Why do you use desktop environments(KDE, Xfce, GNOME, Budgie etc?

Why do you use desktop environments(KDE, Xfce, GNOME, Budgie etc?
Why not i3 or dwm?

Attached: 768px-KDE_logo.svg.png (768x768, 309K)

Because I don't have autism.

Have you ever tried i3?

/thread

Because I like the workflow of gnome.
I like it's paradigm and its by far the most "ergonomic" desktop environment with HIG revolving around keyboard + mouse use rather than "just mouse" or "just keyboard" like every other operating system/desktop environment combination.

Extensions are great, with GSconnect being the one I cherish the most. They recently introduced an update to their SMS support (and it's actually usable now) and I'm fairly sure the only thing that it's beaten by at it's iOS/macOS integration.
The unlimited workspace feature is great.
The "view all windows on the workspace" feature (mac ripped it off with mission control) is great.
I always found the "minimize" button a a halfassed solution.

And out of all the desktop environments on GNU/Linux it has by far the best software. Evolution is easily the best email client in Linux world (and the only one usable in a semi-corporate or straight up corporate environment)

Gnome has just enough customizability to not make you feel like someone tries to force his ideas onto you but not retardedly a lot like KDE where you have the impression you have to set up every single application from the ground up because "sane defaults" is an idea noone heard of.

Attached: Zrzut ekranu z 2018-12-01 17-59-37.png (569x694, 53K)

Because I use XFCE. It's lightweight, and if I want to snap windows I can use hotkeys. I also don't tend to have masses of stuff open at any given time, can cycle through workspaces, and it just werks(TM)

>using an OS
I reā€”solder the hex values directly into rom and then execute per instruction address.

>Why not i3 or dwm?
Desktop environements where not made so minimalfags could jerk off about not using thems

because I use one that was default (gnome) and dont care about de as long as it does not stand on the way by crashing or doing weird shit. Its just here to launch programs.
And for work I have Windows machine issued to me, where its the same way - it just there to launch programs.

I rarely need more than a terminal with a few tabs and maybe a browser window. All I need is super+T to launch a terminal and super+arrow to snap a window. I have never found it necessary to have an autistic tiling set up. I don't mind title bars. I don't feel like I really need to save 10px

>he uses a compute
> not just compiling in your brain

fucking brainlets

I have, I hate that the keybinds resemble vi while being missplaced one to the right. It's pretty cool and all but I hate having to set up my wallpaper with feh and having to set up keybinds for screen backlight, volume, and keyboard layouts. There's so much the desktop environment adds for you is not worth it. Btw I use gnome for this reasons, is better keybinded than other DEs by default, so fucking comfy. If you like i3 gnome should be the top DE to use on a modern computer

>he uses his brain
DUNGAA MAKE THINKBOX GO DUNBER NO THING NED JAMMA THONG THINKBOX

>thinkbox good
>brain bad

>exposing your brain directly to WAN

./4chanbacktrace.sh | brainpwn
connecting to host anonsbrain.neuralnet
spawning shell
connected
whoami
root
cat /etc/embarassingmemories
I'm a dingus

Get pwned

Because i use emacs

DELET THIS!!

stuff like backlight, media button, and support for external monitors/projectors i am constantly switching to and from.
its a much smoother experience overall

This. No reason not to use Xfce or KDE.

What's the best way to get systemdless KDE?
Slackware?

I3 and other tilling bs makes computer usage slower and less productive.

Slackware yes

Because I can use KDE Plasma with a tiling script..

>not running all scripts with bash -x
enjoy running something you dont know what is even doing

dwm is truly the gentleman's wm

Attached: dwm_classical.png (1280x800, 1.44M)

10/10 baby

I do use i3 though, it permanently stopped me from hopping between various DEs. For floating, openbox+tint2 is good though, or at least go for MATE or XFCE.

>doesn't rebind jkl; to hjkl immediately like every other i3 user

Aww thanks, here's a 2bwm config for you ;)

Attached: 2bwm_Sorceress.png (1280x800, 227K)

jkl; is the patrician choice. If anything, you should bind hjkl to jkl; in Vi/Vim

ty

gentoo

Because Openbox is legit the most intelligent manner of managing the X interface with the computing device. If you are not greeted by a console login when you boot and must manually startx, then you utilize your mouth to polish many cocks.

wow so all i3 users are meets that have never used vi? Seems reasonable

I used gnome for a hot minute when I first tried linux out but it bothered me that I could only use half windows if I didn't want something fullscreen so I switched to i3-gaps. I wanted to use 2bwm but whatever is on the aur for it didn't work at all because it just gave me black screen. It's probably for the best, though, because I hear 2bwm is really hard to use which is why everyone either uses i3 or bspwm for window managers.

i like bloat

having separate workspaces helps me focus on one task at a time because I have attention deficit issues

how fat is your mother
is being fat healthy
use dwm then

I use whatever. XFCE is super easy and zero effort, but I've used JWM, MATE, IceWM (kinda wish this shit didn't need so much config), Window Maker, whatever, and if I'm not using a full DE, I'll either use Xfe or PCManFM for my file manager.

I'm still kind of confused about anyone using GNOME at all.
Seriously, from my experience using it,
>Gnome has just enough customizability to not make you feel like someone tries to force his ideas onto you
is just a fucking lie.
It's just deeply unpleasant and feels decidedly un-ergonomic and un-intuitive and it's barely customizable.

like, I've never liked KDE terribly much and certainly haven't been a fan of its out-of-the box configuration, but I'd much rather use KDE over GNOME 3

alll this bloat
just use dwm

I don't get what you mean by "un-intuitive" because even coming from windows only usage all seems quite intuitive to me.

tiling WM's look really attractive for being so lightweight, I'm curious if they are suitable for use with programs that need to draw their own UI's?

GNOME is made for no one.
What office would want to teach their employees an entirely new workflow for no reason?
For personal use why would someone willingly use the Linux "walled garden" when Windows exists?
Both wont let you customize shit, and they treat their users like toddlers but at least you can play vidya with Windows.

Kinda ironic that the GNOME extension you cherish the most is just an implementation of a KDE program.

Your last two paragraphs are nothing but lies.
Almost every single GNOME program I can think of is inferior to its qt counterpart.
And GNOME has NO customizability by design.

People generally don't care about customization. They just launch a program they need for work or leisure and that's it.

And I still don't understand what do you mean by "gnome workflow" and what makes it so different. Everybody seems to just mindlessly write this shit. I'm coming from windows only usage, and its not that much different really. Maybe on multi-monitor setup it would differ, but I can't comment on that one.

I use Cinnamon when I'm just fucking around doing pleb shit (most of the time) and i3 when I want to hyper-focus and get shit done. They're both great in their own respects.

>or dwm
stop with this autistic meme
it doesn't even use xcb

Slackware ships with KDE4 by default, so look into switching to -current if you want to use PLASMA. LinuxQuestions forum has a sticky in the Slackware sub-forum just for this.

xcb is bloat

i agree, that's why you use TTY only right?

honestly, if you are not using a tiling wm on a laptop you are a retarded nigger monkey.

On laptop it makes the least sense with its tiny screen.

Huh? The reason its good for laptops is it being mouse free.

>People generally don't care about customization. They just launch a program they need for work or leisure and that's it.
One of the greatest appeals of GNU/Linux is customization and freedom.
I don't understand why you aren't still using Windows.

Because I use linux for digital art, 3d editing and games in between.

and because KDE is fucking great.