Friendly GNU+Linux thread - /fglt/

Old

Attached: ED8F1A6C-DBD7-407C-8C76-C102C35522C4.png (788x1000, 266K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Kernel-Hugs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Mint

>mint
Sage and report.

You're all a bunch of brainlet hugs
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Kernel-Hugs

Thinking of getting a thinkpad t480 with the discreet graphics. I use KDE so will I be able to use wayland? I'm eventually going to get a eGPU but AMD since I hear it's better on linux.

>discreet graphics
i'm pretty sure fans have to kick in at some point to prevent overheating

What's a nice method for managing a large folder with tons of pdfs and their associated bibtex entries?
My professor recommended me some botnet online service for managing bibtex entries and "consistent naming convention" for my pdf library.
I'm looking into emacs' auctex for managing the bibtex but it'd be nice to be able to also link it with the pdf files.

Good naming conventions seems like the best idea. There is Calibre but I think it’s bloat.

The main drawback is how it restricts tag-like searches.
I took the habit (a bad one) to separate the pdfs in folders so it's like a "one tag per file" deal.
As a reaction, I started putting comments in my bibtex entries along with tags. I then grep the bibtex for tag or use memory to remember where is a specific paper.
I use calibre to send ebooks to my kindle but I don't feel like relying on it to handle my pdf library. I'd rather make a sqlite database.

is there not an official firefox repo with all versions for debian?

recompile the deb package with newer firefox

What version of Ubuntu should I use if I want a DE that has a finished feeling and allows various options like changing the system font size? I'm using Lubuntu, and it's a massive pain in the ass. Another thing I don't like about Lubuntu, is it's hit or miss if the program shows up in the start menu when installing.

I reinstalled ubuntu using the reinstall ubuntu option instead of just formatting the partitions, and it worked fine but after restarting once I found old files that I had previously deleted in old install in t he new install's trash bin
how did this happen?

gentoo

In case you're serious about manpages being bloat, you should go back to - actually, where?
>fell for the cat-v mene
kys
>fell for the alpine meme
kys
Aight; leave everyone alone and kys fag.

Please explain. As someone who has headed only bad things about Mint (botnet, crude hacked up debibuntu, stability over security), I can't believe anyone would unironically want to glorify it.

IMHO the sanest thing here would be either
>getopts, tell yourself lyou don't need long options anyway
>choose a different language ;Python/C

what is a good lightweight distro for a yoga 11e

>Celeron N2920
>4GB of ram

I've been thinking Lubuntu but should I look at any other slim debian/ubunutu based distros?

I'm running GalliumOS, a fork (i think?) of Xubuntu on a Celeron N2840 with 2GB of RAM and it's speedy for typical normalfag stuff like word chromium VLC and PDFs, so consider Xubuntu as well.

Bored? Debian netinstall with openbox + tint2.
Lazy? Debian plus Xfce.

Stop using chromium.

No

Enjoy your botnet.

>using SJWFox
Enjoy being cucked by Tyrone

>chromium
lel, at least get ungooled chromium
chromium's a botnet senpai

OK kid

Where's the OP?

Gone because it was shit

What's wrong with it?

Imagine being this retarded that you apply your memes to free software. Imagine being this retarded that you'd rather use potentially freedom/privacy infringing software than actual free software because your wee brain can't handle thinking, but can only process formed opinions you pick up elsewhere. Imagine being this fucking retard all day every day and taking pride in using non-free software.

Imagine caring about what software other people use

Reminder to refuse to write portable shell scripts.

That doesn't even come with de does it?

This is after all a friendly thread. Why would you complain on protips?

Imagine being that retarded that you think it's about other people's software choice and not their pride for using non-free software.
For your retard-o-brain: no one cares when you use proprietary software. But when you feel pride and try to defend your retarded opinion with retarded opinions (memes), that's when everyone is going to make fun of you retard and call you a retard.

Chromium is open source though.

Free software that you have to "ungoogle".

Back in the days people were thankful for hints. People have been running anti-spyware programs even on Windows. What happened that today there are people who unironically defend the malware they're using?
Open Source is a cancer ridden marketing/laundry scheme and you shouldn't fall for it. Heard of Android?Open Source. Vscode? Open Source. Yet they all spy on you.

go eat some tiejam stallman

>enough is enough

Attached: 1543058091182.png (627x750, 274K)

I'm fine, thanks. However, please keep it a secret between yourself and the NSA.

Attached: 1456958748412.jpg (2380x1994, 516K)

>rms a meat eater
why isn't he vegan tho?

Too intelligent to fall for low-effort ferelgood memes.

>tfw installing debian
>tells me exactly which botnet drivers I need
>requests to dl them, to point to the download and proceeds with the install
Why isn't it done like this in all distros?

are you buster or

Because encouraging the use of rootkits is not in the users best interest.

I agree with this, the autists who bitch about bash/ksh-isms and expect you to write POSIX sh are the worst.

Their system like every other has hundreds of different interpreters but they refuse to install another shell to run a bash script.

when theyre making a gtk theme how do they figure out what things there are available to specify

The bash one I think stems from irrational GNU hatred, like the void and BSD fags.

I agree that you don't want every piece of free software being "locked-in" to GNU specific behavior but when it comes to a bash script it's just another language installed on your system like python or bc.

I think there's some tool that lets you click on UI elements and it tells you what it is. Can't remember the name though.
But I've made themes and I just take advantage of others hard work. Download there theme as a base and just modify it, it's much easier than starting from scratch. And of course remember to give them credit if you do that and release your theme.

>Last login: Sun Jun 5 17:56:32 2016
haven't updated my arch laptop for a while

Do it.

>"locked-in" to GNU specific behavior
The hell does this mean? No GNU software is ever "locked-in" to anything. I think there's some serious misconceptions about what GNU even is in these threads.

Should I stick with i3bar or nah?

ugh, gimme a sec, this thing still has yaourt

It's not a true lock-in, it's when programs use GNU C extensions, GNU libc extensions, GNU coreutils extensions, GNU sed extensions.

Then when you want to compile or run it on a system with a different compiler, libc, coreutils or even fucking sed, you have to port the thing.

It's a good and bad thing, they are helpful features that make it easier but it does make your program incompatible with other systems.

The point is, why bother? We must make shell scripts great again. Bash is the standard stell in my system - so I use Bash. Why should I care about macfags or BSDfags? Feature X doesn't work on you mac? Get your fault. My grep or doesn't work on your busybox? Get lost. BSD doesn't support that option? Well man, looks like it's not s BSD script! We have been crippled down our scripts fkr too long, making them slower and spawning useless processes for nothing but the portable meme.

>being that *revolting* guy

That doesn't sound like a "portability issue" even. To me a portability issue means there's some reason a program or its dependencies _cannot_ exist on a certain platform, but all of this just sounds like stuff that other platforms can also have but they just don't want.

Similarly here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that also just sounds like a developer choice and users who refuse to have the right dependencies.

>make shell scripts great again
Bourne shell derivatives have pretty much stagnated, there's not much left to add without making it not backwards compatible with POSIX sh or turning your shell into an ugly ksh/perl monstrosity.

I'm not him, but I like it. For me it's the better Ubuntu.
No spyshit, no stupid decisions. (Canonical, Unity etc...)

>be me
>have to do transcriptions of Medieval texts for uni
>download institution's .ttf for extra glyphs
>there are a couple of thousand so I can't just type them on the keyboard
I usually just use vim but it uses my terminal font, so I probably would have to set the .ttf in Xresources (?). Any advice how to avoid using Word and its horrible 'Insert Symbol'?

It is a portability issue.

Dependencies in shell scripts are complicated because of the standard utilities. You can install bash on a non GNU system to run a bash script.

bash executes the script just fine but if the script make GNU assumptions when calling an external tool(e.g. sed) and uses GNU-specific behavior then it won't work.

You can install GNU sed on on that system but it won't replace your system sed, you'll have to call it something else like gsed. The bash script still to be modified.

What is your favorite /fglt/ meme?

How do you seek in long videos using mpv?
After about a minute the video locks up and wont play,seeking backwards does not work either.
I've played with the caches but absolutely nothing changes and its impossible to seek to later potions of thev ideo.

I have this super annoying network problem that popped up today out of fucking nowhere.

I have an ubuntu computer with two network cards. One connected to my router so i can access my lan and the other one is connected directly to ISP network cable.
But the isp is an annoying retard and some months ago switched to using dhcp for assigning ips and shit.
For several months it worked just fine, but today it stopped.
I checked ifconfing and the network card with the ISP cable in it is getting and ip assigned from the dhcp service running on my router for some reason.
So how can i force the network card with the isp cable to use isp's dhcp service instead?
the only solution i can think of would be disconnecting the second network card so the computer has no access to the router lan, but that would be obviously retarded solution..

Why dont you have a router hooked up to your isp line?

i do
i have two public IPs assigned from my isp.
I use the computer in question as a server and one network card has access to my home lan the the other one with the ISP cable is used to access the server from the outside
>y u no set up the router to redirect ports to your server and use only one ip
because reasons

You'll have to setup iptables and then preroute each nic to different ip on a different subnet.
You will also have to tell every program you use to use a specific nic card.
Some programs dont have such features, so you're going to have to make a fuck ton of port entries.

Or just properly setup the router.
You dont need dual nics for your setup.

my router doesn't support double wan ip setup
and like i said it worked fine for months. it shit itself today for absolutely no reason
programs work fine, i have the lan network card marked as lan only so programs can't use it to access internet only lan
also i am not sure what would the iptables command look like to prevent eth0 adapter from accessing anything going through eth1

desu I was trying yesterday to replace chromeOS with ubuntu and was running into some shit, then I figured ok maybe gallium will go better since it was literally made for that or so I hear
the freaking keyboard didn't work
but in the meantime I managed to get ubuntu to work for the most part

I might eventually use something different than unity since allegedly that might be a bit heavy on resource use

overall though I think it would've been better to just get an actual laptop and take the price hit with it but eh wanted to try out this whole chromebook thing and it was on sale
at least I got away with it being 3x cheaper than a proper laptop

>why did my misconfigured settings suddenly stop working.
You dont need to separate your server on one nic and your external on the other.
Get a router and then use dmz/port forwarding/upnp to expose your server to the Internet.

This is going off the top of my head but something similar. The terms you are looking for is " symmetric routing" and "policy based filtering"
ip route add 10.10.0.0/24 dev enXXX tab 1
ip route add 10.10.10.0/24 dev enYYY tab 2
ip route add default via 10.10.0.0 dev ensXXX tab 1
ip route add default via 10.10.10.0 dev ensYYY tab 2

Have an old MacBook, it's a Core2Duo with 4 gigs of ram. Currently running Snow Leopard. What bistro should I throw on it to turn it into a comfy web machine?

>Get a router and then use dmz/port forwarding/upnp to expose your server to the Internet.
I specifically mentioned i can't do this, i need the server to have it's own public ip adress.
The public access to the server simply cannot go through the router (because reasons) it has to go directly through its own network card

>i can't do this,
Yes you can.
> i need the server to have it's own public ip adress.
It will with a NAT
>simply cannot go through the router
But it can.
> it has to go directly through its own network card
It does not.
>(because reasons)
No one can help you further if you're on this SUPER SEKRIT CIA MISSION CRITIAL server.

I installed Manjaro to try out Arch, I see now I like it but of course I don't want to use this piece of shit
I seperated / and /home, if I just install arch on / and keep my /home partition will things /justwork/ on my new Arch installation?

Attached: 1523146385191.png (1280x800, 42K)

There is no point explaining why i can't do it that way, it would be a waste of time unrelated to solving the problem that i have.

>solving the problem i have
First problem is not being willing to take others suggestions. You have a non standard config that dosent warrant this hackey setup
Second, is your inability to understand that the only one preventing your problem from being solved, is your self.
I've told you exactly what you need to look in to get your zombie network running.

Am on Mint 19 Cinnamon since this Tuesday and am having issues with mounting drives on startup. I've looked at a few threads online already and followed them but to no avail. What happens is when I boot up all drives are unmounted, this means my wallpaper gets reset every time, music player is fucked, torrent client gets missing file errors and more similar issues. In the disks utility they are set to auto-mount on start up but that obviously isn't what's happening. I have to manually browse to them first.

Might be related, but my Nvidia X-server settings also always reset my refresh rate down to 60Hz though it retains all other settings. What do?

Both firefox and chrome have turned into freedom/privacy infringing software
The best browsers are either ungoogled-chromium or something like seamonkey/waterfox

Did your /etc/fstab get fucked?

It might have, it's been like this from the installation itself though. I can only find an entry in that file for the drive I installed the OS on. Should I add the others manually?

Yes, any thing you want mounted should be put in there.
You will also be able to mount them using
"mount /mountpoint" instead of "mount /dev/sdX /mount/point" each time.
Use "blkid" to get the UUID and use that instead of /dev/sdX.

sure. The only thing to look out for is if there's DE or other configuration files in your /home that will mess up your desktop.

There are KDE configs, as well as X, should I delete them both? Would it be alright to keep any eventual configs of userspace programs in ~? If I just reinstall with pacman in arch would the configs get overwritten or would they be used?

It should be fine to keep them all. I usually dont bother deleting them. Its just if you boot up to a busted desktop when you get to arch you know where to start.

I see, thanks user

I must've done something wrong because when I put the UUIDs in there the only thing that happened on the next reboot as the drives weren't listed in the file manager either. My boot drive has two partitions which both have a bunch of other texts regarding them. Do I need any of this for the other drives to work as well? Attached what it looks like.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-02 15-46-00.png (943x808, 60K)

So, my DNS is literally fucking broken.

As in, I type "nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8" and still get an error.

How the fuck am I even supposed to begin to fix this shit? I already fucked around with the various config files for setting DNS servers, but that obviously won't be helping as my system is blatantly incapable of even making DNS requests, by the looks of it.

Anyone got any fucking pointers for this mess? This is a VM that I just set up and I'm not interested in doing it again unless there is no other choice.

>an error
>how the fuck am I even supposed to begin to fix this
>"fucked around" with the "various config files"
>my system has developed a will of its own and is refusing to make use of this one protocol, trust me, it's one of a kind and this has never happened before but it really is somehow capable of being stubborn
it still amazes that people choose to be this vague when asking help with such specific technical problems
I get that they don't know what they're doing and they need help but holy shit they really want to make it extra difficult for no reason
it's like they just want to bitch about something, one of those emotional support vs informational support bullshit things

user I know how you feel, DNS is a mess of a protocol and it's a nightmare to set up properly sometimes

I decided to omit the error because it's just this:
>;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Which is so blatantly misleading that the error must obviously be somewhere else. I attempted this with multiple DNS servers, including ones on my local network.
Everything works, except for any kind of DNS resolution. I would assume that this situation is somewhat specific in its symptoms.

I was hoping that someone would know the structure of DNS enough to tell me about some kind of lower layer that could have been fucked up or something.

add "defaults" to the beginning of the options field.
UUD=9d1295bd-707d-47d1-82a3-f5bb75a0190b / ext4 defaults 0 1

Copy the above for each of your drives you want to mount on start,change the uuid and make sure to change any that might not be ext4.

>intel + nvidia bumblebee
>HDMI screen doesnt work because the gpu is off i presume?
How do i fix this?

>connection timed out; no servers could be reached
but that's immensely specific! what more could you want from the thing?
it's telling you right there in plain English: "no servers could be REACHED" aka this server you're making me go to with your DNS request, well I just can't get there

I have one simple thing first to ask of you first:
ping 8.8.8.8

otherwise:
can you verify that a DNS server is configured?
can you verify that it's actually trying to use the configured servers?
can you verify that it know how to REACH the configured servers? aka try a ping
does it go through? no? traceroute

in overly simple terms:
you query -> resolver -> DNS server -> MAGIC -> answer back to your machine

extra:
- google the fucking error m8, I unironically am willing to bet your fix is in the top 3 answers, double if you throw in the host system and/or that it's a VM (but start out simple)
- do a tcpdump to see what's actually habbening with your requests, you probably have some issue with routing from your VM, through the host, to the interwebs and back (does the poor thing even have interwebs?)

but please for the love of god always just copy-paste the error you're getting and how you're getting it/what you're doing to get it
>everything works
bullshit
>this situation is somewhat specific
unless you really are the first human being to be doing something, aka never, or some mad research shit, it will literally never be special and will always have a decent stackoverflow reply with a solution

Attached: DNS with colors.png (1277x717, 122K)

oh and last but not least, fat chance it's a firewall problem
>it's always that one last thing you check and bites you in the ass every fucking time

>ping 8.8.8.8
As I said, everything works. As long as it doesn't require DNS resolution.

>can you verify that a DNS server is configured?
Doesn't matter because I'm specifying a server with the nslookup command. It should work even with no server set.

>can you verify that it's actually trying to use the configured servers?
No, I have no idea how I'd even do that, outside of using a hub and connecting a system with wireshark.

>can you verify that it know how to REACH the configured servers? aka try a ping
>does it go through? no? traceroute
Ping and Traceroute work perfectly fine, as I already implied.

Here is the deal: The servers work. They resolve DNS for other systems. The route to the servers also works, I can ping them. Only this specific system cannot use them for DNS resolution and instead claims it has no connection.

>unless you really are the first human being to be doing something, aka never, or some mad research shit, it will literally never be special and will always have a decent stackoverflow reply with a solution
There isn't. I was already spending about half an hour or so searching for the solution, but everything was for morons who don't know how to specify another server in nslookup in order to confirm what's fucked.
This is a deeper issue than the one that people normally post about.

>oh and last but not least, fat chance it's a firewall problem
Ironically I checked it first, as I was already doing port forwarding via iptables so that the VM services can be reached from other systems in my network.
The VM itself only has the default rules.
All outgoing connections are allowed. Ingoing obviously works with pre-established connections via PAT, while ports 53 and 80 are also forwarded.

I agree that it looks like a firewall issue, but it isn't.

I'm really starting to hate GNOME. If I had any sense I'd leave it behind, but I don't have the time right now.

As you can see, I've got an IceCat infestation. How do I remove the unnecessary kittens (or at least change the logo of that one that's blatantly not IceCat)?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-02 14-29-59.png (1103x632, 353K)

Time to switch to i3+dmenu

as I said, I think you should do a tcpdump and see what's happening with your packets during a request; so far it doesn't sound like we know if the request is leaving the host at all in the first place, or if it does indeed leave but doesn't get back
a tcpdump will help you find that out
out of curiosity, could you also
cat /etc/resolv.conf

Attached: 1541801174764.png (634x513, 22K)

So my update crashed here. It has been here an hour. What the fuck do I do. Restart will probably brick the OS again. Every time it notifies me of update to OS it bricks it.

Attached: 1527769825482.png (1442x428, 105K)