Git as a Package Manager

Why doesn't this exist? I'm thinking about starting an LFS project just to screw around with the idea.

>tfw it's futile cuz Guix and Portage already exist

Attached: get.png (348x145, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collaborative_software#Open_source_software
gittup.org/tup/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6ta5qy/differences_between_pros_and_cons_of_gentoo_and/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Name 1 thing more reddit than git

This website

because then what will people have to donate for?
>OH WOW, LOOK AT MY DISTRO, I'VE GOT A DE PREINSTALLED AND LOGOS
Not a good marketing scheme

Doesn't it? I think Homebrew is already git based

Doesn't Funtoo use git?

This

Gentoo in general supports git, but it's used to pull the ebuilds.

Git would be rather nonsensical to manage the binaries portage has compiled by various compilers and then installs [portage is the one tracking files there].

I don't get why you want to start a distro to use git?

NixOS, Guix, CoreOS and so on all do things with something more meaningful - git is for version control on source code, not managing dependencies between packages.

>git
>website

4channel

Funtoo isn't Gentoo and apparently it does use git instead of rsync

askubuntu, it's more reddit than reddit

you mean github? how do you compare reddit with git?

who cares?

It'd be a light abstraction over git, not git directly but basically. Just to inform the user of dependencies and such, maybe offer some convienent options like suggesting cloning synergistic repos at once. And because it seems kind of comfy, it's one less thing to deal with and that strikes me as a good approach. I already install a lot of shit through git, so why not? Is it so much of a stretch to bridge the gap between between version control management and dependent managing? It just seems like bundling git and a package manager would simplify things.

Gentoo defaults its configuration to rsync, but it supports git [and I think cvs, hg, svn and so on] in Portage.
It also supports full snapshot archives that can get extracted, as well as has an installable utility that does the same with bindiffs.

Sure, Funtoo *defaults* to git, but just about every Gentoo install deviates from defaults in hundreds of ways - changing the gentoo repos URL to a git repository isn't too impressive.

Wow, this was epic. I'm never using git again, fucking redditors. Thanks for the based redpill bro.

is git over kill for sharing a single, collaborative text based log between two people? It's for a hobby project, not tech related, and it involves detailed notetaking from both parties on a single file.

Just use a Google doc.

Portage supports using git. As do various source code building tools.

I'm not 100% how you imagine a better combination to work on the source code->binary end.

And as purely as a thing that manages binaries, git is pretty bad.

It can be very useful depending on what editing style the document requires. We had a translator group at my old company and the correct use of git solved quite a lot of issues for them.

If you both don't know git yet and only have one latest version of a draft you both need to edit with some edit history being retained, there are easier options.

no, I will not use google doc

it's basically a cost/quality analysis of a product a friend and I are working on, so we record our batch results, quality, equipment costs, etc.. It's just for fun so I don't want to induce any headaches for anyone. I'm a git noob, but I'm certain my friend doesn't even know what it is. Friend does have a newer mac though, which means bash, git and emacs all come preinstalled so it wouldn't be too hard just to send him a command list or write up some scripts. I just thought there might be a more barebones option for my use case.

Well I don't really know much, it's just been a recurring idea I've had lately as I keep using git more and more (for emacs mostly), so I just got to thinking that if git just had a little wrapper around it, it'd basically be a package manager. I'm not clear on the specifics like what the "source code -> binary end" means here. Of course a git based distro would be source based, like gentoo.. ? I don't know, I'm sure I'm sounding stupid but I want answers.

Can you explain, specifically, why my idea sucks and is outclassed?

Wrong

please the only thing bad about git. is the idea that github = git.
github has pretty much cemented the idea to new developers that git = github. even though they arent related that way. thats not gits fault though.

Maybe use something like etherpad instead. Or something from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collaborative_software#Open_source_software

I don't expect most mac users to just pick up git + vim/emacs and so on. Usually they're mac users for a reason.

> Of course a git based distro would be source based, like gentoo.. ?
You could have had the idea to also put binaries in Git. Which technically works, but it's inefficient and a pain in terms of usability.

> Can you explain, specifically, why my idea sucks and is outclassed?
I think you're better off having a look at all the things that Gentoo's [or if you prefer, Exherbo's] ebuilds need to do to build all those packages with all these often pretty retarded or at least very different build systems and deployment schemes. They're already available in git, you can use that if you like.

Also have a look at the world of containers [docker and friends] and NixOS / Guix / Appimages and so on for the binary side.

The question then will be what can you add/change/make better in your own package manager, and why can't you do it in an existing project...?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collaborative_software#Open_source_software
Nice, thanks. Can't believe I didn't think to do search that but whatever, lmao. Anyhow, maybe I'll just set up a dedicated directory for him to SSH into (since that's enough with a script in place), or I'll SSH into a dedicated directory on his machine.

my inner l33t doesn't like the look of any of the options on the wiki page, so I guess I'll go with SSH or git. I wonder if Matrix chat allows any communication for this..?

there's just so much I don't know. I just thought it sounded simple and feasible. I'll look into containers more, like CoreOS right? I've never really understood what the fuck that thing does

>I think you're better off having a look at all the things that Gentoo's [or if you prefer, Exherbo's] ebuilds need to do to build all those packages with all these often pretty retarded or at least very different build systems and deployment schemes.
Can't I just offload this to the user? What's so bad about just git cloning for every single program you need (though again, it'd be sort of wrapper so you'd bundle some things, and wouldn't have to type a thousand commands).

I think I already have a good name for it too

>I've never really understood what the fuck that thing does
Lightweight distro on which to run docker / rkt containers in a cluster.

> Can't I just offload this to the user?
No, that's what a source-based package manager needs to do to compile and install shit in a halfway systematic way?

It's not a package manager if it only aliases a short project name to a git URL and runs clone/checkout on that, leaving everything afterwards to the user.

No, anything using git is reddit tier, this goes for gitlab gitbooru etc

why? explain why being based around git makes something reddit tier

And Gentoo...?

Anyhow, git is a Linux thing. What the fuck does Reddit in particular have to do with it? They might initially even have liked bzr or hg more than git.

you care way too much about reddit

t. redditors

Git is a Linux project. Reddit deserves exactly as much credit for it as this Gabonese soda making forum.

>Gitbooru
sounds good i'll be using it

FRBR

you're the one who can't stop talking about it and revolving your decisions around it, lmao just downvoted u loser

GitOS when

gittup.org/tup/
this could be one but lacks a lot of shit

add ACCEPTED_KEYWORDS="**" to your /etc/portage/make.conf
enjoy having to recompile your programs every commit faggot

I seriously hope you guys don't deploy software with git in $CURRENT_YEAR.

Neck yourself, and make sure to jump from high enough so that the fall snaps your neck and it all ends quickly.

Isn't that what Funtoo does?
Regardless, Guix exists, so nothing else matters.

reddit lives in your head rent-free. MAJOR yikes from me, dog. Just realize you are tsundere for reddit and leave you stinky nigger.

stop replying to bait god damn fuck shit this is such a big Jow Forums problem you guys are so easy to rile up

No one is riled up, and this thread is objectively better than the consumer whore war cancer that is the vast majority of other threads.

Differences between Gentoo & Funtoo?

Retard alert

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6ta5qy/differences_between_pros_and_cons_of_gentoo_and/ :^)

Attached: 1504895829793.png (1440x1388, 3.91M)

haha, thanks