Is this language gonna die in like 2 years time?

Is this language gonna die in like 2 years time?

Attached: nim-programming-language-nimrod.jpg (900x506, 68K)

Maybe, maybe not. I do like the language but also I do not want to use it. Id rather use a meme language like rust

No. Its gonna be sleeper language. Creeps up under everyone's nose, in the next 5 years.

Most of these langauges - people never asked for them. What they can do or solve is either trivial or could easily be abstracted away with some library without sacrificing the familiarity and compatibility with other libs.

based and redpilled

this 2bh

C++ is a mess of a language with zero modern features, where every new pseudo-feature is just a kludgey best-effort attempt to fix long-standing problems with the language without breaking backwards compatibility. The only only way to fix C++ at this point is to break backwards compatibility, at which point you might as well just use an entirely new language where all of those modern features already exist, instead of waiting for another few years for ISO to catch up. That's where Rust (and, to a lesser extent, Zig) comes in. Rust is well on its way to being as fast as C++, it is just as abstract as C++, and it has a modern build system and fewer kludges.

Java was originally made to replace C++, but it was never able to do it entirely because of its relatively poor performance. Certainly, it took the enterprise realm by storm because of its more modern-at-the-time capabilities, but Java hasn't aged well. Its syntax is very inexpressive compared to Kotlin and Clojure, which are both seamless drop-in replacements for Java, save for more expressive, maintainable, and ergonomic syntax. Both of these langs also have superior tools for safe concurrency, which is critical now that the average person has 4 logical processors in their pocket, 4-8 in their work computer, and hundreds in the servers that provide the services they use- enterprise services, which are often Java, go figure. It kinda comes full circle.

The JVM is an order of magnitude better than it was even 10-15 years ago, but it is still quite heavy. Existing populat non-JVM alternatives for enterprise software are interpreted, like Node and Python. Thus, they don't really fix the overhead problems that come with the JVM. Languages like Go and Nim (Kotlin too, now that its LLVM toolchain is approaching stable) are still garbage collected, thus they have more runtime overhead than C++, but they are still much lighter than Java and its interpreted alternatives.

brief cont.
long story short, there are 3 realms where a new solution is needed:
>places where performance is critical and abstraction is immensely helpful
currently C++, possibly to be usurped by Rust
>places where overengineered, unmaintainable object models runs rampant but the JVM is fine
currently Java, being replaced by Kotlin, Clojure and Scala
>places where the JVM has an adverse impact on users but C++/Rust-levels of granularity is unnecessary
currently Java, Node, and Python, gradually being replaced by Nim and Go

this was directed at you, by the way:
I certainly asked for them, and I know a lot of my colleagues did as well.

Has to live to die.

cont.
Disregard those posts, I suck cocks.

edit: and now my top voted comment is about C++, thanks guys

How can something that never lived die?

compile-to-C languages are shit, nim is not going to die, its just going to linger around like PyPy or Cython

There's no point to it when we already have D

M# master race reporting in

But D is already dead

D was never alive

This thread again... just use c# like everyone else does.

Does anyone remember the guy who was shilling Nim super hard here like a year ago?

He'd say stuff like "With the Nin programming language, I can..."

Attached: 1509920805464.jpg (821x869, 88K)

this