LONG LIVE OPENBSD!

Hey bloatniggers, why doesnt Jow Forums switch from gentoo to openbsd? Its superior in every way, and has no CoC. Please, tell me why you beg to differ.

Attached: wut.jpg (1080x679, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129296046123471&w=2
gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/bsd/freebsd/stages/
openbsd.org/63.html
openbsd.org/i386.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

cuck license. come back when BSD in copyleft.

Attached: stallman.jpg (480x451, 57K)

It has been reported that openBSD has been backdoored by the FBI numerous times. I'm not going to take my chances.

not to mention a shitton of the code goes to OSX because it uses a cuck license.

elaborate. I would like to read more about this. Also, why would this be true of BSD, but not Linux? By that I mean, why did FBI target BSD?

>I won't use this OS because of an ancient rumor
ok

OS X piggybacks mainly on FreeBSD, although it does have some OpenBSD software such as pf and openssh. There's nothing wrong with that.

>There's nothing wrong with that.
it promotes proprietary software. Apple gets to have their cake and eat it too, it's literally free code with no legal qualms.

>gcc 4.9
these niggas serious?

>it promotes proprietary software.
And?

Last GPLv2 version. OpenBSD ships with and is compiled with clang now, and if you want updated gcc it's available in the ports tree and as a package.

audit the code, find the backdoor, get assassinated by the three letter agencies for exposing
their secret

In what way is it superior? I like the modular 'hacked together' nature GNU/Linux. OpenBSD is more holistically designed (i.e not as strong of a separation between kernel and userland, unlike "GNU" and "Linux"), and not able to withstand the kind of tinkering that Gentoo allows. Beyond that, it's simply less performant and the license is gay.

Don't get me wrong, I love OpenBSD and their philosophy, but it just doesn't make the cut for me and I don't think spending time learning it will ever pay off meaningfully.

It has built in programs that youll actually use, (xenodm, xorg, apm, mixerctl, etc etc) and has the best compatiblity with thinkpads of any os. Also, the man pages are very thurough. I wont disagree when it comes to its preformance, it takes 1 minute too boot up on my t480 with nvme.

>It has built in programs that youll actually use,
I'm aware, and that's great. But that's no argument that's going to encourage me to switch over. I could say the same to you about GNU/Linux tools being in OpenBSD, so the point is moot.

>best compatibility with thinkpads
lol, ok. Source for that claim? I don't see why it'd be better than linux, given that OpenBSD is famous for not having as good hardware support.

>man pages
This, along with the "quality of the code" meme, almost made me switch. It sounds very comfy to read through a system of simple, one-dimensional and well built tools that I can understand. It strikes me an OS that a single diligent person can graps, whereas Linux kernel alone is pushing the limit of that. I have some space on my SSD, I'm thinking about installing either OpenBSD, Plan9 or GuixSD.

>tfw have a job and am allowed to copy-paste code from my favorite OS into commercial software

Attached: pleasure.jpg (1536x1557, 777K)

everything has been reported to have FBI/NSA backdoor, really

summary from theo
marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129296046123471&w=2

there is 6.4.0 in ports

If you were keeping up to date, they're planning to move to GCC 6 soon, despite the license changes.
Presumably, they'll later update to 8, but now, in ports@ the evidence of GCC 6 coming is already there.
Finally, OpenBSD will have both a Clang and GCC from this decade.

uuuuuuuugh default layout and port configuration sucks

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-02 13-00-35.png (663x99, 6K)

I think I see a bug in df

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-02 13-02-34.png (529x40, 2K)

What's the best way to change the window manager when you already use a desktop enviroment? Want to change from metacity to compton on Marco.

>We don't use GPL, that's not free enough!
>Downloading proprietary firmware without informing the user? A-OK!
I fucking hate hypocrites.

Something in that directory is probably too big for the allocated space, user.
That's optional, cuck.
>cannot tinker to the extent as Gentoo
Open up a text editor and learn C if you think you are really missing anything.
>le FUD maymay
>cuck license
How's it cucked?

what is more secure os then

Agreed, the default layout is garbage. I should send in a diff doubling all the partition sizes. I wonder if they'd accept it or not.

TempleOS

Nice meme.

I too hate literally everybody on the planet

You retard just because it's in ports doesnt mean it'll be in core
Far from it, actually
There's a lot of GPL3+ stuff on ports, same way as there are nonfree shit you can download in most Linux distros

It's not """optional""" It installs them without user consent on first boot.

Install GentooOpenBSD, the thinking man's OS

Attached: Gentoo_OpenBSD_logo.png (1280x1024, 816K)

Its a meme you dip

Stop shilling garbage.

I find it hard to believe anyone uses this as their only operating system every day.

>Sent from my OpenBSD

Attached: Ahem-OpenBSD.png (270x321, 49K)

OpenBSD is intended to be used as a server/router/firewall, it's use as a desktop is incidental.

OpenBSD's license is what is saving them from being infiltrated by corporate/government/leftist scum. There's no reason to infiltrate them and corrupt their code, when you can just take the code and do what you want with it. Thus, OpenBSD is left alone.

I do. I only use Windows at work. I need a Linux VM for one .AppImage program.

Why are BSDfags so obssessed with GNU/Linux? Just move on with your life and be content with the fact that your OS serves a certain niche - one that is NOT being a personal OS.

It's cucked because the license allows for massive corporations to steal code and keep it proprietary.

Letting the corporations steal your code is a better alternative to having the corporations send pink-haired weaponized trannies into your development team to suicide-bomb it from within.

Incorrect opinion, but in any case I'm running 4.18 which is free from blue-haired extremists.

no wine support

I think it's assumed that if your device is connected you want it to function. If you don't want proprietary firmware you should probably stick to devices that don't require it. Also keep in mind that this isn't software run by OpenBSD and is functionally no different from the device coming with proprietary firmware and working with a FOSS driver.

>OpenBSD is intended to be used as a server/router/firewall, it's use as a desktop is incidental.
It ships with its own fork of X and several WMs in addition to being used as a desktop OS by its developers. While it may not suite you as a desktop OS, you could not be more wrong by stating that it's not a desktop OS.

>license says the corporations can use the code
>they use the code
Explain how this is theft.

Letting them use your code is a more honest position than falsely claiming that information is "property" that can be "owned." Both proprietary licenses and the GPL rely upon this false premise. Information can only be guarded or concealed - it cannot be owned. Guarding or concealing information can be one's responsibility, but information can never be property. Once the guardian of information makes it public, they have failed to guard or conceal it and they lose all control over who acquires that information and how it is used.

you mean keep their work proprietary

The only right that a person has regarding information is the right to recognition for having discovered or assembled the information.

Not on my machine (tm)

it's that or your hardware literally won't work

remove the offending hardware

One experiment with
[B]roken
[S]oftware
[D]issapointment
per lifetime is enough for this cat.
You shills should be ashamed of yourselves for recommending such an utter fucking garbage excuse for a desktop OS.

You can install Gentoo with BSD kernel and still have the ability to compile from source unlike OpenBSD

>unlike OpenBSD
what did he meant by this?

you cant compile shit from source with openbullshitshitdistro

you nigga serious?

Attached: 1513058930880.jpg (960x544, 38K)

wait, you can?

port trees are the BSDs' signature thing

but with gentoo, you can just migrate to the linux kernel if you feel the need to get rid of bsd
so theres that

What would be the advantage of installing Gentoo with the OpenBSD kernel? If there is a good reason to do this, I'll give it a try

obscure hipster reasons

>can't compile from source in OpenBSD
Wow. For one shilling Gentoo you sure are a fucking moron.
>Gentoo+BSD
That's no longer maintained.

>no longer maintained
neither is winxp, but it is still better than what is later down the road

He means the FreeBSD kernel and it's no longer maintained. The last supported kernel was like version 9 or something.

gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/bsd/freebsd/stages/

>last x64 tarball was 5 years ago
>last x86 tarball was 9 years ago

The Gentoo/FreeBSD project has been dead for a long time. Stop shilling that as a replacement for using an actual BSD system.

school'd

OpenBSD is even more of a hobbyist distro than Gentoo. Gentoo has access to a lot of software through its official ports, standalone ebuilds and overlays; after configuration things just work and you don't spend a lot of time on system maintenance after the initial setup.

OpenBSD is the most spartan OS I've ever used. You can't tinker with make.conf or whatever like Gentoo and the whole thing is very on rails but you need to invest a lot of time to do things that you take for granted on other OS's. The package repo resembles debian stable main (maybe contrib, not non-free) and you spend a lot of time arm-deep in config files.

Attached: 4E940B3E82E04AB6B19224D934911F6E.jpg (2048x1415, 516K)

Brainlet filth. Glad you guys can't ruin my favorite OS.

what windowsfags say about linux is actually true about bsd

Is there any non-meme reason to not use 4.19? Driver updates are actually useful on new hardware, but I guess you can wait until backports.

This. I've totally committed to OpenBSD and I can't stop.

Yes, I just downgraded because 4.19 has a possibility of corrupting parts of your ex4 fs.

>implying that the Linux CoC never happened
Prepare your anus for cultural enrichment, f4m.

Two words:
>Giant lock.

OpenBSD is just a shittier version of NetBSD. Except NetBSD is actually a decent OS.

Why is NetBSD decent?

It has a lot of the advantages of OpenBSD, but doesn't lose all the shit that OpenBSD has failed to implement (like having a kernel that actually has SMP support), along with some interesting bonuses like Rump Kernels.

Attached: 1wz3as.jpg (447x447, 156K)

OpenBSD explicitly supports SMP. Additional performance features such as hyperthreading must be enabled manually.

The kernel does not, it uses a giant lock instead of fine-grained locking to avoid the issue entirely.

>shilling proprietary software because muh trannies
useful idiots

there's no reason for a nigger to beat you up if you open up your asshole wide for him

Didn't work for freebsd, lmao. Also, corporations are our friends.

But openBSD is completely free software, unlike most of Linux
Not to mention corporations that supposedly "steal" code have been noted to give said "stolen" code back all the time

openbsd.org/63.html
>first listed improvement for amd64 architecture is SMP support

openbsd.org/i386.html
"OpenBSD/i386 supports most SMP (Symmetrical MultiProcessor) systems, including multi-chip, multi-core and/or hyperthreading designs. To support SMP operation, a separate SMP kernel (bsd.mp) is included with the installation file sets."

More like "Linux has become a meme"

What proprietary software, Richard?

>unlike most of Linux
what did he mean by this

>More like "Linux has become a meme"
>no u
seething

I didn't know you could turn on hyperthreading in OpenBSD. How do you do this?

arm64*
So amd64 SMP has been around for a long while.

sysctl -a | grep smt will show the option.

hw.smt=1 I think.

Seething about what? People are spreading false info and they're being corrected. If you don't accept the facts then the Linux folks are just like the priests.

I have often wondered if OpenBSD is a meme, but I can't stop using it. It's like a religion that rejects the modern world.

Not a meme.

Thanks - enabling it now!

>More like "Linux has become a meme"
wow you really slayed me with your facts and logic

>everything runs with elevated privileges
The only think that's keeping it from getting pwnd remotely is lack of networking. Local fuck ups and and user mistakes are catastrophic.

Again, kernel SMP, not system SMP.

the security comes from there being nothing useful to do on that OS worth stealing

Thanks. I strive to be the embodiment of rationality, just like my fellow enlightened 4channers.

Attached: tip.jpg (480x600, 21K)

>cuck license, CoC'd community

no thanks. just use openbsd

wew

That doesn't affect me. It doesn't stop me from using my free software. Companies can use it but they can't make some upstream change that makes my software proprietary

Attached: 130221984383.png (299x288, 85K)

4channelers*