Saltwater antenna

have any of you sucessfully made one of these before, whether in a tube or streaming upward?
youtube.com/watch?v=9tIZUhu21sQ

Attached: spurt.png (480x270, 144K)

I'm not a retard who lives by the sea (known location of hurricanes)

>I'm not a retard
>thinks hurricanes happen on every beach

Attached: 1541748687737.jpg (600x600, 57K)

Why is VHF sound so A E S T H E T H I C ?

whats the point of this other than novelty?
regular antennas work better in every situation (including disasters)

>I'm not a retard who lives by the sea (known location of hurricanes)
>salt water only exists in the ocean

Ah, america. never change.

They literally said that in the first minute. On navy vessels where regular antennas take up too much space

Its a scam. Water is a worse material than metal for transmitting / receiving and theres no reason it would take up less space.

gee i wonder what properties salt water may have that pure water doesn't have which could change the situation

Fake and gay
An antenna is literally a vertical rod, it only takes a few square centimeters

>it only takes a few square centimeters
Thank god you're not in charge of our military

Do you even know what a VHF antenna (which is what this thing is competing with) looks like, faggot? You can put one in your damn car right now and nobody would even notice

can it send?

It takes up a few square centimeters of area on whatever surface the antenna lies perpendicular to retard. VHF is the 3m band and of course a half or quarter wavelength antenna is gonna be 0.75-1.5m long. He never said it took up a total VOLUME of a few cubic centimeters.

I find it very hard to believe that finding room for antennas on ships was such a big problem that it necessitated this exotic solution that probably works like shit.

kys underage faggot

I live in NSW Australia right on the beach for 25 years and have never seen shit. worst we had was a storm last year that blew like 90km/h winds. so fuck off

this is very intriguing. i have never heard of this method before

not underage, I'm 22

This is fucking retarded. Replace the water stream with a wire. There you go, smaller antenna. All of the "magic" is being performed by the ferrite ring in the base. This guy is a fucking retard.

It could act as an emergency antenna after the others get destroyed.

It's stupid. First of all, it requires electricity,second of all, the water does nothing an equal length piece of wire cant do. All this is, is a transformer. Also, I would like to point out that the guy in the video tunes in to a NOAA weather station, something you can receive on a fucking potato.

>The advantage of the system is that it allows antennas of multiple frequencies to be created at very short notice and using very little space or weight when not in use.
>was looking for a way to reduce the antenna loads on those huge mast arrays you see on most naval warships (the typical vessel has 80 antennae aboard). Aside from the fact that antennas can interfere with each other, piling all that metal that high can increase the ships odds of being picked up on radar
It also makes it harder to pinpoint your location via resonance as the antenna disappears
Ever put your car transponder key to your saltwater filled head to increase the range?
No it doesn't pretty much any more or less than a normal radio if you use a solid tube e.g epoxy which will also have a greater lifespan than metal which is more suspectible to the elements
Yes
>An 80-foot-high stream can transmit and receive anywhere from 2 to 400 mHz, though much smaller streams can be used for varying other frequencies, ranging from HF through VHF to UHF.

It seems like a cool idea, adjustable antenna size for different wavelengths, can be somewhere away from the normal antennas, when off it's not taking up any room but the nozzle on deck.
I thought it could be cool if miniturizable for soldiers too, the ability to make a YUGE antenna in a pinch without having a roll of wire and someone to climb a structure to place it would be a godsend for emergencies.

But then I thought about it more - for the soldier situation it needs to be small enough to soldier to carry both device and liquid supply (doesn't have to be salt water since we're not pumping form the sea, it could be pure ferrofluid for all DOD cares) which at that point - a small drone with a small spool of wire that can hang from it sounds more feasible.
For the navy too when you need an extra antenna - why not just have a drone hang some wire from itself, like a virtual hook in the sky - instead of a crappy water based solution?

Seems like a great idea as a backup, but I’m curious about how it performs in rough weather. Seems like rain or wind could fuck it over.

>80 foot tall stream
>hard to pinpoint

also to reduce radar cross section

yes but you don't need an antenna matched to the half wavelength if you have enough power, which they probably do

Oh look, another dummy load equivalent miracle antenna. I'm sure an attached pump wouldn't add any interference on HF.
>Emergency VHF
>let me deploy my battery powered water pump operated antenna instead of this 2ft wire.
good thinking

even a few millimeters of misplaced metal can dramatically increase the radar cross section

>water is invisible to radar