/sm/ - software minimalism general

>What is computing minimalism?
linfo.org/unix_philosophy.html
suckless.org/philosophy/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better and faster performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
>Obscure minimal
Plan 9, FreeDOS, Minix3, Genode
>Meme minimal
Alpine, Crux, Void, GuixSD, BSD, SourceMage
>Autistic minimal
Arch, Gentoo, OpenBSD, LFS
>Most sane minimal
Debian (netinst)

>Minimal base Programs
>WM (window manager)
dwm
>Web browsers
Dillo, Surf, Links, w3m
>File Manager
Terminal
>Video/Music player
mpv or cmus
>Text editors
GNU nano or Vim
>Image viewer
FEH or sxiv
>Shells
mksh or dash
>Terminal
st

>Useful links
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Without Systemd: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>Website development
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/
tools.suckless.org/quark/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/

Previous Thread:

Attached: debian.png (454x600, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u-06a36HsrI
web.archive.org/web/20090701055933/http://harmful.cat-v.org:80/software
infoworld.com/article/3048737/open-source-tools/stali-distribution-smashes-assumptions-about-linux.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It seems like luke got a lot of ideas from this thread. Lol

youtube.com/watch?v=u-06a36HsrI

>talks about software minimalism
>non-programmer
>never read source code
I just can't relate to his opinions

the extended table seems to trigger a lot of people
anyone knows the origin of it? I haven't found it anywhere on wayback machine

Attached: cat-v harmful extended.png (2421x2522, 2.93M)

The origin was Uriel's obsessed mind. I was really sad when he offed himself.

Currently rocking Arch, dwm, st and dmenu. Thinking of switching to Gentoo though for the ultimate minimalist DIY experience; any Arch users here who made the switch?

Attached: dwm_classical.png (1280x800, 1.44M)

but someone had to screenshot it from somewhere
people offing themselves all the time

LOOK HOW MINIMUL I AM GEE

Attached: 2018-12-01-1543701764.png (1600x900, 1.88M)

Hm, I dunno. I only remember the one on the right, the one on the left looks like an older revision of the software page.

this, he's a larping script kiddie. I was about to say that he was bullied in school but actually I would projecting with that one, I'm the one who was bullied and that's why I can call out his bullshit haha

my dude, fucken openttd yeeeeeeah buildin trains n oil tankers n shit

>source code is so minimal, no point reading it

>nerds be nerds

Do you hate this thread?

arch is not minimal

Don't be discouraged. The are anons who derail the thread and autistically say gnu is bloat, gentoo is bloat. Happens a lot. They are autistic minimal or they just want this thread dead

got pape and dots?

Script kiddies can't hack shit if the software is minimal.

Script kiddies can't do javascript attacks if the browser is minimal or if you disable javascript.

Sorry user, I lost the dots. If it helps the colour scheme is Gruvbox Dark and the wallpaper is Ophelia by JW Waterhouse. The pic in the fetch is Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May, also by Waterhouse

Attached: WaterhouseJW_GatherYeRosebudsWhileYeMay.jpg (2216x3000, 2.5M)

Less code, Smaller attack surface.
>I just can't relate to his opinions
Cause you're a bloatfaggot that probably writes shit code.

I wouldn't be surprised if Systemd devs or Desktop environments devs browsed this thread. If you are, fuck you and fuck your bloated code.

Attached: quote-one-of-my-most-productive-days-was-throwing-away-1-000-lines-of-code-ken-thompson-29-37-61.jpg (850x400, 53K)

Ah dw, I'm pretty new to Jow Forums so even shitposts are informative ;)

Attached: 1543698883679.jpg (489x499, 27K)

should I try the coveted dwm + Gentoo setup?

Attached: 3322236544.jpg (512x510, 31K)

Gentoo is NOT minimal

pirated windows 10 (not debloated) +a whole library full of steam games would be more minimal than some of your setups
fuck neck yourselves, pseudo-minimals

it can be if you install it properly
most installs of gentoo are far from minimal though. is sad

Can someone explain this meme? Surely any source-based distro is only as bloated as you make it.

>ii is a minimalist FIFO and filesystem-based IRC client. It creates an irc directory tree with server, channel and nick name directories. In every directory a FIFO in file and a normal out file is created.
>The in file is used to communicate with the servers and the out files contain the server messages. For every channel and every nick name there are related in and out files created. This allows IRC communication from command line and adheres to the Unix philosophy. example
>Join a channel as follows: $ echo "/j #wmii" > in and ii creates a new #wmii (channel) directory with in and out files.

>irc/irc.oftc.net
>|-- #wmii
>| |-- in
>| `-- out
>|-- #ii
>| |-- in
>| `-- out
>|-- #suckless
>| |-- in
>| `-- out
>|-- chanserv
>| `-- out
>|-- nickserv
>| |-- in
>| `-- out
>|-- out
>`-- in
Are they fucking serious with this shit?

I think he means that the package manager runs on python and in derp mentality python is bloated

I'm wanting to try it as well
Do you not build it up from a base install? If so is it not as minimal as you choose to make it, same as Arch?

Attached: 1543685404145.jpg (480x640, 67K)

I can see why people use crux. It's like gentoo without portage, right?

Has Knuth ascended to ultimate minimalism?
>"I currently use Ubuntu Linux, on a standalone laptop—it has no Internet connection."
>pic is his desktop
>doesn't even have an email address

Attached: screen.jpg (1024x768, 203K)

Honestly, i just want people to stop using desktop environments. Like what in the fuck is wrong with you?

Go back to windows 7 or 10, you uneducated cunt...

wow, what the fuck did he use to write that equation? is just plaintext or he compiled from something?

nvm I figured it out

There needs to be moderation with minimalism. ultimate minimalism is retarded.

Just like with alcohol, you don't drink yourself to death. You drink the right amount of poison so you don't die from alcohol. I hate anons who are autistically minimal and derail this thread.

as an ultra minimalist I support the death penalty for alcohol consumption

>as an ultra minimalist
stopped reading there

reposting my shitty dwm webem

Attached: output1.webm (1280x1024, 867K)

and here it is not insanely compressed

Attached: dwm_dual.jpg (2880x1024, 1.02M)

please derail this thread user.

What compositor are you using? I get flickering when resizing my windows with xcompmgr

>fvmw.out
I found a typo!

Hey user

I notice your CPU says 4

Mine does too when it says core i3-6100u @4 2.3 gzh

What does the 4 mean?

but that's unusable if you open more than 6 windows

post my pastas from the other threads then
I'd do it but I have 9 finals coming up and I can't be assed to do it. I should be le studying but here I am posting jewish chicks instead
thread count
that's 1600x900, obviously you can fit more with a higher resolution. There's many different modes and tags for any kind of window layout.

Attached: 2018-12-01-1543719370.png (1600x900, 971K)

>I'd do it
yea, you hate this thread a lot

lotsa lil' zoomers on here that need proper education
stop giving me you's so I can memorize these disease states pls

Attached: 2018-11-29-1543473949.png (2880x1024, 2.17M)

I bet a lot of i3 using minimulists also believe in free speech
Guess what, freezepeach is literally bloat.
There is no merit to stupid/weak ideas and they don't even deserve to be expressed in anyway. All they do is clutter up mediums and make it difficult to ascertain the truth.
\*they*\ have used le freedom of speach to create such an intricate web of lies and bullshit, both real and virtual, that you have no choice but to beleive what is told to you, it's impossibe to form an opinion otherwise.
The dominant ideology should be the only one allowed to express itself. If it's weak it'll be replaced by a stronger, more prosperous one developed by who people who matter, not average purple haired tumblerina on twitter/facebook/insstashit or half asian goblino on plebbit/pol/4shit/8shit.

By the way, this isn't a novel idea and is applied today. Think about the only ideology that really "matters" in these times, who created it, and who benefits from it.
ok now i really have to go study

Attached: 2018-11-28-1543435594.png (1600x900, 2.58M)

why does every minimalism thread get derailed by spergs posting screenshots of their desktops?

No, its literally worse than sic in every way other than pure memes.

why should I use suckless over urxvt?

other than that... I still can't figure out how to open tabbed zathura

try harder
and yes I know I need to fix the font

Attached: 2018-12-02-1543733526.png (1095x789, 740K)

bad font

Anyone use their irc and like it?

yeah kinda, had to heavily rewrite it though. logout messages tend to come as private messages for some reason and bloat the file hierarchy
you still need to write a front-end, mine was tmux and tail -f with custom filter
although I would do complete rewrite for that, my filter was yet again parsing time and usernames (to hash them and decide on color thus every user is displayed in different one) thus I'm parsing something that was already parsed and serialized again and could be in simpler-to-parse format
overall I like the FIFO idea, looks like interface that could work on Plan 9 well
network code is also pretty bad, has no TLS by default (requires patch which is meh) and managing it could be completely outsourced and containing no network or crypto code at all
so in summary it's pretty bad

Fake, Uriel was a fan of dynamic linking.

that entry is there since the first iteration of the list
web.archive.org/web/20090701055933/http://harmful.cat-v.org:80/software

Pls tell.

>anything with systemd
>minimal
pick one

>>File Manager
>Terminal
kek

ranger is pretty bloat.
ls, cd, rm, mkdir, cp. etc etc is all you need

Ranger is bloat because it's a collection of hackable and modular scripts. That's what the Unix philosophy linked in the OP is all about. Unix is bloat. I don't know why you fags insist that every user should script their own tools from scratch. Ranger isn't even the only option. There's mc, noice, vifm, etc., all of which will significantly improve your file managing experience at the cost of ~1MiB disk space.

I tried out Midnight Commander a few days ago and still haven't bothered installing a graphical file manager because mc suffices

the terminal is your file manager. I'd rather type commands out than use shitty software like ranger or any gay ass TUI program.

Has anyone manually purged linux kernel bloat in debian

Is TempleOS not considered minimal?

ofc it is
is TempleOS considered usable?

For writing HolyC? Yes! The only verified system in the world to properly handle HolyC. So why haven't you installed it? It only requires PS2 ports for input and a bios intterupt call!

I need a Kodi alternative. Doesn't have to have all of its features. All I want is the ability to control it with a controller and browse my media, really.

terry is a full blown bloatnigger

>uses Ubuntu with DE
>has fear and delusions (schizophernia)
>suicide (made a bloated mess)
what a bloated faggot.

Attached: TAD.png (450x399, 223K)

mpv? what are you looking for?

If mpv has a controller-supported GUI with a file browser then sure.

And Linus uses a mac. you use the old tools to make the newer, better tools. in this case it doesn't matter because TempleOS could be fully bootstrapped using its own software. And he DID write, compile and deploy templeOS using templeOS on a commodore.

tell me more facts about terry you dickriding bloatnigger!

>Dickriding Bloatnigger

Clearly you dont know me, My boyfriend cut off his dick for me because that is considered bloat. Furthermore I am not a Nigger, that is outright offensive to me. My Gender is Nigga and I want you to refer to me as a nigga from now on. I will no longer spoonfeed you with TerryFacts untill your mother will die in her sleep tonight if you dont approve the CoC in your code tonight

Attached: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (1000x584, 83K)

>My boyfriend cut off his dick for me because that is considered bloat

mutilation is bloat you terry Dickriding Bloatnigger.

You mean nuked backwards portability up to a certain point? Quite some, the problem is most of them do it just for their machine, so it's a bit tricky to find the right one.

Attached: 1537888732852.jpg (695x697, 471K)

i lost 20 iq points from this post. Just stop, cringe.

Just know, harming your body/mutilation is bloat dumbass..

So why is void classified as meme?
Admittly out of fun and a bit of drunkness I installed on my t430 machine yesterday and so far I gotta say I don't find any meme potential besides the package manager having a shit name..

Attached: 16584761_1408851475823424_3817769482789584896_n.jpg (800x796, 83K)

>void linux muh little pony
>creator left project
etc etc

>he's a larping script kiddie
Just like OP

Void user myself. Only problem is that the package reps are quite small. It has everything you'd expect and need, though. maybe 1 or 2 packages you have to build yourself.

Seething

As I said, I'm on day two now, but as hlwm is supported I don't think I won't find any more obscure packages. At least not on my regular use.

Huh, didn't know about the first. Maybe for the better.

Attached: 1527815539998.jpg (480x854, 84K)

yea i seeth bloatniggers and scriptkiddies

arch is not minimal

Is GRUB bloat?

GRUB2 is super bloat.

GRUB was OK back in the day.

do you use grub and which bootloader is the most minimal

I would ditch debian and use stali linux
infoworld.com/article/3048737/open-source-tools/stali-distribution-smashes-assumptions-about-linux.html

>The most obvious benefit isthat static binaries have a smaller memory and on-disk footprint.
I assumed that disk usage would be the main drawback of static linking. How the fuck does copying every function used by the program to the program save disk usage?

Reminder that minimalism isn't just for programmers, but writers can also benefit from it.

>Hints for Preparing DocumentsMost documents go through several versions (always more than you expected) before they are finally finished. Accordingly, you should do whatever possible to make the job of changing them easy.
>First, when you do the purely mechanical operations of typing, type so subsequent editing will be easy. Start each sentence on a new line. Make lines short, and break lines at natural places, such as after commas and semicolons, rather than randomly. Since most people change documents by rewriting phrases and adding, deleting and rearranging sentences, these precautions simplify any editing you have to do later.
>— Brian W. Kernighan

Try and find a WYSIWYG word processor with as much precision as using vi will give you when you write with these linebreaks in mind.

dmenu is the only good suckless tool

I disagree. A lot of the suckless stuff is memeshit but certain authors have produced pretty good shit:
>dwm: even vanilla is really good
>st: only good after you spend a few hours making it work how you want
>slock best X locker period
>dmenu, one of the most versitle programs ever written
>tabbed is really good: I wish it worked with more programs like libreoffice but having tabbed zathura etc is really handy when having a shit load of documents open for research, only okular can compete and it starts to eat gigs of RAM when you have 10+ 1000+ page pdfs open and want to search through them.
>surf + tabbed is a godsend on older computers or when you want a CIA+Javascript free web experience

The real advantage of le suckless and le small dependencies is that they compile on basically any unixlike.
Meaning that my shittily written install script can just wget dwm-6.1, un-tar it, delete config.def.h and dwm.c. cat out my own config,h and dwm.c and compile it without even me having to do anything. Very handy and OS agnostic.
Let me show you the power of being MINIMUL
>have final practical for IM
>involves writing a SOAP on a patient case in 30 minutes, includes diagnosis and write up
>I took the time to make a groff + mommy template for it at the start of the semester
>have a nice looking document in 15 minutes thanks to vim macros for all the terminology that I would have had to type out (yes, apperently a fucking medical doctor can't make out what HIT is in the context of a patient getting SQ LMWH. Any one of you can figure it out with a quick search. fucking boomers)
>was even able to submit it in pdf and docx thanks to libreoffice
>more than half the class counldn't finish on time
feels good man

Attached: memepadresolutions.jpg (1920x3772, 1.59M)

(Neo)vim wizards, what's the ""proper"" why to map a keybind to :w, so i can have ctrl-s functionality (and return to insert)?

the fuck is wrong with you

other than 400mg of caffiene at 8pm..what?

super easy to make charts and shit too

Attached: 2018-12-02-1543805674.png (883x789, 26K)

tell me more about the dwm

Windows 7 actually is more minimal nowadays than any Linux distrubution.