Can you survive with a free computer?

Some people simply give away 10 year old Intel Core 2 duo settis.

Let's assume it has 64-bit capable CPU and at least 2GB RAM and at least 32GB HDD.

Can you manage to use internet with only such an outdated computer without spending any money (except for the electricity bill and internetwork costs)?

Yes you can. It is simple: do not use Windows but use instead Debian Linux or maybe Slackware.

You can do anything that needs to be done in the internet to manage around modern society. More powerful computer is not curently an requirement.

HOWEVER 64-bit is now almost mandatory. 32-bit support is diminishing for necessary web browsing software. 32-bit is not future proof.

Attached: 1543611652_tux_story.jpg (760x430, 25K)

You answered your queation. What is the purpose of this thread?

A better thread died for this one.

My daily driver is still a core2duo laptop. Runs fine. Dunno what you're being so uppity about.

>32-bit is not future proof
NO SHIT

it is an info thread for those who are in doubt if they can really manage with such an old computer

here you can ask questions about exact requirements of the old computer and ask what possible troubles you may encounter and I provide an answer

I'm doing this right now with a Core2 Duo machine I got for free. It came with 4GB RAM and an 80GB HDD in it. I upgraded it a bit with spare parts I had laying around so now it has 6GB, a 128GB SSD, a 500GB HDD, and it's running Q4OS.

I have no idea why you think this wouldn't be enough.

Attached: 1515072780773.gif (334x183, 159K)

dude, 2 years ago 32-bit was still perfectly fine, only now troubles are starting to appear

Nobody is wondering anything about this and nobody needs you to answer anything about it.

I thought this Jow Forums seemed to be full of clueless people

It is, and you're one of them.

I still use a core duo (32 bit) with win7 for my laptop. I have up to date web browsers and performance is fine.

SSds spoiled me So I'd need one instead of a HDD, otherwise it's perfectly manageable.

Well, mechanical hard disks seem to be one of the largest bottlenecks for performance on any PC made in the last 10+ years. If a machine supports SATA2 it'll more than likely benefit greatly from an SSD upgrade.

>64-bit capable CPU and at least 2GB RAM and at least 32GB HDD
yes

you can use firefox 63 on a pentium3 with 1gb ram
mpv plays all your shit up to 720p

You don't need an SSD you want one. You can do exactly the same things on a hard drive only a little bit slower.

>HOWEVER 64-bit is now almost mandatory. 32-bit support is diminishing for necessary web browsing software. 32-bit is not future proof.
huh? i don't see 32bit build support going away any time soon, and browsers don't need /that much/ ram

it still is
the fact that google dropped for chrome and some faggots decided because of that stop compiling for it doen't make it not work for browsing the internet

>free computer
>post logo of nonfree kernel
The fruit of telemarketing.

You can travel all the same places on foot that you can on a bicycle, only a little bit slower.

Attached: 1526602899484.gif (360x346, 170K)

a core2duo with 2G ram and 32GB of space is not a particularly limiting system
common things like office work, web browsing, etc will work perfectly fine without any special software choices/considerations

my laptop has a core2duo and 1G ram, and works just fine for common tasks

>at least 2GB RAM
I miss the times when I upgraded my computer to 512MB and I was complete god among my friends.
Now you need fucking 2gb and also be tech savvy to even use internet.
And this happened in last 10-13 years

videos arent a problem, browsers are

yeah firefox 32 bit still exist but for how long
does it still support all web pages?

>browsers are
no they aren't

NIGGERS ARE LYING TO YOU TO PUSH THEIR FREE AGENDA.
I HAVE A PENTIUM PROCESSOR FROM 2013 AND FOUR GIGS OF RAM AND CAN'T DO SHIT, I CAN ONLY IMAGINE WHAT TWENTY YEAR OLD HARDWARE IS DOING FOR THEM. FUCK YOU NIGGERS, I'LL GO FREE WHEN NEW SHEITTT COMES OUT

Additional: can you survive with 20 year old computer?

You can't!
Fastest 20 year old computer is 500MHz AMD K6-2. It may have 384MB RAM at maximum.

RAM is enough actually if you know what you are doing.

The machine will support 128GB HDD (or SSD if you manage to use PATA SSD) which is entirely fine.

But what are the troubles then?
For one thing, 500MHz is terribly slow. But this isnt the only problem.

The real problem is, Linux no longer supports this hardware! Linux will not boot.

You need to use Linux kernel 2.x.x.
That causes a whole lot of security problems if not causing problems in finding web browsers that can be compiled in the system.

If you like waiting literally microcenturies, it works perfectly fine. I have a c2d at work with 4 GB ram. Old ddr2.
Browse the web? It's ok. Not enjoyable, but "ok".
Write word documents? Slow and painful as hell, especially when the documents start getting big. Open office makes it more palatable, but still bad.
If this PC was used at home for recreation, I wouldn't be bothered so much, but it would still be annoying as fuck. But this POS is used for a company to make money. I lose 5 or more seconds out of every minute waiting for this piece of shit to catch up to me. It doesn't have virtualization features, which I need sometimes.
The only reason for a home user to use a c2d is because it's dirt cheap. Remember you get what you pay for.

Your Pentium is the problem more than the year you got it. If you had a high end CPU from 2010(literally an older CPU of higher quality) you wouldn't be complaining.

In 2011 it was already possible to have a mobile quad core cpu, 1.8GHz for all cores, 2,5GHz turbo for one of them as situation requires

such a CPU is very great even now for anything except gaming

Im not sure about 2010

try getting an SSD
using more ram on average means less is available for disk cache, so you're hitting the hdd more than you would be on a machine with tons of ram
my core2duo laptop boots in ~4 seconds (not including firmware) with an ssd

>The only reason for a home user to use a c2d is because it's dirt cheap
No intel ME is another plus.

>do not use Windows
Why?
>but use instead Debian Linux or maybe Slackware
Other operating systems exist, is the point of this thread using older computers or shilling linux?

Windows XP isnt very safe for internet

But Im not against Windows XP

>Some people simply give away 10 year old Intel Core 2 duo settis.
I still use my Core2Duo ThinkPad on a daily basis.
>Can you manage to use internet with only such an outdated computer without spending any money (except for the electricity bill and internetwork costs)?
Yes i can and it runs Win10 LTSC just fine.
>It is simple: do not use Windows but use instead Debian Linux or maybe Slackware.
Go fuck yourself stupid freetard, let people use what works for them.

Other windows versions, and operating systems exist that could be a better choice for certain people and the particular hardware. This is just another linux shill thread, you people are garbage.

this, sadly
better get linux libre

Windows XP is the only Windows that can beat Linux in terms of speed and hardware support

This is why I regard it the only worthy one
It is sad the internet part with XP isnt anymore safe

t: I migrated to Linux from WinXP when it was no longer very useable, newer Windows was crap

I used my Pentium E5700 with 2GB ddr2 until last year when I bought a Skylake. Kinda slow, but I could browse the web and play old crap just fine