/spg/ - Smartphone General

Rugged Phone Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: kyocera-duraforce-pro-2.jpg (960x960, 464K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8313#show
sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/download/index.html
samsung.com/semiconductor/about-us/manufacturing-centers/
xda-developers.com/motorola-moto-g6-moto-e5-series-poor-software-support/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1543296459241.gif (540x540, 279K)

I will be content with my XZ since all phones in the market are chinkshit or trash right now.

Buying a case for a phone is like buying a pc case for your pc case, it's so fucking stupid. Phones are absolutely shitty things.

NO!
Stick to Samsung and avoid all chinkphones

Pixel 2 XL for $570 or OP6T for $544?

what’s the best android phone i can buy that isn’t two handed? i live in the UK, haven’t decided on a carrier yet and there’s no budget. just as long as it’s not too big.

>3 GB RAM
>horrible battery life: >gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8313#show
>horrible camera
>sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/download/index.html
Yeah, great device.
>Stick to Samsung and avoid all chinkphones
Retard.
samsung.com/semiconductor/about-us/manufacturing-centers/

XA2
XZ1c
XZ2c

Ignore Sony-haters.

Any solution for an iPhone that hangs on the boot screen?

Attached: 20181202_074432.jpg (720x960, 50K)

Well, I'm really fucked right now. The screen on my nexus 5 is cracked, but while the screen kinda works, the digitizer is toast

Is there a way to get my files off of there despite that? I really need my photos, texts, stuff like that.

I'm kicking myself for not backing anything up sooner, fuck

>iPhone hangs on boot screen
Usually means that the device was reported stolen.

>what’s the best android phone i can buy that isn’t two handed?
That depends on how big your hands are. What's your budget? Pixel 3 and Galaxy S9 are both pretty compact. If you want something cheaper then Nokia 8 or XZ1 are ~£200. If those aren't small enough then Sony XZ1 Compact or XZ2 Compact.

USB OTG cable + mouse

I'll look into that then. Thanks, I pretty much freaked out there.

Does anyone know if the moto g6 is any good at all though? I really need a cell, and it's on sale for $200 on amazon. I can't really afford much more than that at the moment.

Shut up, Beijing.

Is android 9 officially confirmed for Mi A1, or is it just speculation?

Don't get the Amazon Exclusive phones, they've got unremovable Amazon bloatware and the bootloader is permanently locked.

What carrier you on? Nokia 6.1 is probably your best option at c. $200 but it's only compatible with the GSM carriers.

I'm on Metro PCS, which is basically T-Mobile now, I think

Same user with the broken Nexus 5, I forgot to ask why you think the Nokia has an advantage over the Moto.

I'm doing the research, and they're not so different, but maybe I'm missing something.

alright man, thanks. i’ll look there.

>it's so fucking stupid.

No, it's just a partial, optional case swap. LaQueefa wants thin fashion appliances and can't care about protecting them. People who use phones as tools in shop environments often benefit from rugged cases and those are trivially cheap. Aftermarket cases can house larger batteries so there's that.

Pussy bitches who want to admire their delicate thin phone can do that. Men who get shit done can armor up. Everyone wins. Now go find something intelligent to snivel about.

It's confirmed, since it's part of the Android One program which guarantees two years of android version updates. I'm pretty sure they even mentioned during the Mi A1 launch presentation that it'll be getting Android Pie.

The processor is much better (SD630 vs. SD450), the build quality is more solid, no useless glass back. The display gets brighter, and it supports GCam which improves the camera quality a lot. Nokia's update support is also better, it recently got Android Pie and will get Android Q next year. Security updates also come on time. Motorola's update support is poor in comparison:
xda-developers.com/motorola-moto-g6-moto-e5-series-poor-software-support/

Gib it back, Jamal.

THIS is why my files live on a MicroSD card. Break phone? Swap card, problem fucking solved. Any phone without a card slot is a piece of shit.

This. Those cables are fucking wonderful.

If your PC sees your phone as a mass storage device just connect and copy to your hard disk, then save as a backup. Expect everything to break and always be prepared.

Pixel2 has problems and it's already a generation old.
6T is flawless

Huh... Thanks, I'll look more into that then. After dealing with the nexus 5's shitty plastic, an all metal body sounds pretty nice right about now.

Was there any other notable things about the Nokia that you know about though? I really have to make a purchase in a hurry. I need a phone for work and family.

I feel the same way desu. If it weren't for the fact that my Nexus 5 was a gift, I would've gotten something that had a micro sd slot.

Anyone have this phone?
Worried about getting a phone that was released so recently, but like that I could get something that won’t break if I accidentally drop it once or twice.
There has to be a catch with the price point so low, besides the battery life.
Boot it in DFU mode and restore a backup via iTunes

Attached: 071E9F97-48F2-4E00-AC02-515610BF2F0B.gif (498x372, 1.61M)

I forgot the passcode

I've been using this phone as my "daily driver" for a while now (okay I prolly cheated a bit since I still use my tablet for stuff like whatsapp or telegram) but yeah after couple month of using the phone I feel somewhat liberated from smartphone. Stuff like browsing random websites or watching random youtube vids become more tedious since I usually place my tablet inside my bag, and being a lazy fuck that I am, I only open the tablet once every couple of hour to check whatsapp/telegram messages or while I'm chilling out at a diner or whatever. So I'd spend more time on being human, looking at the surrounding, having small talks with the neighbors, et cetera

Now if I'm going outside for a brief time (jogging, going to grocery store or whatnot) I always leave the tablet at home simply because it's too awkward to carry in my pocket. I have everything I need, basic call/text messaging, mp3 player and a little flashlight, which is actually pretty useful. The phone also weigh nothing which is nice

Attached: IMG-20181202-WA0002.jpg (500x1000, 41K)

l

Attached: IMG-20181202-WA0004.jpg (500x1000, 29K)

I mean it's about 450 bucks for a sd630, you're mostly paying for the ruggedness. You can get an SD636 for 200 bucks or less.

>headphone jack, sd card support, top tier specs
guess I'm POZZED

Nothing wrong with dumbphones if it's covering your needs. I mean there's definitely a market for even more barebones than dumbphone phones like the Light Phone.

Phones like that make me lol
don't cases like the lovemei and unicorn beetle offer perfect protection too?

Is unlocking the bootloader gonna trigger "DM-Verity Failed" on OP3? (Oreo)

based

I wish I could bomb Sony's phone plant off the earth, they frustrate me to no end. It's the easiest thing in the world to fix their camera software yet they won't do it. Dumb fucking nips, I'm switching over to the Chinese now.

I assume part of that cost is the sapphire screen, it's legit scratch-proof but that can't be cheap and they probably don't move enough phones to make a profit with quantity sold.

Is the Redmi Note 4X still a good budget phone?

What the fuck is wrong with the Samsung S8? I'm getting low fps in a game and if I tab out of the game and back it runs smooth for like 10 seconds before going back to shit fps

No. It is outdated. Pick redmi note 5/6, mi A2 or mi 8 lite.

Yes, it is.

chances of seeing more deals in the next week? should i just jump on whatever now?

cant imagine being gay enough to own a phone with only one screen

Attached: bnnnnnnnvnv.jpg (166x304, 7K)

>redmi note 5/6
>meme corners
>notch
No thanks.

all phones from now on will have rounded corners

stop being a faggot OP, if you're going to post a rugged phone at least make sure its good like pic related

Attached: Screenshot_Via_20181129-101805.png (1080x1920, 241K)

Mi a2 or mi 8 lite ?

Mi A2 if you want stock Android
Mi 8 Lite if you want OLED screen
has anyone figured out if the Mi 8 Lite throttles like the A2?

Planned obsolescence
stick to Oneplus

When's the real Redmi Note 5 successor comimg out? RN6 was garbage.

Mi 8 lite screen is IPS

I own a Mi 8 Lite.
Go with A2 if you want stock android, slightly better camera and no notch.
Mi 8 lite if you like MIUI and a fancier design.
Mi 8 Lite doesn't have OLED screen.

Don't get the bloated Amazon model.

do you know how to check for how many hours the phone was on? like on samsung tvs where you reach the hidden menu and you can check everything

huh, didn't know that
what about throttling like in the A2?

Consider the Moto e5 Play and e5 Plus. You might as well get the Metro model.
The T Mobile models should also work. Simple Mobile has an e5 that should work as well.

Getting a phone made for these carriers is important because they support all the T Mobile bands, in particular, Band 71.

Thermal throttling? I don't know desu. I have never played an intensive game at this phone.

ran any benchmarks?

Anyone have experience with the iPhone upgrade program?

I have never ran any benchmarks. I have facebook running in the background and no lags whatsoever so it's more than enough for me.

>Facebook
Christ and people say the chink botnet is bad, Zuckerschnoz is literally listening to every fucking word you say within vicinity of your phone

Not point in getting a year old Xiaomi phone when it isn't significantly cheaper than the current year models

what's your routine like when you get a new phone Jow Forumsuys?

If I cared about botnets then I shouldn't be using an android phone right now.

All I’ve ever known besides dumb phones is the iPhone, but I used a burner until maybe 2010.
I don’t even know what to look for in a new phone since there’s no games, but even the Kyocera looked better than the iPhone 6 models on paper.
I’d splurge on a good phone if there was anything worthwhile that wasn’t the new iPhone since I’m just buying the brand and can’t jailbreak it any time soon. Even if I could jailbreak it, there’s no great features/games/etc that come from it.

B-b-but muh millimeters. Thinner is better. Bezel-less is better. Notch is better.

Anyone here owns a 6T? I need a new phone and it is between mi mix 2s or the 6t

BUT what REALLY are the best android apps to have?

Attached: 1543360430547.jpg (1263x1920, 816K)

I'm tired of being an iCuck, and was looking for a budget phone, maybe the S8 plus or S8 active. Which S8 is better? Unless someone can recommend me something better.
>inb4 POCO
>inb4 someone suggest something with no 3.5mm

Attached: i need you to read my post.jpg (676x676, 22K)

not entirely true
you can flash a ROM that supports signature spoofing, flash Microg and have little to no botnet depending on what apps you use

Write to the phone company to give me a hard copy of the GPL License and ask for the kernel source code of the phone.

Which selection of apps are better and why?
Apple App Store
or
Google Play Store
(Bonus points for listing must-have apps and what they do/why you’ve listed them)

>notch
You can hide it and the Note 5 doesn't have it.
>If I cared about botnets then I shouldn't be using an android phone right now.
>what are custom ROMs and microG

Nokia 7.1

>More chink shit
>Goos
What did he mean by this?

>and was looking for a budget phone, maybe the S8 plus or S8 active
How are either of those budget devices? And besides, you wouldn't be making much of an upgrade, since both are locked down just as Samsung's mid-range devices.
Might be your best choice if you're in the US.

>kyocera
>good
>paying $450 for a SD630 device
if you think that kyocera isn't made in China you're a moron, also the X2 has a SD 653 which shits all over the 630, and its cheaper than that nip/chink locked down piece of shit

OP6 YOU FOOL!

Strawmanning. It's a pile of shit and incompatibilities outside of its home country and you know it.

hmmmmm....

Attached: Screenshot_Via_20181202-105852.png (1080x1920, 301K)

nice

If you're a burger who can't get 4g with the Poco just say so so people don't recommend it. Also what is the budget?

$300 budget, can go $100 more if need be. I'd love the POCO, but I don't want a glorified MP3 player.

I really want that 3.5mm though. Maybe the OP5T?

Attached: please continue to read my posts.png (748x1049, 120K)

>I'd love the POCO, but I don't want a glorified MP3 player.
You can thank your carriers for that.

At $300, if you get anything but the Poco, you are cucking yourself. That is simply it.

Oh nvm you're a burger, grab the Xperia XZ1, it's got good specs and goes for $200-$300 depending.

NOKIA 7.1 YOU FUCKING RETARD
IT'S $300 AT BEST BUY RIGHT NOW AND HAS WHAT YOU WANT

XZ2 Compact or OP6T? Although I like small form-factor phones I can't help but think I'm getting more for $550 with the OP6T than for $500 with the XZ2 Compact.
Also is Sony trying to axe their Compact lineup? Usually a compact version of their flagship phone is launched the same day their flagship is revealed but this hasn't happened with the XZ3.

>no netflix hd
>touch delay
>absolutely disgusting voice quality
I'll never get anything chinese again

OP6 has the 3.5mm and pretty good software, plus you can get 8gb ram.

Anyone know how to fix this? I might just look into getting a refund for this phone if this can't be easily fixed

End my suffering Jow Forums
Samsung S8 or Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

XZ1 Compact

There wasn't an XZ compact either so maybe they just skipped. Or maybe they did axe it this time.

Depends how important the camera is for you.

Attached: 1528823601492.png (1228x1066, 968K)

>
using netflix
>
will be fixed in next update
>
only if you're a band-starved burger

Is anyone shilling the S8/S8 active or is it a shitter phone?

OP6 does look pretty nice, but I'd pretty much have to buy it new and $430 is REALLY pushing my $300 budget. Any other reason why I should go OP6 over a refurbished S8+?
S8 refurbs go for $300 and has better battery life, aesthetics, and specs. Get fucked.
>
I've seen some people shit on the XZ1 that it was designed like an ugly brick and average at best. Personally, it looks fine but is a bit too small for my tastes. I like THICC phones.

Attached: Pay attention to my post please also this is a pretty gud manga.jpg (690x1631, 133K)

Poco garbage doesn't work in the Americas.

Attached: 1542574853549.jpg (125x119, 3K)

The ones you use on a daily basis, what the fuck question is that