>try to overclock your amd gpu in linux
>mistype a command
>destroy your gpu
>this is the recommend driver for amd gpus on linux

Attached: gpu.png (1636x363, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/BoukeHaarsma23/WattmanGTK
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's doing exactly what you told it to do though.

You have the freedom to do whatever you want, that shouldn't be restricted.

Attached: 8e02768e89446cb3205a4621522fe709.jpg (640x640, 110K)

I don't see what's wrong here, it does exactly what you tell it to do.

This but unironically.
Doing that kind of manipulation to modify your GPU voltages implies that you know what you're doing.

This is as close as you can get to BIOS modding through the OS, if you do stupid shit, you'll end up with useless hardware.

maybe have an actual control panel with a graphical slider indicating a safe range of values and then when going over that limit have a dialog box pop up with a massive warning indicating you may irreversibly damage your hardware if you continue. But I'm guessing having a GUI at all would be the biggest hurdle.

overclocking the gpu is trivial on other operating systems.

> be op
> be mentally challenged
> try to turn on computer
> accidentally put it in your anus
> anus is torn
> whine about recommendations made for people who are not retarded

No one cares about the GUI, someone might make it, but nobody will use it.

yeah cuz everyone uses the command line to adjust their GPU in Windows.

Linux doesn't hold your hand

1 . That's not an option on Windows.
2. Nobody cares enough to OC their fucking GPU on Linux.

so type it correctly, mongoloid

Why would you even need to OC your GPU on Linux?
It's not like you can actually run games on that autistic OS.

>use windows
>overclock in GUI
>resets to default settings if it goes wrong
Why do people use Linux again

But I thought linux gaming was on par with windows now? Wouldn't you want to get the most performance out of your hardware?

I don't care about video games.

you wont need to overclock if you have the gtx 1060 6gb, the ultimate budget gaming card, onyl $150 and can run most games on all ultra at above 60 fps (1080p)

I thought amd gpus are now the recommended choice for linux?

the rx 580 is pretty much the 1060 6gb, and they are pretty much the same price
i personally prefer amd (but im not a gaymer) because they dont jew you out of money

You don't get "the most out of your hardware" you are killing its lifespan for a little extra fps.
If you want better performance get a new graphics card, don't waste good working hardware.
If you don't want your graphics card sell it.

>open bios/uefi
>put 999 in every field
>"ZOMG why did my GPU blow up!?"
there are many subtle and surprising ways to fuck up on Linux, but this is not one of them
(if you want an example, take doing something with bash like
#dont actually do this ffmpeg -i *.png out.gif

it will almost certainly fuck you over, without being as obvious as messing with voltages

Attached: 1526468168180.png (612x563, 123K)

Isn't linux all about customizing shit and getting the most out of low end shit? Overclocking should be like the first thing on your list of things to do.

that's funny cuz in the bios maxing out the values with absurd numbers is the easiest way to make quick adjustments because it will automatically enter in the correct safe values.

Linux/osx/bsd/etc is about not having to deal with the bullshit that is Microsoft "not invented here" Windows.
everything they do is fucking backwards unless you have full on stockholm syndrome

Amd gpus sort of need the newest kernel.(rx590 still has a lot of problems that will probably be resolved in 4.21)
For nvidia there is the opensource driver which is fine if you do not play any games and do not care about performance and the nvidia driver(look at the additional drivers tool on ubuntu)

oh yeah, and MB bios have, guess what, an actual GUI.

Yes you also have the ability to force a random binary in your UEFI through linux, or delete your hard drive's firmware so you will have to reprogram it. Doesn't mean you should do that.
It's kind of like smoking IRL. You should be able to do that but you really shouldn't.

I'm sure you can do that in the amd control panel in windows as well, but at least it actually has one.

Entering arbitrary number values into the command line with no point of reference is way different than having a graphical slider which shows you known safe values and gives you an idea of what's going on.

If you need a GUI to hold your hand you shouldn't be tweaking voltages at all.

then I guess MB bioses should just drop their uefi interface? When you press f2 it should just drop you into a command prompt?

there really is no difference between
>entering a value, say "10.0" into a field next to the label "gpuvoltage" in some GUI menu, lets call it "hwsettings"
and
>running the command "hwsettings gpuvoltage=10.0"

getting over the hurdle of viewing GUIs as anything but an API to the same thing programs you pass arguments directly to is an API to is a good thing

>that's funny cuz in the bios maxing out the values with absurd numbers is the easiest way to make quick adjustments because it will automatically enter in the correct safe values.
stop taking things so literally, the point was obviously about entering valid but dangerous values.

There is no reason a GUI having a confirmation prompt for value ranges deemed "dangerous" precludes a confirmation prompt ["Warning: this voltage level is etcetc, type Y/N to confirm] if you were trying to set the value to a "dangerous" level through the terminal.

then why do bioses have an interface at all?

>mistyping sudo code

Attached: 1532021825540.png (207x243, 15K)

why do you even need to overclock on linux? the point of linux is getting to shit on low end hardware.

because linux is all about getting the most out of shit hardware?

Funny, I didn't see low end hardware mentioned in the GNU/Linux 4 freedoms.

you need 200+ mhz gpu overclock so you can run your desktop environment 3 miliseconds faster?

hell, overclocking a raspberry pi is almost a requirement if you want to get actual decent performance. And guess what, it has an actual fucking config file with examples and shit for overlcocks. Holy shit what a concept.

This thread is so fucking stupid. Of course a low-level kernel API doesn't have a GUI. It would be easy to implement one on top of it if anyone gave a shit.

maybe bioses are not the best example, but say there is some userspace library that changes voltages and this library has both a GUI and a terminal frontend
the gui is a neat way of showing all the current settings at once while allowing changing individual ones without either
>knowing the name of the setting from before already
>only wanting to change it this once so looking it up in the manual is not worth the effort for the future
meanwhile having a commandline interface (or just the library itself) allows you to for instance create an application with a single toggle that toggles between presets, if you have two presets you regularly change between etc

the problem with GUis is that they are trickier to make, and thus more prone to bugs. There is very little room for programming errors when all you do is "setting=value", so for some use cases perhaps it was decided that a GUI was not worth the maintenance effort
especially if the help menu/manual page lists all the settings in a neat way.

This is better, you can automate everything in a CLI, overclock/underclock when system is using low resources, underclock at night, overclock per application, practically do OC/UV on any possible condition you can think of. GUI's can't do that.

You don't have to replace the command line options with a GUI. Is the GUI not just a front end to the command line program?

they are both a front to a library/program

ok. No reason to not have both options. It's not like we're talking about some obscure hardware. It's a fucking amd gpu

sounds incredible gay.

in what way is typing a command that's spelled out for you non-trivial?

no thanks, use micro&soft RetardOS 10 if you need that. also overclocking is for brainlets.

you enter a 9 instead of a 0 and permanently destroy your 500 dollar gpu. Can't do that with a slider or MB bios which automatically enter a maximum safe value.

so you're saying it's trivial to destroy your cpu?

no?

>implying Steam Play doesn't work

Not really. There is an overvolt limit at gpu firmware so you won't be able to brick even if you try without a reflashed bios to a high limit.

That's literally what it should do according to UEFI specifications so yes

You should use Powerplay tables instead if you want to do that kind of modifications on Vega. There are still some very buggy behavior with memory states on Vega that I can attest to, like the memory state constantly being stuck at the lowest state if you change them and other types of badness. It's also why I mine with Windows but I'm hoping for ROCm to get better so I can delete my Windows partition.

>linux
>an os where a command like rm -rf / can not only wipe your hard drive but brick your motherboard and fry your graphics card

Unix is stupid.

rm -rf / is undefined

Literally the same thing you can fuck up in MSI Afterburner or through registry editing on Windows.

>ffmpeg -i *.png out.gif

What would happen? Doesn't it just take the first .png it finds and tries to convert it into gif?

>have exactly what you're asking for except a slider in the documentation
>not good enough
literally die

so someone is going to try out gaming on linux because pretty much every tech youtube channel has said it's totally fine now and just as good as windows. Naturally they want the same performance as the do on windows so they would like to keep their overlclocks that they had before. Now they go searching for the amd software to do this but there is none. They stumble upon the archwiki because it's pretty much the only actual documentation linux has and then decide to input commands through the cli they've never used.

Now in this scenario, which is more likely to fuck up the GPU? Afterburner or the cli?

>maybe have an actual control panel with a graphical slider indicating a safe range of values and then when going over that limit have a dialog box pop up with a massive warning indicating you may irreversibly damage your hardware if you continue.

Not useful. Any voltage higher than the default is going to be unsafe. You could make a simple command line program that does this but why bother? If you know enough to mess with the voltages you should know enough to be careful anyway. A graphical slider is not going to stop stupid people from clicking past the warnings and destroying their hardware.

Most likely the GPU would just crash and you had to restart and fall back to default values.

I overclocked and overvolted my friends GPU to like 50% and it just crashed instantly. I then overvolted to 20% and it had graphical bugs so he set it at 10% and then said he was getting some strange graphical glitches after 2 hours of playing BF5 so he switched it off.

actually I forgot to mention that's just the overclock. Then if they want to make any more adjustments open source amd driver everyone is telling them to use, they get to experience the joys of xorg config files.

actually I forgot to mention that's just the overclock. Then if they want to make any more adjustments to the open source amd driver everyone is telling them to use (because obviously nvidia blob is evil), they get to experience the joys of xorg config files.

There's no HW safety lock? You can set any frequency you want?

and I forgot to mention, that's only if their distro is even using xorg anymore by default. If they are using wayland then they are just fucked anyway. Of course, none of this shit is mentioned ever.

>using linux
>afraid of config files
What the point desu.

they're not just config files, they're xorg config files. Most archaic shit known to man.

it takes the first png and treats the rest of the files as output files

Play stupid games; win stupid prizes.

Linux programs/scripts/etc. generally assume you know what you're doing. Manually altering the voltages of the hardware in your computer is not something to be done lightly. Hell, even the documentation in that image warns (a) you need to flag a specific boot parameter to enable the feature and (b) has text at the bottom telling you to be careful and double-check your changes.

Anybody who physically damages their GPU with this command by mistyping a value has no sympathy from me.

How does it work like that? Shouldn't it just create a file 'out.gif'?

Expansion is done by the shell.
$ ls
one.png two.png
$ ffmpeg -i *.png out.gif #what you type
$ ffmpeg -i one.png two.png out.gif #what actually gets run
You can avoid this using single quotes (') and passing -pattern_type glob

Here you go faggot

github.com/BoukeHaarsma23/WattmanGTK

common gpus would just shut off if it cant handle it and reboot, this is obviously bait.

Attached: ᠎᠎🤔᠎᠎᠎.png (512x512, 129K)

>OMG GUYS, LOOK AT THIS! IF YOU TELL GNU/LINUX TO DO SOMETHING IT ACTUALLY DOES IT!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Maybe stick with Windows if you're that much of a pussy.

There should be protected ranges by default, but a --force option to override them

>its not the tenth windows!
>its not the first xbox!
>nobody even cares anymore

>you enter a 9 instead of a 0
Have you tried not entering it ?
This is equivalent of robber getting shot while breaking and entering, then complaining that he got shot.

still just text files and you have man

>Deliberately fuck up your amd gpu
"Amd bad!"
>your nvidia gpu literally catches fire/blows up
"Buy another one. The more you buy, the more you save!"
Stick to win10 and the official overclocking software you fucking brainlet.

Oh. Am I the only one who did it like this?
for i in (ls -1 | cut -d '.' -f1); do ffmpeg -i $i.png $i.gif; done

you're assuming every GPU works the same way

re-install windows faggot

you're free to program it yourself.

>can't handle filenames with spaces
Would be simpler and more robust with
for f in *.png; do ffmpeg -i "$f" "${f%.png}.gif; done

>"${f%.png}.gif; done

Close your quotes you fag

AMD is working on a GUI you little sperglet.

> >this is the recommend driver for amd gpus on linux
> implying it's a driver's fault
Don't overclock if you can't handle the consequences.
MSI Afterburner can destroy your GPU too (I burned both ATI and Nvidia cards).

good b8, will serve me well later...

Attached: ahoo.jpg (579x528, 42K)

It should ask you to confirm, at least

I mean, unless you supply a flag that says assume yes

This would take like 5 lines of code, I just don't think anyone cares

Low end shit generally isn't overclockable, at least not in software. The point here is that you don't need to type the actual command, though, just put in in a script before hand and then run the script. That way you don't fuck it up.

This

Saying "a command" is dumb. A command can be literally any function. That's like saying "a computer that can delete it's own files". To do any of those*, you have to type in your password. The odds of accidentally doing this are astronomical.

* rm is a special case and depends on what distro you're on, some now have protections against it. In some cases, like OSX last I checked, rm will remove user files but not system files, in others rm -rf / just refuses to run.

>overclocking
I get it. Adding beefy coolers and tweaking shit to get higher numbers in some arbitrary test could be fun. But when I see comparisons like this, it really makes no sense. There's hardly any noticeable difference between mid range and high-end anymore, why overclock for like 5 fucking fps when your minimum is 78 and freesync/gsync exist?

But then again, I don't play games cause I'm a lincux user.

Attached: Forza-7-RX-Vega-64-GTX-1080-Ti-1440p-ComputerBase-2.png (631x657, 49K)

>man
>>>>>>man
>>>>>>>>>>