Would you leak its source code?

Would you leak its source code?

Attached: windows_10.jpg (1920x1080, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/markjandrews/wrk-v1.2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If it's illegal to do so, no.

The Chinese government already got the source code.

Maybe. But who would want ít?

I would

nigga its just nt kernel wit buncha shit

Did they? It seems like the US Gov't wouldn't allow that, because doesn't the US Gov't use Windows?

No, that's no use to anyone. Unless we can get it released under a reasonable license it will simply make things worse. Legitimate d

leaking it would just give you an unmaintained branch of 20 years of buggy spaghetti code littered with security vulnerabilities

Better question is how would you try to do it without getting caught

but it would help projects like ReactOS, Wine and Proton

>The Chinese government already got the source code.
they don't have it, they were allowed to review it, but just as concerning.

Microsoft gave it to them willingly

Attached: metro-insight.png (1158x689, 385K)

> leak source code
that would be one massive archive. if it were at all possible to do, sure. I would.

no it wouldn't
the last time windows stuff got leaked, it set reactos back years, because they had to go through everything with a fine-tooth comb to make sure none of it made it into reactos, because leaked code isn't legal to use

If you want Windows applications, use Windows to run native. Why would you use Linux to run Windows shit in a container?

Windows' applications APIs are documented, there's little need for source code and weird undocumented edge cases can be examined with a kernel debugger. microsoft have already tried to sue wine or react for implementing something the same way as windows does, having the source code would just make development more expensive in that they'd have to prove their implementation was made through clean room reverse engineering rather than stealing microsoft's copyrighted code.

dubs and true. Windows is closed source, even if the source was known it would be illegal. Maybe someone has already reverse engineered it and is keeping it under wraps

> powerpoint
fuck. that's sad. i had always assumed they got their inspiration by opening up their cocaine induced bloodshot eyes one morning, looking over the side of the bed and getting struck by inspiration shaped out of last night's booze and late night pizza spread all over the floor.

I would rather have macOS.

half of macos is open source

so you can figure out exactly how they ruined bsd?

It's gotten to the point where I don't give 2 shits about windows, code or in general.
It's beyond salvation or redemption.

No. Wine doesn't even allow past Windows devs into the team, how the hell could it help its development?

half is not enough

I am not gonna deny they did ruin things

Why would you want to look at a literal piece of shit?

I honestly think Microsoft should scrap NT, release the source, and move Windows 10 to linux, selling their own distribution with support. Maintaining their own kernel is just a waste of time at this point. It'd free up resources to better develop UI and server utilities.

agree. windows 10's ui's could be new desktop environment. but i doubt they are gonna do it there is probably a lot of nsa shit under the hood. otherwise, i think it would benefit them greatly

Only so someone could fix non-hdpi font rendering

I would. At this point Microsoft deserves it.

>someone leaks it
>everyone gets to see how shitty it is like the time someone leaked Win95 code and it turned out Bill Gates tried writing the whole thing in assembly and that's the real reason it performed like shit
Yes please.

but isn't assembly supposed to be extremely fast?

he's talking out of his ass, but yes the kernel has some assembly in it

also by the time 95 rolled out, i doubt billy g contributed a single line of code to the final product

It would be funny. The amount of blatant backdoors and spooky telemetry bullshit they must be doing would cause one hell of a shitstorm.

Yes but only if you're good at it. And we're talking about Microsoft here, even with C/C++ they suck ass.
>some
That is a severe understatement.

>Implying they don't generate hundreds of unique hashes that identify you at every possible location in the code when you check if out, meaning you'd be FUCKED immediately

If you really want to see how NT is implemented (Protip: You don't), just see github.com/markjandrews/wrk-v1.2

It'll get projects like reactOS and Wine in trouble. You can already get parts of it for research. It's fucking garbage and won't help anyone in building anything.
tl;dr no

Literally every major government has seen the Windows source code. Most major countries have told MS that they either share the source code of Windows with them so they can review it or they won't use Windows, and MS agrees to get the money. Windows source code isn't some top secret thing, it's leaked (both from inside MS and from govs/3rd parties hired by govs) before and it will leak again.

ToAscii.txt

C compiles to assembly and generally the compiler will do a better job of optimizing assembly than a programmer will. The main uses of assembly is to do something particularly clever (higher unusual), make use of instructions the compiler wouldn't know to use, or to do something extremely hardware specific.

>The Wine devs didn't just say they never saw the windows source code and would never look at it.

Attached: crow of judgement.png (500x522, 93K)

To be fair be said reactOS not wine

>muh compiler
Yeah, if you knew what your actually talking about you'd know that compilers can and will shart out some of the most horrendous code. But I guess if your some OOP fag that gets off to making things as general and obfuscated as possible, "it just werks" is good enough for you, anyway.

I would blackmail microsoft for 15$ but then I would leak it anyway while eating a hamburger bought with said 15$.

>most horrendous code
You fucking dumbass. That's why it's best to let compilers do their work. They shit out some of the most ugly, unfollowable code because they're making optimizations a human trying to make a program in assembly couldn't make. Read a fucking book and find one systems programmer that thinks they can produce faster assembly than a modern compiler.

Why? What's the upshot to doing it? So that programmers can learn what a bloated, historically-muddled clusterfuck of a codebase is? Anyone who's employed already knows what those look like. Just picture whatever codebase you're working with and multiply its bloat by 1000.

Moving a variable into the accumulator register before even putting it into memory to be stored, wasting several clock cycles and adding code bloat in the process, is not "optimizing" you retarded fuckwit. That is just one example. The problem is that your putting all your faith in the compiler when half the time they were programmed by other fuckwits who don't understand assembly either and bought the "it just werks" slogan wholesale.

>ReactOS
wtf is wrong with autists using such autistic OSs?

Only a completely uneducated moron would put the dollar sign after the number so this plan certainly seems stupid enough to make sense in your mind

My bad

No and even if it were given out you'd be sure it would poison the pot. They would accusing every competitor of using the source code

>Linux distribution
>with a UI designed by Microsoft
Thank you Satan for showing me a glimpse of Hell

Only if it's the complete source along with all the documentation and other tools required to build it. Otherwise it's useless. It reminds me of all the Unix distros that had "leaks" which were just some of the base system source files and bits of the kernels. No device drivers, usually no bootloaders, none of the graphical interface or any useful programs.

Yeah, the useless half.

Attached: 1515072780773.gif (334x183, 159K)

Isn't that like getting the source code for Vista? Like who the fuck would want it?

I would like some leaked source code. I started a collection of them like a year ago. So far, I only have iBoot and Snapchat. Any anons willing to give some other links or pastebins?