Is webassembly a meme?

Is webassembly a meme?

Attached: wasm-chain.png (1536x470, 30K)

I hope not, but I'm concerned about some of the technical aspects.

elaborate

Nevermind I suck cocks, I just read some more. I was under the impression it compiled natively.

I hope it takes off so that retards who think HTML5/CSS/JS is software development get BTFO of the industry.

>I was under the impression it compiled natively.
It does.

You know what else compiles natively? Fucking JavaScript. It needs all the help it can get, so the browser vendors have been in an arms race for years to speed up JS execution speeds, and as part of that, they created JIT compilers that turn JS methods into native machine code.
But it's still slow and it sucks, because it's fucking JavaScript. So the browser vendors brainstormed all the ways they wished they could change JS to make it easier to compile, and that wishlist is what WASM is. It still gets JIT compiled by the browser. It just doesn't get saved to a file on your hard drive somewhere.

Where does it get compiled? Your ram?

Yes.
With C, the compiler generates machine code in RAM and then copies it into a file, and then when you run the program, the OS copies it back into RAM and executes it from RAM.
A JIT compiler doesn't bother with the file part. It just runs it directly.

It's JIT, therefore RAM.Much like LuaJIT.

Hows this different then v8 engine compiling Javascript into c++ to machine? Yes web assembly is complete hype

WA VM has very limited instructions and types so it can be aggressively run.

I just don't get why JS is even still involved. Hell, even HTML should be optional. You should be able to build an entire web-based application using nothing but wasm and some sort of standard browser API for reading user interaction, drawing GUIs, etc...

i converted a c++ immediate mode gui i had to webassembly using emscripten
the only things I had to modify were threading (at the time i decided to ditch them altogether, don't know the state of things atm) and how i did websockets
strangely, i had to write c-style sockets, which gets translated into websockets automatically

overall pretty damn cool to have my existing application target the browser with minimal effort, worked flawlessly too

>should be able
you are able
you can go ahead and do it right now

That's not what their official statements were saying? They said that JS and HTML are required for wasm.

sorry yeah, you need some minor boilerplate to load your WASM, this can be generated by emscripten

i meant to say that you don't really need to touch HTML or JS directly at all, unless you want to interact with the DOM

not OP

How is compiling from $lang to JS in WASM dialect to bytecode with another layer of glue going to be faster than simple JS? Very limited instructions, OK. But how are those going to be interpreted?

I just don't get it. How can any C code run as JS in the browser and yield a better result than a program without browser?

I am having trouble understanding the concept. Yes, I tried google. But I simply do not get it.

HTML was made for some very different use case than what it is used for today. HTML is mostly used as an interface markup language to present you with menus, inputs, audio, video and interaction. It was not made for that. HTML itself is more like a networkable pdf.

It should be replaced entirely. WebDev is nothing but a series of ugly hacks. The only reason WebDevs think that they are somehow programming is because they have to use these hacks to make even simple things work.

source: I am a perl guy. As a perl guy I RTFM and learnt html/css/js and http as I Recently had to build a webpage from ground up. I was shocked by how fucked up it was. I then worked my way through templates and discovered the worst "code" that I had ever seen. Now, whenever I am browsing I get a bad feeling. And I see errors every-fucking-where. And I cannot blame the devs. I blame the wrong tool.

>I hope it takes off so that retards who think HTML5/CSS/JS is software development get BTFO of the industry.

I'd agree with you if this combination didn't create really decent software by "normie" standards (so shit that is used). Visual Code is amazing and beats every fucking code editor by miles, Discord killed TS in like a month, and Skype now uses Electron and nobody even realized. Its legit, as much as you may hate it.

Attached: 3529238327523.jpg (1079x1280, 141K)

JS is a good language. The 18 year olds starting their first year in comp sci here will tell you otherwise :)

WebAssembly is JavaScript in the backend though. Emscripten is just JS

>The only reason WebDevs think that they are somehow programming is because they have to use these hacks to make even simple things work
Or because they are programming you fucking hack using JS is the same programming as using Python C or Lisp or Haskell or whatever. Stop building a fake wall of what is "good" and what is "bad".

Attached: 1542664656214.png (450x489, 74K)

turning sql queries into html is barely programming

Its not really about speed or any of the other reasons. The end goal is completely removing any user control. A webpage will be a binary blob, encrypted eventually and with the new file system API they are working on...absolute botnet

Well, you obviously cannot even read. So please, tear down your wall of what you "understand" and do not.

Indeed. But whoever writes the page has still to use the tools which are still fucked up. WASM does not make html better, or does it? HTML is a document markup language. It was not intended to be used for programming and interfaces, which - lets face it - are most modern webpages: interfaces.

emscripten is written by retards. WASM is a good idea, but it just isn't there yet for most people.