"You didn't safely eject my jump drive! You're gonna corrupt my data!"

>"You didn't safely eject my jump drive! You're gonna corrupt my data!"

Attached: animoji_soy_boy.png (1048x974, 885K)

a) it is true, ejecting storage device without unmounting it almost certainly corrupts data that is being written (or even read, I dunno) at the moment - and you cannot guarantee that there is no some sneaky os utility messing with your stuff without you knowing
b) if you store important data on an USB stick, you are retarded

I've seen this happen on a fat32 drive.

it's true. you must sync && umount && eject

Doesn't umount include sync?

Just sync and unplug

this
/thread

Attached: DsYeR0zVsAAWeGp.jpg (1365x2048, 276K)

fuck you, I lost a whole photo collection once, because I didn't safely eject
I learned my lesson...

> it is true
No, it's only true if you remove the drive while the system is writing data.

Attached: 0brng9umoq021.jpg (800x1200, 125K)

Yeah, I've had usbthumbsticks irrecoverably bricked that way.

Attached: Brigitte Bardot 019.jpg (937x1171, 110K)

muh fives

Attached: 1519932692304.jpg (400x299, 14K)

Yup.

I've lost a few being an impatient shithead and ejecting them. I think all were Fat32 though.

>had sex with girl
>pulled out without safely ejaculating
how fucked am i guys

Attached: 1532918646304.jpg (646x595, 42K)

Fuck you ill destroy my computer, USB disks and whatever else how I want

Checked

Attached: 1534854858776.jpg (657x557, 74K)

I only eject it so my computer doesn't yell at me

Attached: tumblr_l9s0oylfm21qz4w1go1_400.png (311x143, 6K)

Nothing of value was lost. Your data is all trash. That's what OP is trying to say.

>usbthumbsticks

Attached: 1543388643403 (1).png (785x757, 108K)

Theoretically, you can hot swap CPUs, you just need to be very fast.
The only way to know for sure, that nothing is being written - is to unmount.

Only Virgins carefully unmount volumes just in case the OS writes a cache file. Chad just rips that shit straight out and the system is going to like it.

This, I do this all the time. Just rub the old and new pins together to copy CPU state.

Based and redpilled. never safety eject any bs been doing it for years and literally nothing ever happened.

Just disable write cache for removable media. There's literally no point since you'd have to wait for a sync anyway.

>zip disquette

I RECOGNIZE THAT BULGE

Attached: Screenshot_20181202-182817__01.jpg (1080x2280, 404K)

That's only a thing on Linux. Windows takes precautions against it.

Attached: 3411 - horo puffy_vulva spice_and_wolf spicy_wolf.jpg (622x521, 63K)

eject opens the disc tray. Just do umount and pull it out.

>using usb dicks in pre-2019

\thread

>This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again.
>This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again.

Attached: 1525993236248.png (580x420, 173K)

>tfw forgot to safely disconnect external hdd
.*click*

It's only bad if you pull a thumbstick mid file transfer. Safely remove hardware is literal placebo and just erases the write cache which is even disabled by default in windows. Maybe not anymore but originally was. Removing the drive without "ejecting" it just means you don't clear the write cache from memory to copy to the external device. Did I also mention this transfer is complete in miliseconds? So it'd be impossible to be fast enough to yank it out to fuck up the wrote cache to the us drive to do any damage. Unless you're retarded and unplug itor fuck with it while it's transferring and you're in a hurry.

what is caching

>not hot-plugging HDDs

>irrecoverably
diskpart clean

It's true, though. Unmounting first helps being absolutely sure that no data is being written to the drive when you unplug it, and it costs literally nothing.
People who unplug without unmounting and even boast about it are retards.

Found the mac user...

>user likes puffy vaginas

>a) it is true, ejecting storage device without unmounting it almost certainly corrupts data that is being written (or even read, I dunno) at the moment - and you cannot guarantee that there is no some sneaky os utility messing with your stuff without you knowing
Only if data is being written at the time. In the case of Windows it hasn't been necessary since Windows 2000 as the system unmounts whatever devices you unplug automatically.

btfo winblows

>shutdown
>eject
>restart
>dont take five minutes because glorious SSD setup

think in solutions, user

check

its true for windows.
thats how fat and ntfs work.
when copying a file to lets say a flashdrive.
the copy dialog is not really accurate as such. even if the copy dialog is done there are most likely still parts of the file that are being written.
fat and ntfs do this weird buffered writing thing where files are kinda symlinked from their original position for a time until they are completely copied or moved. granted its only really a few seconds after the dialog is closed but there is indeed a window where files will be corrupt if you just pull out a flashdrive.
you can check this easily enough by just copying a file and pulling a drive out the moment the copy dilaog is out. then afterwards put it back in and check file sizes and checksums. its more likely to happen with bigger files than smaller files.

Attached: 1511786282156.gif (320x240, 1.37M)

checked

Attached: 1484691089146.png (597x412, 422K)

remember when they used to put activity leds on usb drives so you didn't have to do this cuck shit?

>jump drive
lmao
I've always called them USB sticks or flash drives. What's some other chud ways of calling them?

>chud

Attached: you.png (227x222, 6K)

My bad, I should have used a dead meme to express myself instead

I hope the lesson was to keep backups

you don't listen to chapo trap house?

No I listen to Cum Town

they say chud too?

No they don't, I've never heard anyone say chud actually

you are save user