What think Jow Forums about Dwarf Fortress?

what think Jow Forums about Dwarf Fortress?
It's a game for programers?

Attached: source.gif (641x506, 2.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/132zcu/running_dwarf_fortress_with_native_text_in_linux/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Has anyone made a functional UI for it? I'm all about roguelikes but there is too much going on in this game

It seems like a cool concept, but I can't imagine staring at ASCII for hours, it sounds like such an autistic thing to enjoy.
If I wanted some autistic gayming I'd rather fire up a racing sim, Arma 2 or Falcon BMS.
You're probably gonna get your thread 404'd btw.

Or Orbiter NASSP even. Learning how to drive the Apollo spacecraft sounds like fun

I played it once, didn't find it interesting. I was interested in it's map/history generator, but I trashed it once I found out that it is not FOSS.

The man who made it is a talented mathematician and professor, so it's worth it to a programmer to interpret and look through.

The creator is working on a 3D GUI. He posts updates on the DF subreddit.

I tried to get into it, but it's about as much fun as installing Gentoo.

kek

I remember during my horribly depressed incel days I was really into this game. Used to play so much I saw ASCII when I closed my eyes to sleep at night. I would destroy the fortress if deviated at all from radial symmetry (planned them round a central stairwell)

Attached: areyoufeelingok.png (500x480, 11K)

It gets credit for having very deep gameplay but the UI is complete shit and what is considered "fun" is just throwing more and more dwarves to your fort until somebody goes beserk and causes massive tantrum spiraling.

I used a graphics mod and had a blast with it. Still play it from time to time. I don't get stupid babies who whine about ascii when damn great UI and graphics mods exist.

If you think there's a game for "programmers" (or a game for any other job for that matter) you neither played any video games for a substantial amout of time, nor did you ever have a job.

I'm not even sure if you exist as a person.

It is nonfree software.

I would really like to see this game with any 3D graphics.

To what end? There are no animations, and both the combat and movement doesn't make sense with animations. It would be no different from 2D.

So it's a good game then.

His code is allegedly monstrous spaghetti though. Somehow he keeps it afloat.

The only spaghetti part about it is the quantity o functions. You can't code a complex game without having... you know, complex fucking code that makes brains twist and turn when they see it.

>I don't get stupid babies who whine about ascii
They're underage and would have never survived in the IBM XT days.

>le boomer meme xDDDDDD
Kill yourself you fucking hipster.

Attached: rogue.png (640x400, 9K)

debugging is the game for programmers.
but dwarf fortress is pretty fun too

Always loved df, been playing it on and off since before it had a z axis. Had to make a custom tileset for my screen due to font autism but it was easy and I ended up giving a few plants and things I used a lot their own tile.
Greatest learning curve of any game ever, but was a fun journey learning it. Never used any mods, the UI is fine for me, eventually all the commands became muscle memory except for military stuff. Also I need a numpad when I play it so I always get full size keyboards.
The game really tells amazing stories, I used to know a couple people who couldn't play it but were super interested in it and would ask about that archer who lost an eye and things like that
Also once it helped me turn a would be awkward moment into a decent conversation with a hipster soap maker since I knew the process from df, always fancy soap near my waterfall for dwarves to use
Eventually you get good and have to make challenging goals. I only start on evil bioms to grow silver barbs to make black dye and have all my dorfs in black clothes and random things like that
It's the ultimate autism simulation for sure

God where are the fucking jannies
Move this thread to /v/ already
SAGE
SAGE
SAGE
SAGE
SAGE

You can play with top down & isometric is dual window mode
Also it is easier to use a texture pack for graphics rather than learning the ASCII

Attached: Isometric_DF.png (914x606, 910K)

staring at that game for long periods of time can't be healthy for your eyes.

Jesus dude just hide the thread and move on with your pathetic excuse for a life

Based and redpilled
go to /v/

no u

I don't get the hate for the UI all the time. It's perfectly functional.

Is the game multithreaded?

Last I checked, no, but that may have changed

All he has to do is stop simulating dwarven toenails and individual nose hairs and performance would improve 10x. I love you Toady but it's okay to cut features sometimes.

How did you stop being a horribly depressed incel? Asking for a friend

Some newer parts, toady acknolwedges the issue and is doing what he can with his limited expertise

i don't fucking GET IT

Attached: sad_streamer.png (128x128, 27K)

Even Civ I had graphics.

this is why I hate procedural generation in games. everything is a nonsensical jumbled mess

Really, the biggest thing was that I just started being myself, and things fell into place.

But doctor, i've only been myself the whole time!

corewars/kingofthehill is better.

It technically doesn't have graphics, using opengl

Not him, but what do you mean?

Nonfree software, does not respect freedom.

It's only nonsensical when you lack the context to understand why things are arranged in a certain way. You actually have to play the game. This is a silly critique.

>The only spaghetti part about it is the quantity o functions
also the way that it grinds to a halt after about 150 dwarves even of a Xeon

>t. Never heard of Zachtronics

oh, sure, having a bed right next to an anvil makes so much sense!

when your user has as many options as they do in Dwarf Fortress, your UI can't just be "functional", it needs to be efficient and intuitive, which it currently isn't

Attached: image0 (6).jpg (150x150, 19K)

>leaving your dwarfs in the rain
It's like you don't even care.

Also that entrance is going to let kobolds and goblins in, dude.

Video games aren't the real world, dumbass. Also, the objects in this world are placed as specified by the player.

None of that level is procedurally generated, dude. Some player built that mess.

if someone is using the anvil it makes noise which disturbs the sleeper and can make him flip out after a while

Alright, let me rephrase: Even Civ I had visuals that were more than just plain ASCII.

In pic related, we can see something that vaguely resembles green plains, water, and a couple of mountains. But these ultra-dated extremely-simple "graphics" were still... something! And more than what unmodded DF has at the moment.

And Civ I is a 1991 game. Older than DF by 11 years.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

That's the storeroom, asshat. The beds are arranged randomly because the dwarves are just storing the beds there as they get made. Bedrooms have to be specifically made and they're best made away from workshops as they do produce noise.

there are penalties for that in game.
having your beds to close to active workshops bothers your dwarfs when they try to sleep

Civ 1 was god tier
Shift 5 6 click ftw

If the game world can be just any arbitrary shit according to some nonsensical rules, then you just confirmed that procedurally generated game worlds are a nonsensical jumbled mess.
>moving the responsibility for a shitty world to the player provided parameters
I've never seen a dwarf fortress map that doesn't look retarded

I am all about ASCII roguelikes (nethack is one of my favorite games of all time) but DF just has sooo much going on it just gets overwhelming with the ASCII interface

>he can't see the grass, the dwarves, the trees, the rain, the flowers, etc.
OP's gif is depicting wet dwarves, walking around aimlessly with nothing to do alongside their starting wagon, packed full of items as a light rainfall falls on their heads and makes them even wetter. They're standing next to a large staircase, leading down into somewhere. There's a pond up to the top right, andbirch trees are growing really close to their wagon. Someone cut down some trees up the top left, crushing the grass in that area with logs.
The miner is idle, since the player is just making a gif.

>source not available
>not outputting to a tty
it would be to good

You're thinking in such two dimensional terms. Fortresses are three dimensional and thus are best built around a central pillar of stairs (or several, but that's harder to secure) where it's movement in 3 dimensional space that determines how far things should be away from each other.

Attached: BVyce.jpg (400x285, 21K)

There's also two dogs, a Yak and whatever a W is wandering around the wagon.

theres a text mode for the terminal

Where we go from here, is a choice I leave to you.

Attached: zymAc.gif (497x377, 122K)

It's also not a Roguelike, but has a Roguelike mode.

Adventurer mode is pretty great. You can basically do anything. If you want to rip off an elf's arm, pick it up and then beat a vampire to death with it, then you totally can. Well, assuming the vampire doesn't murder you first.

Be careful when wrestling crabs on ice patches though. If it warms up the ice melts and you fall into a lake or river or something. Happened to me once and since my adventurer couldn't swim that ended my adventure.

the complexity of DF is super overrated
grid-based simulations are very easy to program and DFs simulation isn't even that complex or efficient

I've been wanting to get into Dwarf Fortress. Been playing Cataclysm DDA a lot lately, but it's a mess.

What's the best CPU for DF

Intel 9900k. No joke, multithreading doesn't exist in DF.

the highest on this list cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

unless they're being updated every frame which I doubt they are it doesn't make a difference

DUDE HOW THE FUCK AM I LAGGING IN DF

IT'S LITERALLY ASCII

Attached: pearlwut.jpg (206x192, 31K)

cdda has improved a lot recently,
the code is still pretty shit though, and the new map memorizing feature was slow as shit on the last version i played

>what think Jow Forums about Dwarf Fortress?
Hmmm. I think I'll stick to Runescape.

Attached: dwarf_fortress.png (750x2880, 341K)

>I've never seen a dwarf fortress map that doesn't look retarded
Because you're trying to take the logic of the real world and graft it onto a fucking video game. Video games aren't meant to fully simulate reality and as such will not be governed by the same rules. A map that corresponds to something that would be a "jumbled mess" in the real world might make sense within the rules that govern how the game operates. How are you this stupid?

>theres a text mode for the terminal
how do i activate it?

got it
reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/132zcu/running_dwarf_fortress_with_native_text_in_linux/

In init.txt change print mode to text
Worked for me

I'm not him, but there's a good alternative. You can use a graphical tileset for Dwarf Fortress which... adds graphics.

Attached: twbt.png (1024x526, 652K)

>Mermaids

Fortress is for autists, screeps is a game for programmers
And as long as you use a language that compiles to web assembly you can ditch JS

If you redefine "makes sense" to whatever internal logic the game's algorithm uses then sure, EVERY game ever made makes sense. The point of vidya is simulating the most interesting parts of reality, which allows you to experience for instance a simulation of robbing a bank, running a city or fly a fighter jet without the actual risk or resources necessary in the real world.

Nah, those shitty programming games are cringey as fuck. Actual programmers already do enough programming in the real world or to actually improve the game on a meaningful game, not just to fucking be able to play the game at all.

This is uglier.

A spry fuck for his size. He can feed those dwarves for months with his meat, should they choose to slaughter him.

Attached: water buffalo.jpg (350x233, 33K)