OPUS 1.3 THREAD AKA THE KING OF AUDIO CODECS AND THE FUTURE OF LOSSY AUDIO

>his favorite Android music player can't recognize .opus files
>his PMP/standalone music player can't recognize .opus files

If either of these applies to you, then you don't know shit about good audio players.

Opus general

Attached: wY7o0.png (4464x2537, 310K)

Other urls found in this thread:

listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm
trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5718
opus-codec.org/comparison/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

but it does
i fell for the rockboxed benjie t6 meme and it's great

>rockboxed
you're ok now

flac > ur gay shit

>Lossy audio
Why?

>autism

My fucking face when power amp won't recognize opus and I'm forced to use foobar

Attached: 1524702803822.jpg (417x749, 63K)

>power amp won't recognize opus
hahahahaah what a piece of shit.

even VLC recognizes Opus!

lolololol did you also pay for Powermeme?

Attached: a09.png (772x804, 414K)

>using flac for anything but archival purposes

>his favorite Android music player can't recognize .opus files
BlackPlayer EX and Poweramp (both betas) does recognize opus.

>being a retarded phoneposting, streaming zoomer

all i want for christmas is
>iFlash-QUAD MicroSD Adapter
>4 x 256gb MicroSD cards
>iVue Clear Panel for iPod Video
>Thick 1TB customizing Metal Back Cover for ipod Video
>3000mAh Battery
$350 mods for a 12 year old ipod video.

until then my Sansa Clip is playing my gigantic opus library just fine.

what's the difference between an opus in ogg container and a .opus file? What container is used for files that have the same extension as the codec?

>lolololol did you also pay for Powermeme?
I've made like $50 in play credit from surveys so yes, there's almost nothing good to spend it on if you're not addicted to phone games.

okay mister with the 80s yamaha amp and JBL speakers

Thank you, you just saved my sanity

>$350 mods for a 12 year old ipod video.
gay

no u

well the microsd cards are $260 in that figure, so the actual mods are only $90. and I'm sure I could get cheaper 256gb cards.

I'd never even be able to fill up 1TB with 192kbps opus files so I'd be set for at least another decade. small investment really.

I want to know how many people re-encoded their entire collection to Opus when 1.3 came out.

i might. the quality improvements at extremely low bitrates are seriously impressive.

>using flac for anything but archival purposes
Why have your music in both lossless AND lossy ? Just takes up more space. Only time I use lossy is if I transfer it to a battery driven device.

Why do you have your music lossless if you're not editing it?

Whenever I try and clip audio (using Audacity) and convert it to opus using ffmpeg it always ends what I clip around a tenth of a second later than what I selected. Anyone know what's going on or who I should report the bug to?

Ehm the only two Android music handlers I've ever used have had Opus and Vorbis support from day one

iirc they just made a modified/updated version of the ogg container and called it the opus container.

>BlackPlayer EX and Poweramp (both betas) does recognize opus.
Just tried the Blackplayer EX beta and it can't read my Opus tags. Meanwhile VLC reads them just fine.

Streaming and portable devices which don't have 42TB of storage to hand. FLAC is absolutely the best choice for archiving but if the size matters at all, since Opus is transparent at extremely reasonable bitrates it makes an excellent choice for portable devices.

Its low latency also makes it the best choice for any kind of streaming or communication. It's completely obsoleted every other lossy audio codec with neat features like per-bucket block size.

Yes, because my archive copies are in FLAC - all I had to do was rerun the transcoding script and replace the music on my mobile's sdcard.

This, Poweramp beta for more than a year works fine. I tried a few different ones (including foobar mobile) and it's the one I like best.

They're the same. It's an OGG container. The .opus extension is just to make it apparent that the file contains a Opus stream (as opposed to a Vorbis one) but the container is OGG (the same used for Vorbis) and there's no difference if you save it as .ogg or .opus. If you like the extension to be the container, then .ogg actually would be the proper one.

Kind of like how .m4a extension only exists to show that it's a MP4 file that contains only audio.

What makes it better than AAC?

>music player can't recognize .opus files
you know it can be in a .webm right?

sort of related, if you edit a meme video and import - lets say - a webm which has vorbis@128 and you do your edit and export to lossless
is there audio deterioration if the export audio is in aac@384 ?

is it better than lame -V0 for music?

If you rename an Opus file ogg, or have it in that container, it can still be read by PMPs that read .ogg right? Because Opus is Ogg Opus, supplanting Ogg Vorbis.

Yes. Opus 128kbps is transparent.

listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

My Opus 1.3 files won't play on my Rockbox'd Sansa Clip without skipping ahead randomly.

Fucking Rockbox

I have an ancient rockbox'd sansa, Opus works but its slow and clunky. I just use Vorbis.

what if you do
ffmpeg -i gay-audio.opus -c copy gay-audio.webm
?

Any recommendations for a program to batch convert a bunch of FLACs to .opus? Prerefably one with a GUI, I'm too lazy for command line autism.

Attached: IMG_3118.jpg (4032x3024, 2.96M)

>2018
>Still a fanboy over lossy audio
Topkek

Attached: 1541388566998.jpg (640x640, 79K)

foobar or megui.

i'd use opus but it doesn't support 5.1 surround (or ffmpeg implementation of it doesn't) so i can't use it in my rips.

Can both keep the tags and such information intact when converting between files?

i sometimes share music with my friends and they rather i use lame than opus. also, you never know what other encoders might come out in the future so it's useful to have lossless source of music. hdds cost nothing these days so it doesn't matter all that much for pcs at least.

Foobar can.
I don't know about MeGUI since it can't handle folders or filenames with unicode, so I don't seem to have a single thing that it will work on.

You only need two channels for your lossy encodes. If you're listening on your 5.1 speaker system at home you should be playing the lossless originals. If you are using headphones with a portable device, it's better to downmix to two channels ahead of time, in a way you fully control, rather than leave it up to the software downmix of whatever system you are using.

>keeping lossless bloat

Yeah, I remember that. Seems to be a (still not fixed) problem with ffmpeg.
trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5718

its an issue with mp3 codecs as well, iirc it had to do with saving file space by rounding time to a nearest whole. I learned from sampling that you should always save samples losslessly as to preserve timing to reduce chopping later.

do you have source? I'll unironically convert if 320kbps mp3 = 128kbps opus

i guess. it's just that aac doesn't have this problem and is supported on older hardware. i suppose i could use reference encoder since it also doesn't have this problem based on

Attached: thinking.jpg (347x316, 21K)

opus-codec.org/comparison/