What's your opinion of the MacOS menu bar?

What's your opinion of the MacOS menu bar?

Attached: 1518425690461.png (765x408, 285K)

Hello Uzair Ghani.

just use a statusbar

Attached: Screenshot 2018-12-01 at 2.11.59 PM.jpg (1920x1080, 305K)

It's a good system for single monitor computers.
Really starts to become a shitshow for multi-monitor though.

i think it's cool but also kinda inconsistent because out of nowhere you'll occasionally run into this software that has its own menubar implemented itself which makes the default one kinda useless, either way it doesn't matter because keyboard shortcuts are the way to go for everything but it does suck that i have to bend my hand in this weird fuckin awkward position on macs due to the command key placement *starts twerking*

You can map the Ctrl key to act as "Cmd" (or create altogether new shortcuts if you prefer).

Attached: modifier keys.png (1336x1162, 302K)

* great for discoverability
* always shows you the name of the current application
* easy, standard access to application preferences and windows
* can search menu bar items in the Help menu
* follows Fitts's law
* reduces screen clutter

It's one of the best parts of macOS

Brilliant. The only way a desktop operating system should function.

Unfortunately it's never been emulated well on Linux.

Microsoft has gone full retard trying to phase out their (shitty) on-window menubar and replacing it with nothing.

KDE plasma pretty much nailed it now. Works for everyone application. Even Gtk and electron

Yup, combining it with keybinds and removing the titlebar is godly

Reminds me of a mdi application with all the little windows inside which most people don't like.

Attached: How to Arrange the Display of Multiple MDI Child Forms in C#.gif (302x302, 16K)

it's great, very consistent and helps you navigate complex software (with menu submenus easily)

Attached: Screenshot 2018-12-01 at 14.09.08.png (2034x464, 1002K)

Useless. It doesn't free up any space on the screen, especially with their fucking huge dock.
And in case there's an app that doesn't support it, then it becomes wasted space.
In my opinion, the best way is to have the menu integrated into the window's title bar.
Unity had this (which is why it's a shame they killed it off), and MS has put it in VSC.
I wouldn't mind if they did it with every program. That would be the best. Integrate the system tray into the dock, and place the window menu in the title bar. That allows for the most screen real estate.

Attached: Capture.png (1366x768, 64K)

yeah, but what if you are autist with OCD (which I am). I get triggered as fuck when I see inconsistency. And MacOS is forcing applications to be consistent, that is to fill up the menu bar in a consistent way.

Without their guidelines, every fucking application would have a different looking menu

also, look at how bad this looks (different font sizes between titlebar and menu items). And what would you do if someone wants 10 menu items? push the title bar to the right?

I'd use macOS (I used it for about a year or so) but software compatibility will always kill it for me.

Same, I fucking hate when something is not themed properly.

>Useless. It doesn't free up any space on the screen

It can be auto-hidden.

>especially with their fucking huge dock.

It can be resized and also auto-hidden.

>And in case there's an app that doesn't support it, then it becomes wasted space.

Mac users avoid shitty Windows hack ports whenever possible for this reason.

>In my opinion, the best way is to have the menu integrated into the window's title bar.

This is a cool idea, except for a couple of things:

* Not all applications use a traditional document-centric UI, so a title bar for a filename is often unnecessary. The menu bar would therefore require its own dedicated space at the top of every window.

* You're not meant to be drilling down into menus on a regular basis. For more frequently used functions, toolbars provide one-click quick access.

* For those times when you do need to get into menus, it's still much faster to just slam your mouse cursor to the top of the screen.

useless

I like that you can search all the menu items

>never been emulated well on Linux.
What is Unity
RIP Unity

>you'll occasionally run into this software that has its own menubar
I've used macOS for over 10 years and never seen this. Any apps you can think of that do this?

>Any apps you can think of that do this?
blender

also mason cinema 4d... and MPV if you build it via home-brew

Holy fuck that port looks shitty.

Force Quit Finder sounds like a Tekken move and the key combination looks like the input. I don't like it.

You can change it.

I've always been a fan. OSX is actually a pretty well thought out OS for general productivity because it keeps things consistent and clean and the menu bar is a big part of that.

it's breddy gud.

It's good, but as with everything on osx I wish it was more scriptable

AppleScript, Automator, Services, Swift,…

Why can't I move it to the left or right side? Doesn't provide much freedom...

You actually bought (or installed) an Apple product expecting 'freedom'?

Attached: armchair.jpg (435x600, 57K)

Something tells me you don't know how Full-Screening apps on macOS works. The system (and you'll realize why it's better this way by using it) prefers that you put windows to full screen instead of maximizing them. When you do this, the dock and the menu bar will hide themselves, so that you can focus on just the content. Usually the tab bar and a set of window buttons are still visible, but you are encouraged to use keyboard shortcuts for everything that solely rests in the menu bar. A window titlebar is also rather special in macOS since it allows for drag and dropping around the actual file that's open, rename/lock it or even open the folders on the path where the file is saved. It's not just there to show the file's name, unlike in Windows, so there's actually some use to it.

It doesn't make much sense to put the menu bar to the sides of your window since they rely on text being typed out, not icons, you'd have a very thick bar which would only fill up to about 10% of its vertical real estate.

Pretty useful for the last decade but now more and more software stopped using menu bars so it's loosing its usefulness rapidly.

Attached: watszg16vd121.jpg (1365x2048, 402K)

That could work with East Asian languages that can be be written vertically, but Latin-based languages are horizontal. A vertical menu bar would have a variable width based on the current app’s longest menu name, with lots of wasted space around shorter menu names. NeXTSTEP had this (I suspect as a way to avoid an IP lawsuit from Apple) and it wasn’t very elegant.

Looks like shit

Technically brilliant. But I was raised on Windows, so I have baby duck issues actually operating it.

>which most unproductive people don't like
Fixed.

pinnacle of OS design.

It's good but Jow Forums is afraid to say something positive about Apple so no point in asking here.

>Really starts to become a shitshow for multi-monitor though.

True. There are ways around it though.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 8.49.17 AM.png (289x177, 23K)

What app?

BetterTouchTool

>mfw I can copy it and make it better on kde neon

Attached: 06D2F2C3-EDAF-458A-81DC-3498B1349CCD.jpg (300x369, 37K)

>it's a mactoddler manchild thinks his faggot toddlerOS belongs on Jow Forums episode

Attached: 1531935919445.png (400x1650, 367K)

Underrated post, UI scripting on macOS is an often overlooked but very useful feature.

>I'm this angry about the operating system people use

lol

What, like honestly, what software has stopped using menu bars?

>it's a mactoddler manchild thinks he's people episode
topkek

Attached: 1520904245195.jpg (821x753, 55K)

using hackintosh on desktop rn and its my favorite os desu

>creating arbitrary sub-desktops within the desktop

for what purpose

catalog.forEach(thread => {
if (thread.topic == apple) {
postAppleUsersAreGay();
});

const getReply = () =>{
if (applefag.emotion == angry) {
npc.laugh();
upload(`appleusersarenpcs_${Math.random()*294914}.png`);
postInsult();
}
};

>i have images saved on my harddrive to communicate my hatred for an operating system

lol

>t. SEETHING mactoddler

Attached: 1523870892784.png (813x1402, 369K)

>implying

Attached: dotheneedful.jpg (651x386, 55K)

Do you even know who took the first street shit at One Infinite Loo?

Attached: 1522688711245.png (695x1614, 1.06M)

So Steve Jobs was a stereotypical West Coast hippie. So what. Google and MS are literally run by Pajeets.

iPOOJEETS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Attached: 1519450805283.jpg (480x480, 26K)

At least come up with insults that half make sense. As if apple is more dominant in India than Microsoft

Do the needful street shitter.

Attached: 1526717889002.jpg (800x500, 40K)

t. his

Attached: 1543609184237.gif (616x573, 575K)

Tim Cook may be trying but Apple is playing a losing game in India (as has been widely reported over the past couple of years). Its business model of selling premium products at sustainably profitable prices doesn't work in third-world poverty holes where most people look at price as the single most important deciding factor and don't care about ads, tracking, bloatware, and malware.

Breaks Fitt's law for window title bars

>actually thinking the "desktop" is the smallest abstraction
Why not do away with windows entirely, and have just full screen phone apps, which your mind has clearly been twisted by?

Window titlebars are fairly large horizontally and can be in lots of different locations that aren't the top of the screen, so Fitts Law doesn't really apply here.

/thread

If you so choose, you can full-screen all your windows and use Mission Control / Dock menus / the Window menu / Cmd+Tab to switch between them.

Why not both?

Attached: mission control.jpg (2560x1600, 2.55M)

why do self-hating indian linux users get so mad about macos lol

>using fagOS to begin with

inferiority complex

The ability to type and search what submenu item you're looking for is utterly amazing. Everything is is trash or _just fine_.

why do street shitting ipajeets get the false impression that they'll ever belong on Jow Forums

don't cry my indian friend, you can still use linux. you'll be able to afford windows or linux one day, no need to be angry about desktop operating systems.

What aren't they mad about? Mad about mac, mad about windows, mad about android, mad about ios, mad about gpus, mad about fonts, etcetcetc.

As mentioned, which always boils manifests as sour grapes. It's why they attack it, rather than talking up their own Linux distro (or whatever). It's an easy way to spot such losers.

What is this Indian Mac shit people are trying to push. mac os is not dominant anywhere let alone India what are these people shitposting about

Attached: 1.png (1130x250, 199K)

Its alright buddy, wanna talk about it?

Linux is made by altruistic white men in first world countries. fagOS is shat out by H1B street shitters in commiefornia.

Attached: 1538883708623.jpg (835x899, 228K)

Then why is it so shit? Is it the 21st century equivalent of throwing smallpox-infected blankets over the fence?

>altruistic white men
Oh no, you're a deeply racist person. I'm so sorry for literally everyone you interact with. Please try to get better.

>these filenames
Can you imagine someone actually being mad about a desktop operating system enough to save images like this lmfao

It's either desperate neckbeards or desperate self-loathing Indians. In any case, Apple's continued success at the high end threatens their fragile self-esteem built around the flimsy opinion that Apple products are 100% marketing hype and really it's the billions of Android- and Windows-using cattle who are the true individualistic thinkers.

iFAGGOTS BTFO

Attached: 1540308514649.png (720x1000, 1.02M)

Successful, unsuccessful, who cares? How do you react with anything other than "k" when talking about competing OS, let alone break out your external harddrive filled with indian mac screenshots and spam them while fighting back angry tears

street shitting ipajeets have defended this

To be fair, it's usually one, maybe two unpaid shill losers shitting all over a thread. Fuckwits of that kind are rare - but loud, with their inferiority complexes screaming at them to start bait threads, make stupid posts, etc.

This. When you have no life except attacking people who hold a different opinion than you, you can dedicate yourself to making lots of noise. All flash, no photo.

>I have been defeated with logical arguments
>I must result to homophobic insults!

Don't feed the troll

iFaggots have defended taking bbc up their asses.

mpv?

Attached: Screenshot 2018-12-02 at 01.51.41.png (720x454, 122K)

Of course they would, that's their fetish. Apple's logo is literally a gay pride badge.

Attached: 1517069095027.jpg (700x950, 41K)

Blender, gimp, anything in x (inkscape)

>fagOS
Found your problem.

Attached: Screenshot_20181201_161957.png (1920x1080, 1.37M)

So shitty Linux ports then, because Linux DEs more or less follow Microsoft's lead when it comes to UI (while unsuccessfully trying to ape Apple's, like all those cringey OS X skins circa 2005).

Why ARE Apple users predominantly homosexual?