)

wanna change profession , even tough the job is kinda easy working at the clinic , its quite lifeless and repetitive ( xraying mostly as ass cover for cowardly and unskilled doctors).

wanna go for a tech job , but coding and sitting in front of a computer all day isn't for me , i want a more "hands on" and active profession.

any suggestion?

Could go for data centre tech, sys admin or some embedded systems engineer type job

I like this guy

35 years old, have been working as a system engineer since 2006. I usually get a job offer every time I apply because I know my stuff, I still want to learn new things and I have social skills.

What I learn at work I try to apply at home and vice versa, it's a hobby.

I got into cloud computing 2 years ago.

Register an account at GCS, AWS and Azure and use up their free credits setting up al sorts of stuff.

Cloud is a completely new way of working, but it helps to have experience with the "old" tech like bare metal and regular VMs.

Sorry for the unstructured answers, I'm gtocery shopping.

based. more people should follow your lead considering a high-quality white worksman basically has a never-ending supply of work

I'm a developer making around 2.2k a month after taxes. I'm definitely going to quit and find another job soon, these niggers are underpaying me.

>Be Chad Qa
>Make 115k a year
>get paid to criticize the work overworked devs
>mfw when a Dev gets butthurt and says works on my machine ™

Attached: 03AA2AAE-02EC-4332-BE11-9BA7EDD015F7.png (1024x768, 280K)

Are you me? That's the same salary my company started me at last year for the same position/work. It was also the first job I accepted after graduating.

It really is a tough market out there.