/FLG/

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1543006548248.png (3840x2160, 269K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is a good epub reader for debian?

fbreader, mupdf, or calibre from debian repos
coolreader or zathura-mupdf if you want to build stuff

Question

I have a new(old af) toshiba with 4gig ram, but 32bit operating system. Right now it has windows 10 but it's slow af

The correct linux for this would be mint, right? Would ubuntu with xfce work? Do I need to use an older legacy version?

I do like the feel of the keyboard, it's got a lot more click then my other laptop but it's so old I'm worried it will suck hard.

please give me an easy tutorial to create a persistent linux usb drive
All the ones I've found are too difficult to understand

I am studying mechanical engineering. I will never experience true freedom due to solidworks and excel being necessary. How am i to go on

Attached: 1543342931804.jpg (828x768, 155K)

Tails has one pretty easy

>make tails usb
>make another
>the the 2nd to have persistent memory

Now you have a linux with persistent memory

create 3d models from clay and create spreadsheets from squared paper.
metaforically this is what linux users do.

Laptop is a toshiba L515 s4010

Is this just gonna be my crappy windows machine or is there a good flavor of linux for this shit?

>bentium T4400
>GMA 4500M
>320gb 5400rpm
ouch.
I recommend a cheap ssd and any kind of Linux

Mx Linux vs devuan?
Both seem easy to install and use Debian without systemd

Fucking this, EE here and in radios.
Everyone uses this proprietary suite of microwave programs

So yeah, ubuntu with xfce then?

Also how can I clean a membrane laptop keyboard? Soda got spilled on the bottom 2 rows of keys and it's starting to give me trouble to answer my passwords

Excel is easily replaced with another spreadsheet software or better something like Jupyter - Spark setup backed by some srs processing power that can pretty interactively throw you calculations and statistical evaluation even over huge data sets in a bunch of seconds.

I guess you might still need Solidworks. IDK if it can be put in a VM, but you might want to get a more trustworthy/long term less annoying Linux box to augment your Windows gaymen/proprietary software thing anyhow.

AQUA A CUTE. A CUTE!!!

Attached: smug_aqua.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

Thank you. I wanted to make an anime wallpaper general

So I did

Who /poorfag/ here?

Attached: 2018-12-01-202050_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 358K)

Doesn't solidworks have a limix release? There is an online excel, don't know how capable it is though.

worst girl

What's the most dad friendly linux distro?

I would have to guess mint

get parabola for that minimal arch and that free as in freedom

Set up Debian Stable for stuff he uses. Cinnamon or GNOME on classic mode should be okay as a desktop, even standard GNOME. Also set automatic security updates with software-properties-gtk. Also read how to install multimedia (basically ffmpeg and vlc so that he can play music and videos) Now that I think about it, Ubuntu will release dinosaur lasting LTS versions, so you might as well set up Ubuntu LTS for him. If he's used to windows 7 or xp like most old dads try lxde (KDE never).
The point is that everything he needs works and the box stays secure. Also no shitty 3 times a day updates that change everything and waste network usage and hdd storage.
Another option is CentOS.

>running BunsenLabs
>have R9 270
>have Korean IPS 1440p
>running AMDGPU, which is barely even compatible with the R9 270
>I am able to easily overclock my monitor to 90Hz

>upgrade to RX 470
>notice monitor only running at 60Hz
>go over all my xrandr settings
>set to run at 90Hz
>"error: crtc 1 not configured

WHY
H
Y

The RX 470 is supposed to be fully supported by AMDGPU, and it runs worse than the R9 270 which isnt even officially supported

This looks pretty good for poorfag shit.
This proves that paying more than $100 for a laptop is retarded.

get rid of bunsenlabs
literally what kind of retard uses that shit distro anyway
install gentoo, unironically

I tried on Devuan, Mint 19, and Lubuntu with same results
"error: Configure crtc 1 failed"

Im seriously about to buy a fucking R9 285 or some shit

The AMD devs need to get their heads out of their asses. I've never seen so many fucking regressions as I have with AMD GPU software

those are all debian based distros, of course youd run into the same errors
i said g e n t o o

I don't know how to install Gentoo. Can I, like, use Calculate instead?

not even that guy but why would gentoo fix his issues? quit forcing the ebin g meme

I mean this laptop runs slow as shit, idk how much was paid for it because I found it in a closet after like a decade, fucked around with a few distros but a friend recommended I install void on it, runs about as good as you can expect a 12 year old laptop to run

no, Fedora is the only alternative to Debian based but I doubt that's the problem

shoudve bought a $40 thinkpad
those paired with gnu/linux run like new

I don't know but I do need to run a custom compiled mesa to fix a fucking regression a radeon dev intentionally implemented. It's kind of annoying having to recompile mesa or whatever every fucking time theres a mesa update. Gentoo might actually make this easier on me. Well I know I could just make a patch but whatever.

Anyway, that doesnt happen until after I get the overclock to work, which it is looking seriously like will not happen.

How am I even supposed to run amdgpu-pro? its not in the repositories. On amds website, it offers a download for ubuntu 16.04, and 18.04. But not 18.10, and not debian. What the literal fuck is wrong with these retards?

I jumped back to AMD to get away from the Nvidia botnet only to find out AMD back in like 2013 was better than the garbage they have out now, holy fucking shit.

because ive had driver issues with debian across multiple machines - switching distros could solve it

I know it would have been better to pair it with a thinkpad but this is the laptop I currently have and I have no no idea where you can even get a TB for $40, most of the ones I see are like 150 minimum, you gotta work with what you have available

Yeah but it worked fine on the R9 270. I seriously think this driver issue is caused by the retarded AMD devs

i am also running a later amd gpu and switching from debian fixed my problem
just give it a shot, try fedora for easy install

The next thing I am going to try is fucking downgrading from 18.10 to 18.04 to try amdgpu-pro. Because AMD only offers amdgpu-pro for 18.04 and not 18.10 because they are fucking cunts

If that doesnt work, I will give Fedora a try. What driver issue were you having? My shit technically is working OK I suppose, as I doubt those retarded cunts care about people overclocking their monitors on Linux, even though this works fine on every older card I have tried

genuine question how many of yall are poor/on hella old machines that you run gnu/linux on?

just something comfy about breathing new life into a machine with a lightweight install

my driver issue was the same as yours, but worse.
along with the issues you were having, my fucking resolution was stuck in 600x800
i never touch debian-anything anymore for this reason
debian has such bad driver management

My laptop is now over ten years old and uses Gentoo.

> lightweight install
The normal stuff isn't terribly heavyweight for the most part. Try that for starters.

oh i use gnu/linux myself, what i meant was i just enjoy seeing setups on resource limited machines, idk if thats autistic i just enjoy the conservation of technology if it still works fine

my laptop is an x200s and i have no desire to upgrade except to perhaps get more resolution than the 1440x900 I have

my desktop is an fx-8320, again, little to no desire to upgrade

>conservation of technology if it still works fine
this
I use shit till it breaks. then i fix it and use it till it breaks again. then i fix it, and continue using it to this day

I just installed debian on a new laptop and it won't let me use wifi. I know for a fact the laptop can use wifi because i've been using it for about a week now and it's been on wifi the whole time.

Attached: 1519366409988.jpg (1106x1012, 28K)

Pretty old machines should still work fine with a rather normal Linux setup.
Again: It doesn't necessarily even need something terribly minimalist.

That said, I'd generally suggest getting newer machines for power consumption reasons for the frequent computer users that I expect most of Jow Forums to be.

i also had this issue with debian before i switched from it

find out the wireless controller make and model with "lshw" and search google for the proper driver.
I'm guessing this is the problem because it's a recent install and wifi has worked on your machine.

if you didnt blindly hit enter like a retarded monkey faggot thru the install process you would have realized it told you the exact command to get wifi working post-install

I didn't and no it didn't.

if someone posted their dot files on github how would i go about importing them to my system?

Attached: 1384144456127.png (500x500, 3K)

Depends did you download the nonfree live cd? It'll still work, just update shit via your ethernet cable

>github dotfile is a config for ~/.config/i3/config
>select what you want
>ctrl + c
>sudo nano ~/.config/i3/config
>middle mouse
>ctrl + x
>save

My gayming computer has memory that linux does not recognize, so I need to boot from a USB hard drive.

I want to partition my hardrive so that the first 100GB is arch linux, and then format everything up to the last 1GB as a regular USB drive format, perhaps FAT or one of windows bullshit formats so that I can store steam games. Then in the last 1GB I want to put the arch linux installer iso so that if I break my distro I always have the installer iso on hand to chroot in.

Will the arch installer iso work in a partition? Also if I install grub to my USB hard drive will my computer be able to boot from that?

Attached: ARch.jpg (360x316, 33K)

git clone the repository or get a snapshot archive to extract or download individual files as you prefer

put the files you want into your directory as your dotfiles, edit them

> My gayming computer has memory that linux does not recognize
Hard to believe. You might want to check this premise with hwinfo/lshw and fdisk -l and more.

> perhaps FAT or one of windows bullshit formats so that I can store steam games
On Linux, Steam saves games just fine on the Linux filesystems.

FAT/NTFS are not very suitable for a Linux install.

> so that if I break my distro I always have the installer iso on hand to chroot in
Better keep an USB stick or microSD with it.

how can you be this dumb my man
I know this is a friendly thead but WOW

I updated kernel from 4.14 to 4.19 and now my volume and mute buttons don't work. wat do? The shortcuts for them are as they would normally be and when changing them, the buttons are recognized when pressed. Shortcuts like keyboard backlight that use FN+X do work though.

Thinkpad T430S
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.19.4-1-MANJARO
Shell: bash 4.4.23
DE: KDE 5.52.0 / Plasma 5.14.3
WM: KWin

>updating kernel
sorry, I'm using slackware

Fix your fonts brad, spacing is all o v er the p l a c e.

You're a fucking retard. YOu're running the same kernel on every distribution and when it works on one distribution it can work on another. Only a complete retard and meme knowledge absorber (you) would do that. Only an even bigger, terminal retard (you) would recommend others to do the same.
Never post again.

A "lightweight" install is nothing but a myth. If your computer has trouble running a webbrowser, which is most likely the thing you spend most time with, in one operating system, it will struggle running it in another operating system. If you idiots actually used your computers for anything other than posting epic screenfetch screenshots or running top, you'd know this. But you don't, since you're posers.

If the button presses are recognized then it's unrelated to your kernel. The problem is then somewhere with KDE Plasma not assigning them correctly to change sound settings.

Welp. I did some other completely unrelated disk partition changes that required couple reboots and now the buttons magically work again.
It's pretty weird that at first a reboot didn't fix the issue.

Can someone explain to me how amdgpu-pro is a replacement for catalyst? in catalyst you had a gui control panel with tons of options. amdgpu-pro doesnt have a gui control panel nor does it have the options catalyst provided

amdgpu-pro is the new blob driver from amd, replacing fglrx. It doesn't have controls but amdcccle was pretty useless anyways.

>amdcccle was pretty useless anyways.
I disagree. It allowed forcing various methods of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. It had other options too.
So there is no GUI control panel for amdgpu or amdgpu-pro? I wouldn't mind if there were CLI ways of doing what I need (forcing various methods of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering), but there doesn't even seem to be that.

Back when I had an Nvidia GTX560Ti, it had a nice GUI control panel that could force all this stuff. That was like 7 years ago.
As much as I want to support AMD for being more FOSS friendly, I seriously think I am going to sell my Radeon and get a GTX. I had better graphics quality 7 years ago than I do now. I sold my last Nvidia hoping AMD was finally caugh up but its obvious they aren't

Nvidia will give you much sadness on Linux, good luck.

I already had 2 Nvidia in the past 7 years and my experiences were better than my experiences with AMD since about 2013 or so. My AMD in 2013 on *open source* drivers was great; you could even force anti-aliasing. Then they removed that option, so I switched to Catalyst. Catalyst was like a shittier version of Nvidia's control panel.

The main problem from a usability standpoint with Nvidia is you can only use certain kernels. And you're getting a botnet. Big fucking deal. AMD needs to get their shit together. Forcing anti-aliasing and over-clocking monitor refresh rates worked on AMD years ago, yet now no longer does. Both of these things still function on Nvidia though. Not to mention Nvidia allows forcing anisotropic filtering. I can't fucking stand regressions

You can use VM, wine or remote desktop machine for this.

I think Solidworks should run fine in wine.

>I think Solidworks should run fine in wine.
not him, but i also have a windows installation around purely for solidworks (seriously, all the games i want to run work fine in linux)
solidworks barely works in windows, it's a trainwreck in wine. it uses OpenGL, but that's the friendliest part of it, it uses all kinds of microsoft-isms, from microsoft sql server express, to VBA, to (optionally) parts of microsoft office

i actually tried it again in wine just for shits, and only got partly through the installer (which of course uses IE components, because why not)

solidworks might well be the final boss for wine

>i actually tried it again in wine
recently* i should say

how do i disable password authentication on ubuntu?

>yall
>hella
speak english retard

kys

says the faggot

I installed windows on my new pc. It would feel kinda wasteful to not fully use resources like gpu on Linux
But still, I feel a little bad about this

you forgot g for gnu in your subject
this meant you got pass the filter
please dont make that mistake again if you are planning on spewing that gnu faggotry in the body of the OP, keep the subject fglt

good luck with your dead gnu fanaticism

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy

Attached: say_NO_to_gnu.jpg (682x1024, 176K)

fuck off

mx if you need their settings, pre-configuration etc.
devuan if you just want debian without systemd.

>page 7
echo "bump" >/proc/sys/vm/thread

I installed Debian with GNOME in VBox, and it's working fine, except for the slight stuttering/lag for example when I drag a window around.

I know GNOME is said to be bloated and slow and whatnot, but is this lagginess because of VBox, or is it actually that slow? I mean my computer is pretty fucken solid, hardware-wise, so basically I'm asking if GNOME will run smoothly on a good computer, or will it have a little bit of lag when dragging windows around even on a good computer?
Is it really so badly optimized that it lags on a good PC, or is this just something VBox causes?

I like how the font is desu, it's aesthetic

Fuck you're a tool. Grow the fuck up.

huh, gnome 3.22 animations are somewhat sluggish so I just disable them. Is just the animation though

What about dragging a window around quickly on the screen? Does the dragging seem a bit sluggish?
I mean my cursor moves at native speeds in VBox. But as soon as I start dragging a window, it feels like the 60fps speed drops down to ~20fps

Trashy wallpaper

yes, it is probably because of virtual box and not debian. You will actually find that debian would be much faster than Windows 10. I recommend trying a live cd if you really want to try it out. Otherwise, just go ahead and install

GNU - GNU's Not Usable

You're mom is tho.
(Black cock only.)

There's already a /fglt/ thread in the catalog.
Where the fuck are these janitors I keep hearing about?

use an event logger to find out the bindcode of the button in question.
Then, script a function to that specific bindcode.

spoken like someone who wants to get raped by a faggot

any videos or sites on how to install archlinux?

Attached: 14.gif (600x400, 58K)

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

do it in a vm first

Why do some packages end with "-bin" in the AUR?

they download binaries instead of compiling

Ok, so I just booted my old Elementary OS after maybe 2 years and I was clogged with shit I used or the job at that time.
I want a comfy distro for shitposting, downloading shit and waching anime.
Is the new Elementary 5 any good ?
I really liked how everything "just worked"

Attached: shopkeeper5.png (745x683, 18K)

That's what I thought, but then why do I get the message:
Building package-bin...

?