/spg/ - Smartphone General

tiny palm edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much you spent on good/bad phone

Previous:

Attached: palm.png (1420x1500, 505K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/results.php3?sMakers=58,80&s4Gs=2,4
gsmarena.com/results.php3?sMakers=58,80&s4Gs=2,4,12,17
pocketnow.com/xiaomi-new-york-event
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for NOTE 9

Pocoshit
>poor camera
6T
>slightly better camera
Note 9
>ebin camera
so it's a question of what you're willing to settle for, the best or bust.

Personally I'm a male model so I want the best cameraphone I can buy for my pictures, Apple is out of the question so I bought the Note 9. It's fucking amazing.

POCO
6T
>glorious stockish android
Note 9
>triple the price for touchjizz

Stop buying chink phones. Start buying nip phones.

Attached: 1514967665716.jpg (1066x1600, 118K)

>8.0
Might as well be on kitkat

Attached: spg-akari.jpg (1238x1080, 582K)

based
for me, its the s9

Everybody seemes to talk about it yet nobody I see owns one.

I have a Note 9 and I've more than made my peace with it. In principle touchwiz sucks, sure but it looks good and they made some specific changes to adapt it for the Note and I wouldn't want to miss it. Clearly a virtual homebutton is inferior to the gestures that you get for example with an iPhone X.

Apple makes a good camera too, Note 9 is simply ebin though. Basically like a pizza with everything.

>still no pie beta 2 for the normal size exynos s9
next time i'm not buying the manlet version, someone uploaded the s9+ version already ree

It has Pie.

Attached: 1533820942899.png (1228x1066, 968K)

>debloat it
>disable bugsby
>get new android one UI
I'd say it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

note 9 has gestures though
they're built into one ui and if you dont have it you can download one handed mode from good lock that gives you great native gestures

Should have gotten an OP6/6T instead, unfortunately. Sony phones are real shit value these days. This coming from a longtime fanboy.

didnt you know the s in /spg/ stands for south korea?
get out of here weeb

I don't think people who buy the 6T care about the camera. I like that it fares well in most situations but I'm pretty sure most people buy OnePlus phones for the software.

>Still calling it touchwiz
T. Someone who hasn't ever use a newer Samsung phone

Reminder to register your Note 9 for the coming Linux on Dex programme.
www.linuxondex.com

I'll check that out but for the time being I'd rather keep it stock. New to Android and I'm still learning.

Attached: Linux on DeX.png (752x465, 141K)

Just got approved for financing for the pixel 3 XL, I've never had a flagship phone before do you think I should go for it?

Nougat is still based right?

19th for Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite

this thing punches above it's weight category in nearly every regard. main drawbacks are no NFC for payments, microUSB port and just ok camera.

you do get a fairly capable if older chip, 4GB/64GB RAM/storage in the better version, and a headphone jack, decent LCD screen (though notched, if that's a downside to you)

But it's like 1/5th the price of a Note 9.

Attached: mia2lite.jpg (600x551, 44K)

goodlock is part of samsungs firmware though
check it out, it has tons of neat shit they've now implemented into android pie
one hand touch is the best gesture system to hit android

Get the Note 9 instead, it's a much better phone. Zero comparsion, honestly.

Pixel 3 XL has to be the worst flagship out there

if you can't buy it outright why are you buying one at all

If a nice camera is your only concern, go Pixel. But I agree with the shills that Samsung has been doing good recently with headphone jacks and expandable storage and solid devices.

For me it would be stock Android that I would want, so something like the Pocophone (if it supported my LTE bands) or 6T (if it had a headphone jack), or I guess the Pixel but Google really screwed the pooch with the design of the 3XL with that ugly notch.

Ended up going with a cheap Android One phone , since I don't need a flagship.

I don't really have 1,000 to spend on a phone all at once especially with Christmas right around the corner, I'm just really sick of this Kyocera shit brick I have now. I just wanna know if it is useable

don't buy an expensive phone if you can't afford it retard
get some chinkshit to tide you over or a second hand old flag ship like an s8

Who's asking you to pay cash and buy the Note 9? Get approved for financing on the Note 9 instead. Disregard the Pixels entirely.

Recommended custom roms for 1+6?

>takes a loan out to buy a smartphone in 2018
fucking get a Pocophone or kys seriously lol at financing for a fucking phone, you're like Jamal from the ghetto financing his latest iPhone so he can stunt on his fellow destitutes.

I don't really care about a camera, my gf has an iPhone 8 if I need any quality pictures taken, I'm mainly looking at the stock Android as a good buying point and the water proofing is a big plus also I already have Google homes posted around the house and some hue bulbs so I might as well emerse myself completely in the ecosystem at this point

It's usable, but pretty much anything would be usable besides what you've got, you don't need to spend $1000 or get financing to afford that much. There's plenty of good options in the mid-range too, especially with Android One.

what do people even play on these "gamer phones"? I'm asking unironically, not shitting on their hobbies or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

Attached: P_setting_fff_1_90_end_600.jpg (600x600, 40K)

What are problems regarding the poco?
I read a lot of good critiques but I'm interested in those who had problem with it.

antenna dont work on some countries

taps on the edge of the screen register slower than those in the center. It's annoying when you type rapidly. All models have this problem, no exceptions. It's not a software issue, so we'll probably never see a fix.

I bought a Japanese flip smartphone, the freetel musashi, 2 or 3 years ago. It's ok, but beside being a flip phone there is no reason to buy it.

Anything good on Enui or should I ignore its things?
Is Hiboard worth giving a shot w permissions?

Pubg, the new Diablo, and some other shitty mobile games. I think people really only buy them for the aesthetic.

It has limited American LTE band support. But if you're in Europe or Asia it's a GOAT option, although I don't know how the camera is or have ever had one in hand because I live in Canada and it wouldn't get 4G most of the time.

Attached: 1540233371699.gif (500x281, 1.4M)

Probably same thing as they play on normal phones, "gaming gear" is a huge meme and if you're gamur enough to pay extra for plastic assault rifle magazine on your mobo, you sure are gamur enough to pay for asus logo on your ordinary high end chinkphone. About vidya on androids, smartphones have all of the good emus now (ppsspp is ridiculously good now, there are also psx emus, drastic, even dolphin for gamecube), some ports are great too (many rockstar games from 3d era, final fantasy games), native games are often fun as well. There is a lot of stuff to pick from.

Attached: gigabyte-g1-assassin-2.jpg (1280x1024, 574K)

>looking for cases for my new nokia 7+ in local stores
>"dude what is a nokia"
>"omg i can't believe they still exist"
>"don't you mean xiaomi?"
Looks like I'll have to import, I g-guess.

What kind of delay are we talking about here? Like does the usual dude notice it?
I never use cameras so it's no biggie, and since I live in europe I guess it's all good.

Thank you both.

The music player and the cloud service/file manager are pretty good on EMUI 8. For the rest, uninstall what you're able to, really. At least they let us remove all that shit. I actually like EMUI more than MIUI, Lenovo UI and Touchwiz so far. The default launcher is meh, but if you change it it's all good. Emui doesn't deserve the hate it gets here.

i have a regular phone and i've emulated GBA and DS games on them

i've googled and supposedly anus gaming smartphone has super-duper screen with high refresh rate. i guess that's nice, and it makes it more than just a rebranded high-end chinkphone after all.

Honestly some gamer hardware (I'm thinking mostly about mice and keyboards) are pretty nice, and I have a "gaming laptop" since my work requires me to run heavier programs that your average laptop just cannot run.
But paying extra for leds and brushed aluminum is retarded beyond belief.

Does it really not have extra physical buttons? A gaming phone should be one like Xperia Play. What a joke.

> It's not a software issue, so we'll probably never see a fix.
Didn't some user claim it's already been patched a few days ago?

Like the common things that people consider as taxing mobile games seems to be whatever version of the Asphalt racing game series is on, Lineage 2 which is some MMO I think, Fortnite or the gorillion mobile BR clones, Mobile Legends or the gorillion monile Dota clones.

you generally only tap rapidly when playing games or typing. I don't play mobile games, so I can't say anything about that. When typing, it's not only noticable, but straight annoying. Tap a, then immediately g on the keyboard, it will become ga and so on. You can kinda avoid it with swipe typing or whatever it is called. Google "pocophone touch lag" to see the whole userbase having this problem.

it's easy to play emulated RPGs while waiting around in public without looking like an autist

>play digimon links on my s9
>looks as good as my ps vita, a dedicated games console
what the fug

I recently tried the XZ2, it had some really shitty input issues. Delicate taps simply did not register. Is it the same on the XZ3?

It won't grant you social status or attract women because of its plastic body.

all of these run perfectly on normal flagship phones. why do people buy gay looking phones for that?

Handheld consoles have been a meme for years now.

Oh wow yeah this sounds annoying. Do you know of any phone like the poco without this problem?
I almost only use my phone for internet (youtube Jow Forums etc) so I really don't care about the camera, fingerprint reader or stuff. Do you know if the A8 (2018) is any good?

Canada
Bell
$600
Considering getting some cheap Chinese phone or something. My Xperia Z1 isn't that old but the screen is scratched pretty badly in one spot and the case is bent. replacing the digitizer gives me inferior picture quality unless I shell the fuck out for Sony to do it. Should I fix my current phone or buy a new one.

oh i must have missed your point, yeah there's no reason for 'gamer phones'.

6S+ is fine even today, iPhones have longer lifespans than Androids. But most modern Androids are fairly secure, make sure you get one that at least gets security updates.

Yeah it's pretty gross but I'm sure there's a market for that, just not you or I.

Hey /spg/, first time smartphone buyer looking for a good entry-level phone.
>in the US
>Carrier is Verizon
>budget is ~$600 with a little flexibility
>Size-wise I don't have much of a preference
>Features: has a good camera, a good DAC, expandable storage or 64GB+ of storage
I'd mainly be using the phone for simple, day to day tasks like listening to music, watching movies/shows and browsing the internet. I have no intention to game/emulate on it but would still like a phone with a semi-relevant processor and a screen with good resolution/good ppi. I'm leaning towards the LG v30, but am open to other suggestions.

LG V20

I'll fix my post
Canada
$600
Bell
>great screen
>relatively fast processor (just YouTube and GBA emulator)
>expandable memory
>removable battery

Your main concern is the LTE bands if you're going Chinkphones.

gsmarena.com/results.php3?sMakers=58,80&s4Gs=2,4

2 and 4 are basically required to get 4G service, but ideally you'd get 12/17

gsmarena.com/results.php3?sMakers=58,80&s4Gs=2,4,12,17

You could get away with just 2 and 4 though, at least for now, and if you're not in a dense city or rural area. I just searched Huawei and Xiaomi I'm sure there's other brands you could add.

>My Xperia Z1 isn't that old
that's a 2013 phone, how the fuck is it still working? The specs are garbage, get a new fucking phole holy shit lad get the 6T

Fixed in MIUI Beta 8.11.23:

Kitkat was even better.

It's even worse, it has a gamepad attachment but it's just another touchscreen.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

How about the V20 / V30? That's already surprisingly cheap

Xiaomi's US event on the weekend
pocketnow.com/xiaomi-new-york-event

I need a new phone recommendation. I want one with powerful specs and allows me to easily customize almost all aspects of the software (easy rooting). I also want to be able to flash custom ROMs (any recommendations for this also?) and perhaps run some dual booting scenario. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with T-Mobile. Any recommendations?

they make that useless shit but not pic related anymore

Attached: B006FXY9LC_img2_lg.jpg (800x663, 87K)

Oneplus 6 or 6t hands down
And if so, stick with Oxygen OS. It's damn close to AOSP. If not, LineageOS is available for it.

agagagagagagagagaga
qpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpq
I mashed the keys really fast. I messed around with multitouch tester too and I just can't see the issue. I'm on older miui version without any fixes.

>tl;dr
>US/Verizon/~$1k+ Budget
>preferred features: ~5.5inch screen, strong antenna(?), fair battery life, option for durable case
The last smartphone that I had which wasn’t an iphone was
>Droid Eris
It was SO BAD that it was pulled a short time after I bought it. I got a great contract to compensate that I was able to renew just once. I didn’t need to buy a phone since I got a free iPhone hand-me-down from a fed buddy (they already get them at half price) that I could jailbreak but my contract is up and this thing is beat up. I need to upgrade, but I haven’t kept up with mobiles. What do?
The only thing I’d even consider mentionable with these iPhones is they’re a little more secure. I use the 6S+ and the screen is probably as tolerable as possible without taking up too much pocket space since the otter box or whatever protective cases are a must.
What are some things I should take into consideration when finding the perfect phone? I get pretty shit signal in my area, and I even opted in for a signal extender, so any high quality antenna is a big plus. I mostly just use my phone to lurk/web search, read PDFs, and communicate, so most other apps/features are bonuses. Security would be ideal but I’m sure everyone has backdoors into all of these phones anyway.

oh im on 5,1 still waiting on 8 to drop, anything good on 5.1 ?

I had the Nexus 5X, I sold it before it bootlooped on me but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that LG/Google sold me a ticking time bomb.

Overall LG's skin is pretty gross last time I checked, fairly good hardware if it doesn't bootloop on you. Maybe worth the risk.

I bought my mom a fire HD 8" what facebook app should I install on there for her

None. Tell her to get off of Facebook.

why'd you delete the bit about your Xperia Z1? lol

Okay. I'll consider that. Any other options or advice?

he got doxed because he was the only person in Canada who got the Z1

That new Kyocera phone in an older thread was a Verizon exclusive I think, already rugged as hell and legit sapphire screen so basically scratch-proof.

Just bought an XA1.
maybe I could have done better but all my previous phones were free poverty phones from my carrier, I'm not picky with performance and the tall bezels make it feel great for one handed use.

Attached: 1543592477558.jpg (184x184, 34K)

XZ1 Compact a cute!!!

Attached: xz1c.png (845x613, 10K)

I forgot half of the post and it just looked retarded split into two so I condensed it and figured the Xperia part wasn't relevant to what new phone I should get so I didn't add it again.

What about an XZ1 to keep things the same

xperia xz4 leak is too good to be true
i really have my doubts that they're smart enough to bring back their side finger print scanner

i have my doubts that you're smart enough to not buy it, but here we are

>MIUI
>stockish

Attached: 1491623576549.jpg (568x533, 55K)

>The Pocophone boots Android 8.1 Oreo. Being a Xiaomi phone, however, it's got a thoroughly customized proprietary layer of MIUI on top, version 9.6, but now it's called MIUI for Poco. The difference - there is a new Poco default theme, which is very reminiscent of the Nova Launcher, plus faster UI animations and app launch compared to the regular MIUI. Essentially, this means that Poco F1 comes with a cleaner, more stock looking Android than regular Xiaomi phones. But it's only about looks and perceptions - all the extra proprietary features are still there.

fortnite, fgo, pubg

Attached: 1535759883797.jpg (1024x521, 54K)

>all the extra proprietary features are still there.
>stockish

They are, there's a separate button for scanning the fingerprint. I'm more concerned about the three meme cameras, knowing Sony they'll just be completely wasted.

Maybe they finally licensed whatever US patent was keeping them from enabling it in that 3rd world country.
Yep. The hardware will be great, the software will be shit. So it goes with Sony.

Dude it's MIUI with an app drawer and a different icon pack. Not even close to deserve being called "stockish".

Anyone know what's the best carrier network unlock software to get these days.