Preferred language

Hey Jow Forums

What's your preferred language and why?

I'll start

>C++
>never found a case where I couldn't use it, and always learned something new/interesting while using it.

Attached: 1511079645063.png (184x176, 32K)

Z80 assembly.
It's challenging but not a hell ride.

>Haskell
>Shows you a different way of structuring code that you can apply even to "normal" languages

>Java
>It's the only one I know and I can't be bothered to learn another right now

Attached: 1537338287064.png (376x341, 57K)

this but erlang/otp, because I couldn't find any real world scenario where I actually would use haskell

This but Elixir cuz it feels a lot less clunky

>Rust
>love the syntax
>borrow checker is a cool approach
>I memed it at my workplace and now they're actually using it lol

C
It's extremely fun to use and is elegantly minimal.

C++ is the worst language ever designed, by the way.

Attached: 1485473684854.png (824x792, 408K)

>lisp
objectively best programming language

English

I like things about C++. Mostly just how complete the STL is. RAII is good too. I don't use OOP unless it absolutely makes sense, though. And templates can get crazy.

C and python are my bread and butter, and I also use SystemVerilog.

I'm learning rust now. I like parts of the language, and I like the borrow checker and cargo, but the syntax can be really gross at times. It's still evolving but most boilerplate is hideous. I think if they went for a more C approach and used traits it'd be fine.

Because you are a low IQ hipster whose only skill consists of building interactive websites and apps.

I am forced to use c++ and java but it is C; it is so simple yet effective and efficient

Ruby
>decent standard library
>easy to use
>pleasurable to write

Come back when you make something larger than 500 LOC.

perl. it pays the bills

Attached: sepples.png (1114x640, 121K)

>Haskell
>Muh category theory

Any thing other than C is bloat

C, Python, HDLs
The holy trinity

after 2 years of working as a c++ dev it is completely readable and fine to me.

this
but for me, schemes are preferred since it's more functional. Wish they were more practical though
guile comes closest

I like to program, not reinvent the wheel every time I want something done.
also, using a language which is basically unreadable, even for veterans, in production is pretty much retarded.
don't get me wrong, you can write some very nice and efficient code, but you won't earn any money with it, because you can't keep up with changing demands.
that said, wonder who's the actual hipster here

Elixir syntax looks like a weird mix of different languages.
it might've been nice if I would be more familiar with python, but since I started with erlang before touching elixir, it just looks silly

>Nim
>the most human readable language
>translates to C so you never have to deal with the boilerplate and verbosity directly
>all the control you'd ever need

This but Python.

>Python
It's very fast to write, allowing me to test out a lot of ideas very easily. With C-libraries like numpy, it also becomes fast enough for my needs all while keeping an easily readable syntax.

That depends on what I want to do.
For meme learning it's Python because it allows me to quickly write code that is going to be used only once anyway. As soon as you want to do anything in parallel, it becomes absolutely useless, though. No, multiprocessing is not even close to being usable, compared to what languages like Java and C# allow you to do effortlessly (just replace your stream with a parallel one and it just werks).
For typical usage, I really like C#.
>fast enough for almost everything
>very easy interop with C and C++
>lots of great features like LINQ, getting new features like built-in tuples far ahead of Java while still not being a hipster piece of shit with no tools etc
>Visual Studio with ReSharper is the greatest IDE
>works on any platform as long as I'm not using WPF
>if I want to make a GUI, nothing tops WPF (and it's not like Linux autists want a GUI anyway)
If C# is not enough, I like C++, though it requires you to know how to use it. C programmers tend to be the worst C++ programmers around, because they think they can just write as if they were using C.
>if used correctly, you can get speed of C without its autism and garbage spaghetti that C programmers inevitably produce
>lots of features, though you need to know what to use
>RAII is GOAT
Too bad that there's no decent package manager.

>after 2 years of working

Attached: welp.jpg (1280x720, 128K)

it usually takes more than 2 years to master anything worthwhile
in my case it took 2 years to unlearn Java and start to write modern generic C++
Java style C++ is horrible, and unfortunately very common, especially in open source libraries
still learning something new every day, and it's motivating to know that I'll have something to learn still in 5 years, 10 years
for example, when you start to understand template meta programming, you see problems in a different light and become a better problem solver, it's not just about the language itself in this case

>Too bad that there's no decent package manager
CMake + your OS package manager is fine
besides the majority of libraries these days are header only