Routers

Router thread, ddrwt, opn/pfsense, even proprietary crap and "gaming" routers welcome.

Post if you got something nonstandard setup on it.
If you got 802.11ac on it, please post maximum throughput you're getting transferring files, if you're using a separate AP, post transfer speeds as well I guess

Attached: Asus_RT-AC5300_RTR_1.jpg?fit=fill&bg=0FFF&w=1512&h=869&auto=format,compress.jpg (1512x869, 52K)

Are there any routers that allow more than one external hard drive to be attached via USB and shared on the network?

Probably, but why would you use your router with limited filesystem and OS capabilities as a fileserver instead of a different machine?

Try a USB hub.

Most are barely capable of managing one, why two?
wouldnt some kind of NAS suit that better?

pfFaggot here, ask me anything.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-02 Status Dashboard - pfSense home.png (2549x2583, 608K)

Do you've got enough antennas there, mate?

But to answer your question, it appears AsusWRT has USB hub support. so if you get an asus router and put AsusWRT on it, you can get a hub and put in multiple usb devices.
As i said though, its probably gonna be taxing on a router's chipset.

Nah, these "new" routers come with overkill hardware like 4xA57 cores, that can handle 1Gbit file throughput without issue.

I used to buy only DD-WRT routers and vouch for them all the time, but since 2016 APR, non of the versions worked with DDNS and a lot of the versions would softbrick and be stuck on what ever version was flashed at the time till I 30/30/30 and reverted to stock or tftp the damn thing. Not to mention DD-WRT hard crashing when ever it hit near 3K connections.

Bit the bullet and flashed the ones that were compatible to OpenWRT and while it took a considerably longer time to set up and needed packages for every little thing like UPNP and multiple packages just to get samba working, it's been able to handle around 5K connections without hard crashing although LUCI would still become unresponsive until the number of connections went down.

My main router runs Merlin though as it's just easier to use.

Currently personally use.
Asus RT-AC68U, Merlin, main router.
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, OpenWRT 18.06.1, main router at shop, also handles light NAS duty separate from the main storage server.
DLink DIR-825 B1, OpenWRT 18.06.1, backup router.
DLink DIR-600 B1, OpenWRT 18.06.1, can't handle 100mbps througput.

Also have used,
TP-Link TL-WR841ND, stock firmware, super cheap, no frills, just works.
TP-Link C1200, stock firmware, can't flash, for the love of god don't buy this pile of shit, usb storage functionality is incompatible with non latin characters and just fucks everything up.
DGL-4300, stock firmware, pretty good at the time, basically melted and died.
DI-514/524 Had a lot of these dinky little things back in the 802.11b/g days, have a friend that still have 2~3 of these in low traffic areas around his 5 floor home with better routers doing the heavy lifting.
Asus RT-AC1300UHP, friend bought this for his new home for 36% off, doesn't seem to be flashable, but hey, I set it up for him, 8 wifi devices, 2 computers, a TV box and a PS4 on a 100M/40M FTTB line and he's happy.
A few Tendas which had no firmware support or many functions but they didn't seem to crash.

>be ausfag
>Gubmint makes NBN
>Move to new house
>Has beautiful GPON Fibre
>PPPoE
>Have dream RT-AC68U setup
>Gubmint changes, no more GPON for Ausfags
>Have to move
>New place isnt as new, has VDSL2+
>No PPPoE for me, shitty VDSL hardware provided by ISP or go out and buy a modem.
Makes me sad.

You can basically disable everything on the VDSL2+ modem and still use your AC68U for PPPOE and virtually everything else.

I know. its just sad that having GPON was so nice and then i had to go back to VDSL.
At least the modem isn't telstra's garbage. People ask me all the time why their internet sucks and half the time its because they are using some half baked ISP hackjob firmware on a cheap underpowered router.

VDSL2+ isn't too bad, I mean my modem is a DSL-6740C VDSL2 and it works wonderfully, after I disabled everything and let my router do the work.

We can't even buy our own modems here because while my place is a single line 100Mbps, my friends place is dual line DSL-7740C which basically 2 50Mbps lines bonded together.

ISP called a few days ago and said they are going to start rolling out 300Mbps~1GBps to my area soon, $10 USD more to go from 100/40 to 300/100, I can't wait. Real FTTH instead of FTTB and copper.

Attached: 3ping.png (352x124, 10K)

Why most routers still WPA2? Isn't it obsolete already since WPA3 is already here?

Which hardware do you run it on?

Pfsense noob here, few questions:

what kind of hardware this is running on(netgate?), switch - APs you have connected to this box.

It's going to be a while till routers and hardware catch up.

That's like asking why routers aren't all 802.11 AX, AD or 802.11AC Wave2 TriBAND

Hardware is apu2c4, you can see on the left side. This is not netgate hardware but it's a pretty common build.
The switch is a Unifi us-8-60w and the AP is a Unifi AP-AC-LR, 2017 model.

Thanks. How hot does it get on high load?

Around 60C, tjmax is 90C so nothing to worry about.

Linksys E1200 With TomatoUSB

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 215K)

Any recommendations on routers with around 10 ports, vlan capability and enough CPU for at least 2Gbit bandwith? I guess mikrotik RB4011 or some Ubuquite EdgeRouter would be what I need, but I'm very open to alternatives.

btw this router works perfectly fine but it really feels like my needs have outgrown an old entry level router so I might be buying a new one sometime soon.

Switches have VLANs, and you want a managed switch, not a router.
Your router needs two ports, three if you want WAN fallback but it's most of the time not necessary.

I would prefer to have everything in one device. I know there are good reasons to have multiple dedicated devices for everything, but at home I prefer one single device and that's it.

Switches and routers are very different things, user. your router cannot do VLANs without a managed switch.
You can achieve something similar to VLANs with firewall rules, but that's not real VLAN

What's the best way to set up a router to be a clone/slave of another? I have a router upstairs (connected to the modem) and i bought another for downstairs and I want them both to have the same ssid and password so devices will switch to either one automatically but I only want the upstairs one to actually route traffic and hand out IPs. They have a physical connection via cat6 in the wall.

I don't know what you are talking about. There are many so called routers out there that are capable of vlan. Internally they have functions of a router and a switch, but even cheap consumer devices have this. I have never seen a pure router in my life. It's completely normal to combine those two things in one device.

It's just that normal consumer devices have shitty hardware and even shittier software and vlan is not often an official feature. But routers like the Ubiquite EdgeRouter or Mikrotik RB4011 absolutely support vlan.

Set up Mesh Wifi, Asus routers support it by default.

Bridge mode is as close as you're gonna get to actual mesh on TPLINK stock firmware.

I setup so that every DNS request automatically gets forwarded to my default DNS servers, Android and some shit like termux like to use 8.8.8.8 regardless of what your phone DHCP set at its DNS, well fuck them. Not anymore.

An important reminder.

Change your fucking router channel!

You aren't going to get the best range and speeds if everyone is parked on 2.4 channels 1, 6, and 11.

Or, be an ass and use wifi signal boosters to wreck everyone's shit.

Where can a noob like me learn about network hardware and software?
Is it any harder to learn than googling which MOBA is compatible with which CPU and RAM?

Easiest way is to probably just google and youtube.

It's not like you need to learn about token ring networks or other old shit unless you plan to make a career out of being an network administrator.

t. using 10 year old linksys router with tomato, along with with an asus rt-n10p with ddwrt as a wireless AP.

The linksys sucks for wireless, and the rt-n10p sucks for routing. Solution is to make the linksys do the routing and the rt-n10p do the wireless. Complete perfection achieved. Also using a small gig switch connected to the router so my lan has gig speeds.

its ugly but it works

Attached: 1537657481608.jpg (603x324, 99K)