What is the truth about game development...

What is the truth about game development? I've seen a lot of shit on Jow Forums and elsewhere that game development is both an underpaid and overworked field, is this true? Does this mean I should avoid a gaymer job out of college? Otherwise, any insight would be great. I don't consider myself a gamer, but I know mathematics is heavily used in creating games, hence my interest. Also I'm still in college.

Attached: 1541448076838.jpg (1536x2048, 863K)

video games are for children
business software is for adults
do you want your customers to be adults with jobs and money or do you want them to be a bunch of whiny babies?

I want a job that interests me. The target audience makes no difference to me.

>I've seen a lot of shit on Jow Forums and elsewhere that game development is both an underpaid and overworked field, is this true?
Yes.
>Does this mean I should avoid a gaymer job out of college?
Yes.
>I know mathematics is heavily used in creating games
It's really not heavily used. Anyone telling you otherwise is lying.

That's disappointing, but what makes it overworked and underpaid? I'm guessing it's the hours to pay ratio?

those two sentences are contradictory

How's that? Why would I care what retards spend their money on?

Lots of people want to make video gaymes for some reason. So there is a large supply of people and not a huge demand.

>why would i care who my customers are when i literally have to spend all day at work catering to their needs
are zoomers really this dumb

Do you care that the majority of your taxes goes to the military and welfare? If not than you're a hypocrite

Who dis

>most customers are dumb businessmen
>have to code moron-proof software
>most customers are sumb gaymers
>have to code moron-proof software
The target audience is always dumb, because it only takes one moron to force the whole product to be idiot proof.

It varies wildly. Some places can be great to work at, some places can be horrible

the difference is dumb businessmen have $$$, 12 year old gamers don't
yes

>underpaid and overworked field
yes
>Does this mean I should avoid a gaymer job out of college?
depends

if you're interested in making your own game and getting it on Steam, then working at a game dev company will be beneficial purely because you'll get a lot of experience in that field

If you want to make your own game you should do just that and not waste your time at a shitty studio
But people like the OP who say "hmm should i get into gamedev it sounds interesting" don't have the initiative or drive to do so in the first place, the people who succeed at making their own games are already doing it without needing to ask

>If you want to make your own game you should do just that and not waste your time at a shitty studio
what a dumb statement, I've worked at a game company for 2.5 years and the things I learned there helped me immensely when I started working on my own game

I doubt you've ever worked at a game company, so my advice to you is: shut the fuck up and don't speak with absolute confidence about things you have no experience with

I have worked at a game company, I would say you don't neccessarily learn anything at a company that you can't learn outside of it, but the point I was trying to make is you shouldn't try to find employment first before attempting to do it on your own

attempting to do it on your own implies you have a lot of money to spare on the development itself plus the costs of living, and I doubt a lot of people have that luxury

honestly getting employed at a game dev company for the sake of working on games is a dumb decision itself, especially if there are better paying jobs out there, but imo it's still beneficial from a learning standpoint to work in a game company, at least for a year or two

>attempting to do it on your own implies you have a lot of money to spare on the development itself plus the costs of living
or you live with your parents

>being a financial drain
come on man

Most people on Jow Forums are under 20 and still in the school system
That's the best time for developing your skills in your own time

but a huge bonus if your game doing great

that's true, I thought he meant being unemployed outside of school/college/uni and working on your games

probably because with the same degree you could get a job that pays better

seething rentcuck

>I don't know math
>I only went into cs cuz I liek computer gaems
Get the fuck out retard

not that bad of an option either if you have something promising going

I work with enterprise programs and many customers behave like children.

just shit out awful mobile games. steal ideas and reskin them. Release the same game 3 times with slight changes to assets. It's seriously the easiest fucking money you can make for the low effort it takes.

development > design

It's a fun and challenging hobby that forces you to constantly develop new skills to keep up with your passions.
Business-wise it's an incredibly impacted field which 'can' pay well but is more likely to bleed you dry and rip out your soul first. It's recommended that you get a career doing something else.

You see all those autists that bitch about "muh pirates take money away from devs"? Yeah, that's total and utter bullshit. Devs only get paid in advance by the company they work for. And maybe once in a while, some get royalties. The cash doesn't just flow in after he profits roll in. That's why game devs are (((underpaid))).
Faggots bitch about people not buying their shitfests while in reality it is their employers that fuck them over. And since there are plenty of supply of these faggots, no one cares enough to properly take care of them.

>You see all those autists that bitch about "muh pirates take money away from devs"? Yeah, that's total and utter bullshit
It takes money away from the publishers who fund games therefore if piracy is bad they dont fund more games
are you really this stupid
and if you're self-publishing then it does take money directly away from the developers (although the question of whether the pirate would have bought your game or not if they couldn't pirate is still open, some of them definitely would)

Loads and loads of overtime work, basically. I wouldn't go anywhere near videogame development.

The vidya game industry is bigger than the Hollywood movie industry, so someone must be spending money on games

Flappy chickens 2019 deluxe coming up

That's a cute girl.
I really like how the reflection of her ear rings matches the reflection of those metal pieces on her bikini. And her necklace also fits those pieces, and it's at the same level as the bikini thingies!
Nice symmetry!
Just unsure whether she should get a belly button piercing to add another level to this symmetry, or if that would deter from it.

Sauce?

Attached: 1537771774987.jpg (1000x1000, 88K)

Imagine being this depressing.
As someone who works on business software, it's mind-numbing. There's precious little room for any real creativity and the end product literally puts me to sleep. business software is only for the money. There is no passion behind it.
That said, game dev is both underpaid and overworked, but it's challenging work with rewarding results. The code is often horrendously ugly and messy because after you release, who gives a shit as long as it works and code review process is way way less stringent and so stuff gets in that may break the game, but otherwise the games take too long to make.

Do business software to build up experience and earn money, game dev for fulfilment.

Our game developer teacher was a huge cunt, he is the very reason I stopped playing games, and for that I thank him. But still, he is such an annoying cunt

Game development is a good hobby
Wouldn't work in it though, worst places to work without a doubt

>It takes money away
money you would never make doesn't exist

Attached: 1518948263440.png (230x219, 5K)

your mom

>>I know mathematics is heavily used in creating games
>It's really not heavily used. Anyone telling you otherwise is lying.
Probably true in the general case, though small independent projects might use some. The thing is, most of the heavy lifting is done in third party libraries and I know some in these fields are heavily into mathematics and physics, also with a PhD.

I especially like her manface

Who is this fluid druid?

>There's precious little room for any real creativity and the end product literally puts me to sleep. business software is only for the money. There is no passion behind it.
This is how we can all tell you're not an adult. The whole point of working is to make money. There's a time and place for creativity, it's called preschool

Attached: npc.jpg (680x568, 25K)

God damn I love teens at the beach

My captcha was a prison bus

Me too. That's why she needs my cum all over it in order to force feminize it.

your cum is feminine?

does anyone want to work on creating a game together for the purpose of making money

The issue with gamedev is that it's an extremely amateur industry with too much activity.
It's the same as a sweatshop. Unless you are a fucking genious working on serious technology, like unreal engine, you are just another shitter to be chewn and spit out.

game dev probably gets a bad rep here because people assume its just brainlet unityfags drag/dropping assets like /agdg/

theres difference because being a indie game dev and being a game engine dev. if ur actually working on the game engine, thats one of the most difficult programming fields (integrating graphics, math, physics, multithreading, networking together and running at ideally 60 fps).

he's a girl (male)

Not sure if weak bait or sad fuck

Attached: 1534397846884.jpg (539x405, 35K)

crazy that this still works. lots of money in mobile games

bump

how

retards be retards

are you making money doing this? i'm curious about the market research/marketing part

>game development is both an underpaid and overworked field, is this true?
game programmers earn roughly the same as a regular programmer
but job conditions can be pretty shitty
>I don't consider myself a gamer, but I know mathematics is heavily used in creating games, hence my interest.
If you aren't interested in games there's zero reason to get into the field, it's not really math heavy either, just be a regular programmer

bup

>video games are for children
No they aren't.

Either through microtransactions or charging $2-$4 for the game and people tend to just quickly/loosely buy those