Does it matter where you went to school if you want a top-tier cs job?

Does it matter where you went to school if you want a top-tier cs job?

Attached: schools.png (1050x420, 293K)

Not really I guess?
Depends on what do you mean by "top-tier cs job"

For begin research or director on FAANG yes.
For get money $$$ social skills and communications.

>if you want a top-tier cs job

You should be fine as long as you do NOT major in cs in undergrad

Attached: The truth about CS.png (1155x409, 89K)

>pic
I'm studying Math and CS, not sure if I'm just gonna minor in CS. A lot of that post is pure hyperbole ("a mathematician or physicist can pick up all of a bsc in a couple afternoons" - LOL, no sweetie). It of course fluctuates depending on where you go, but it's not as bad as some /sci/ posters make it out to be, especially if you just choose your classes wisely.

No, but it helps.
Going to a big name school are any school reputable in a program can give you connections and opportunities like research.

Only for the notoriaty of the school. Some schools are partners with some big tech companies that you might want to end up at.

No, everyone is getting outcompeted by pajeets

It can be a huge boost I'm sure
I went to a pictured school and could get interviews at the big companies solely on that (I'm too retarded and lazy to actually succeed on my own merit)

Attached: soy cum.jpg (833x610, 165K)

ivy league is a meme.
degree is a meme.
reminder that you could graduate from MIT with an MS, 4.0 GPA, 2 specialized math minors and multiple published research projects but still spend months doing whiteboard interviews for a single job application while pajeet, who failed out of his community college's cs program after a year, gets hired on the spot just for passing by the office on the street

>"a mathematician or physicist can pick up all of a bsc in a couple afternoons"

Completely true.

>I'm studying Math and CS,

and I'm sure you're picking all the easiest discrete courses for math.

>Does it matter where you went to school if you want a top-tier cs job?
yeah, you won't even get a call otherwise

what are the bottom row schools?
i know the first one is harvard.

>school
all liberal brainwashing

You're such a stupid little shit. "Muh pajeets are taking muh jobs!" If you graduate from MIT with a 4.0 (except actually a 5.0, because you're a dumb little faggot who's talking out of his ass without even circumstantial knowledge of MIT and its grads), you are not looking for a pajeet-tier job. Corps, from Google to startups, don't need an MIT grad to program their frontends, they need them for developing novel algorithms, or at the very least for machine learning. Pajeet doesn't even know the first thing about linear algebra.

You clearly don't even understand what kind of work these people are looking for, and now you're mad that any competent company can see through whatever credentials you have that you're just a code monkey and they could easily just hire pajeet for that role.

>If I'm exposed to ideas I disagree with, I'll have no choice but to adopt them! Better consign myself to the lower class!

Fuck all these temples o' deception. Real men learn at home

You're a fucking retard. If you graduate with a 5.0 from MIT (4.0 is not the max, not that you woud know idiot), FAANG companies would be lining up before graduation to hire you for 200k starting. While Pajeet or some idiot who "self studied" will never get a reply back, and be stuck maintaining the Wordpress site of the local Mexican restaurant for minimum wage.

Harvard, Caltech, UChicago, UPenn, Columbia

In 2018? Hell no. Especially for computer science - everything is online and at the end of the day it doesn't matter how much money you throw at something, it's the same. Unless you're going to a community college, or something.

Yes.

Willing to bet the "ivy genius" still won't be able to code for shit.

Someone from an Ivy school might have a 50% chance of not being able to code. Some random fucker with no credentials will have a 99% chance of not being able to code. The Ivy graduate is literally 50x better.

CS undergrad math in a nutshell

No, companies hire Pajeets only anyways.

I think it helps. My employees tell me all the time they bring in interviewees because they came from a big name school. It's not the end all be all, but it definitely helps.

>masters in cs
>4.0
>145k starting

how about dont be shit? if you want a software job, yet don't get a CS degree (or eecs I guess) be prepared to have your resume trashed or have a good explanation as to why your other meme degree is better

>Well Sir, it's because these people on an anonymous imageboard said that Computer Science is for brainlets and that I would earn 300k starting if I get a PhD in Mathematics. I don't have any formal programming experience but I used Matlab for this one class. I'm sure I can pick up anything you need me to!

Being able to program decently is a skill, not something you can just throw money at to get good at.

Education level is a reliably proxy for skill.

>college

Attached: 7B335302-553D-4A41-B4FC-773AF7EAD1CD.gif (264x264, 1.37M)

>you need a degree with the word computer in it or how else will you know how to computer

Thanks for proving cs majors are brainlets

>you need a degree with the word math in it or how else will you know how to math

Thanks for proving math majors are brainlets. I got a degree in Women's Studies and recently got an assistant professorship in the math department of Princeton.

>the school I couldn't get into is a meme, guys
stay jealous
t. princeton undergrad

>couldn't even follow the argument

keep digging yourself deeper

How's being a high school teacher working out for you?

>Being this autistic
yikes

I'm struggling with this myself. I'm currently going to a state school but the computer science program is a complete joke. Theres another University near by that use to be a four year community college but got certified in 2010. It has a way better computer science program. I'm thinking about switching next semester. What do you guys think?

so software eng it is then?

How can you tell if your cpt sci/soft eng program at your school is a joke? I've only been to the one school I'm at now so I have no idea how to compare.

>studying IT
am I fucked lads, I just want to be a sysadmin or network engineer

Attached: 1541373460417.jpg (500x375, 67K)

Software engineering is just CS without the theory which can make you a better programmer. Studying pure software engineering is pajeet tier. People telling you not to major in CS are just salty /sci/ core science majors that are now teaching in High Schools because they studied a field that has a dying industry.

You showed me this yesterday and I have to say it is very ignorant; simply a rant about how CS students are neckbeards rather than actually attacking the curriculum itself. Computer science is needed if you want to become a computer scientist. Mathematics is needed if you want to become a mathematician. The computer scientist will also need to know how to speak in mathematical languages. That is all there is to it. One is not superior to the other, as they are not in competition with each other.

We're stuck in a small department with three shit computer labs. The professors are lazy and out of touch. My data structures doesn't even know how to use smart pointers despite the class being in c++. Their rubics and assignment are filled with typos and spelling errors. Someone has clearly been payed off by Pearson because I'm forced to by their shit over priced books for every class. There are several horrific professors that you are required to take. If you fail a class it's gpa will always be counted againts you so even if you ace a class the second time around you'll still have a C average for the class. The department is extremely disorganized. They schedule test at the same time slots every year.
They have no time slots available for required classes. Everyone puts their class at 12:30 and the department doesn't stop them. Creating a bottleneck that can set you back years. You get no general advisor and they force computer science professors to do the advising . So, they have absolutely no idea how the school handles credits and other things outside the department so they're next to useless. The whole thing is an annoying mess.

i go to princeton too. our school actually sucks the people in the cs department here only care about their muh google internships and don't even care about programming, problem or cs....
that's why half of them go into finance anyway. only the upper level classes like 326, 318, 333 etc are good. yes people here are smart but they use their intelligence for the dumbest bs and are ridiculously competitive. i wish i went to mit instead of here all the time

anyone can larp on the internet user

t. MIT grad

underrated

>Caltech, UChicago, UPenn,
never heard of them.

MIT | Stanford | Princeton | Yale | ???
Harvard | Caltech | ??? | ??? | ???

I'm not american and these are the only ones I can recognize on top of my head

>all my freshman cs major classmates agree, you need a cs degree to be a coder

You sound like a fag that thinks sicp is advanced

>Computer science is needed if you want to become a computer scientist

Have you ever spoken to a CS professor? They all recommend you major in something else in undergrad if you want to do a good CS grad program.

Lilly is that u

>t. software engineering major

Though to be fair CS and SE majors (like CE majors) will likely end up doing the same work so don't be too salty