Crl+f no Rust thread

so now that the vinegar has been settled how we scrub it out in a simple to understand manner?

What made the language fail?
The functional style?
Feminism?
Transgenderism?
The even more ugly syntax than C?
C programmers going a tid more verbose?
Cargo?
No actual decent set of tools?
The 20 new programing paradigms it incorporates?

Attached: ap,550x550,12x12,1,transparent,t.u1.png (550x550, 55K)

The awful compile times.

That, and the core developers not giving a shit about what people want instead spending their time on marketing instead of development.

newfig thread

Static typing, the classic premature optimization.

Whenever I try to compile something, some guy comes up with an AK and kills me and takes my wood and stone.

> ctrl+f no Rust thread
The board was better off without one.

pic related is rust game, not rust lang.

every line of c/c++ written is a hate crime

concatenating two &strs into a String looks horrible (syntactically). And yes I know a &str is just a reference slice, blah blah, but that doesn't justify this shit:
let combined_str = string1 + &string2 + &string3 // etc

There's nothing wrong with that line. How else would you expect string concatenation to work?

My company is actually just starting to incorporate rust into our bigger projects. The crypto/phd fags at my workplace love it for some reason

thats_the_joke

to not have & prepended to each subsequent string, it looks ugly and isn't simple to reason about WHY you need to do this without reading blogs

If you have a whole bunch of strings to append together into a bigger string, why not use the format macro?
let combined = format!("{}{}{}{}{}{}{}", str1, str2, str3, str4, str5, str6, str7);
Most Rust programmers would still write the ampersand, though, because that signals that each string will be read, but not moved

Using & is fine if each string in the concat is prepended with it, but IIRC you have to omit it for the first string for the operator to be valid. I want consistency: if my aim is to read 3 strings and concat them, then the expression should access all 3 strings the same way syntactically

It's consistent with the rest of the language. The left argument skips the ampersand because it gets consumed. The right argument does not.
If string addition consumed both arguments, you'd be complaining about "foo + bar.clone() + baz.clone()" instead.
If it consumed neither argument, it would perform like shit.

Why do people hate on Rust? I only have a cursory understanding of its principles and I've compiled some very simple programs but it seems pretty cool. Should I invest time into learning more of it?

If I have to be honest, I've never in my entire life had to do that in Rust, and my full time job is writing Rust.

C is art
If you think otherwise you are probably a newbie

What do you do in this situation? Or has it literally never come up?

It has literally never come up, there's usually some other thing you want between strings, so you just use formatting, otherwise you're building from some sort of template or something.

It's Jow Forumstards who know nothing about programming and cniles that hate any language that claims the same niches that C does.

spoonfed me proof faggot
also about the CoC, i've read it. It's alright. Don't know what's the practice irl tho.

>new website being shit
>focus being on ergonomics and bringing Node.js, Ruby, whatever people in
>focus on retards is going to ruin the language

It didn't really have a chance, it was always going to be an alpha language. Swift already exists and is better in pretty much every way. Here's hoping we get a new rust spinoff that focuses on the core language and the existing real issues.

or you know the incredibly valid complaints of atrocious syntax and npm-style micro-packages for everything, since community-stds are a great idea and have never gone bad for any other language.

>npm-style micro-packages
I now am coming to understand how bad of an idea it is to crowdsource gaps in the std via external crates.

No, it's still okay, there are still good people involved, the only issue is the direction it's taking because of the people currently in charge.

The tipping point is going to be after async/await gets stabilized, it all hinges on what those people will be given to do.

It's not *that* bad, yet, but it's slowly getting there.

I don't know man, you end up in a worse situation if the stuff in std is subpar or doesn't move fast enough, because then you have the shit in std AND 5 different versions of the same garbage, and all of them used by different packages.

>you end up in a worse situation if the stuff in std is subpar or doesn't move fast enough,
no, because the community focuses on ONE set of things to fix and improve. With community std's, you have 2+ half-decent ones that constantly fight for attention, which fragments your users.

But there aren't multiple stdlibs, this isn't D.

i meant community packages that are deemed "standard" by the community.
>D
stop, D isn't Python, no one fucking uses tango anymore, it's been 100% dropped for ages. Also it's pretty evident that rust and its community are incredibly insecure when they deflect to other langs. Nevermind that the site itself now won't have any actual code on the front page. Real telling.

>i meant community packages that are deemed "standard" by the community.
The ones that are good end up on rust-lang, so I don't see the issue.

>stop, D isn't Python, no one fucking uses tango anymore, it's been 100% dropped for ages.
I know, my point was that the same thing isn't going to happen. I don't get the Python reference.

>Also it's pretty evident that rust and its community are incredibly insecure when they deflect to other langs.
What do you mean?

>Nevermind that the site itself now won't have any actual code on the front page. Real telling.
Yeah, the new website is shit, which is why I'm working on an alternative right now.

>I don't get the Python reference.
you serious m8? Python's userbase have been heavily fragmented for ages since 3 came out, and they're just NOW planning to drop 2 by 2020.
>The ones that are good end up on rust-lang,
rust-lang's repo as a pinned repo or merged into Rust's actual std?

>you serious m8? Python's userbase have been heavily fragmented for ages since 3 came out, and they're just NOW planning to drop 2 by 2020.
I know about that, but how is that anywhere related to having two stdlibs?

>rust-lang's repo as a pinned repo or merged into Rust's actual std?
They're part of the official organization, and libstd itself is multiple crates and not a single one, it just re-exports bullshit, makes no sense to do that for those packages.

I don't think it failed. It's pretty popular.
The reasons why it didn't turn the industry upside down are probably
- lack of ergonomics
- denying time and battle-tested paradigm: OOP and not really providing an alternative to it
- inadequate standard library
- conflating rust with some kind of panacea to all problems

That being said I hope Rust gets gradually more usable.

Those are valid complaints but not the ones often brought up on here.

it's the same principle.
Rust will have ubiquitous community stuff that will inevitably get mismanaged and create a divide in the community, just like the python2 and 3, and just like the even more embarrassing clusterfuck that is the Scala community.
If Rust-core were smart, they'd quit wanking over cargo, take the best of the community stuff, and merge that into the std. No matter how great your package manager is. Nobody like a trillion dependencies and the nightmare that usually brings. Especially when it's time to upgrade the compiler.

Jow Forums nerds have the worst tier bants

>Especially when it's time to upgrade the compiler.
I'll take what is backwards compatibility for $200 thanks Alex.

The rust language itself offers nothing new and is poorly implemented. So what's left besides marketing wank and the community full of shills who harass everyone.